Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Early focus damage is pretty weak, direct damage spells drain mana fast, and you should take more damage on average in the early game than the typical party (no melee attacks randomly hitting a block character, etc.); I expect to need a bunch of extra potions during early boss fights compared to a "balanced" group.

And "choose 2-3 schools for each" looks like a problem to me; finding the optimal combination of 7-12 schools divided between four people who also need some defense and big mana pools is not that easy. Add to that the issue of optimizing roles (like giving your Light and Earth GMs more hp and def, making sure your Focus GMs can take full advantage of their GM bonus, considering whether your non-focus GM buffers/healers should go after other weapon relics, figuring out who goes for expert medium armor to wear armor relics and so on).

It's much easier when you just have two mage classes and let them GM whatever schools they can while the other classes take care of the weapons and armor.

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
It's hard to rest in the middle of combat, since the enemies are not very accommodating...

Early focus damage is pretty weak, direct damage spells drain mana fast, and you should take more damage on average in the early game than the typical party (no melee attacks randomly hitting a block character, etc.); I expect to need a bunch of extra potions during early boss fights compared to a "balanced" group.

Early game my mages way outdamaged my blade dancer, dunno what you are talking about. Before you can get multiple strike or otherwise bypass block, AND get a decent weapon, Mage will wipe face since they primarily rely only on skills + stats. 2 Mages did 3/4ths of the damage to the lighthouse boss, 4 mages might be able to kill him before he could get into melee. At the very least, the turn after he came into melee.

EDIT: Just tried one of each mage and went straight for lighthouse. Cleaned it in one go and ended with 4 rations left. Didn't melt the boss that quickly though due to the fact that only 2 characters had fireball, but it was still dead simple (Even if the ice spell doesn't deal much damage it makes him a kitten for damage). Used only 1 mana pot, for the ambush from two sides. Went in at basically the min level and without equipment at all. Total slaughter really.

And "choose 2-3 schools for each" looks like a problem to me; finding the optimal combination of 7-12 schools divided between four people who also need some defense and big mana pools is not that easy. Add to that the issue of optimizing roles (like giving your Light and Earth GMs more hp and def, making sure your Focus GMs can take full advantage of their GM bonus, considering whether your non-focus GM buffers/healers should go after other weapon relics, figuring out who goes for expert medium armor to wear armor relics and so on).

It's much easier when you just have two mage classes and let them GM whatever schools they can while the other classes take care of the weapons and armor.

wat. How does having more options make it harder to choose? That's entirely unintuitive. With 4 mages you would be able to have all of the schools. The only issue is deciding how to dish out equipment and which spells to spend precious early-game gold on.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I killed many early bosses easliy with firebolt and frosbolt. It become easier with poison and lighting bolt. Sparks help a lot even with all that air resistance trash.
Then it become absurd when chain lighting started to crit 1200 and acid splash 700. Also I used that weight spell once (ye olde mass distortion) on some poor boss and it critted for 1400.
Fighters need good weapons to hit like a truck but casters don't. Hell, they haven't got good equipment either. Haven't found any legenday focus or caster body armor.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
So, better or worse than the old M&M's? Heard some pretty damning opinions from people who love old dungeon delvers. Mostly because it feels more soulless than the old games.

Well, it's better than 9 at least :troll:

Everyone will agree its better than 8 and 9

Nope.

Personally, I never got the hate for 8. I think 8 is a very solid game, and much better than 7, which I consider the worst in the series, sans 9.

But then again, it could also be said that I never got the love for 7, which seems to be the 2nd most popular favourite right after Xeen.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
7, which I consider the worst in the series

suck mah ballsack mista

where do i sign up

What do you dislike about VII? I'm curious. VIII sucks for a variety of reasons, though I think many people dislike it because of lack of party customization and opopop dragons.

VII seems to me to be the perfect intermediate between VI and VIII: all the polish of VIII, all the coolness of VI. I think World of Xeen and VII are the most popular for good reasons.

Morphi

Augur
The whining continues, I wonder how these Might and Magic "fans" hurt sales...

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...-the-serie?s=58fc81104e34c857c24f1b873ce81097
MMX: Legacy - Probably the worst title from the serie.
2- The chess board-like gameplay / map and turned-based combat system.
- Why would you come with an idea like that? Who in the world decided it would be best to have a system like that for a M&M title?
:roll:

Some people should read infos about a game before buying it...

Edit:
another one:

Are you kidding me ???!!! This is dumb !!! This is the stupidest thing ever, man !!!
JEEZ LOUISE YOU GUYS DROPPED THE BALL ON THIS BAD !!!

I try to repair a weapon, the blacksmith says it doesn't need repairs... I walk for FIFTEEN MINUTES to my destination and the after the first swing... BAM it breaks...

It's like they specifically designed it this to **** PEOPLE OUT OF THEIR TIME... I AM SERIOUS ! This is almost CRIMINAL !!!

What the hell did you do with this crap? Even the "DEVS" don't know what the **** they're talking about during that Stream of theirs. They play so ****ing slow because they know the loading times are **** and don't want to reveal to their viewers how god damn ****TY the lag is and how bad the framerate is. Oh... "LET'S TAKE A BREAK" RIGHT BEFORE a known LAG SPOT. So we can let the game load so that when we come back, we can MASK how god damn ****ty this game really is to UNSUSPECTING POTENTIAL BUYERS !!!

"SMOOTH GAMEPLAY" MY *** !!! WHAT THE ****... OH MY GOD...

ty wolf

He is right, this is dumb... :smug:

They may have some good points but hide them in a pile of shit.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
What do you dislike about VII?

I thought MM7 was a completely nosedive from 6. The dungeons sucked balls, it was considerably more generic and no longer as crazy, some of the places were downright frustrating (and for different reasons, too - navigating around Bracada Desert without flight was a nightmare, going through places like Land of the Giants/Titan Temple/Necromancer City was a source of constant rage), so many vital trainers were placed in Nighon, which was hidden at the end of those completely awful tunnels, the Celeste quest of running past a dungeons and not hurting anything was frustrating and idiotic, the final levels (ESPECIALLY the Lincoln) were nothing short of atrocious, and generally, the game felt way too long for the content it provided. I think just about the ONLY improvements it had over 6 was the improved character system and faction-choosing.

MM8, on the other hand, was considerably shorter than 6 and 7, but in the light of 7 it was a plus. I felt that 8 was a whole lot better focused and condensed, and the entire world/setting was, I thought, VERY fantastical and otherworldly (I particularly dug the opening tropical islands, and the sunken minotaur caves, or the somewhat gimmicky elemental planes). No custom party building sucked, yeah, but it was kind of balanced out by getting the party limit up to 5, and adding the aspect of fishing for party members. As for dragons, I never used them because I heard so much about them being broken that I preferred to avoid them (altho Pope Amole says they are overrated anyway, CANT TRUST ANYONE DESE DAYS). Oh, and it also had plenty of side-choosing, although to a less important degree than 7. And the endgame was also terrible (lolololo here are some hordes of creatures immune to all but light and dark), so I guess that's that.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
The whining continues, I wonder how these Might and Magic "fans" hurt sales...

2- The chess board-like gameplay / map and turned-based combat system.
- Why would you come with an idea like that? Who in the world decided it would be best to have a system like that for a M&M title?

jnNCFxa.png

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I try to repair a weapon, the blacksmith says it doesn't need repairs... I walk for FIFTEEN MINUTES to my destination and the after the first swing... BAM it breaks...

It's like they specifically designed it this to **** PEOPLE OUT OF THEIR TIME... I AM SERIOUS ! This is almost CRIMINAL !!!

Dude should play RoA HD :troll:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What do you dislike about VII?

I thought MM7 was a completely nosedive from 6. The dungeons sucked balls, it was considerably more generic and no longer as crazy, some of the places were downright frustrating (and for different reasons, too - navigating around Bracada Desert without flight was a nightmare, going through places like Land of the Giants/Titan Temple/Necromancer City was a source of constant rage), so many vital trainers were placed in Nighon, which was hidden at the end of those completely awful tunnels, the Celeste quest of running past a dungeons and not hurting anything was frustrating and idiotic, the final levels (ESPECIALLY the Lincoln) were nothing short of atrocious, and generally, the game felt way too long for the content it provided. I think just about the ONLY improvements it had over 6 was the improved character system and faction-choosing.

The dungeons did not suck balls, but then, you didn't really say why, so it's hard to reply to. I didn't see it as any more generic than VI, in fact, in the beginning it's the reverse, since island/get your own castle was a significantly better start than "go find random dungeon". Navigating the Bracada Desert was good exploration, sounds like you're sad that you couldn't find your way around?

going through places like Land of the Giants/Titan Temple/Necromancer City was a source of constant rage

Was it?

so many vital trainers were placed in Nighon, which was hidden at the end of those completely awful tunnels

The fact that you had to track down a secret land that many NPCs mentioned was exciting and fun. Honestly I don't get the frustration over inability to train until you discover something. Discovery is a key component of Might & Magic.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Personally, I never got the hate for 8. I think 8 is a very solid game, and much better than 7, which I consider the worst in the series, sans 9.

Yeah, 8 was a very good MnM game, no idea why people diss it so much.
7 is my favourite, although the backtracking to Nighon was uber annoying. But I absolute love the good/evil split mid game, that's a fantastic idea, I wish more games did that.

Eyeball

Arcane
Well, Mr. Roxor does have a point or two. Mainly regarding the endgame. Those tunnels were way too long and full of HP bloated filler combat, after a while I just ran past the 6000 behemoths there, and the final sunken spaceship mission was the epitome of derptasticness without even a final boss to the game. Other than that, 7 was extremely enjoyable, lot of freedom and beautiful music to boot.

I find that my MM10 experience is improved by simply playing the MM7 soundtrack in the background and muting the buggy and uninspiring MM10 soundtrack.

Eyeball

Arcane

Yeah, 8 was a very good MnM game, no idea why people diss it so much.
7 is my favourite, although the backtracking to Nighon was uber annoying. But I absolute love the good/evil split mid game, that's a fantastic idea, I wish more games did that.
Town portal, do you speak it!?!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The dungeons did not suck balls, but then, you didn't really say why, so it's hard to reply to. I didn't see it as any more generic than VI, in fact, in the beginning it's the reverse, since island/get your own castle was a significantly better start than "go find random dungeon". Navigating the Bracada Desert was good exploration, sounds like you're sad that you couldn't find your way around?

I remember the dungeons being generally very short and cramped, with a rather significant lack of good puzzles, secrets or a feeling of proper "dungeon delving". Some of those molochs in MM6 were almost Daggerfallish, while MM7's were in contrast incredibly disappointing. Ultimately, they also got significantly boring in the long run, at least for me, which ended up with me ditching the game at one point around the midgame, simply because I didn't really feel like playing it more, and only returning to it like a year later. That didn't happen with all the other MMs I played in the last years, including Xeen and 6, which were significantly bigger and longer than 7, which I think says a lot.

As for Bracada - the teleport jumping and shit was fun for the first time around, but wasting time doing all that just to get to whatever basic shop or trainer every fucking time you returned was simply tedious as hell, and has eventually become symbollic of MM7 in general to me.

As for genericness - I remember MM6 to be a whole lot more crazy than 7. Perhaps this was mostly because of how hilariously unbalanced, buggy and prime for abuse it was (I always say that half the fun of MM6 was about finding new ways of breaking it), but it also had the stuff like the Temple of Baa being much more prominent, silly enemy hordes like nigga headhunters, etc, as well as the sci-fi stuff that started popping up around the middle of the game, like the Tomb of Varn and the Oracle's chambers, while in 7 the sci-fi was only reserved for the very end (and as mentioned previously, horribru).

Yes. It was like Castle Darkmoor all over again, but instead of just 1 Castle Darkmoor in the entire game, there were many many more of them. Going across hordes of ranged enemies, especially casters, was always the most annoying thing to do in MMs 6-8, and MM7 takes the cake in this regard. The Pit with negrodancer hordes, the Titans which insta-kill you with lightnings, the hordes upon hordes of liches on plateaus that can only be reached one-by-one in that one huge underground tomb whose name I forgot, etc.

The fact that you had to track down a secret land that many NPCs mentioned was exciting and fun. Honestly I don't get the frustration over inability to train until you discover something. Discovery is a key component of Might & Magic.

"Track down a secret land" is quite the euphemism for "break your way through annoying samey tunnels with nothing else except minotaurs, beholders and behemoths called Nighon Tunnels to find the secret land of Nighon". And it was annoying as shit because Nighon had the master water trainer, which was necessary for Lloyd's Beacon, as well as a couple of others like master bow, leather and dagger, which left my thief dramatically subpar for a lot of the game, and it sure as hell wasn't very much related to "fun from discovery". There were also some more ridiculous annoyances that I kept stumbling upon all the time in the game that I don't even remember right now.

Oh, and MM8 also had better music:rpgcodex:

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw what's the deal with 9, actually? I have had a copy on GOG for two years now but never got round to playing it because everytime I was about to give it a try, I looked at the comments and had to nopenopenope out of there.

So is it really not worth a single playthrough? Really that bad?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Btw what's the deal with 9, actually? I have had a copy on GOG for two years now but never got round to playing it because everytime I was about to give it a try, I looked at the comments and had to nopenopenope out of there.

So is it really not worth a single playthrough? Really that bad?

The nicest thing Julien had to say about it, being one of the few who completed the entire thing, was that it had 1 or 2 concepts that weren't terrible.

I tried to finish it two times. It's pretty terrible.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The case of Might & Magic IX is particularly sad, since Might & Magic was one of the few series - actually, the only series - from the "Golden Age of RPGs" that successfully reinvented itself for the late 90s.

If the series had been allowed to progress naturally instead of being milked to death by 3DO, it could have still existed today as an AAA franchise - a party-based alternative to The Elder Scrolls games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom