Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Need to FINISH TOEE DAMNIT!

Cynic

Arcane
Haha well I did it, then the guard came looking for me and killed my ass pretty good. If I win a fight with them do they just keep coming? I want to get away with murder.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They'll only attack if you have the Butcher of Hommlet reputation, check to see if you have it. They don't respawn but that'll put an end to all friendly relations in the town.

Cynic

Arcane
Roguey said:
They'll only attack if you have the Butcher of Hommlet reputation, check to see if you have it. They don't respawn but that'll put an end to all friendly relations in the town.

Damn, yeah I got the Butcher of Hommlet rep. Bit shit now cuz everyone attacks me. Guess I will go back to an earlier save and miss out on that save. I'll come back and kill them later.

circ

Arcane
Cynic said:
Uhh just a question. When exploring, obviously the black areas are meant to light up as you walk through them and show what's there. I am not able to walk through a lot of the unexplored areas though, if I click on them the game kind of bugs out a bit and freezes for 1 second and the movement is cancelled. Anyone else experience this?
If I remember correctly, the FOW is bugged and needs to be disabled with COE mod, which improves performance too.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Cynic said:
Damn, yeah I got the Butcher of Hommlet rep. Bit shit now cuz everyone attacks me. Guess I will go back to an earlier save and miss out on that save. I'll come back and kill them later.

Sit down, son. Uncle Crispy wants to have a little talk with you.

What's the matter with you? Seriously, how could you come to the conclusion that the results of your murderous actions in the game being serious and detrimental to your success later on are a "bit shit"? What did you expect? To just have everyone else in the town continue on as if somehow their memories were erased? Do you prefer the Oblivion-like obliviousness to the highest crimes possible so that you can simply waltz into anyone's home and act out your Jack the Ripper fantasies while looting their coffers?

Is this what you envision a good RPG to be?

Let me tell you something. If that's how you feel, you are part of the decline. By not holding yourself and the game to a higher standard, you have given in to the derp and are perpetuating it. You’re not doing so by experimenting with those actions, no, but by coming here and complaining about their perfectly reasonable and logical consequences you do yourself and all of us here a great disservice. Oh, I realize you may not be entirely serious about it and that you may fully intend on going back and correcting your mistakes, playing the game "clean" after realizing there’s no magic switch to turn off what’s actually right about the game, but I think deep down, you really wish you could just "get away with it".

Shame on you, son. You should be better than that. Sure, explore all paths in the game. See what happens when you attack the mage of the tower, or tell the head cleric to go fuck himself. That's part of the fun of it. But unless you're willing to live with those choices and play out the scenario, reveling in the fact that the game's designers actually took the time to give a shit about and implement some decent C&C, and afterwords you find that existing C&C lacking or otherwise non-satisfactory, don't come back here and whine about it. We don't like that kind of behavior around here.

No one can tell you how to play your game. You're your own judge while doing that. But here, on the Codex, you're not going to get away with any namby-pamby talk about "Oh, why couldn't I steel that dude's sword after gutting him and his guards without everyone attacking me? That's shit. Oh!" Forget about it. Try taking a little responsibility for your actions and expecting more of the games you play. If enough of us did that, if we continue to maintain what little a crumbling bastion of RPG credulity we have left, we may manage to hold off the Hordes of the Underderp long enough to emerge into a new era someday.

It's doubtful, but we've got to try.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Crispy said:
Cynic said:

What's the matter with you? Seriously, how could you come to the conclusion that the results of your murderous actions in the game being serious and detrimental to your success later on are a "bit shit"? What did you expect? To just have everyone else in the town continue on as if somehow their memories were erased? Do you prefer the Oblivion-like obliviousness to the highest crimes possible so that you can simply waltz into anyone's home and act out your Jack the Ripper fantasies while looting their coffers?

Let me tell you something. If that's how you feel, you are part of the decline. By not holding yourself and the game to a higher standard, you have given in to the derp and are perpetuating it. You’re not doing so by experimenting with those actions, no, but by coming here and complaining about their perfectly reasonable and logical consequences you do yourself and all of us here a great disservice. Oh, I realize you may not be entirely serious about it and that you may fully intend on going back and correcting your mistakes, playing the game "clean" after realizing there’s no magic switch to turn off what’s actually right about the game, but I think deep down, you really wish you could just "get away with it".

Shame on you, son. You should be better than that. Sure, explore all paths in the game. See what happens when you attack the mage of the tower, or tell the head cleric to go fuck himself. That's part of the fun of it. But unless you're willing to live with those choices and play out the scenario, reveling in the fact that the game's designers actually took the time to give a shit about and implement some decent C&C, and afterwords you find that existing C&C lacking or otherwise non-satisfactory, don't come back here and whine about it. We don't like that kind of behavior around here.

No one can tell you how to play your game. You're your own judge while doing that. But here, on the Codex, you're not going to get away with any namby-pamby talk about "Oh, why couldn't I steel that dude's sword after gutting him and his guards without everyone attacking me? That's shit. Oh!" Forget about it. Try taking a little responsibility for your actions and expecting more of the games you play. If enough of us did that, if we continue to maintain what little a crumbling bastion of RPG credulity we have left, we may manage to hold off the Hordes of the Underderp long enough to emerge into a new era someday.

:salute:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jaesun said:
Crispy said:
Cynic said:

Cynic

Arcane
Crispy said:
Cynic said:

Calm down mate. I tried to continue for quite a while, playing the role of the butcher. But basically just kept dying. So this path is impossible for me to continue. Actually I would have loved to have role played this through to the end, but decided that it's going to be a detriment to my gaming experience to try not to die every 5 minutes. And also, I felt it was pretty idiotic of the game that now that I killed some guys, EVERYONE knows about it and the ENTIRE Inn attacks me regardless of all of their individual alignments etc., Maybe some people can put up with it, but not me I just don't have enough time. Are you saying that to be "true" I need to just die and roll up a new party and start again tabletop style?

I didn't mean that it's shit that the guard attacks me. I meant that my decision to do that is a bit shit obviously. I actually think it's obviously appropriate that the guard attacks me. So, as I said, I may come back later when I'm a bit higher level and the guardsmen aren't so strong.

I wasn't really complaining at all, just talking really. You take yourself way too seriously.

Cynic

Arcane
circ said:
Cynic said:
Uhh just a question. When exploring, obviously the black areas are meant to light up as you walk through them and show what's there. I am not able to walk through a lot of the unexplored areas though, if I click on them the game kind of bugs out a bit and freezes for 1 second and the movement is cancelled. Anyone else experience this?
If I remember correctly, the FOW is bugged and needs to be disabled with COE mod, which improves performance too.

Oh right cool, I will disable it thanks for the tip

Cynic

Arcane
I didn't pick the Death Knight of Krynn's avatar because I just "thought it looked cool"

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Cynic said:
And also, I felt it was pretty idiotic of the game that now that I killed some guys, EVERYONE knows about it and the ENTIRE Inn attacks me regardless of all of their individual alignments etc.,
That's how it works in nearly every RPG with a reputation system. Nuances are difficult, so word spreads fast.

Edit: I also ran through this myself and no, Zert, Furnok, Kobort, and Turuko (god these names are dumb) do not attack you at the inn if you get the butcher reputation so it's not "regardless of all of their individual alignments." And apparently the latest Co8 release from late last year set it so that only Burne's Badgers attack you and villagers run away on sight, so there's always that.

RatFink

Educated
yeah, well..good on ya crispy. now that this is out of the way

I just started this..which means two days worth of the time I have to play a computer game were spent to plan out a party and trying to roll proper character abilities/create them.
..powergaming yadda yadda yadda...im playing a dwarven barbarian, a human cleric, a human fighter/rogue, a half elven bard and a human wizard now and am pretty happy for the time being. not that sure about my feat choices actually but i will see how they play out..and with all the time rolling fuckin virtual dice I cant wait to see how my characters are doing IN game!
after character creation I am now walking around town to see whats what and tried to pay a visit to the giant spiders where I really had my ass handed to me by 2 of these eight legged bastards.. I managed to kill both with two people dying and poisoned plus some more badly wounded and poisened. I thought this is because I am too weak for giant spiders, so I guess i will continue my party of brave neutral good adventurers which already have a place in my heart.

after reading this whole thrad, I basically really wanted to see what all the fuzz was about with toees combat system.
and thus far I am getting a really good vibe off of this game!

Cynic

Arcane
Combat is definitely awesome. Love the game so far, it really does feel like a classic PnP campaign on computer.

Cynic

Arcane
Hmm, any one else had this bug? I was in the moathouse and killed some zombies, but an Ogre saw me. I fled combat, all good. Now if I try reentering the room where the carnage happened, the game just crashes. I'm playing with CoE btw. I have another save just before I went into killing those zombies, but I need to know, is this something I should avoid doing then? As in, fleeing combat ever? Is this a common bug?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom