Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Need help with NWN OC

Zakhad

Savant
"My Love. Are you serious? OC is terrible. SOU has the decency of being at less awkward about the entire story"

Toolbag. SOU introdcued Deekin. Deekin'. Fukkin' deekin. One of BIO's top 3 worst shittiest joinables fukkin' ever. Deekin. FFS BIO's answer to Jar Jar. FOR FUCK SAKES.

Deekin is the hero bioware deserves.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
DUN DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
DUN DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

I paused mid-combat to laugh a bit.
Dat kobold :lol:
Did Biodocs create Jar Jar Binks in AD&D?

Zeriel

Arcane
Infinity Ward? :lol:

That really confused me. I even went so far as to google Infinity Ward on the off-chance they might have produced some weird RPG-influenced shooter before Modern Warfare, only to realize I was being trolled like fuck.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Deekin. FFS BIO's answer to Jar Jar. FOR FUCK SAKES.

So true. Deekin is, in fact, exactly like Jar Jar Binks. I bet he was why Bioware was put in charge of TOR. However, with the exception of Grimgnaw, all the joinables in the OC were still terrible characters, especially Daelan Fake-Indian and Linu Laneril, the only ones who were even marginally useful.

SoU, was, in fact, terrible, worse than the OC. The OCs story was a bit bland, but SoU just felt goofy and random. First the mountains, then a hobbit caravan to the desert, because its urgent. Also flying city. Hordes of the Underdark was pretty fun for a while though. Even with Deekin. Although, the story was fairly bloated, which didn't really mesh well with its dungeon crawl focus.

waywardOne

Arcane
Both the OC and SoU felt like tech demos to show modders what the game could do. I remember looking at the .module in the toolset and seeing how they overemphasized every new feature.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I ran across that finally, and they didn't seem to write low intellect in mind.

nwmain%202012-12-24%2021-31-30-13.jpg

Note the INT 8 and the 'normal manner of speech.' Guess they overlook this one.
It's pretty obvious that there were many disparate groups of people working on the game with different ideas in mind, and sometimes they just ended up doing their work independent of one another.

The lapse of low INT options here clearly demonstrates this was the case. Some people wanted every dialogue option to change with level of INT, while others wanted to ignore it because it would interfere with their own quest design. It's like people worked separately on their own assigned quests, and it was all collectively dumped together in the same game. Hence the inconsistent style of NWN OC.

RK47

Patron
Thing is, I was looking forward to the showdown of two Blackguards too....and they didn't implement retard speech there.
It's almost as if Retard's mind was illuminated when trying to convince Aribeth not to go against NWN.
Ehh, fuck it, I killed her anyway.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Also flying city."

Fuck you. What's wrong with flying cities? And, it's not like BIO made it up. It is FR lore.

"trying to convince Aribeth not to go against NWN."

Why would she go against Neverwinter Nights? Do you eman she's side with POR2 or TOEE instead?

I think you mean Neverwinter as in the city not Neverwinter Nights as in the game.

R00fles fukkin' R00fles!

RK47

Patron
*imagines Volourn speaking in Deekin's voice*

Humor me a bit Volly, if you want to multi a Sorc/Pally, which class should get priority in leveling first?
I'm thinking of starting SoU campaign and carry him over to HotU later on.

Nothing wrong with flying cities. The grab bag plot was the problem. Although it does fit the setting. FR lore is kind of a grab bag itself in a "Lets take all fantasy tropes, all fantasy races, analogues to all major historical civilizations, all mythologies (real or imagined), and jam them all together in one place and retcon the shit out of it every five years or so" kind of way.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really liked the first chapter of SoU with its investigative vibe. Tracking down the kobolds in the blinding snow, finding out what became of them.

It's true that the subsequent chapters weren't as interesting, but they were still better than OC.

RK47

Patron
He was turning into a liche to have the power to protect Charwood.
:lol:

The bear is true neutral - the hunter is greedy and abuses nature. Haven't you watched Avatar? I really recommmend it.

:M

But, .. but... DINOSAURS!

RK47

Patron
i duno, fun is subjective. I just find it absolute shit near the start where stuff can really fuck u up real quick if you're not careful. Then mid game, with buff pots n spells shit got better, i started doing 'dungeon rushes' where i full buff and start killing every single living thing in one swoop before the buffs wore off. once everything's dead, i start the slow looting process of bashing chests etc. that was moderately fun.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't think it's possible to make fun combat encounters in a single-character D&D game where you can choose from nearly all the classes. You'd have to try out a mod made specifically for certain classes.

RK47

Patron
Yep, it really felt like Diablo at time with the bastardized D&D mechanics and some persuasion checks in dialogues.

I really liked the first chapter of SoU with its investigative vibe. Tracking down the kobolds in the blinding snow, finding out what became of them.

It's true that the subsequent chapters weren't as interesting, but they were still better than OC.

That's true, the first chapter wasn't bad. I might be selling it short because I thought it ended weakly by having the fights against the final chapter enemies come down to using a unique item.

But I still think the OC was better than SoU. It was inconsistent and chock full of filler, but there were some good parts. Generally, the problem with OC was blandness. SoU went too far in the other direction, and ended up too gimmicky, especially the characters - the dwarven wizard mentor and half-orc barbarian/sorceror companion were standouts in this.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

That's true, the first chapter wasn't bad. I might be selling it short because I thought it ended weakly by having the fights against the final chapter enemies come down to using a unique item.

But I still think the OC was better than SoU. It was inconsistent and chock full of filler, but there were some good parts. Generally, the problem with OC was blandness. SoU went too far in the other direction, and ended up too gimmicky, especially the characters - the dwarven wizard mentor and half-orc barbarian/sorceror companion were standouts in this.

But I'm not just thinking about the plot and characters. Design is also a factor. SoU was smaller, tighter and didn't have those fucking random loot chests full of Thieves Tools +1 everywhere.

Also, it had a Holy Avenger if you were a Paladin. :munchkin: :smug:

RK47

Patron
oooh must roll Paladin/Cleric then. :smug: Time to start a new char. ^_^

But I'm not just thinking about the plot and characters. Design is also a factor. SoU was smaller, tighter and didn't have those fucking random loot chests full of Thieves Tools +1 everywhere.

Word on the random loot. So ridiculous. I don't want to defend the OC too vigorously, it definitely had serious flaws. But my problems with SoU were more than just story/content. The characters were annoying, but you could deal with it.

SoU was tighter overall, but I found the individual dungeons to be about on par with the OC. My main beef with the gimmickyness was all of the puzzle fights. I can't think of a major battle in that game that came down to just your preparations and decisions. There was always something you had to smash or stick a macguffin in. But then again, I think that's the problem with a single character game - making boss fights a challenge, but winnable by multiple character types requires some compromises.
Also, it had a Holy Avenger if you were a Paladin. :munchkin: :smug:

:lol:

Touche! What is it about the Holy Avenger? Getting one has been locked in my brain ever since the AD&D player's handbook.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"es!

But Deekin was not a scripted companion. You had a liberty to take ANY of the two from the academy with you.

The problem with OC darling, was that it was TERRIBLY paced with a lot of unnecessary combat (trash mobs) that I got tired of fighting right away with quests that made little sense and characters that gave little help.

Take for example Fenethickbrains. I mean dudette! The game as much tells you that he is dense because he is 'a young elf'. I mean wtf, right? Also, what's up with NOT listening to the Hero of Neverwinter when he fucking tells everyone in the ceremony hall NOT to trust Desther when the cure is being prepared? And the entire waterdhaviano creatures plot. THAT MAKES NO SENSE!!! Take other things too: Dryad being locked up because SHE charmed that wizard to protect herself. Really? Why did she simply not TELL him that she was needed for the cure???!!! I think even that is okay. We do want action, true. But still fighting through the mobs of Prisoners/Zombies/Pirates/Hunters/Servants gives me no sense of achievement except getting over frustration of going through it.

Also, the morality quests:

How the fuck is it even okay to kill children to become a lich???? Or kill a hunter and his servants so as to rescue the fucking bear et al?? Someone was sleeping at the writing desk I presume.

The entire plot about the Old Ones waking up from a pocket dimension to take over and being reptilian is the MOST FORCED FED Lovecraftian plot ever. I mean the NWN2 quests were shitty, but they had an FR related theme continued"

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. :(:(:(

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
This is the worst thread since Mantiis stopped posting HHR's "I enjoyed Fallout 3". :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom