Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mechwarrior

So, fans of this venerable series, and possibly Battletech itself here? I just almost finished MW4 Vengeange (can't get damned repair bays to work for some reason in the final mission) and I wonder why I didn't like it when it came out. This was a pretty fun game, and I'm downloading Mercenaries now.

I hope Mechwarrior 5 won't suck.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Popamole series.

EDIT: Still waiting on the next MekTek MekPak though, since the features promised look like they'll de-popamole the MechWarrior games.

fastjack

Augur
re

I played mecwarrior 2 merc. as a kid andloved that shit, got me into sims hardcore. I bought mechwarrior 3 and pirates moon in a pack as a teenager and loved them, though i missed the hell out of the open-ended nature in mercs. Then I played 4 and was disappointed but not terribly the way it seems many were, the cheezy live action cut-scenes instead of military-style briefings sucked. Also it was a lot less sim, and abused in-mission repair.

But I picked up mechwarrior 4 mercs some years later, and while not as open as mw2:m was, it was still a nice positive note to go out on for the series, If you liked mw 4 I think you should love mw4:m. I wish they'd give us some news on whether mechwarrior 5 is happening or what, I believe it needed a publisher when they were trying to advertise its production before.

You may also like mechcommander 1 and 2 if you like the setting and style of mechs.

those games also got me into the board game a bit. just play with my brothers and close friends, and mostly roleplay or scenario type stuff not full competitive battle value type play. It's a shame I can't find any real time to play.

Destroid

Arcane
I've always though the Battletech strategy games (Crescent Hawks Revenge, MechCommander) were better than the Mechwarrior line.

I'm quite shocked that the Battletech tabletop is still kicking along and getting new releases these days, it's such a clumsy system and the models are fugly.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I used to play them a lot. One thing that I dislike is that none of them implemented full Battletech rules (including stuff like kicks, buildings collapsing, infantry, etc.).

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Still like the first Mechwarrior the best. There was something about being able to fight for whomever you liked in the entire inner spheres. Not to mention that it could be damn randomn as well, making it fairly unpredictable. A garrison duty could mean doing fuck-all and just sitting your time out or facing a full on assault. Loved that.

The rest of the MW were nice but none were as expansive as the first.

Vaarna_Aarne

Destroid said:
I've always though the Battletech strategy games (Crescent Hawks Revenge, MechCommander) were better than the Mechwarrior line.

I'm quite shocked that the Battletech tabletop is still kicking along and getting new releases these days, it's such a clumsy system and the models are fugly.
The board game is fairly fun as far as those go. The problem with it is that eventually the updates to it made it into a lumbering and utterly unbalanced behemoth.

Also, the setting itself is a load of fun (though I think Succession Wars was its best period).

I'd say the problem with MechWarrior is that it uses too many elements of the board game, which aren't good for a simulator.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries was my favorite along with Mechwarrior 3. Mech4 got rid of the cool effects like limping from damaged mechs if they were hit in the legs.

MechCommander series was top notch though.

I also liked the Heavy Gear series: more nimble, FPS/mech hybrids, all the benefits of mech combat with a lot more dynamism. Strange that these weren't received all that well back in the day.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Actually, the Mech's in MW4 do limp.

They do? Hmm, I must be thinking of visual location damage.

EDIT: Yeah, the visual feedback in Mechwarrior 3 was much better in working out quickly how fucked an enemy mech was.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I only played MW4: Mercenaries but I loved it. Great fun, with designing my own mechs and fighting all over the galaxy.

I tried playing other parts too but couldnt find good torrents. And MW4: Black Knight bugged out on me. I am not too good with software stuff.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Has anyone tried Titans of Steel: Warring Suns?
looks interesting... but it's just not the same without the classic mechs.

had the same problem with earth siege, eventhough i played through those, it was just a world that felt rather empty. battletech has all the lore of about 60 books (plus the dark age stuff), the boardgame with expansions and field manuals. there's even the (mediocre at best) cartoon. i just wish fasa didn't fuck up like it did and we could still get decent battletech stuff. what i've seen of the dark age stuff looks rather dull and trying-too-hard-ish and i'm rather glad they ended the classic run when they did, eventhough it felt rushed at the time.

If you're looking for more mech games, Future Cop L.A.P..D is a pretty cool mech game, at least it was back in the day. So was Front Mission 3.

Vaarna_Aarne

commie said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Actually, the Mech's in MW4 do limp.

They do? Hmm, I must be thinking of visual location damage.

EDIT: Yeah, the visual feedback in Mechwarrior 3 was much better in working out quickly how fucked an enemy mech was.
That is certainly true... Unless someone is using the Primääri Neekeri spec (a shitload small lasers, used for constant non-heating fire while dashing about at 120 mph) or any small damage rapid fire spec. Since as you know, the game doesn't differentiate between weapons for the damage texture, which can be used with a small pulse laser to reskin your enemies.

EDIT: Future Cop LAPD is a load of fun in coop.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I started playing Mechwarrior 1. I'm trying to play it using my FCS. How weird.

Fens said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
looks interesting... but it's just not the same without the classic mechs.

had the same problem with earth siege, eventhough i played through those, it was just a world that felt rather empty. battletech has all the lore of about 60 books (plus the dark age stuff), the boardgame with expansions and field manuals. there's even the (mediocre at best) cartoon. i just wish fasa didn't fuck up like it did and we could still get decent battletech stuff. what i've seen of the dark age stuff looks rather dull and trying-too-hard-ish and i'm rather glad they ended the classic run when they did, eventhough it felt rushed at the time.
Yeah, Titans of Steel seems to be missing a lot in the fluff department.

Trash said:
Still like the first Mechwarrior the best. There was something about being able to fight for whomever you liked in the entire inner spheres. Not to mention that it could be damn randomn as well, making it fairly unpredictable. A garrison duty could mean doing fuck-all and just sitting your time out or facing a full on assault. Loved that.

The rest of the MW were nice but none were as expansive as the first.

Doesn't that one have vector graphics? How does that work out?

DakaSha

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:

couldnt get into it back when i tried it. How is the AI? If its ok then maybe ill give it a chance

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
BIG HULKING SLOW! thats how Mech sims are about to play...RIGHT VARMA!

you weaabo PIEACE OF SHIT!!"!

*drunk so fuck you*

Vaarna_Aarne

The problems is that MechWarrior doesn't deliver well on that. Do check out Steel Battalion, which is a game that also FORCES you to play Iron Man.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I prefer mechs with hands so I can pound other giant robots into scrap. Instead mechwarrior (pc game) offers us tanks on legs, sometimes chicken legs. Why can't we punch and kick like FASA allowed us to?

Vaarna_Aarne

And there are laser blades as a standard melee weapon (no ammo limit). In AC4A there is also a dozer fist with unlimited uses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom