Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Movement in Isometric RPGs - Click, Click, Click

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Yes he is

std::namespace

edit: also, get the fuck out of here with that condescending attitude, faggot.
haha :lol: oh shit man
i am so sorry!
here, let me try again

It's long been a pet peeve of mine that movement in CRPGs often amount to little more than a formality, where, hypothetically, nothing is lost, except the illusion of freedom, if you were to do away with it all together ala Age of Decadence. I mean, other than the satisfaction of clicking your dudes around.
movement is exploration in gayass crpgs, tard, in 2d exploration amounts to visual discovery like watching the details of a painting while uncovering it fully, then observing the full thing
One idea I have to remedy this, is to make moving your character(s) around in an isometric RPG more involved, and if you don't mind me using these terms, more of a "core part of the gameplay loop" by fundamentally changing how your character interacts with its surroundings.
its a moronic idea, as i indicated previously, its not possible to add a good movement game without competing and ruining the core game
if you design a movment game its becomes a game unto itself, you can than play it standalone
This would be achieved by the combination of a complete freedom of movement (click anywhere to move + click, hold and drag to plot a path or wasd if you're a fag) and an environment full of hazards and obstacles.
this is not a GAME , its a BORDERLINE MORONIC PUZZLE!
you with environ hAzArDs:
aGcNooh.png

In other words, by turning those sweet gfx backgrunds into (more of) an actual environment that you interact with, instead of just being a pretty backdrop to be raced through, while looking for points of interest.
interactive environs are not enough for A GAME! its needs an enemy
Tripping on roots or getting your feet wet would be the least of your problems if you decided to just click somewhere in the distance, expecting your character to safely navigate there on his own.

While on the other hand, it would allow you to stay in cover by carefully moving your character along the edge of a treeline, or ford across a river, to name just a couple of examples, and have these things be part of the actual gameplay, and not something that is done through dialogue.
2 year olds can navigate around shit you lobotomized gaylord
THIS
IS
NOT
GAMEPLAY
is fucking moronic garabge taht a literal DOG could do if trained
A LITERAL DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOG
are you a dog? do you want to eat shit?
I obviously like this idea myself, but I have a feeling that it would antagonize alot of people.
obviously you are mentally handicapped larper
Still, I believe this could be massive, particularly for the exploration aspect, which I love about RPGs.
you dont understand anything about your larper storyfag neckbeards virgin hobby
It would also obviously take a very careful implementation to not have this turn into a complete clownshow of funny death animations, or a frustrating mess that grinds the game to a halt, completely overshadowing any other aspect.

What do you think, niggas? Am I trying to fix what's not broken or is there any merit to any of this?
i think you are dumb, not like an insult but like you are realistically somewhere around 95 points, dont push too much, ok?
you are not capable of analytical thought
you are not capable of leadign your idea to a final logical consequence
you cannot form an abstract concetp out of your idea, apply category, structure, hieracrchy to it
its all gay ass larper fee fees
its a surefire sign that you are a reddit user and a subhuman

crappy movement gameplay:
quake ut
descent
freespace
mechwarrior 4
armored core
souls
that stone rolling downhill game
mario cart

its not possible to create decent movement gameplay inside a 2d plane AND have it not interfere with the arpeegee

you can make a managment puzzles where you manage arbitrary resources in spacetime like
braid or portal if had resources

but they are not games, they are larper puzzles

but you cannot make movement a game inside a game
its like chessboxing, it wont work

BUT YOU KNOW
i love lockpicking in my crpgs... just love it... but you know, its just click->fail/win
not enough gameplay, how baout we make it a game!!!?
you are the reason, shitty lockpicking mini """gAmEs""" exist

NOW that we have established that movement gameplay is not doable
how about puzzles? can we make the act of movmenet itself into puzzle that is not repetitive, not braindead?
no, i dont see how
how do you craete a decision points for movement and it not be just random guessing into a fog of war or braindead?
left or right?
kNKCx1N.png

how do you divorce movement from combat? lets say you do
whats the goal of a pure movement puzzle? reaching a point in spacetime
well i guess u could make a movment puzzle in a crpg if you were to run against "time"
there are actually combat encounters like that...

but here is the most important nail in the coffin of your shit idea:
movement is the relaxation phase of crpgs, you dont want mental strain when you move
it is supposed to be chillax cruising

fuck you

LanciaArdita

Literate
Jagged Alliance 2 has most of those things (except for flying, obviously).

Ya, but did JA2 have enough of out-of-combat exploration to warrant the cRPG label? I feel it is more apt to call it a strategy/tactics game with heavy RPG elements.

Also despite having 200+ sectors spanning its strategic map, IIRC 60-70% percent of the territory consisted of non traversable mountains, deserts, bodies of water etc. and what territory remained was mostly relegated to a battleground, or some light exploration in relation to finishing tasks/missions.

Thirdly, it featured no terrain elevation, a binary verticality system that offered only toggle between ground level and rooftops, and had almost no procedurally generated content (save for certain random enemy placement) - making it inferiour to the 5 years older X-COM title in this particular segment (although in its overall gameplay complexity and mechanics JA2 was the superiour game, obviously)

I feel like content that is partially or wholly procedurally generated, vast swathes of terrain that is traversable in function of exploration and not only tactical combat and enmeshing RnG mechanics that are sometimes of even Byzantine complexity (like in 3.5) within an environment reactive to player-made input are hurdles that pose significant challenges to programming when taking into consideration temporal and financial constraints placed upon the developer.

LanciaArdita

Literate
Incursion did pretty much all of that. Because true roguelikes are the superior form of rpg. Sadly, the game was never properly finished. Sourcecode is out there though, maybe some day some lunatic will finish it off.

RPGs that develop their own paradigm of depth, realism and importance of skills rather than reliance on almighty OP magic and a fantasy setting are in a league of incline of their own.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
LanciaArdita You'd have to make some kind of compromise somewhere. On Scale, probably.

Although, you could just design a lot of genuinely empty and uninteresting, simple terrain features like flat open fields or resting bodies of water, and use them to retain that sense of scale, and it wouldn't actually be any different in terms of complexity of gameplay than in a normal RPG.

You'd need a certain amount of these anyway.

Going overboard with this as a cost saving measure might make your environment a bit bland, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom