Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Had a first encounter with a Rathian in the forest. Things were going pretty well... until I heard another roar and got jumped by a Rathalos as well. It took a while but I finally managed to down the Rathian and gather some stuff off of it, but I got downed by the Rathalos after which it left the map.

Also, is there a way to get certain monsters to spawn? I'm looking to farm that dodo and the asshole winged chameleon so I can make some more armor and gear, but from what I can tell there's three different types of monsters on the map at random and that's that.
Rathalos and Rathian will always back each other up and I believe the first encounter is scripted to show you that. You can use dung on one of them to make them fuck off.

You can go into assignments and find them there. There's lots of optional quests so you should be able to find one. The research team can give you investigation quests you can take multiple times. They have special awards attached for doing them, so extra monster parts usually. You can also check for multiplayer quests. If someone's fired an SOS flare you can join their game and help them kill the monster for loot

Machocruz

Arcane
The Rathian in Wildspire keeps leaving the locale before I can finish him, once during the opening story event, and again while I'm farming Barroth and Jyuratodus. Is it intended you're not supposed to kill him yet, or is it just normal timing out/I'm taking too long?

Anyway, I think it will be SnS, SA, and HBG for my main weapons in this one. Before it's mostly been LS, Hammer, and LBG. SnS is a joy to use in World. It was between SA and CB for large melee weapon. While CB is cool af and I used it a bit in Rise, I mostly wanted an axe and SA starts off with that form. HBG I've never used, so that will be interesting.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
The Rathian in Wildspire keeps leaving the locale before I can finish him, once during the opening story event, and again while I'm farming Barroth and Jyuratodus. Is it intended you're not supposed to kill him yet, or is it just normal timing out/I'm taking too long?

Anyway, I think it will be SnS, SA, and HBG for my main weapons in this one. Before it's mostly been LS, Hammer, and LBG. SnS is a joy to use in World. It was between SA and CB for large melee weapon. While CB is cool af and I used it a bit in Rise, I mostly wanted an axe and SA starts off with that form. HBG I've never used, so that will be interesting.
You should be able to kill him. Don't fuck around and make him your priority.

Switch Axe is great in World. Make sure to get your axe boost up so you get extra break damage. You really need the auto dodge mantle (Temporal I think it's called) for it. When you use your discharge you can be thrown off in World due to the clutch mechanics. If you put on the mantle it auto dodges the attacks and keeps you latched on. Without it you often end up getting thrown off and can't do shit about it. I assume you know about armour skills and wanting a longer dodge for mobility and power prolonger for more discharges. When you're comfortable with the timing you want to stop spamming the button with the discharge so your explosion doesn't launch you so far. You don't lose any damage but it drops you back at it's feet so you can start another right away if you have charge.

I wouldn't use 3 weapons, the farming will become really annoying when you get into the later parts of the game. 2 is usually a good choice where 1 is your main and the other covers your weapons weakness. I use Dual Blades as a main and switch to Switch Axe when enemies are more air borne and I can't keep on them constantly or they shit lava under them and being that close gets toasty. Baroth's axe is pretty solid to build up to if you want paralyze.

Machocruz

Arcane

Switch Axe is great in World. Make sure to get your axe boost up so you get extra break damage. You really need the auto dodge mantle (Temporal I think it's called) for it. When you use your discharge you can be thrown off in World due to the clutch mechanics. If you put on the mantle it auto dodges the attacks and keeps you latched on. Without it you often end up getting thrown off and can't do shit about it. I assume you know about armour skills and wanting a longer dodge for mobility and power prolonger for more discharges. When you're comfortable with the timing you want to stop spamming the button with the discharge so your explosion doesn't launch you so far. You don't lose any damage but it drops you back at it's feet so you can start another right away if you have charge.

I wouldn't use 3 weapons, the farming will become really annoying when you get into the later parts of the game. 2 is usually a good choice where 1 is your main and the other covers your weapons weakness. I use Dual Blades as a main and switch to Switch Axe when enemies are more air borne and I can't keep on them constantly or they shit lava under them and being that close gets toasty. Baroth's axe is pretty solid to build up to if you want paralyze.
Was going to say I did stay on Rathian but remembered I killed another monster beforehand. Didn't take long, but probably ate enough into Rath's timer. Was also possibly being too timid when fighting him

That stuff is useful to know, so thanks. I haven't seen those armor skills yet but now I know what's good for SA. So I'm assuming staying mounted gets harder as the game goes on, I've only been tossed off a couple times so far.

On my PS5 play, I ditched SnS after Jyuratodus. Big honking weapons is a MH signature to me, so it's just a starter weapon. This time I've ditched it after Barroth. I'll come back to it and others here and there for variety, but SA will be my main for real progression.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Was going to say I did stay on Rathian but remembered I killed another monster beforehand. Didn't take long, but probably ate enough into Rath's timer. Was also possibly being too timid when fighting him

That stuff is useful to know, so thanks. I haven't seen those armor skills yet but now I know what's good for SA. So I'm assuming staying mounted gets harder as the game goes on, I've only been tossed off a couple times so far.

On my PS5 play, I ditched SnS after Jyuratodus. Big honking weapons is a MH signature to me, so it's just a starter weapon. This time I've ditched it after Barroth. I'll come back to it and others here and there for variety, but SA will be my main for real progression.
Protip since you're new and will probably do a lot of farming just to try more gear out: don't be afraid of the quests/investigations that include multiple monsters. Each monster gets it's stats scaled down quite a bit in those, so it is often actually easier to kill (or capture! Capturing is good!) a pair of monsters than a single one, especially if you can hit them with large sources of environmental damage like falling boulders or getting the monsters to fight eachother.

Machocruz

Arcane
Protip since you're new and will probably do a lot of farming just to try more gear out: don't be afraid of the quests/investigations that include multiple monsters. Each monster gets it's stats scaled down quite a bit in those, so it is often actually easier to kill (or capture! Capturing is good!) a pair of monsters than a single one, especially if you can hit them with large sources of environmental damage like falling boulders or getting the monsters to fight eachother.
Yep, just started doing multiples yesterday. Was wondering if they were weaker or SA is that damn strong. I alternate my play sessions, main hunts one day, expeditions/optionals/bounties another. Capturing has always given me more satisfaction than killing, and getting more parts is amazing. I remember my first monster capture ever, in Tri. Very few things in games as rewarding as being a complete MH noob and getting a successful capture when you barely understand the game.

I think I'm in the minority in that I prefer kills to captures. I think captures are a lot easier most of the time and feel less rewarding. I don't think they should award more parts - just different ones. It's already like this in a way, but I don't like the emphasis on capture when farming for certain specific rare parts.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I think I'm in the minority in that I prefer kills to captures. I think captures are a lot easier most of the time and feel less rewarding. I don't think they should award more parts - just different ones. It's already like this in a way, but I don't like the emphasis on capture when farming for certain specific rare parts.
Some parts have more chances to drop from kills than capture. Capture seems to be a solution to the stupid amount of health some monsters have. It's a way to cut the fight 30% shorter and it begs the question of why not just give monsters 30% less health. Until post DLC-end game there's never a reason not to capture.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Capture seems to be a solution to the stupid amount of health some monsters have.

Definitely, but it always struck me as odd that MH encourages you to capture, via both quest time and rewards, but then throws that out the window in the late game, where you're hunting elder dragons that can't be captured. I prefer kills myself, just because it's a more consistent experience and I try to keep my farming to a minimum anyway.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I always got a kick out of the fact that they refer to you capturing monsters for study and preserving the ecosystem... but based on the rewards, the captured monsters are clearly getting butchered when they get back to camp.

As far as the mechanic goes, it's definitely a bit of a holdover from the original game, where capturing the monsters was a fair bit more difficult due to fewer tells about how injured the monster is, and a smaller threshold it works at iirc. Still, it takes a bit more skill to lure the monster into a trap and tranq it with the correct timing than simply bashing it, so I like it as a concept. Does feel like it should be a bit more involved though. Maybe require you to mount the monster or something as well?

And again, just like the multi-hunts, capturing has an outsized impact on the difficulty of the fight, because it's much easier to take out the first 50% of a monster's health, using environment traps, territory brawls, and status effects that lose potency over time. Maybe they should make something that works the opposite way, that cripples a monster more and more as the fight goes on. Breaking parts kind of does that already; but what if poison didn't have a duration, but rather stacked without limit (maybe lowering defense rather than inflicting damage over time, or causing stamina drain over time instead) so it made the last chunk of monster health easier to deal with than the first chunk? Would be cool having a totally different playstyle like that, focused on long term gains rather than early bursts of damage to swing momentum.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
As far as the mechanic goes, it's definitely a bit of a holdover from the original game, where capturing the monsters was a fair bit more difficult due to fewer tells about how injured the monster is, and a smaller threshold it works at iirc. Still, it takes a bit more skill to lure the monster into a trap and tranq it with the correct timing than simply bashing it, so I like it as a concept. Does feel like it should be a bit more involved though. Maybe require you to mount the monster or something as well?
Traps are so easy to use though. And even easier if they're sleeping.
And again, just like the multi-hunts, capturing has an outsized impact on the difficulty of the fight, because it's much easier to take out the first 50% of a monster's health, using environment traps, territory brawls, and status effects that lose potency over time. Maybe they should make something that works the opposite way, that cripples a monster more and more as the fight goes on. Breaking parts kind of does that already; but what if poison didn't have a duration, but rather stacked without limit (maybe lowering defense rather than inflicting damage over time, or causing stamina drain over time instead) so it made the last chunk of monster health easier to deal with than the first chunk? Would be cool having a totally different playstyle like that, focused on long term gains rather than early bursts of damage to swing momentum.
It would be nice if monsters reacted to being damaged. Not just full health and then it's limping so time to trap it. Being able to focus a body part and possibly cutting it off like a tail would be cool. I'd also settle for monsters having less health in general because the 30% remaining health limp animation is when I'm about ready to be done with a fight any way. If they added more part damage and forced you to damage parts to trap it would enhance the depth a lot. Can only trap Diablos if you break it's horns so it can't just ram it's way out. Winged monsters need broken wings to stop them flying off. That sort of thing would add some much needed depth.

I just got to Ranja in Iceborne and I'm considering how much further I want to go. I'd like to beat all the monsters but burn out is real and I can only do 1 hunt before I'm wanting to play something else. If I'm close to the final monsters I might tough it out.

Caim

Arcane
I always got a kick out of the fact that they refer to you capturing monsters for study and preserving the ecosystem... but based on the rewards, the captured monsters are clearly getting butchered when they get back to camp.
They put the monsters in one of those crab disassembly machines.

Machocruz

Arcane
where capturing the monsters was a fair bit more difficult due to fewer tells about how injured the monster is, and a smaller threshold it works at iirc.
How do people feel about this? Too casual? Can't say I mind it. I've only played as far back as FU, and it was more difficult, but not to the extent where I mis-timed a bunch of captures. I think having clear visual feedback is a positive, it's satisfying to bring a monster down to that level where they're breathing hard, drooling, limping away. The feedback they put in everything is why this game brings extra excitement to the hunt, to me anyway.

Silverfish

Arbiter
How do people feel about this?

It's a good idea in general, but can be inconsistent. Something I noticed in World was that, once the secondary arena becomes available, monster HP is reduced compared to their story or sidequest hunts and it's easy to accidentally kill them before their tells even trigger.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
where capturing the monsters was a fair bit more difficult due to fewer tells about how injured the monster is, and a smaller threshold it works at iirc.
How do people feel about this? Too casual? Can't say I mind it. I've only played as far back as FU, and it was more difficult, but not to the extent where I mis-timed a bunch of captures. I think having clear visual feedback is a positive, it's satisfying to bring a monster down to that level where they're breathing hard, drooling, limping away. The feedback they put in everything is why this game brings extra excitement to the hunt, to me anyway.
Good idea but it needs to be more than instantly ending the fight or devs have an excuse to inflate HP too much. Should be part of the grab on mechanics or should involve using a net to hit the head or something. I don't want a full mini game but add some skill to it instead of walking up to a sleeping monster and throwing your junk down.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Not a fan of the recycled Master Rank fights in Iceborne. It's the same exact fight with a couple gimmicks thrown in, and the fights feel twice as long. They're not really more difficult than their base game counterparts (well Viper Tobi-Kadachi was a bit of a bitch). Otherwise it feels like the same old shit, just stretched out longer. The new monsters are neat and I'm not including the ones that are just reskinned versions of old monsters (beotodus). Hope there's a lot more actual new monsters.

Machocruz

Arcane
Finished the base game story at about 80 hours. Hunts started to get annoying once I got to Elder Recess, the least interesting area to me. Elder dragons were not that great. Nergigante was fierce but kind of boring, the dive attack is the only real threat and even then only if bad camera position or get stuck in a corner.

Kushala Daora was rage inducing, which I hear is not an uncommon reaction from players; actually a wimp but I went in with low dps/low reach weapon and not enough flash pods because in a hurry to finish the story.

Val Hazak was a wimp with an annoying gimmick. Started to grow cold on the game at this point. Fights are no longer exciting, just tedious.

Teostra was just ok. Looks cool and would probably be better to fight in one of the environments I actually like. But a fair fight and not annoying, which started to redeem things a little.

Xeno'jiiva was free, I was suprised when he fell so soon, don't know why they even bothered. But I'll take it, at that point I just wanted to get to post-game and back to doing the hunts I want to do for the equipment I want. The game is crack again. Started Witcher and FF questlines and will be working on leftover optional quests until Iceborne goes on sale again. Putting SA on the shelf and going with DB now, which I avoided because the moves looked too anime but I'm really liking the speed, dps, and agility.

Overall this is one of my top 5 games of the last 5 years. If Iceborne is as good as everyone says, it could be #1.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Finished the base game story at about 80 hours. Hunts started to get annoying once I got to Elder Recess, the least interesting area to me. Elder dragons were not that great. Nergigante was fierce but kind of boring, the dive attack is the only real threat and even then only if bad camera position or get stuck in a corner.

Kushala Daora was rage inducing, which I hear is not an uncommon reaction from players; actually a wimp but I went in with low dps/low reach weapon and not enough flash pods because in a hurry to finish the story.

Val Hazak was a wimp with an annoying gimmick. Started to grow cold on the game at this point. Fights are no longer exciting, just tedious.

Teostra was just ok. Looks cool and would probably be better to fight in one of the environments I actually like. But a fair fight and not annoying, which started to redeem things a little.

Xeno'jiiva was free, I was suprised when he fell so soon, don't know why they even bothered. But I'll take it, at that point I just wanted to get to post-game and back to doing the hunts I want to do for the equipment I want. The game is crack again. Started Witcher and FF questlines and will be working on leftover optional quests until Iceborne goes on sale again. Putting SA on the shelf and going with DB now, which I avoided because the moves looked too anime but I'm really liking the speed, dps, and agility.

Overall this is one of my top 5 games of the last 5 years. If Iceborne is as good as everyone says, it could be #1.
Iceborne makes the base game feel kind of pointless aside from gathering mantles and other quest specific items. I went into it with fully upgraded Xeno'jiiva armor and it was instantly rendered obsolete garbage the moment I could craft the first monster's set.

Machocruz

Arcane
Iceborne makes the base game feel kind of pointless aside from gathering mantles and other quest specific items. I went into it with fully upgraded Xeno'jiiva armor and it was instantly rendered obsolete garbage the moment I could craft the first monster's set.
yeah I heard the lowest tier MR gear is well beyond the best HR vanilla stuff. But it's ok as I'm just collecting certain armor based on aesthetics, I don't care about performance.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
yeah I heard the lowest tier MR gear is well beyond the best HR vanilla stuff. But it's ok as I'm just collecting certain armor based on aesthetics, I don't care about performance.
It was just kind of annoying because that set is a bit of a pain in the ass to craft, being that Xeno is a random event and not just some monster you can farm as much as you like. I worked patiently for that shit.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Is there just no way to be completely immune to poison? I had 3 antidote decorations equipped plus a little extra and that dickhole Viper Tobi Kadachi was still able to keep me constantly poisoned. Oh and to add insult to injury I failed the quest because I killed him. I totally forgot it was a capture quest LOL.

Elttharion

Learned
Is there just no way to be completely immune to poison? I had 3 antidote decorations equipped plus a little extra and that dickhole Viper Tobi Kadachi was still able to keep me constantly poisoned. Oh and to add insult to injury I failed the quest because I killed him. I totally forgot it was a capture quest LOL.
You have a few options. Use Cleanser Booster to cure it (place it in the ground somewhere and it lasts for a while so you can just run to it when you get poisoned), use a charm or jewels to raise your poison res and if you have access to nightshade paolumu you can craft a HH that has an 'all ailments negated' melody.

Also something that helps a lot is instead of using antidotes use herb medicines, they are much faster to use. Carry a bunch of mats to craft them during the hunt, you can set up a shortcut to insta craft+eat the item if you are out.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
You have a few options. Use Cleanser Booster to cure it (place it in the ground somewhere and it lasts for a while so you can just run to it when you get poisoned), use a charm or jewels to raise your poison res and if you have access to nightshade paolumu you can craft a HH that has an 'all ailments negated' melody.

Also something that helps a lot is instead of using antidotes use herb medicines, they are much faster to use. Carry a bunch of mats to craft them during the hunt, you can set up a shortcut to insta craft+eat the item if you are out.
Well I figured it would work the same way as it did with the Nightshade Paolumu. If you stack 3 of those anti-sleep jewels (forget what they are called) you are completely impervious to sleep. The antidote jewels describe basically the same result in text but it doesn't work. It seems to lessen damage taken while poisoned but it doesn't make you immune like the anti-sleep jewels. I'll post a screenshot here in a minute. The game outright lies.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
20240222-002618.jpg

"Lv3 PREVENTS POISON"

Filth and lies.

Edit

Nevermind it actually does work. For some reason I only had two jewels equipped. Mother fucker!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom