Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MMO Survey from Social Deviation

tsr_hale

Novice
Fellow Gamers,

Social Deviation, a gaming company founded by gamers for gamers, is launching the first of several rounds of Surveys at the MMO space.

I have an interest in finding all gamers, and seeing what makes them tick. I'm interested in Mobile Games, and the advent of Location Based Games. This survey is the first of a series where I'm trying to learn about us as a market, and if there are any mechanics that Social Deviation can include in the format to make it more engaging for all the types of players, RPG, Adventure, Elite/Hardcore, and Social bases.

Please take a look at the survey, I value what you think.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZZNJVF7

I value your opinions and comments.

Thank you!

DakaSha

Arcane
Smells like somebody that wants to make money and not good games.

*Has fun filling out the survey*

DakaSha

Arcane
i wonder what type of game would be made if somebody managed to fill the survey out 10 000 times with a bot and the reason for playing mmo's always being: Because I'm Lonely

DakaSha

Arcane
so glad i avoid that shit to the point of not even knowing why thats funny

edit: oh. I played mass effect 1 until shepard starting talking to that faggot chick in his crew.
Its all coming together now

tsr_hale

Novice
DakaSha said:
Smells like somebody that wants to make money and not good games.

*Has fun filling out the survey*

Funny Guy...

You put the Standard Deviation in Social Deivation. I'm looking forward to the rest of the greater communities response, since I've targeted more than 1.5 million mmorpg users across a number of forums.

But thanks nonetheless!

Good Games are about the mechanics. Tell me about some of the mechanics that made playing the games you play/ed fun. And, truthfull or not, they all come out in game play when they get designed in prototyping. If they aren't fun, they get cut.

I have my own ideas and this is the part where I get to begin to validate them with the community. I hope you're as excited as I am, cause I'll be frank. I think MMO's have lost a bit of their glamor.

DakaSha

Arcane
Funny Guy...

Not my intent

You put the Standard Deviation in Social Deivation. I'm looking forward to the rest of the greater communities response, since I've targeted more than 1.5 million mmorpg users across a number of forums.

Good job copy/pasting

Good Games are about the mechanics. Tell me about some of the mechanics that made playing the games you play/ed fun. And, truthfull or not, they all come out in game play when they get designed in prototyping. If they aren't fun, they get cut.

Then why is your survey designed the way it is. It is nothing but a marketing analysis that seems to rely on pseudo psychological bs and numbers. I dont see jack shit about mechanics

I have my own ideas and this is the part where I get to begin to validate them with the community.

That could actually lead to an interesting discussion. One i wouldnt participate in but better then a survey asking me how much i would pay for a smartphone mmo.

I hope you're as excited as I am, cause I'll be frank. I think MMO's have lost a bit of their glamor.

My tolerance for marketing pep talk is extremely low but this actually made me laugh.
Yes random person who has been copy pasting his shit all over the internet asking me whether id be willing to pay $25 a month for a browser based smart phone game: I am extremely excited about a game i know literally nothing about from a person who has not shown me any ideas!

edit: oh dont forget the other 3958735985 developers doing the exact same shit

:smug:

Raapys

Arcane
The original Anarchy Online( before expansions) is the answer you're looking for.

tsr_hale

Novice
tsr_hale said:
Fellow Gamers,

Social Deviation... is launching the first of several rounds of Surveys at the MMO space.

DakaSha.... dude chill. Marketing is important, before you build a game. You MUST know the target audience.

I'm validating that.

Stay tuned for more interesting stuff. You may not think the mobile media market is the direction MMO's should go, but SmartPhones are projected to outsell Laptops and Desktops and Tablets next year globaly. And besides, the mechanics for a Location Based MMO, using your location doesn't work well with a stationary desktop.

Have you checked out some of the new Location Based games that are just hitting the market?

DakaSha

Arcane
How does this conflict with anything ive said? I said you are more interested in making money then good games. Maybe you will even be successful in the endeavor. I diont care about your marketing. I care about good games and based on what (little) i see chances are you are going to make stupid retard shit that sells good. Thanks for proving my point.

But please do continue telling me how its all about the mechanics

edit: lol your edit just reinforced my point

J1M

Arcane
tsr_hale said:
tsr_hale said:
Fellow Gamers,

Social Deviation... is launching the first of several rounds of Surveys at the MMO space.

DakaSha.... dude chill. Marketing is important, before you build a game. You MUST know the target audience.

I'm validating that.

Stay tuned for more interesting stuff. You may not think the mobile media market is the direction MMO's should go, but SmartPhones are projected to outsell Laptops and Desktops and Tablets next year globaly. And besides, the mechanics for a Location Based MMO, using your location doesn't work well with a stationary desktop.

Have you checked out some of the new Location Based games that are just hitting the market?
Your company and game will fail because you are not a gamer and have been hired by someone who is not a gamer. You don't understand games because you don't care about them and you don't play them.

You are the human garbage who would come up with and call Valve's Portal 2 ARG a huge success because it drove a few thousand sales of that indie game pack and completely ignore the hundred thousand gamers it pissed off enough to pirate their next game.

DakaSha

Arcane
J1M said:
tsr_hale said:
tsr_hale said:
Fellow Gamers,

I'm validating that.

Your company and game will fail because you are not a gamer and have been hired by someone who is not a gamer. You don't understand games because you don't care about them and you don't play them.

You are the human garbage who would come up with and call Valve's Portal 2 ARG a huge success because it drove a few thousand sales of that indie game pack and completely ignore the hundred thousand gamers it pissed off enough to pirate their next game.

Actually i think he is the companies manager and founder. click the link in his sig and you will see the most pathetic gaming website you have ever seen that just further reinforces his total fixation on marketing.

If you were passionate about making good games youd fucking make them (maybe after some fun discussions about gameplay features) because youve been dying to make your perfect game since you were 15 years old.
The first thing you do wouldnt be to create a website that looks like a marketing solutions gig and to post surveys on what people want to pay for.

Your type is the reason for :decline:

But dude: Prove us wrong. Make a fun game. Just keep in mind that if you want to impress most people in this forum it had better not be a forgettable/casual/gimmicky fuckfest.. actually you prob dont have a chance if its on a phone xD
If you make some great shit then awesome. we could all use it

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Interesting survey...if a little bit shallow.
I am not even sure what kind of raw data can you process from the fixed answers that you provide.

Can you explain, if possible, how are you able to extract what kind of gameplay mechanics or exploration mechanics people are likely to invest money and time in it using the answers you put in the survey?

Mind you, at least there is the possibility to write what you think using the "other" field, but it feels to me that the economical side is very important, while I don't really see any questions made to ascertain what makes "mmos" fun.

Also,
I think MMO's have lost a bit of their glamor.

that's a very interesting word you use:

also glam·or (glăm'ər) pronunciation
n.

1. An air of compelling charm, romance, and excitement, especially when delusively alluring.

I'd like to highlight the "delusively alluring" part.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
"I'm passionate about game mechanics and making MMO environments more dynamic, engaging, and real. The future of the MMO is on the SmartPhone."

If you really believe that then you're posting your survey on the wrong forum, bro. Only a few people here like MMOs and even then I'd say iphone/ipad games are near universally reviled. You're better off going to destructoid or some place where the average user age is 16-21.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
tsr_hale said:
I have an interest in finding all gamers, and seeing what makes them tick.
I honestly don't think anything being played on a phone will make me tick. Not because "I hate phones!", but because anything interesting in a massively multiplayer environment would require an interface that is beyond anything that would be comfortable playing on a hand-held device. It's that simple, really.

waywardOne

Arcane
tsr_hale said:
and if there are any mechanics that Social Deviation can include in the format to make it more engaging for all the types of players, RPG, Adventure, Elite/Hardcore, and Social bases.

right here is why i and many others will say "fuck you". pick a fucking genre and do it right. so what if you can't sell it to every gamer with a credit card.

waywardOne

Arcane
DakaSha said:
edit: oh. I played mass effect 1 until shepard starting talking to that faggot chick in his crew.
kaiden?

DakaSha

Arcane
waywardOne said:
DakaSha said:
kaiden?

I cant remember but when she started going on about military wives and her military father for an hour i got super mad. I literally got red faced and sold the whole console.
Im not exaggerating. I sold that next gen piece of shit because of that dialogue lol

No idea why i even owned a new console :-/

waywardOne

Arcane
main-thumb-1899944-100-TSR42pHU3DhWRTm0WbhkWH91tRbObtwo.jpeg

Thomas G. Hale

Senior Engineer

Thomas G. Hale Sr. joined Managed Objects July 2000 as a Help Desk Support Technician. His current title is Senior Engineer and works with Professional Services, as a Consultant & Trainer. In this Role he advises customers on the strategy of service modeling, architecture, and teaches new & old customers the concepts related to it. Mr Hale has worked with a broad customer base and has been involved with implementations spanning 6 continents in his tenure with Managed Objects. He is an expert in several key areas of the product suite. Mr. Hale holds a Bachelors of Science from Catholic University in Politics.

get fucked, "fellow gamer".

DakaSha

Arcane
Lol thats pretty cruel.. he looks like a nice guy.

Oh well. Picked the wrong place to spout this marketing nonsense xD

J1M

Arcane
Bachelors of Science from Catholic University in Politics
For starters, Politics is a Bachelors of Arts program... even at Catholic University. But hey, throw the word science in there cuz science is respected right? Same reason you pretend a game is an MMO/RPG/shooter when you market it!

Same reason you throw in the words gameplay mechanics when you try to bait someone to take your survey.

The worst part about people like this:
a) They think they are being clever. As if people don't see right through them.
b) They don't see anything unethical about such an approach.

All the evidence you need in this very thread. Look at his posts. Even after being outed he still thinks he will be able to fool people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom