Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mordheim - turn-based tactics in the Warhammer universe

fastjack

Augur
sser , out of curiosity, are you just unhappy with games that involve a lot of randomization?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
sser , out of curiosity, are you just unhappy with games that involve a lot of randomization?
Actually, even though I am usually advocating randomization in game, some game workshop games push a bit too far. Space Hulk, for instance, has missions where you roll the dice to see who won (well, it is not as simple as that, but you escape as many terminators as possible, then roll a dice, it you roll over the number who escaped, you lose... Great use of randomization there!).

sser

Arcane
Developer

I don't particularly care for games that let randomization do the work game design and gameplay mechanics are supposed to.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
That's kinda weird thing to be complaining about in a heavily dice-roll-reliant* game adaptation. It's like walking to ice cream parlour and complaining that their ice cream is cold...

The fact that you can fail climbing/jumps is p. sweet, I don't think I've ever seen that before in a computer game?

*) In all of my WH games, my dwarf cannon crew scored one (1) hit on the enemy. FUCKKEN HOWZA?

Destroid

Arcane
That's kinda weird thing to be complaining about in a heavily dice-roll-reliant* game adaptation. It's like walking to ice cream parlour and complaining that their ice cream is cold...

The fact that you can fail climbing/jumps is p. sweet, I don't think I've ever seen that before in a computer game?

*) In all of my WH games, my dwarf cannon crew scored one (1) hit on the enemy. FUCKKEN HOWZA?

Ironically, cannons are far less reliant on random elements than most weapons in WHFB.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
EA is out now.
20% off for an Alpha +, the pricing of early access titles never ceases to puzzle me.

Last edited:

ColCol

Arcane
Disappointed , I originally was lead to believe that more races (than the 4) would be added during early access. Now it looks like I will have to wait until the inevitable "deluxe" version.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steam reviews are overwhelmingly positive. The fundamentals sound solid(according to random steam users), but content is light : the game only allows pre set warbands yet.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://store.steampowered.com/app/276810/

EARLY ACCES AVAILABLE, AND MORE
20 NOVEMBER - EPY_FOCUS

Greetings Mordheim fans!

We've three pieces of great news for you yearning for more Mordheim updates.

Firstly, the Early Access for Mordheim is now available. And as a thank you for helping us make the best videogame adaptation of Mordheim, everyone who participates in the Early Access is granted a 20% discount!

The game will be updated with more content incrementally throughout the Early Access campaign until the official release.

You can read more details about that on the Steam Page, as well as registering to the newsletter[mordheim-cityofthedamned.com] to get updates on the game (such as this one!), and don't forget to leave your precious feedback on the forums[forum.mordheim-cityofthedamned.com]. You can also connect with us on our Facebook page.

>>JOIN THE EARLY ACCESS AND GET 20% OFF<<

We've also cooked up something awesome in the form of a gameplay trailer taking you through a skirmish round of Mordheim: City of the Damned. Part tutorial, part introduction, this video will provide you will all the key elements before you dive in - we hope you enjoy it!

1.jpg

YouTube™ Video: MORDHEIM CITY OF THE DAMNED: TEASER TRAILER
Views: 65,105
IN EARLY ACCESS IMMINENTLY Mordheim on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/276... Register on the official website: http://mordheim-cityofthedamned.com/ Follow us on Facebook:...

Lastly, the official website[www.mordheim-cityofthedamned.com] for the game is now open - this houses a wealth of information about both the game and the city of Mordheim, including information about Warbands, lore - as well as, of course, the forums. We'd love to see you in there.

Can you survive in the City of the Damned!

Rogue Factor & Focus Home Interactive

(lol typo)

The camera is a real pain in the ass. You can either have third person action RPG view:

mordheim_in.jpg

or 'tactical view':

mordheim_out.jpg

and both feel useless for small squad-based combat. The zoom out feels more appropriate to the Close Combat series, which is a WW II company level game.

Caim

Arcane
To be fair I kinda like that the Sisters of Sigmar are back. Warhammer (both Fantasy and 40k) needs more crazy nuns setting people on fire.

Just finished my first skirmish map. To my pleasant surprise my warband had eight units. It feels so much more tactical with eight units. I can only hope they dump the five unit limit for the campaign. The AI isn't up to scratch at the moment. I routed the skaven without a single casualty, and I didn't even fully understand the rules, or my units' abilities. In particular, the AI appeared to have trouble focusing its units effectively. Actually, I spent as much time fighting the camera as the skaven. Still, the game has major potential for incline.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Ooh, with eight units that's a lot better. With 4-units the vid seemed like the battle would be a pretty basic coinflip if both players were remotely competent.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
RPS preview: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/11/27/impressions-mordheim-early-access/

It’s a simple and well-designed system but I have a couple of quibbles. One relates to the interface, which has an inventory-like pop-up containing a character’s abilities. It’s a little daunting, not because of its layout, but because it isn’t immediately clear how one type of strike varies from another, or what the exact implications of a spell might be. All the information is available but I find myself scrabbling around for it.

Partly, that’s not an interface issue, it’s something that relates back to the skirmishes and pre-built warbands. I don’t have any connection to my troops, I haven’t witnessed or guided their progression, and I’m not entirely sure how powerful they are. Sure, it makes sense that the ogre is the best option for a frontal assault and that I should probably keep my archer out of harm’s way, but who should be soaking up damage and who should be dealing it? Which abilities are best used to soften up an enemy and which ones are best used to support an ally? The information is there but it’s in numbers and lists rather than being explicit in the world and characters.

That all adds to my second quibble, which is a feeling of detachment. Because these aren’t my units, I’m essentially borrowing them from a friend. I’ll go home to my plastic miniatures but while I’m in Mordheim’s world, in this early version, someone else is lending me a warband to use. Because it’s not mine, I don’t feel compelled to put in the work necessary to understand its finer qualities, or to develop any form of attachment. I think that’s what Mordheim needs, and should get in time, a sense of characters that develop and complement one another. There’s every reason to believe that as customisation is introduced, attachment will follow, and that the addition of campaigns will provide me with a reason to stick around and get to know everyone.

The foundations are in place. Maps are handsome, in a gloomy tentacles-sprouting-from-chimneys sort of way, and there are none of the camera catastrophes that can blight a game of this type. I chuckle every single time one of my Skaven fails to clamber down from a ledge and lands on its tail with a bump – every percentage chance is displayed as actions are taken so you can rage at the cruelty of the dice gods when they turn against you. There are crossed fingers and whispered prayers as well as planning, but units are fairly robust and won’t be taken out of action by a couple of incidents of misfortune.

Mordheim has all the ingredients to make a delicious feast but the current Early Access build is the tray of nibbles before even the starter is fully prepared. And as well as an overwrought food metaphor, it’s also a lot like my out-of-the-box Warhammer starter army all those years ago – doesn’t play well with others and requires some investment before it’ll be ready for battle.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
looks promising. will get dizzy cuz the cam will need lots of spinning ect, but meh.
i kinda like the movement system tbh, might take away something compared to the tabletop, but i am fine with those sacrifices.
just four warbands smells like upcoming DLC to me.
would like to get some infos on the skill/leveling system as well as about the loot and merchants that should be for hire.
will prolly buy

that beeing said, early access at that price? hell no.
but nowadays users are misused as gametesters that have to pay instead of getting paid all the time, so whatever.

Norfleet

An interesting thing is that if there's enough randomization involved, the game stops being quite so random. It's like there's a randomness singularity. If you've ever played the Dominions series, those games are pretty much random as fuck, but because there is just SO MUCH RANDOMNESS involved, it stops actually being random, as the sheer weight of randomness changes it from random to statistical.

A horse of course

looks promising. will get dizzy cuz the cam will need lots of spinning ect, but meh.
i kinda like the movement system tbh, might take away something compared to the tabletop, but i am fine with those sacrifices.
just four warbands smells like upcoming DLC to me.
would like to get some infos on the skill/leveling system as well as about the loot and merchants that should be for hire.
will prolly buy

that beeing said, early access at that price? hell no.
but nowadays users are misused as gametesters that have to pay instead of getting paid all the time, so whatever.

Nice avatar

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://steamcommunity.com/games/MordheimCotD/announcements/detail/201864921867522502

Mordheim: City of the Damned turns into Early Access Phase 2

Greetings Mordheim fans!

Rogue Factor's turn-based tactical-RPG Mordheim: City of the Damned will receive its first content update on Thursday the 11th, having successfully launched its Early Access campaign - to 90% 'very positive user reviews on Steam' - a few weeks ago. Based on the Games Workshop tabletop game, from Thursday Mordheim: City of the Damned will now feature The Sisters of Sigmar, and the first part of the Warcamp - a hub from which you manage your warband and other activities - with weapon and armour management.

Mordheim: City of the Damned launched with The Mercenaries of the Empire, and The Skaven of Clan Eshin, with the first content update slated for Thursday bringing that total to three. The Cult of the Posessed along with a host of other features will be released in the near future according to the Early Access road-map on the Steam page.
For a detailed explanation of exactly what's coming in this first content update, see below:

The Sisters of Sigmar: A magic and melee based warband deemed as 'heretics' by the broader Cult of Sigmar because they miraculously survived the impact of the twin tailed comet. Completely devoted to their god, the Sisters of Sigmar seek to cleanse Mordheim of the many evils within the city walls, locking away the wyrdstone to ultimately contain its corruptive properties. Their skills include 'Healing Circle', an AOE healing spell. 'Comet of Sigmar', a magical attack that bypasses armour. And finally "Blessing of Speed", which increases movement of its target by 1 meter, and increases climb, leap, and jump-down checks by 10%.

The Warcamp: The Warcamp is a hub from where you'll head into skirmishes and manage your warband. This feature will be updated incrementally, to include more activities throughout Early Access and to release.

Armour and weapon customisation: In this update, you will be able to change the armour for each unit in your warband with statistical changes. Visual changes will be coming later in the Early Access. You will also be able to change weapons, with two sets for each unit. Visual changes for weapons are included in this update.

Do not worry about looting items for now - as we head into Early Access Phase Two, we've given you a whole lot of armour and weapons to choose from, which can be accessed from the Management area of your hideout!

Can you survive in the City of the Damned!

Rogue Factor & Focus Home Interactive

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom