Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter Nights - why are you guys so negative ?

Glabro

Novice
I must say, this thread has been a priceless read at 2:30 am....

I admit that I registered just to post this one reply, as it seems to me that the vocal majority
of the codex is ... how should I put it.... well, let´s just say that probably wouldn´t fit in here, and not because I don´t share the dislike of NWN that seems to be quite common here.

As for me, I can´t say I was disappointed with the game.
I expected two things out of it :
1. Well-done single-player modules from the fanbase
2. Well-done "persistent" multiplayer servers with mature roleplayers

I got both. Sure, most of the modules out there are utter crap. But I´ve never played them, let alone downloaded them. It was pretty easy for me to find well-made modules that I liked using NWvault - you couldn´t really go far wrong with the top reviewed and the most liked modules available. I don´t share the sentiment that an adventure needs to be professionally made in order to be worthy of my time.

As for the multiplayer part, I know that the majority of you were disappointed with it for various reasons. I know that if you just expect to play the single-player module online, or are trying to take your single-player level 20 character online, or are just trying to jump into a random server on Gamespy, you will be disappointed, that´s a given.
I also acknowledge that the majority of the players are morons and children - but that´s usually the case with most of the "mainstream" online games.

However, I don´t care for "the most" - I looked around on NWVault and the web, searching for a server that suited my tastes, and soon found one.
It was called Narfell, and I spent many months playing there. The people there were mostly all reasonable, adult roleplayers (If I remember correctly they screened the applicants a bit to get rid of most of the rubbish players - the rest got dealt with simply by their inability to get anywhere alone in the harsh land with their little level 1 characters). The characters were stored on the server, there was no cheating, and death was permanent, barring a spell of raise dead. And yes, it was very hard to gain levels - clerics of 9th level were truly a rarity.

Later on I left Narfell to join ALFA - admittedly a little too megalomanic project to recreate most of the Forgotten Realms on multiple servers - and they had the most meticulous of screening processes there is/was. Most applicants were rejected outright - it was elitist to the core. But then almost everyone that got in were great players - and there were over a thousand of them when I played (spread on different servers of course). The gaming experience I got out of ALFA is something was something extraordinary : online roleplaying with great people AND live DMs, that´s something I hope we´ll see more of in the future ( as a sidenote, I´m keeping an eye on WISH ).

In short - I got what I wanted, but ONLY after I spent a bit of time and effort searching for it.

After this long tirade/rant/whatever you want to call it, do I think that NWN was a good purchase for me and other roleplayers that can put a bit of effort into it? Naturally.

Do I think that it´s a great, flawless game, suitable for everyone out of the box? No.
It has its shortcomings, and there are quite a few of them.

The single-player campaign needs not mentioning - I never bothered to play it past the second chapter. I wasn´t really expecting it at all - but many, many people were.

In short, those who are either predisposed against unofficial modules and servers, or alternatively are unwilling to put any sort of effort into finding things to play don´t really find anything good in NWN. It´s somewhat understandable : for most it must feel like hunting for pearls in a pile of excrement. It really wasn´t like that for me, but I must have been different.

Then again, it´s debatable if this is the fault of the game or not....

Hm, I can´t come up with more gripes after all....the graphics are utilitarian, I really didn´t mind them....

Oh well, guess I´ll end up the long post already. As a sidenote, I haven´t touched NWN for at least a year....I moved on to other things - it really isn´t the end-all, be-all of games - but it provided, for me, much for my money, and it´s a game that´s very easy to go back to.

Thank you for reading. I´m not completely sure why I spent 45 minutes writing this, but I guess it passed the time....

PS. I took great care in trying not to insult anyone in the thread. However, I am of the opinion that "flaming" does nothing to get your point across, and is childish and a bit sad.
However, if taken to extremes, it becomes tragicomedy. Flame me if you must, but know that it won´t accomplish much : I won´t stick around and will probably not remember to check any responses anyway. But if you have something oonstructive to say and want me to take a look at it, feel free to PM me (assuming this forum has such a function - I didn´t check)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Now that's a good, well presented opinion. Thank you for your 45 minutes, Glabro.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Glabro said:
After this long tirade/rant/whatever you want to call it, do I think that NWN was a good purchase for me and other roleplayers that can put a bit of effort into it? Naturally.

My opinion is that I shouldn't have to put effort in to something beyond the work I've done to earn the cost of the game. NWN was $60 when it was released. You plop down that money, the rest should just be entertaining without having to scour NWVault for days and weeks to fine that pearl in the oyster bed, nor should you have to give people detailed reasons why you should be allowed to join their group with some kind of overly dorky geek resume.

Even then, I've tried a number of the modules people held up as "great modules", and most of them fell pretty flat. Well, not most, all so far. A large part of that is that I really didn't care much for the mechanics of the game itself as well as the limitations of the engine, but an equally large if not larger reason is that the modules just weren't written well or were rehashes of overly basic concepts without the writing skills to make them work.

Like Human Shield pointed out, I don't really care to buy a bunch of the D&D source materials and study up on them enough to successful get some 25 year old basement dwelling virgin to think I got what it takes when it comes to Forgotten Realms lore just to play the game's multiplayer in a manner where it is enjoyable.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"it was elitist to the core."

Yeah. ALFA showed that when they accepted me in no questions asked. Hahaha! then i quit 2 seconds after I started when I saw a screen size spider mving super slowly after my teamsmates after we found it in the sewers just below the city sreets.. and being level 1 we fled back to the above and it followed us for like 20 city blocks yet no Waterdeep Guard made a peep despite there being a big ass spdier coming to much on the citizens. Hahahaha....

P.S. The spider did rock though...

"My opinion is that I shouldn't have to put effort in to something"

Tell that to the TOEE fanboys.

baelstren

Educated
Patron
Insert Title Here
Good points, Glabro. There are NWN modules worth playing (hell, I even mentioned one 6 pages ago), but I only enjoyed those that didn't require the henchman crutch to compensate for Bioware's weird fusion of single-player gameplay and a party-based ruleset. The more story-oriented mods tend to work best, due to the fact that combat in NWN is simply unenjoyable.

There definitely are some good module creators out there, but they have to work with the same crappy tiles and hardcoded rules that everyone else does. For multiplay, this may not be a problem (if you're chatting with your friends), but it seems impossible to create an immersive atmosphere (i.e. one suitable for singeplayer) with the toolset. Whether it's the OC, Witches' Wake, or the Hall of Fame modules at NWVault, every town, cave, and dungeon starts to look the same.

Tiliqua

Liturgist
The original poster asked why we were so negative about NWN, I for one posted my reasons on Page 1 of this thread.

Sarvis you really are a dipshit. I was involved on the Bio Boards for years waiting for NWN to be released. I participated in lots of Guilds and PW projects while waiting and was devestated with NWN. There was no Guild activity in NWN worth squat because the engine just wasn't up to it. It was gut wrenching. The camera angles sucked, regardless of what you say to the contrary.

I played SWG obsessively for 6 mths and now there is an engine that has great graphics and can support Guild conflict (reb vs Imp) on a massive scale. If NWN used the SWG engine many of my complaints with NWN would not be relevent. If you want to see an engine use great camera angles check out SWG and then come back and apologise for daring to claim that NWNs camera angles and graphics are adequate. SWG created a seamless world that was truely magestic unlike the constant transitions that NWN gave me.

The henchmen were also a hideous joke but seeing as I couldn't stomach the OC it was largely irrelevent. In my earlier post I listed NWNs other failings, why should I keep having to repeat myself?

So don't come here trying to get me to change my mind. I lived and breathed NWN and was gutted by the finished product. Even though it was fatally flawed I still played it after release for nearly a year on a daily basis because of the DM client and also because some of the mods were fun if you could find a good group of people.

Unfortunately typing is the enemy of roleplaying and NWN turned out to be much more hack and slash than D&D roleplaying. This is the fault of the game, not the players. Trying to type in character was virtually impossible as other players would wander off not realizing that I was frantically typing. Hopefully VOIP will fix this problem.

So in conclusion, take your sucky fanboi comments to the Bio Boards where people will not only agree with you but will congratulate you on you insightful and wise views. I'm not interested in hearing about what a great game NWN is, it betrayed me and I'm still pissed about it.

Sarvis

Erudite
baelstren said:
There definitely are some good module creators out there, but they have to work with the same crappy tiles and hardcoded rules...

That's really more WoTC and D&D's fault really. They had to release a D&D game remember, not a RPG creation system. However, with Dragon Age they are making it much more possible to change the rules games will play by.

Here's the exact quote I saw, dunno if there has been anything else said about it because I haven't been paying very much attention lately:

Considering the amount of the engine that'll be exposed to modding, the first thing someone will likely do is turn it into D&D. - David Gaider

it seems impossible to create an immersive atmosphere (i.e. one suitable for singeplayer) with the toolset.

I don't know if you have tried it or not, but A Song of Ice and Fire had a really nice immersive atmosphere in my opinion. It's one of the few where I actually noticed the atmosphere really...

Sarvis

Erudite
Tiliqua said:
The original poster asked why we were so negative about NWN, I for one posted my reasons on Page 1 of this thread.

Sarvis you really are a dipshit. .

Yeah, I didn't bother to read past that point.

You're just as bad as Sheriff.

Hell, was even trying to engage in a more civil discourse on the topic just now!

xJEDx

Ok, explain all the flames on the first page then. What, you were getting ready for me to show up?

Sheriff05

Liturgist
I have to jump back in and say great posts by Tiliqua, Baelstren and Glabro
alll of whom have fewer posts than Sarvis. My over the top antics aside if you read this thread in its entirety there is damn good spread on exactly "why" NWN sucks with a dozen points of view that all cross reference each other. Of course those that want to miss the point will continue to do so, as trolls don't really come here to debate anyway.

the_dagon

Educated
so disappointed...

hi guys,

just coming by to say i'm disappointed.

I read the entire topic I started but I have to say it's quite a deception to read posts as sheriff05 did. here is a compilation of them:
"I called you a fucking loser because of the stupid shit you said...
Asshole, you don't get it nor are you likely to. Like a pig I'll leave you to wallow in your
own shit as they are also oblivous to their surroundings....FUCK YOU, I don't like your pathetic existence...The game sucks, you're a fucking loser...No, that's not why you fucking dimwit, too bad you can't fucking read either"

I don't think this guy can say something without insulting someone (yeah yeah, Sheriff05 you can start flaming me too -I should say insuld me-, I don't care).
The only thing Sarvis didn't understand is that's no use to answer to such people.

I thank Saint Proverbius, Tilika, Glabro, and all the ones who wrote a long and interesting reading to answer the post (sorry, I'm too sick to read through all the dumb insults again to get the names of the good posters).

again this post was for understanding why people are so negative about NWN.
It was not meant to be the detonator for Sheriff05 insulting machine. :cry:

good luck

Sarvis

Erudite
Sheriff05 said:
I have to jump back in and say great posts by Tiliqua, Baelstren and Glabro
alll of whom have fewer posts than Sarvis. My over the top antics aside if you read this thread in its entirety there is damn good spread on exactly "why" NWN sucks with a dozen points of view that all cross reference each other. Of course those that want to miss the point will continue to do so, as trolls don't really come here to debate anyway.

You've still entirely missed my point it seems.

Not that there _was_ any cross referencing here, just a lot of people saying very similar things.

Thing is, I don't think there was a single complaint here that isn't often heard from fans of the game as well!!! They just make them without flaming anyone or claiming that Bioware killed their puppy. Hell, even the harshest critics on the Bioware forums, like Visceris, don't go off the handle this easily!

Call me a troll if you wish, but you still spent 6 pages proving my point.

Tiliqua

Liturgist
No, we spent 6 pages fucking with your mind, it was fun and it amused us. Why should your ridiculous notions of what constitutes a debate mean anything to anyone. Codex is well known for its views on NWN, if you're stupid enough to try and prove that NWN is great, well more fool you - you deserve what you get.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Sarvis said:
Call me a troll if you wish, but you still spent 6 pages proving my point.

In six pages, have you come up with an actual point yet? I haven't seen one other than something about Sheriff05 insults you. That's not really a point though, just pointing out the obvious.

Maybe there was a point behind saying you've found four or five good modules out there out of the several thousands on NWVault. Then again, I think that really only backs up our point that the huge majority of modules out there totally suck wank. In two years time, sifting through thousands of modules, you can name five good ones. Jolly.

So, what was the point you had that's been proved again? Because, gosh darnit, I'm so interested in finding that out.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Re: so disappointed...

the_dagon said:
I don't think this guy can say something without insulting someone

Sure I can, but it takes a "special" kind of person to get my attention
you know the kind that needs to stick their finger in the light socket a dozen times
before they realize it hurts.

again this post was for understanding why people are so negative about NWN.
It was not meant to be the detonator for Sheriff05 insulting machine. :cry:

Next time, read the manual.

:D

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"flawed I still played it after release for nearly a year on a daily basis because of the DM client and also because some of the mods were fun if you could find a good group of people."

You played it for nearly a year despite thinking its a crappy game? You are almost as moronic as Sarvis and Sherriff. Almost.

"This is the fault of the game,"

If you or anyone else can't role-play in NWN that is most assuredly your fault. What did you expect? For the game to hold your hand through the process? That doesn't even happen in pnp.

Vault Dweller

Developer
PETISHUN!:

Volourn, for fuck's sake, either use the standard quote thingy or include the name as a reference. We understand that you are on a quest to become the most unique individual evar, and catch phrases like R00fles! help you establish and define your individuality, and compete with Gromnir's Good Fun!, who, coincidentally, doesn't use quotes too, but some consideration would be appreciated.

Tiliqua

Liturgist
Volourn said:
You played it for nearly a year despite thinking its a crappy game? You are almost as moronic as Sarvis and Sherriff. Almost.

NWN for me bacame like a job you hate but you hang in there because you like your workmates. It was hard for me to disengage as I was a senior member of a number of Guilds and I really liked the people I'd been around, by then for several years.

However you're probably right, I must have fallen out of the moron tree to keep playing a game that annoyed me so much.

Sarvis

Erudite
Tiliqua said:
No, we spent 6 pages fucking with your mind, it was fun and it amused us. Why should your ridiculous notions of what constitutes a debate mean anything to anyone. Codex is well known for its views on NWN, if you're stupid enough to try and prove that NWN is great, well more fool you - you deserve what you get.

Wow. Still missing the point.

Maybe this will clarify it for you:

Try to point out where I ever claimed NWN was a great game.

Hell, in my last post I pointed out that most of the things you complain about are the same things fans of the game complain about. Yeah, I'm really trying to prove how great the game is with that!

One last thing, if the game was so bad... how did you get to be a guildmaster in the first place? I mean seriously, if I hate a game I stop playing it within a day or two. Yet you apparently kept up with the shittiest game ever long enough to become a member in several guilds and have all kinds of friends on it. Saying you kept on because of those friendships doesn't really help your point, because how the hell were you there long enough to form them in the first place?

Volourn

Wow. You just proved that you belong here! I guess I must've really said something bad about you to get flamed like that...

Saint_Proverbius

If you aren't going to read my posts why are you trying to talk about them? I clearly stated my point over 5 times, at least one of which was in all caps. If you missed it you are either just jumping on the "Flame Sarvis Bandwagon" or have serious reading comprehension problems.

I didn't say there were four or 5 good modules out of thousands, I just said those were SOME of my favorites. The absolute best of the best. By your logic we would have to assume there were only 3 good athletes/teams in any given Olympic event!

Spazmo

Erudite
Now, I haven't read most of this thread because it's boring and shitty, but if you're not trying to say that NWN is a good game and you're trying to counter arguments that it's a bad game, does that mean you're ultimately saying it's an average game?

Because I pretty much agree there.

Sarvis

Erudite
Spazmo said:
Now, I haven't read most of this thread because it's boring and shitty, but if you're not trying to say that NWN is a good game and you're trying to counter arguments that it's a bad game, does that mean you're ultimately saying it's an average game?

Because I pretty much agree there.

I only recently started trying to counter arguments, and counter may not be the best word to use either considering I agreed with some of their points.

It can be a little tricky to talk about though. The Official Campaign was average at best. If you consider that the game then yeah, it wouldn't have been worth the money.

Basically, I think if you are not willing to find and play user made content the game would be kind of bad. However, there have been a LOT of modules I've enjoyed playing. I'd also dare to say that the expansion campaigns were much more enjoyable. I'm sure I'll get flamed for that, but I'll get flamed anyway so why not!

A lot of the things people here say are true, if a little unforgiving. The same complaints are made by many fans of the game. It's the rancor with which their opinions are often given that gets me all pissed off.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sarvis said:
A lot of the things people here say are true, if a little unforgiving. The same complaints are made by many fans of the game. It's the rancor with which their opinions are often given that gets me all pissed off.
What's wrong with people expressing their opinions as they see fit? Especially if what they say is true? Just because you've managed to amuse yourself with fan modules and thus made it less painful, doesn't mean that people who dismissed the modules are wrong. Regardless of how it all started, at some point Bio promised epic and awesome OC, and that's why many people bought it and were disappointed. I assume that some people also bought it for other reasons (multiplayer, DnD, PnP experience) and were disappointed too. Point is, people who are giving their opinion with the rancor you object so strongly to, have the reason for the dislike and were not obligated to try something else to justify $50 spent on hype and good intentions.

Spazmo

Erudite
Actually, unless I'm mistaken, NWN was closer to $60 at release. At least, I paid $80 + tax for it and I'm loosely converting back to USD, but I recall it being slightly more expensive than the common $50 mark.

Sarvis

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Sarvis said:
What's wrong with people expressing their opinions as they see fit? Especially if what they say is true? Just because you've managed to amuse yourself with fan modules and thus made it less painful, doesn't mean that people who dismissed the modules are wrong. Regardless of how it all started, at some point Bio promised epic and awesome OC, and that's why many people bought it and were disappointed. I assume that some people also bought it for other reasons (multiplayer, DnD, PnP experience) and were disappointed too. Point is, people who are giving their opinion with the rancor you object so strongly to, have the reason for the dislike and were not obligated to try something else to justify $50 spent on hype and good intentions.

Right, you can hate the game all you want. I can understand if you were disappointed, and even are upset with Bioware about it. But when you call the fan base morons or saying all the module builders are lazy you have ceased stating your opinion about the game and started being an asshole.

That one about module builders being lazy is especially ironic considering the thread stickied at the top of this forum!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom