Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Is there some place that lists all the classes and info about them? My mate is considering a purchase but wants to read a bit first.

Disgruntled

Savant
I'm not sure that's a wise assumption. This isn't that kind of game.
son, you've wandered into the wrong neighbourhood

hmm fair nuff. Never tried the originals but if the combat, party progression is good and the dungeons are interesting i wont mind too much.
Do they just not bother with it? I havent seen anything that would restrict the presence of c&c and deeper dialogues.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm not sure that's a wise assumption. This isn't that kind of game.
son, you've wandered into the wrong neighbourhood

hmm fair nuff. Never tried the originals but if the combat, party progression is good and the dungeons are interesting i wont mind too much.
Do they just not bother with it? I havent seen anything that would restrict the presence of c&c and deeper dialogues.

i dont understand the question

Okay, seriously: of course they don't bother with it. This is a game stretched on resources, and it's about dungeon crawling, leveling, fighting and managing. Why would they strain an already stretched budget trying to flesh out dialogue and reactivity of all things? It is simply irrelevant to the experience. There's a bunch of thing that would take precedence; open world skills like Alchemy, mini-games like Arcomage, more complex dungeons, more puzzles, more character system diversity. I'd much rather have more of that than something taken from a whole other style of game. You might as well ask why Duke Nukem 3D does have tactical inventory management.

That said, some of the games do have some neat bits of reactivity, but those are just incidental cool beans. It's not what these games are about.

Disgruntled

Savant
i dont understand the question

Okay, seriously: of course they don't bother with it. This is a game stretched on resources, and it's about dungeon crawling, leveling, fighting and managing. Why would they strain an already stretched budget trying to flesh out dialogue and reactivity of all things? It is simply irrelevant to the experience. There's a bunch of thing that would take precedence; open world skills like Alchemy, mini-games like Arcomage, more complex dungeons, more puzzles, more character system diversity. I'd much rather have more of that than something taken from a whole other style of game. You might as well ask why Duke Nukem 3D does have tactical inventory management.

That said, some of the games do have some neat bits of reactivity, but those are just incidental cool beans. It's not what these games are about.

If its that type of game and the budget was so limited then yea I wouldnt expect them to stretch out in features.
But if some other game does go for it, all the better.

Again, going in blind to the series i didnt immediately think its purely about the dungeon crawling etc.
The more you know...

Redlands

Arcane
Bethesda and BioWare make excellent portraits in video games.

ScreenShot8.png

Definitely.

Arkeus

Arcane
We have our spiritual successor to Xeen, if there's an MMXI it should be fashioned after MMVI.
Please, no.
MMXI must stay in the same vein like MM III,IV,V,X.
We have already been told it will almost certainly not be turn-based if there is one. Basically, they wanted to make an homage to the earlier games, but they also want to make more games like the more recent ones.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Most people played MMVI-VIII in turn-based mode though. Real time is just for mowing down mobs (or strafing with bows to kill a dragon).
Ah, playing with 4 archers and mowing down enemis like a gatling gun. :D

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
We have our spiritual successor to Xeen, if there's an MMXI it should be fashioned after MMVI.
Please, no.
MMXI must stay in the same vein like MM III,IV,V,X.
We have already been told it will almost certainly not be turn-based if there is one. Basically, they wanted to make an homage to the earlier games, but they also want to make more games like the more recent ones.

More recent ones had optional turn-based modes. I can't imagine how shitty a real-time only M&M game would be.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, if they make the next game in the vein of MM6, they better include a turn-based mode! Actually, in that case, I'd love them to include both modes, turn-based and real-time, just like in MM6 - that'd be broken as hell, of course, but also crazy as shit and pretty unique as far as games these days go. :P

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We have already been told it will almost certainly not be turn-based if there is one.

No such thing has ever been said.

They did say that it might not be grid-based, but even that's not a sure thing.

Morphi

Augur
We have already been told it will almost certainly not be turn-based if there is one.

No such thing has ever been said.

They did say that it might not be grid-based, but even that's not a sure thing.
By "not turn based" i meant "more like MMVI", as that was the context.

And they did say that.
They wanted to cool fan anger at that time (MM6+ fans flamed them for the TB system), it is way easier and cheaper to reuse the existing engine, and a better investment for them...and I am a fan of MM6+

narupley

Scholar
Most people played MMVI-VIII in turn-based mode though. Real time is just for mowing down mobs (or strafing with bows to kill a dragon).

Did you seriously walk all the way from one end of Free Haven to the other in turn-based mode? I fucking think not. Real time is also good for exploration, which is what these games are all about.

I want to see BOTH real-time (for exploration), AND turn-based (for combat). If they can find a way to eliminate the exploits/kiting, like snapping to the underlying grid when in active combat, that'd be ideal.

Arkeus

Arcane

Did you seriously walk all the way from one end of Free Haven to the other in turn-based mode? I fucking think not. Real time is also good for exploration, which is what these games are all about.
You can't even walk in TB in MMVI, iirc.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
If they can find a way to eliminate the exploits/kiting, like snapping to the underlying grid when in active combat, that'd be ideal.
Wizardry 8 has real time, free roaming exploration and turn-based combat. As does Thunderscape from '95, though that game kinda blows. No snapping to a grid nonsense either.

If they were going to do a free roaming game like VI-VIII I'd prefer they kept the option of real time combat precisely because of the exploits and cheesing tactics it allows for. That's half the fun of playing those games.

narupley

Scholar

You can't even walk in TB in MMVI, iirc.

You could in MMVII+, just have to hold down D I think, so that all party members always defend or whatever. So, yeah I guess my comment about Free Haven wasn't completely accurate/relevant. Substitute that for Erathia or something.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom