Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

ArchAngel

Arcane
I deserve a medal and a special title.

Yes, you do deserve a special title.

Infinitron, why can people circumvent the Dumbfuck! tag by creating alts? Roqua was dumbfucked once, it is time his hard-earned title was restored to him.
:negative: Not again,sharing a tag with truly dumb people hurts my feels. Last time was anvi trying to educate bunch of people in a Thief thread how Thief games are shit because they don't have water arrows and you have to hide. Why are all those idiots going around showing their intellectual inferiority,and then proudly stating that they are the smartest person that have blessed the codex with its existence,and how dumb everyone else is?
Don't worry, you got two so you are still winning the shitposter race.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Cael hasn't been here long and it's already put monocled 'Dexers on ignore. Its butthurt is palpable.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Cael hasn't been here long and it's already put monocled 'Dexers on ignore. Its butthurt is palpable.
Ignoring people is a show of cuntiness,even the annoying assholes. A true man laugh at the cowardice of people that only rate him and don't talk back.

Infinitron, why can people circumvent the Dumbfuck! tag by creating alts? Roqua was dumbfucked once, it is time his hard-earned title was restored to him.
:negative: Not again,sharing a tag with truly dumb people hurts my feels. Last time was anvi trying to educate bunch of people in a Thief thread how Thief games are shit because they don't have water arrows and you have to hide. Why are all those idiots going around showing their intellectual inferiority,and then proudly stating that they are the smartest person that have blessed the codex with its existence,and how dumb everyone else is?
They are pretty amusing,hope that the edgy one stays forever. By the way,which archangel are you?

Anyway,putting a party control will fuck up most of the game's balance. Maybe a partial control over the henchman will be good. Like pointing him what to smash and telling him what to cast.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ignoring people is a show of cuntiness,even the annoying assholes. A true man laugh at the cowardice of people that only rate him and don't talk back.

They are pretty amusing,hope that the edgy one stays forever. By the way,which archangel are you?

Anyway,putting a party control will fuck up most of the game's balance. Maybe a partial control over the henchman will be good. Like pointing him what to smash and telling him what to cast.
?? Are there multiple ones?
I have not seen another one.

Codex Year of the Donut
Can you stop being retarded for once in your life?
Both real time and turn based have their own advantajes and disadvantajes. In turn based you have all the time in the world to think, in real time you are forced to make decisions on the fly.
Questions like: do you stay in melee, do you fall back, is it time to use a consumable, or a skill, should i assist another character, or change the priority of my targets.
Combat in games, to most people is action packed and with split second decisions (but you are too old and shitty for that, so turn based fits you more).

Theres merit to both of them. And i find its more of a question of what kind of combat fits what you are going for more. There are quite a few turn based rpgs with horrible combat that would have been better off with real time mechanics instead, and other games that are complete shit in real time that would have benefited tremendously from turn based gameplay instead.

RTwP is shit compared to TB.

toee2.jpg

toee.jpg

This, RTwP was a massive mistake. It was a blight upon the genre considering modern cRPGs feel the need to emulate such a crappy system for some reason.
The only RTwP combat system I found remotely enjoyable was DA:O. Mostly because of its tactics system to control party members let me play it like an actual action RPG instead of playing a babysitting simulator.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Yep, RTwP is the most pernicious system to be inflicted on the subgenre of D&D games. People go on about "mage duels in BG2", but they would have been better in turn-based (see ToEE's Lareth with Co8/Temple+: awesome, and it's only low level). Also, pathing routines are not up to snuff. Even DA:O has shitty pathing.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
The main thing I like about RTwP is that it allows you to skip most "trash fights" by just Hasting your frontline and just going forward while you drink coffee and make mini adjustments here and there. It goes generally faster and more pleasant than, say, an encounter with leather-wearing raiders in Fallout 2, each of them taking time to make their move even if it's ultimately meaningless. The only turn-based system that I saw where fights were even less padded in comparison was in the M&M 3-5 games, where Heroism / Holy Power allowed you to just zip past all sorts of baddies by just holding a brick on the "A" button; everything else has much more "bloat" and can get somewhat tedious if you *really* aren't feeling like going through another random combat encounter.

Of course, the problem is, the industry really shouldn't *rely* on trash fights, and most of Baldur's Gate encounters are actually quite intelligently designed, with ambushes, some terrain usage, villains fighting you in trap filled rooms and what not; RTwP might not "help" the combat system much, but BG, on its own, is a fun combat game. But yeah, if most of your combat is filler between story segments, any sort of real time system is probably what you'd prefer as a design concept, especially if majority of the public believe "turn-based" games are passe. But it's regrettable for sure.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Yeah, you obviously design combat encounters around the combat system you employ. RTwP encouraged decadent combat encounter design (trashmobs). IE campaigns would be different if TB — superior. Anyone who honestly prefers RTwP to TB in light of that is an agent of decline.

Not to mention:

toee.jpg

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
That said.. FPC would probably make my top 5 - now that I think about it. It would be non-trivial to add though.

I've said that it's a great feature on Lilura's blog. But a couple of commenters have made good arguments against it. At the end of the day it WOULD change the game dramatically. And NWN2 already has full party support.

So it's probably not gonna happen. That being said, I think it is definitely on my top 2 wishlist items for NWN. Top being Turn Based combat , which will never happen. Second is FPC, which apparently is never gonna happen either.

316300730170343424.png

Someone is working on converting NWN2 to turnbased.

No reason it couldn't be done for NWN1. Not much point without FPC though. IMO
NWN1 combat is already boring and slow enough.

Also modules would need to be redesigned around turn based combat with creature density ect.

You've put me on ignore for disagreeing with you.
They grow up so fast.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

I will give you credit that you managed to upset me a few times. And yes, I've promoted Mr. Botelle's module because it's replete with mechanics/UI mods that go beyond what most people have managed. Of course, it's not true TB combat, though.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

I will give you credit that you managed to upset me a few times. And yes, I've promoted Mr. Botelle's module because it's replete with mechanics/UI mods that go beyond what most people have managed. Of course, it's not true TB combat, though.

It could be. There's nothing in the engine preventing him from going to full turn based.
Ideally an action point buy system, since the game is so tightly coupled to RtWP mechanics, some things like Greater Cleave would need to be handled carefully.

But the concept of charging AP for movement / actions, and pausing the world ala TimeStop effect.. all totally doable in both engines.

Also lol.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
It could be. There's nothing in the engine preventing him from going to full turn based.
Ideally an action point buy system, since the game is so tightly coupled to RtWP mechanics, some things like Greater Cleave would need to be handled carefully.

But the concept of charging AP for movement / actions, and pausing the world ala TimeStop effect.. all totally doable in both engines.

Have you played ToEE and Jagged Alliance 2? It would be incredibly difficult for even someone with source code access to realize such systems in Aurora/Electron.

Also lol.

Asshole.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Standardizing movement rules (e.g, measuring 5-foot step precisely), draggable initiative order, proper multi-shaped spell-targeting visual aids for AoE placement, fitting the anims to discrete turns (with AoOs) etc. etc.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Standardizing movement rules (e.g, measuring 5-foot step precisely), draggable initiative order, proper multi-shaped spell-targeting visual aids for AoE placement, fitting the anims to discrete turns (with AoOs) etc. etc.

None of these are really challenges. IMO.

The only problems I see is hooking into a combat round and the amount of time to code / test all of this.
For the first one you would need a UI to facilitate taking "actions" maybe similar to ToEE. (Unless the module was single player, than you could bounce off the OnAttacked event of npc's.)

I think you wildly underestimate how malleable this engine is.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
All engines are malleable when you have access to source code. But I just said it's going to be difficult. You need the will and know-how. No one so far has both. What you linked to above is a caricature of TB, just like minion control hacks are a caricature of tried-and-true FPC.

Tag me when a modder or Beam-mutt achieves ToEE power, flexibility, control/feedback in Aurora/Electron.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
All engines are malleable when you have access to source code. But I just said it's going to be difficult. You need the will and know-how. No one so far has both. What you linked to above is a caricature of TB, just like minion control hacks are a caricature of tried-and-true FPC.

Tag me when a modder or Beam-mutt achieves ToEE power, flexibility, control and feedback in Aurora/Electron.

You misunderstood again. Everything you suggested could be done with NWScript.
You wouldn't even need source code.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
You misunderstood again. Everything you suggested could be done with NWScript.

So it's been 16 years since NWN went gold and no one's scripted it. Like I said, tag me when you have written up a proposal and I will promote your endeavor. Hell, I will make you an author on my blog so you can keep a dev diary of your progress.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
TB/FPC in Aurora/Electron: all talk, nothing but caricatures.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
TB/FPC in Aurora/Electron: all talk, nothing but caricatures.

Electron already has FPC.
ToEE styled turn based could be added if someone wanted to spend the time, even without source code.

I don't know what your point is anymore.
You seem to just be throwing a hissy fit that nobody will do what you tell them to. :lol:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

It's still a caricature in that it lacks portrait dragging for party member reordering and accurate positional/movement formations (read: kludge).

You seem to just be throwing a hissy fit that nobody will do what you tell them to.

Not at all. No one has had the will and know-how for what is approaching two decades. Keep dreaming Aurora/Electron can be like ToEE/JA2. :smug:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
lacks portrait dragging for party member reordering

Are you autistic?

Immortal said:
You seem to just be throwing a hissy fit that nobody will do what you tell them to.
Keep dreaming Aurora/Electron can be like ToEE/JA2. :smug:

I can promise you, I don't dream that. When did you become so obsessed with ToEE?
A few months ago, everything needed to be Swordflight.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Are you autistic?

Why? Because I want to control who is in the front-line at all times, when Electron reshuffles party order randomly upon area transition?

When did you become so obsessed with ToEE?

Posted write-up for Temple+ quite a while ago. Played ToEE on and off since it came out.

A few months ago everything needed to be Swordflight.

Waiting on 4th installment. The only reason to bother with NWN.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom