Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

neverwinter nights 2 is a piece of shit

Alex

Arcane
I did find the camera pretty damn annoying. I haven't played the whole game, but what I saw of it seemed like it would have been much better if done as a 2D Isometric game. I had to keep rotating the camera in order to see stuff that would inevitably end up hidden.

Alex

Arcane
Quake is a different business. It actually uses the three dimensions in its gameplay. NWN2 (and NWN, for that matter, though not to the same extent) boil down to 2D games that use 3D graphics. The only purpose of the 3d seems to get in your way, making playing the game clunkier.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Andyman Messiah said:
I will never understand why so many hate NWN2's camera. It's like every other fucking camera. If it gives you "trouble", move it! Holy shit, you guys, it's not complicated. It's nice and topdown and you can instruct it to not move along with your character.

Fuck, I highly prefer NWN2 over Dragon Age's camera. That fucker zooms in and out constantly when you move. Try climbing stairs or a mountain in DA. The camera drives me nuts. Instant zoom for no reason! And I have to pause and manually zoom out and then I unpause and Wynne starts screaming HEROIC AURA HEROIC AURA again I FUCKING HATE YOU ALL. It's like injecting broken glass into your anus. Someone's going to find it funny but that someone isn't going to be you.

Neverwinter Nights 2 is great and I will fight you all.

:salute:

bhlaab

Erudite
Alex said:
Quake is a different business. It actually uses the three dimensions in its gameplay. NWN2 (and NWN, for that matter, though not to the same extent) boil down to 2D games that use 3D graphics. The only purpose of the 3d seems to get in your way, making playing the game clunkier.

Yeah, having a fully rotatable overhead camera just means you can't NOT make the environments clunky to navigate. And when you're going through a cave dungeon crawl losing track of where north is gets frustrating. Why not keep the angle fixed?

Playing NWN2 now, skipped the OC and jumped straight into MotB. Not really seeing what makes it that much better. The writing is more intelligent than most rpgs but still not very interesting so far, so I'm not seeing the comparisons to Planescape: Torment outside of the obvious setting-related stuff.

Murk

Arcane
Technological aspect aside, there's people who think NWN 1's content was better than 2's?

Really?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Mikayel said:
Technological aspect aside, there's people who think NWN 1's content was better than 2's?

Really?
Well there's Volly and... err... racofer maybe? who else?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Andyman Messiah said:
It's like injecting broken glass into your anus.

:lol:

I found DA's combat, before setting it to Easy, to be incitive of that exact feeling. Now, since then, I just go *yawn* die. *yawn* die. *yawn* ooh, a dragon.

I still can't seem to finish it, though.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Sceptic said:
Mikayel said:

Really?
Well there's Volly and... err... racofer maybe? who else?

Considering that I've seen NWN's content, albeit being total shit, I can't say I have managed to do the same regarding the sequel given the terribad presentation.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Not yet.

I've been really short on time these past few months, but now I should have the time to continue my career as a Gray Warden. I also haven't played Golems of Amgarrak yet out of all the DLCs.

But I will most likely start a new character and make a complete and thorough playthrough and have my "perfect save" ready for when DA2 comes out.

Mikayel said:

Really?

NWN OC Vs NWN 2 OC? No. Fuck no. Willingly playing the NWN OC should be grounds for being institutionalized.

NWN HotU vs NWN 2? Yeah, in some ways.

Whether HotU should be compared to NWN 2 is a valid question, but when NWN 2 was released it was obviously compared to the most recent NWN release which was HotU.

Murk

Arcane
OC to OC would be the comparison -- if we allow for additional content then we must take into account all officially produced additional content for each game, in which case MotB, SoZ, and Mysteries of Westgate would easily counter HotU.

My point is that the popular opinion of NWN 2 didn't wait to be formed after MotB/SoZ/MoW were all released. Looking back objectively NWN 2 + expansions was better then NWN 1 + expansions, but at the time NWN 2 was released no one was saying 'its OK the NWN OC was shit too, I'm sure the expansions will be better'. This is why you see so many people talking about how NWN 2 is shit, because they are comparing the worst of the NWN 2 series with the best of the NWN 1 series. One would EXPECT NWN 2 to be better then HotU simply because it was the next NWN and games are (hopefully) expected to improve with each iteration, not to take a step back in quality.

xemous

Arcane
You don't start an RPG by making a standard DND char with all the bells and whistles then discovering that means nothing because it turns out you're the adopted son of some faggot elf and need to do your chores before you can play with your friends.

bhlaab

Erudite
xemous said:
You don't start an RPG by making a standard DND char with all the bells and whistles then discovering that means nothing because it turns out you're the adopted son of some faggot elf and need to do your chores before you can play with your friends.

What? Almost every fantasy rpg starts that way.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
bhlaab said:
xemous said:

What? Almost every fantasy rpg starts that way.
I remember a time when every RPG started in a tavern, till some day, some guy somehow decided it was too cliché.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Overweight Manatee said:
One would EXPECT NWN 2 to be better then HotU simply because it was the next NWN and games are (hopefully) expected to improve with each iteration, not to take a step back in quality.
I would actually argue that, at least in some ways, NWN2 OC was better than HotU. First, it had a real party, that you could actually control. Second, it didn't feature the epically retarded D&D epic levels, and it failed to have any of MotB's awesomeoness that allows ignoring the retardedness. And third, as much as I consider the NWN2 version of Aurora to be an abomination, it was still marginally less abominable than original Aurora.

Overweight Manatee said:
My point is that the popular opinion of NWN 2 didn't wait to be formed after MotB/SoZ/MoW were all released. Looking back objectively NWN 2 + expansions was better then NWN 1 + expansions, but at the time NWN 2 was released no one was saying 'its OK the NWN OC was shit too, I'm sure the expansions will be better'. This is why you see so many people talking about how NWN 2 is shit, because they are comparing the worst of the NWN 2 series with the best of the NWN 1 series. One would EXPECT NWN 2 to be better then HotU simply because it was the next NWN and games are (hopefully) expected to improve with each iteration, not to take a step back in quality.

Well, this explains why codexers are such angry cunts all the time. You can't expect anything, that's not how things work.

Erebus

Arcane
The horrible memories of NWN1 OC (I hadn't played HotU) actually made me find NWN2 OC almost decent at the time. Not good, obviously, but significantly above my extraordinarily low expectations.

grotsnik

Arcane
Sceptic said:
I would actually argue that, at least in some ways, NWN2 OC was better than HotU. First, it had a real party, that you could actually control. Second, it didn't feature the epically retarded D&D epic levels, and it failed to have any of MotB's awesomeoness that allows ignoring the retardedness. And third, as much as I consider the NWN2 version of Aurora to be an abomination, it was still marginally less abominable than original Aurora.

Party-wise and engine-wise, totally with you.

That said, if you put a gun to my head, I'd definitely pick playing through HOTU to playing through NWN2 OC. It's gracious enough to actually give you a fairly interesting variety of places to explore and - most unlike NWN2 - it never outstays its welcome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom