Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Big video feature from RetrospectiveGaming:

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Serpent in the Staglands KS. 1092 Backers $28,058.00
Copper Dreams KS. 634 Backers. $28,083.00

Well, it's gone over Serpent in money raised but where are all the backers? :|
People are lazy. I will definitely back, but for the moment I'm like "um, there is still time...".

grimace

Arcane
backers

$29,128
pledged of $40,000 goal
days to go

Making progress!

Pledge $15 or more
370 backers

$5550 from the small fry

and

Pledge $250 or more
32 backers

and $8000 from the whales

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hoping for a few shoutouts and a 48hr notification rush, 10k shouldn't be too hard, if Arcadian Atlas could make it on the last meters I am not giving up on Copper Dreams.

Still eagerly awaiting stealth mechanics update!

vonAchdorf

Arcane
10k should be doable, it's 1/3 of what they got. But apparently they have problems tapping into a wider audience. Didn't think that this game is more niche than Serpent in the Staglands.

Mustawd

Didn't think that this game is more niche than Serpent in the Staglands.

Well SiTS had actual good art, pixels or no pixels. While I don't care about grafix myself, Copper Dreams doesn't really have a very visually appealing art direction IMO. So I can see how this might be hampering it a bit.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Are they going to make the game if the Kickstarter fails?

That's what's they're saying, yes. The game has already been funded from the SitS proceeds, and the KS base goal is a "base game enhancement".

Mustawd

World is ok but character models are not very visually appealing.

...it does have visually appealing art.

When you compare SiTS art it's a lot more visually appealing to me than Copper Dreams. Yes, Copper Dreams has a more gritty and down to earth feel, but people tend to fall into the trap that it must mean a bunch of browns and greys, and whatever. And that in of itself is not that bad. But if the rest of the art direction is equally bland, then it's hard for me to say it's "visually appealing".

For me it's inoffensive, which considering my very very low threshold for grafix, is not saying much. For comparison:

SiTS:

WebImages_b_%2003.png

ss2.png

Compare that to some screenshots of Copper Dreams:

co.jpg

CopperDreamsHUD.png

I know there is a splash of color here and there. And some other screenshots have a bit more color as well. But it's hard not to argue that gray and dark gray are the predominant colors here. Again, it's cool with me. But I wouldn't necessarily call it eye candy. And I'm not talking fidelity of graphics. I'm talking specifically in terms of art direction and the color palette.

And the argument that "it's gritty", doesn't hold water when you compare it to games with similar gritty feeling. For example, see Blade Runner below:

Blade_Runner_gameplay.jpg
blade-runner-game-4.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
01.png

I'm not trying to be overly negative or pile on, nor am I implying they should just ape Blade Runner and call it a day. However, I'm trying to provide some valid and constructive criticism, regardless if they agree with me or not, because I really think it's hurting their campaign right now. You can get away with low fidelity grafix, but you need to make it up with an appealing visual milieu. And right now all I tend to remember is how damn gray the whole thing looks. If they decide to keep it that way, that's cool, but if we're talking about what is affecting the campaign, then I think it's something to consider.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
God, Blade Runner was such a fucking great game, posting those screenshots is like posting images of a long lost love, you motherfucker, why do want to break my heart.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I know there is a splash of color here and there. And some other screenshots have a bit more color as well. But it's hard not to argue that gray and dark gray are the predominant colors here. Again, it's cool with me. But I wouldn't necessarily call it eye candy. And I'm not talking fidelity of graphics. I'm talking specifically in terms of art direction and the color palette.
???

So? Do you count the colors to tell how good something looks or what?

Congrats on comparing the screenshots of some concrete warehouse to some street full of neon anyway.

Mustawd

So? Do you count the colors to tell how good something looks or what?

Let me clarify, as I don't think I was all that clear. I'm saying having a limited color palette is just fine. I mean look at Paper Sorcerer as an example.

But right now the areas tend to look like a muddy mess. Everything is the same washed out tone, and things just don't seem to "read" very well on a visual level. I mentioned adding more color because I think it'd be a bit more visually appealing. However, something as simple as playing with the contrast of the background and/or in-game objects would probably help.

Again, to me the art is completely functional and doesn't offend me in any way. However, it is not something I would call pretty at the moment. And in a kickstarter campaign, pretty matters. That's all I'm saying.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
In terms of aesthetic appeal, I'd rate them: SitS KS footage > SitS, the actual game > Copper Dreams KS footage.

Congrats on comparing the screenshots of some warehouse to some street full of neon anyway.

Maybe a fairer comparison is the first image on the SitS page vs. the first image on the CD page:

vh8oQ1t.gif
whj1dd6.gif

For marketing purposes, I think one is more effective than the other.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yeah, that left one is definitely better. It reminded me of Castlevania SotN.

I still think it looks better than SitS. The enviroment is specially hard on the eyes in that game. Too busy for the resolution, everything looks like a multicoloured spray of pixels.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You guys might be overthinking it. SitS was a no-name indie Kickstarter RPG in 2014, Copper Dreams is a no-name indie Kickstarter RPG in 2016.

(Good job using my arguments about the reception of WL2's graphics, though :smug:)

Mustawd

You guys might be overthinking it. SitS was a no-name indie Kickstarter RPG in 2014, Copper Dreams is a no-name indie Kickstarter RPG in 2016.

No one is saying "Thing A" is hurting the campaign's momentum. There are a variety of reasons. And kickstarter fatigue, like you mentioned, is definitely one of them. As is the fact that nostalgia tends to drive a lot of these things, and Copper Dreams is kind of its own thing. There's no other game that's quite like it, and even some of its inspirations, MSG for example, are not necessarily readily apparent.

SiTS had the good 'ol fantasy, party-based, non-WoW graphics, and isometric view to appeal to a lot of older RPG fans.

Like I said, there are a variety of things. It's not just 2014 v 2016.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
At least it's being made anyway. And that might be a factor too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom