Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Taken from Reddit but it explains why you're wrong.
Taken from Reddit, which explains why you're a douche bag. You use alot of empty paragraphs btw. Nobody is reading.

Silverfish

Arbiter

It didn't. I never said raw damage wasn't superior (it is), just that you don't have to maximize damage output to successfully bring down monsters. You can play MH casually with pretty much whatever weapons you want, the only drawback being hunts will take longer than with a minmax setup.

Hell Swarm

Educated
*waits anxiously for Hell Swarm's 100 page essay on nothing*
*okay*

It didn't. I never said raw damage wasn't superior (it is), just that you don't have to maximize damage output to successfully bring down monsters. You can play MH casually with pretty much whatever weapons you want, the only drawback being hunts will take longer than with a minmax setup.
The highest recorded damage a player has done is 10,000 with a Great sword. 39 of that was Elemental. It's an incredibly small amount of damage you gain for a huge amount lost. It's not about min maxing, it's common sense not to handicap yourself by building wrong.

Silverfish

Arbiter
It's not about min maxing, it's common sense not to handicap yourself by building wrong.

Which, again, doesn't matter unless you're trying to drive down hunt times for a grind. I've never optimized my setup in MHW for any given monster and have only ever gone to the time limit twice.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The highest recorded damage a player has done is 10,000 with a Great sword. 39 of that was Elemental.
What a retarded metric to judge things by. Though I am somewhat curious why there even was elemental damage on such a hit in the first place, I'd have assumed you'd need non-element in such a setup.

But the point is that during an actual fight, especially against a monster you haven't beaten yet, especially playing without a team, you're not going to be getting all your damage from full charged strikes, let alone on sleeping, crippled monsters on their weakest body part. You're going to be doing normal swings a bunch, shoulder charging and generally hitting whatever and wherever you can.

Stop watching clips of scripted fights where every greatsword hit is for 2k+.

Hell Swarm

Educated
It's not about min maxing, it's common sense not to handicap yourself by building wrong.

Which, again, doesn't matter unless you're trying to drive down hunt times for a grind. I've never optimized my setup in MHW for any given monster and have only ever gone to the time limit twice.
I've never gone over the time limit and I've never looked up how to min max. It's common knowledge how elemental damage works and why you don't want it on larger weapons who aren't able to actually use it. Nigger cat specifically said he was timing out and so lowering his damage wasn't going to help him any.

I don't think I've ever watched a scripted fight on monster hunter ever. When I first started I watched the basic combo videos since the tutorials in game suck and then went on to play for myself. Monster hunter has too many freaks to want to get involved in it's community or video content.

is it viable to solo this game or is multiplayer kind of needed. like, is it like souls where co-op makes it more convenient but you can still solo bosses or what

Elttharion

Learned
is it viable to solo this game or is multiplayer kind of needed. like, is it like souls where co-op makes it more convenient but you can still solo bosses or what
You can solo pretty much every monster. What multiplayer does is mainly scale the health of the monster and some resistances based on the number of players.

There are 3 monsters that are always scaled to multiplayer: Ancient Leshen, Arch Tempered Kulve Taroth and Behemoth/Extreme Behemoth. You can technically solo them too but they are a pain in the ass to do so. There is no reason to fight them tho since their gear is pretty useless apart from cosmetics, they are high rank endgame monsters and almost any master rank set will be better.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Everything can be done solo but late game stuff leans into co-op. Doesn't mean you can't beat it but you're going to have to play extremely well and be geared up properly to pull it off. There's 2 hunts that work exclusively with coop but they're event quests and can be ignored.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
Greatsword and Hammer can actually score some pretty nice elemental hits, It all depends on what attacks you prioritize landing (and again, what hitzones you're targeting. Know your monster).

Rise took this even further with Switch Skills, by giving you alternate moveset options that let you choose whether you want to prioritize elemental or non-elemental attack. There's even a non-elemental option for Dual Blades. For all it's faults, this is one of the things Rise did right.

As a general rule though, I'd say the idea of slower swings=worse for element is still applicable.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah only losers care about 10% difference in damage.
What matters is fashion hunter.

You must wear skin of your enemies and fight with their bones.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Greatsword and Hammer can actually score some pretty nice elemental hits, It all depends on what attacks you prioritize landing (and again, what hitzones you're targeting. Know your monster).

Rise took this even further with Switch Skills, by giving you alternate moveset options that let you choose whether you want to prioritize elemental or non-elemental attack. There's even a non-elemental option for Dual Blades. For all it's faults, this is one of the things Rise did right.

As a general rule though, I'd say the idea of slower swings=worse for element is still applicable.
The main takeaway from the big sword = bad elemental efficiency is to not get elemental attack bonuses on your armour, because adding 50 fire damage to the 500 on your sword will do fuck all compared to on a SnS that has like 200.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Co-op is mostly dead in base game. The only time people responded to my SoS flares was for Behemoth. Granted I didn't need to use the flare much. It's more active in Iceborne. Also it depends on the monster. The moment I used a SoS flare on Velkhana we were able to kill him. I went up against Behemoth with multiple teams and he crushed us every time.

Unless you're a gaming god Behemoth is impossible to solo. He was created with co-op in mind.

It's comparable to Souls. 99% of the monsters you can probably solo and co-op makes it easier, unless you get a team of retards then you're basically buffing the monster and nerfing yourself.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Co-op is mostly dead in base game. The only time people responded to my SoS flares was for Behemoth. Granted I didn't need to use the flare much. It's more active in Iceborne. Also it depends on the monster. The moment I used a SoS flare on Velkhana we were able to kill him. I went up against Behemoth with multiple teams and he crushed us every time.
You're bad at the game and your opinion reflects that.

The game is very active and SOS flares get responses all through out the ranks.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
You're bad at the game and your opinion reflects that.

The game is very active and SOS flares get responses all through out the ranks.
This is incorrect. Iceborne and master rank is active. The lower ranks in base game are not. Also I'm pretty decent. I wouldn't consider myself great or anything. Also I feel like I'm limited by the GS at times but it's fine. I refuse to change weapons.

Perkel

Arcane
You missed event which happened like two months ago where everyone was replaying MHW.
Back then it had like 200k daily active users on steam.

Imho in your case i would just join big MHW discord and find few people to play with you, random coop is soulless imo.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I don't need people to help me. I only used a flare for Velkhana because I wanted to speed things up. I could have beaten it solo if I wanted to sink more time into it but I'm gearing up for a bigger & better game. I'm not gonna waste much time on these last few fights.

I wish I bothered to learn how to do flinch shot. I seen another player using it and it seemed hella OP. I never tried it.

Hell Swarm

Educated
You missed event which happened like two months ago where everyone was replaying MHW.
Back then it had like 200k daily active users on steam.

Imho in your case i would just join big MHW discord and find few people to play with you, random coop is soulless imo.
It's still getting 25k players at off peak times. The game is really healthy player base wise.
I don't need people to help me. I only used a flare for Velkhana because I wanted to speed things up. I could have beaten it solo if I wanted to sink more time into it but I'm gearing up for a bigger & better game. I'm not gonna waste much time on these last few fights.

I wish I bothered to learn how to do flinch shot. I seen another player using it and it seemed hella OP. I never tried it.
You don't know how to do basic stuff and claim you don't need people's help. But you did need people's help because you repeatedly failed a mission and had to get someone else to beat it for you. And you're not even close to the actual hard fights in Iceborne.

You have a serious ego problem where you think you're a lot better than you are and make excuses for why you're not bad, it's just the game's not worth playing properly.

Silverfish

Arbiter
You have a serious ego problem where you think you're a lot better than you are and make excuses for why you're not bad, it's just the game's not worth playing properly.

You're right. He's lying about wanting to finish up before DD2 comes out. If you look in that thread, he hasn't been active at all.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
You don't know how to do basic stuff and claim you don't need people's help. But you did need people's help because you repeatedly failed a mission and had to get someone else to beat it for you. And you're not even close to the actual hard fights in Iceborne.

Everybody has an ego. I've been around long enough to know I can beat anything. I'm just lazy and like I said DD2 is 10 days away. It's making me try to rush through MHW.

Also I'd argue that me getting as far as I have without knowing some of the basics makes me an even bigger badass. I've been nerfing myself.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat

You're right. He's lying about wanting to finish up before DD2 comes out. If you look in that thread, he hasn't been active at all.
I haven't been active in the DD2 thread? LOL.

20240311-211903.jpg

I'm lying guys. Totally not getting ready for DD2.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom