Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mounts and Blades and Hats and Fires and Hats and Swords

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Skyway said:
are the reason indie games should die.

I already told you what a fucking idiot you are the first time you brought it up. Guess I'll have to tell you again. Ahem, indies are a return to the formula of succes that made pc gaming in the 80's and early 90's so great. A guy or a few guys cobbling together something in their basement that might or might not work. Sure, you have to wade through a pile of shit to get to the gems. Just like you did in those days. But at least you can count on some creativity, originality and fucking love to be poured into these games instead of the products resulting from the daily grind in the cubicle farm at EA or Activision.

Overboard

Arcane
Holy shit I find myself in agreement with Skyway? :stupid:

I'm one of those dumbfucks who paid the full (at the time, which means less than price at release) price for the game at v0.7xx, thinking that they'd keep up their development of M&B, only for them to add fucking pretty pictures after that instead of fixing...oh I don't know maybe troop formations or diplomacy or maybe the fucking sieges etc

So fuck them.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I enjoy the MP, there's usually a couple of servers to choose from. It's nothing special, but it's good fun playing with human opponents, especially if you come up against someone fairly evenly matched with you. Fights can last the entire round.

Topher

Cipher
Admiral jimbob said:
I enjoy the MP, there's usually a couple of servers to choose from. It's nothing special, but it's good fun playing with human opponents, especially if you come up against someone fairly evenly matched with you. Fights can last the entire round.

It's fun but from what I played it didn't seem well balanced. Almost everyone used a single sword and just exploited weapon reach and attack speed. I practically never saw anyone block attacks or use a shield, favoring instead to bob and weave around swinging as quickly as possible. It certainly took skill and the difference between good players and bad players was pronounced but felt very awkward and "gamey" to me so I stopped playing.

mondblut

Arcane
Well, there is a reason a shield was living its final days in mid-1600s :)

Anyway, I had some involvement with the development of the game, so I suggest everyone to buy several copies so I will keep getting my salary ;-)

FleetFeet

Novice
Captain Shrek said:
deuxhero said:
Because I'm not an idiot (and have like 100 games to finish) I'm waiting till the anual Steam sale where it will be a fraction of the price (and patched/we will know if it is good/will have modsetc).

Fix'd for me.

Fix'd for spelling

Tycn

Savant
Multiplayer is great and people who spam away without blocking are hardly problematic to deal with. I'd just get Warband and skip the original.

Secretninja

Cipher
Think I am gonna pick up warband at that price. The 10% off the new one is a pretty lame deal and I doubt I would play the older one.

The steam servers are too busy to handle your request. wtf is this shit.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
For the "I WUV TF2 HATZ!!"-crowd, people have uncovered unused hats in TF2 that tie in to future promotions for Plants vs Zombies and SpaceChem.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Topher said:
Admiral jimbob said:

It's fun but from what I played it didn't seem well balanced. Almost everyone used a single sword and just exploited weapon reach and attack speed. I practically never saw anyone block attacks or use a shield, favoring instead to bob and weave around swinging as quickly as possible. It certainly took skill and the difference between good players and bad players was pronounced but felt very awkward and "gamey" to me so I stopped playing.

That's why I always carry a good long spear in addition to sword. flighty fuckers just don't know what to do against it, it's pretty easy to overwhelm them.

I'll admit to being shit at manual blocking, though :(

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Unkillable Cat said:
For the "I WUV TF2 HATZ!!"-crowd, people have uncovered unused hats in TF2 that tie in to future promotions for Plants vs Zombies and SpaceChem.

Hmmm does that mean PvZ 2 is on the horizon?

Multi-headed Cow

This is harder than Warband because JESUS CHRIST GUNS HURT. WHO KNEW?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Warband is a lot better than this game. Guns are basically insta-kill railguns with the same reload mechanics as crossbows, and the same shooting restrictions (you can't aim to your left on horseback). completely retarded. A lot of the writing is copy-paste as well. Most models look like cheap ugly shit. Quests are exactly the same.

I do not recommend this game to anybody, not even fans of M&B. Warband is the best game in the series and will remain so until they make a sequel that actually improves on things that matter such as A.I. and writing.

Multi-headed Cow

Thus far, not at all. Those aspects seem exactly the same, usually with the exact same trade goods and text in dialog.

JrK

Prophet
Zed said:
Warband is a lot better than this game. Guns are basically insta-kill railguns with the same reload mechanics as crossbows, and the same shooting restrictions (you can't aim to your left on horseback). completely retarded. A lot of the writing is copy-paste as well. Most models look like cheap ugly shit. Quests are exactly the same.

I've got the same impression. I don't know how much of a game-changer guns were in reality, but in this game they do change everything. It's obvious they are just a reskin of crossbows, in the way they work, with reloading, the horse shooting as mentioned, and the fact that in the character screen, you can replace "crossbow" with "firearms" and that's pretty much what Fire&Sword does.

Other annoying things: it is now impossible to distinguish cities from certain forts. New Games start with a dumb tutorial with voice over. There seems to be no longer a difference in equipment you start with. The game is no longer about YOU because if you draw attention to yourself you will get instakilled by a lucky shot. (personal preference, I admit) Performance is pretty crappy for such an ugly game, even on my good pc, but the bad performance is mostly LONG loading times, framerates seem good. Still, the loading times are way too long. Cities are huge but empty.

About getting instakilled: even if you have a large army to back you up, it is unwise to charge guys with guns. They WILL target you and you WILL get hit and you can only take 1-2 shots because... even a lowly pistol does a whopping 61 piercing damage. The kind that penetrates armour, so even armour is of little use against firearms. Imagine yourself in warband riding naked, and charging straight into a band of longbowmen. That's how dangerous F&S is, all the time. This basically turns the best tactics of the game into "get as many marksmen as you can and let them shoot stuff". Since cavalry makes for a big target, cavalry is less useful than before.

Interesting things: The prices have been jacked up and there is a more steep increase in price as quality goes up. The cheapest two-handed weapon I could find was a chipped poleaxe costing 2000 thaler. Would make for an interesting game of survival, especially since guns are so dangerous. The cities are big, it is pretty interesting were it not for the fact there is little to do there.

Panthera

Scholar
I did some multiplayer in Captain mode (where everyone gets a squad of 10 AI guys spawning in with them) and it was magnificent, worth the price right there. This is what I had hoped M&B's multiplayer would be from the start.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
So, it's another standalone game? Does that mean they're splitting the community and mods again?

deuxhero

Arcane
No background choices or female PC?

Wut?

:x

Seriously the lack of background choices makes no sense, and the setting is (slightly) more favorable to a female PC than vanilla's was (You have a commonish weapon that ignores the users physical strength and is very effective for the most part).

Now I'm doubting I'll even get this at the Steam sale.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom