Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Memoirs of a Battle Brothel - a NSFW Cyberpunk RPG

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Sykar

Arcane
So what exactly is a battle brotel Tyranicon ? Do you engage in gladiatorial fights with the sluts before you get laid?
511.png

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I do feel strangely protective of, like, the sanctity of your vision and shit.

A more realistic view of me and my vision might be somewhat disappointing lol. Like I said elsewhere on the codex, I'm just a failed novelist who likes the idea of being overworked.

So what exactly is a battle brotel Tyranicon ? Do you engage in gladiatorial fights with the sluts before you get laid?

I was going to name the game Battle Hookers as an homage to Battle Brothers, but I decided to class it up a bit.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
ho likes the idea of being overworked
Fuck's wrong with you jack

Probably a lot of things. A masochistic tendency towards work is how I justify leaving a cushy office job and going into solodev.

I guess I'm also a challenge seeker. But instead of going one level higher in my morning sudoku, I decided that going fulltime, in a notoriously competitive industry where 90%+ of businesses fail, is a good idea.

:greatjob:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Itchio shows:

Current version: 0.26

The game is currently in Open Beta/Early Access, which means it's still under development and is only roughly 75% finished.

Is this correct?

I'm considering just getting it now. I usually only get finished works but why the hell not....

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Itchio shows:

Current version: 0.26

The game is currently in Open Beta/Early Access, which means it's still under development and is only roughly 75% finished.

Is this correct?

I'm considering just getting it now. I usually only get finished works but why the hell not....

Yup, itch and steam are up to date and have version parity. The game has about ~5 months left in the oven before 1.0.

If you do get it, feel free to let me know your thoughts. I generally incorporate user suggestions unless they're stupid ones.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
1.5 gigs. That has to be the heftiest RPGmaker project I've downloaded. I'll log my progress soon.

Rafidur

Learned
Battle Brothel

The clients are at our door! We know our duty and we will do it! We are prepared for multiple, simultaneous deep strikes! The Codex Astartes names this manoeuver Golden Rain!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Ok, I haven't really gotten all that far (a couple of murders, an elf, and now zombies, along with me having a list of places and tasks I have to do).

Forthis initial playthrough I chose zero background or as close to neutral as possible. Oh how I wanted to be an old homeless hobobuf i chose close enough. I would have liked an old white beardo in rags but its fine).

No starting perks. I have yet to sex anyone. I keep my mind on improvements of the establishment. So all my gear is default starting gear.

Some things are minor nothings:
Can't play the video games
Can't observe/look or use some of the vending/bank machines on the walls and background like atms, lights, sit on chairs/seats
Can't clean trash/bottles off the ground
Can't snag plates, food, trash offtables
Can't rummage through my bookcase.
Can't enter bathrooms in guild(yet)
Where's the showers/baths?
Can't LOOK/EXAMINE objects in the background (as far as I can tell)
Can't dance on the floor orthe pole (yet)
Not sure if there is a personality for your player based on past life.
Some dialogue choices I'd probably not say on some alts so needs more "say nothings or the like."

I'm having a hard time targeting/activating entrances/dialogue with some people/places. I click and click hit space or activate and nothing. Walk a bit and reposition and sometimes it clicks/activates. Barkeep I had no ideaicould talk too as i clicked her and not space in front so I missed her intro i guess if there was one. Maybe you can't talk with everyone.

switching members was a pain. I couldn't tell who was selected and who wasn't. This needs fixing or I'm an idiot.

One pink lady had a small spelling error and said "doo" i think. I should have screenshotted.

Camera can cut your walking avatar's head off/clip through walks/floor. Changing the camera helps. Thorough use of 3/4 is recommended as you can see doors and stuff. I started to switch up my angles to look around more as i couldn't always find exits.

My final error was with the zombies. My mouse stopped working. Cycling menus and going to title didn't help. I had to quit and restart it wotked again. That's where i stopped.

LOVE THE MUSIC. It isn't overly loud and there are volume controls.

Combat is cool esp with end turn allowing you to FACE direction without using move points. If you played Shard of spring, wizard's crown and maybe Disciples of steel facing uses up ap/move points (maybe other games do as well) So that was a bonus.

I thought a lot of my companions weredead but surving the combat with 1 member showed everyone was still alive.

I like the day/night transitions and your income can come anywhere you are at while walking or talking not like some games where you rest a day in the inn and income/interest is then applied. Of course i still had to get to my room terminal to buy the next upgrade or construction.

I'll get better at the combat asit has been a while since i played a more tactical game. Lately I played simple games with dragon warrior like combat or bump combat you walk into them and it autottacks, or mouseclick combat or set up actions in menu then type GO/START COMBAT.

Big plus i'm not forced to fuck every encounter. I've played various eroge that look like simple RPG maker games and fucking seems unavoidable. I like to try things many won't. I mean i had thought about murderhoboing and killing everyone even kill the brothel members in their sleep but that might not be an option.

Game has a huge story driven force and some seems a bit VN with the large dialogue but it isn't like the VNs where you read for hours straight and no manual gameplay beyond click mouse to advance words. Combat isn't click button attack attack cast; you have tactical movement, different ways to attack and use it seems. I fon't recall if scanning can determine enemy weapons/defense or if there is a skill.

I lament I didn't have the investigatir skills or computer tech skills during the murder investigation.

I'll make another alt and try and see if i can just pass days away without following the story. I'm curious if blood fight simulators give xp. I see potential to grind and build fortress and xp grind if so. I still don't knowif i can drop 4 peopleso i can adventure solo.

That's all i have for now.

cheers.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Ok, I haven't really gotten all that far...

Awesome, it's always nice to get another codexian perspective on the game. In response to some of your points:

I'm having a hard time targeting/activating entrances/dialogue with some people/places. I click and click hit space or activate and nothing.

Yeah, this is a known issue and is caused by the interaction of the 3D code and custom hitboxes. Essentially, I got this game to work by breaking the engine, so it's a little iffy sometimes. Approaching an object or person by a cardinal direction yields the best results, as opposed to diagonals.

switching members was a pain. I couldn't tell who was selected and who wasn't.

Hmm, the current system is a bit archaic, but you should be able to see whose selected pretty easily.

My final error was with the zombies.

Was it the first encounter with the zombies in the
Abyss, where you got two Mandate guys to help you, or in a dungeon?

I thought a lot of my companions weredead but surving the combat with 1 member showed everyone was still alive.

Yeah, pretty standard JRPG mechanic. No permadeaths in this game, although I suspect my future games will be different.

I'll make another alt and try and see if i can just pass days away without following the story. I'm curious if blood fight simulators give xp. I see potential to grind and build fortress and xp grind if so. I still don't knowif i can drop 4 peopleso i can adventure solo.

Story quests (the four faction quest chains and the main guild quest) are basically optional. You can do any of them, or none of them. The other part of the game is the overworld gameplay, where you can take on contracts and stuff, but it's still pretty WIP right now.

Blood pit fights give xp, but those are more of a relic from early dev. I'm thinking of deprioritizing them since overworld combat gives exp (and items, and other resources such as Esteem, as well as having greater enemy variety).

You can also do the game solo, although the mid-late game combat will approach nigh-impossibility without cheats.

Thanks again, and appreciate the writeup.

Sykar

Arcane
Just watched the trailer, somehow I forgot to watch it, doh. I really dig Cyberpunk so I might give this a shot. Question, what is the music in that trailer Tyranicon ?
Also is this some kind of 2D/3D hyrid engine? The characters are 2D sprites but the levels are rotatable and seem 3D or is that just a sort of "illusion"?
Edit: Wishlisted it for now on Steam.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Just watched the trailer, somehow I forgot to watch it, doh. I really dig Cyberpunk so I might give this a shot. Question, what is the music in that trailer Tyranicon ?
Also is this some kind of 2D/3D hyrid engine? The characters are 2D sprites but the levels are rotatable and seem 3D or is that just a sort of "illusion"?
Edit: Wishlisted it for now on Steam.

The steam trailer's music is "It's Full of Stars" By Isidor. Youtube trailer music is "The Last Geisha" also by Isidor. I licensed some of his music in the game, so you'll find it there too.

Engine is heavily modified RPGMaker MV. With a lot of custom code, it's a full 3D game, but sprites are still 2D. You can switch between 3D top-down, isometric and 2D perspective modes.

KafkaBot

Scholar
You are possibly the only person who actually likes the pixel art portraits.

Now, I haven't played your game yet - I'm waiting for the full release, since my backlog is gargantuan and my time has been scarce -, but please count me among those who enjoy those pixel art portraits.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You are possibly the only person who actually likes the pixel art portraits.

Now, I haven't played your game yet - I'm waiting for the full release, since my backlog is gargantuan and my time has been scarce -, but please count me among those who enjoy those pixel art portraits.
Yeah the portraits are massively better to look at than the 2d art. Somehow.

Neat project. I'd be happy to donate some music for free if you are looking for some additional tracks for Memoirs of a Battle Brothel? I've written music that's been in the Showtime show Shameless, and in a number of different video games (including #KILLALLZOMBIES, Super Toy Cars, KotC 2, and more). I wrote some electronica/synthwave tracks a few years ago that may fit the Cyberpunk vibe. Below are a few, which are setup for looping:

I have several more I'd be happy to share pro bono if you have any interest. I also have a few synth infused Alt. Rock songs that have lyrical themes that may fit for a trailer song, but might not jive enough with the cyber punk setting.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Neat project. I'd be happy to donate some music for free if you are looking for some additional tracks for Memoirs of a Battle Brothel? I've written music that's been in the Showtime show Shameless, and in a number of different video games (including #KILLALLZOMBIES, Super Toy Cars, KotC 2, and more). I wrote some electronica/synthwave tracks a few years ago that may fit the Cyberpunk vibe. Below are a few, which are setup for looping:

Memoirs is finishing up and won't need more tracks, but I will definitely keep you in mind. Some good stuff here. Is the contact info in your sig still accurate?

Memoirs is finishing up and won't need more tracks, but I will definitely keep you in mind. Some good stuff here. Is the contact info in your sig still accurate?

All good. Contact info in my sig is still accurate.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Game will be going on sale via Itch with a pay what you want bundle in a few hours, if you want to pick up something new.

https://itch.io/b/1327/pay-what-you-want-for-great-adult-fantasy-games
Pay what you want as long as it's at least $15 if you want Battle Brothel.

Oh yeah, that too. Normally I wouldn't care, but I have some old business partners and I don't want to pull the rug from under them by pricing it too low than the steam version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom