Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mechwarrior

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Trash said:
Still like the first Mechwarrior the best. There was something about being able to fight for whomever you liked in the entire inner spheres. Not to mention that it could be damn randomn as well, making it fairly unpredictable. A garrison duty could mean doing fuck-all and just sitting your time out or facing a full on assault. Loved that.

The rest of the MW were nice but none were as expansive as the first.

Doesn't that one have vector graphics? How does that work out?

Just find it on an abandonware site and start up ye ol'e dosbox. It's an archaic game, sure, but still loads of fun.

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/471/Mechwarrior.html

Lightknight

Liturgist
I've always though the Battletech strategy games (Crescent Hawks Revenge, MechCommander) were better than the Mechwarrior line.
Eh. Mechcommander 1 was just a tactical puzzle game. Very little variety in that one. Mostly just one way to win any specific mission, unless you go into self-imposed perversions like "vehicles only" and stuff. Second one is less of a puzzle, but still "tactics light".

I prefer mechs with hands so I can pound other giant robots into scrap.
There is no need to specifically have hands for melee combat. You can invent all kinds of shit, harpoons, chainsaws, piston-action stakes. Brawling with metal fists is kinda...low-class for a proper mech game.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Lightknight said:
I prefer mechs with hands so I can pound other giant robots into scrap.
There is no need to specifically have hands for melee combat. You can invent all kinds of shit, harpoons, chainsaws, piston-action stakes. Brawling with metal fists is kinda...low-class for a proper mech game.
Not if you suplex that asshole standing in your way.

Rogue

Educated
Meh. I used to play MechCommander online to death. Didn't like the second one much. Don't know about MechWarrior.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Trash said:
Still like the first Mechwarrior the best. There was something about being able to fight for whomever you liked in the entire inner spheres. Not to mention that it could be damn randomn as well, making it fairly unpredictable. A garrison duty could mean doing fuck-all and just sitting your time out or facing a full on assault. Loved that.

The rest of the MW were nice but none were as expansive as the first.
I agree here. It's kinda sad that sometimes a first game in series has some cool features like these that never get picked up in later games.

Anyway, is it normal that I get no sound in game? Only some glitchy music in bar and after mission.

DakaSha said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Has anyone tried Titans of Steel: Warring Suns?

couldnt get into it back when i tried it. How is the AI? If its ok then maybe ill give it a chance
Frankly, the game seems to be very bad. Interface is bad, controls are horrible, there's no background, manual consists of sets of formulas of game calculations, etc.

Lightknight said:
I've always though the Battletech strategy games (Crescent Hawks Revenge, MechCommander) were better than the Mechwarrior line.
Eh. Mechcommander 1 was just a tactical puzzle game. Very little variety in that one. Mostly just one way to win any specific mission, unless you go into self-imposed perversions like "vehicles only" and stuff. Second one is less of a puzzle, but still "tactics light".
Exactly. And it lacked infantry.

Destroid

Arcane
battletech-the-crescent-hawks-revenge_2.jpg

This is the first level. You will fail it many times. Game is pretty brutally hard by my recollection. It's an RTS (you pause while you issue orders I think) game like MechCommander except there is no strategy/merc layer, just a series of missions. At a few points you get to choose which mechs you will use and sometimes you get a choice out of two missions, with a few CnC :smug: .

Once you are near the end it also unlocks a skirmish mode in which you can set up whatever matches you like. It also came with a sweet ass poster with all the mechs in the game on it, but I can't find a picture. The game starts in 3028 with you as a mercenary fighting with Steiner against Kurita, a period I enjoy for it's low tech crappy mechs.

Another interesting point is that the games combat system was supposed to be quite close to the tabletop game, although the game doesn't present especially detailed information on the units in game. It also gave a great sense of scale to the mechs. The first time you encounter a heavy mech, it's a big deal, unlike most other mech games. It never really loses this either because neither you nor the enemy is ever swimming in assault mechs.

EDIT: It also features destructible environments, and you can start forest fires just like in MechCommander.

DakaSha

Arcane
I gave warring suns a chance. No wonder it went fucking freeware

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
DakaSha said:
I gave warring suns a chance. No wonder it went fucking freeware
Yeah. It's kinda sad that someone actually took effort to do code, sounds, graphics and music for such a crappy design.

Destroid said:
battletech-the-crescent-hawks-revenge_2.jpg

This is the first level. You will fail it many times. Game is pretty brutally hard by my recollection. It's an RTS (you pause while you issue orders I think) game like MechCommander except there is no strategy/merc layer, just a series of missions. At a few points you get to choose which mechs you will use and sometimes you get a choice out of two missions, with a few CnC :smug: .

Once you are near the end it also unlocks a skirmish mode in which you can set up whatever matches you like. It also came with a sweet ass poster with all the mechs in the game on it, but I can't find a picture. The game starts in 3028 with you as a mercenary fighting with Steiner against Kurita, a period I enjoy for it's low tech crappy mechs.

Another interesting point is that the games combat system was supposed to be quite close to the tabletop game, although the game doesn't present especially detailed information on the units in game. It also gave a great sense of scale to the mechs. The first time you encounter a heavy mech, it's a big deal, unlike most other mech games. It never really loses this either because neither you nor the enemy is ever swimming in assault mechs.

EDIT: It also features destructible environments, and you can start forest fires just like in MechCommander.
Wow, that sounds fucking great, I'll have to get it.

Destroid said:
It's an RTS (you pause while you issue orders I think) game like MechCommander except there is no strategy/merc layer, just a series of missions. At a few points you get to choose which mechs you will use and sometimes you get a choice out of two missions, with a few CnC :smug: .
It's not a RTS as it doesn't happen on strategic level. It's a RTT.

Overboard

Arcane
Mechwarrior was great. Fuck the main quest up with bad decisions and you die. Trust Tasha or Kearney? Wrong choice and you die. Running around in a Locust shooting the shit out of Battlemasters or assorted heavies with your macineguns was hilarious, because one or two good shots from them would fuck you up, but if you got in close you could blow their legs off.

Crescent Hawk's Revenge was another good game. Remember playing the first few missions repeatedly in order to try to get the Whitworth.
The Elementals would rape you late in the game. The prison mission made me :x because I had to keep making the mechs move in order to get them to shoot where they were supposed to.

edit: info regarding later missions spoilered

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I changed my mind about the Titans of Steel.

I went through the tutorial and it's actually quite fun.

Some interesting stuff that happened to me when playing it:
1. I killed a mecha in meele with a chainsaw and a poweraxe. Its reactor went critical and my mecha got caught in an explosion.
2. My mecha failed some piloting rolls and fell to the ground and hurt itself.
3. My mecha got charged by enemy mecha and got hit really hard. Then it fired all its weapons and used the chainsaw and the poweraxe on it. The enemy mecha ran past my mecha and attacked its back while it was turning. Finally it got hit really hard in melee and got its arm ripped off and the pilot failed a piloting test and fell to the ground.
I hacked it apart while it was on the ground.

From what I saw combat happens on longer ranges than in Battletech, often several kilometres.
My main complaint is that the weapon system is a rip off of the Battletech weapon system up to the retarded decrease of range of cannons together with caliber.

In other words it's the best recreation of Battletech on computer that I have ever played :smug: .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom