Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Masters of the Broken World (Eador 2)

sher

Educated
Finally got around to really start playing this now that my exams are ended, and I'm wondering whether I missed something obvious. My healers' "mending" ability is grayed out (which it wasn't before) meaning my healer is suddenly dead weight in my roster. Why is this?

Latest patch it seems :D And not only healing ability :)

Multi-headed Cow

That should be quickfixed already. If you're on Steam at least, if you're on GoG then I have no idea.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In Genesis, the problem with AI aggression was not the same : it was that it forgot every other turn that it got
Nothing at all, it was just wishful thinking I suppose that I was talking about broken AI in Genesis not in MotBW. Clearly I was not :)

Ah, I was referring to Galdred's post, not yours. It seemed like he was saying the AI in Genesis was broken as well. Sorry about the confusion. :hug:

Oh, my bad :) Genesis AI is VERY aggressive and it is its weakness when you know how to exploit it. Usually it always declares war if you're close and it has no other war at the moment. It only asks for peace if things are bad for it (massive provinces losses, other masters also declared war etc.) or war was too long. AI has very clear logic in declaring wars/asking for peace.

If you like challenge then try Genesis at Expert level (normal difficulty) since you know the basics.

That was my point : Genesis AI was sometimes really too aggressive for its own good, and started attacking again very soon after having been crushed (and having begged for peace). Its thinking was along the lines of : If attacking with these armies and heroes against him failed the first 10 times, there is no reason why I should not work on the 11th time.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So I restarded the game now after I got my bearings, and suddenly I can't beat first Stronghold fight in the tutorial. Have I waited too long or something? It's literally impossible to win even with my complete army on full HP. I had no problems last time as far as I recall.

sher

Educated
I've found one good video to learn how to play. It's for Genesis but ideas should be identical. It's not flawless but very good and shows what kind of thinking and tactical combat this game encourages.

Eador - Genesis. Mage with swordsmen and healer in swamps. Turns 1-30.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf8mUBxiG_I&feature=youtu.be

P.S. Without Necromancy.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Dunno if that was directed at me. I'm getting quite proficient if I do say so myself. I just didn't understand why the tut battle had changed, but I figured it out.

This game is horrifyingly addictive.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What exactly happened, boss? Different archers, screwed up siege, what?

I rushed through the tut so I didn't level up or buy more men because I thought the tutorial was auto-win. The Swordmen where insanely tanky without any tactical wiggle-room, nearly unkillable. Leveled up a bit and bought some troops and got through the fight no problem.

sher

Educated
Dunno if that was directed at me. I'm getting quite proficient if I do say so myself. I just didn't understand why the tut battle had changed, but I figured it out.

This game is horrifyingly addictive.

No, it's just good video with great use of all cheap spells when it's right, defeating tough sites with small group of naked mage and his 3 companions, solo with 0-level second hero warrior and that kind of stuff. And showing that random T3 spell Mass Curse can lead to epic wins.

Oh, and also it's a good "answer" to nonsense about "clone of this and that", HoMM especially.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I recently cranked difficulty up to Expert, and I'm having some difficulty with my opening. Seems like your starting units can't really defeat many of the surrounding provinces, and building units that can costs so much you'll be in negative gold. Naturally, first bad random event and you're toast.

What am I doing wrong here? What's your usual opening on expert?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I recently cranked difficulty up to Expert, and I'm having some difficulty with my opening. Seems like your starting units can't really defeat many of the surrounding provinces, and building units that can costs so much you'll be in negative gold. Naturally, first bad random event and you're toast.

What am I doing wrong here? What's your usual opening on expert?
It's been a long time ago, but I mostly avoided spending money on units, and only used cheap fodder and did most of the fighting with my warrior hero. That and knowing not to start a battle you won't win. I guess getting lucky on items found helped tremendously too (I mostly played skirmishes though, didn't spend much time with the campaign).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Oh, I forgot to mention I was trying to scrape by with a commander, which doesn't make things easier :P

(so I can't rely on my hero)

Taking a couple of quick territories basically throwing away units, and then building up enough cash for very strong units, seems to have worked for now. Now in minus upkeep but with a strong team.

DakaSha

Arcane
You need to use/abuse the combat system which is, contrary to what moron Skyway was saying, pretty involved. Use the stamina mechanic to your advanatge and you cna beat much stronger armies then you may initially think.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You need to use/abuse the combat system which is, contrary to what moron Skyway was saying, pretty involved. Use the stamina mechanic to your advanatge and you cna beat much stronger armies then you may initially think.

It's funny: I tabbed out to read this exactly after beating a stronger Orc army by exhausting it! First time I really got that working, was awesome.

DakaSha

Arcane
Yes the combat is pretty cool. Of course the AI isn't smart enough to really make it as cool as could be, but at least its better than just blindly using numbers to win

Misconnected

Savant
It's funny: I tabbed out to read this exactly after beating a stronger Orc army by exhausting it! First time I really got that working, was awesome.

Missile, movement, morale and resistance damage are also going to be key to winning. It's really the difference between expert & lower; fights you can't just brute-force are no longer avoidable, no matter how quick you are. Also keep in mind you can bait enemies to split up, because you'll often need to. Deploying as a corner blob is often not the way to go.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Deploying as a corner blob is often not the way to go.

Nah, figured this out pretty fast. your men won't be able to first-strike swarm the enemy in that case.

sher

Educated
Oh, I forgot to mention I was trying to scrape by with a commander, which doesn't make things easier :P

(so I can't rely on my hero)

It's not true. Commander is not "helpless" he's just not warrior and scout with great ability do deal damage directly. You can watch video with start with the mage who's even less damage dealer than commander, has no army bonuses and has no high command to field larger army.

Commander is not an easy start hero for beginners, but he's quite viable if you know how to play him right.

Misconnected

Savant
Commander is not an easy start hero for beginners, but he's quite viable if you know how to play him right.

IMO he's viable on shards with durability issues and on shards that aren't small or tiny. Just like the wizzer is on swampy and/or normal+ sized shards. The commander can become very powerful but he certainly doesn't start out that way - he's arguably the weakest of the bunch when you hire him. What eventually makes him kick-ass, is his army size, his troop buffing abilities, and that he's a pretty decent caster. But that requires levels and a strong economy.

Generally it's a good idea to take shards as quickly as possible. I'd strongly suggest keeping that in mind when hiring heroes, if you don't want to make things more difficult than they have to be.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Wizard gets the awesome early spells that may well change the course of battle, like sleep and web. Commander can start a nice ranged based army but needs a lot of gold to begin and provinces that provide income. Never did like commanders really, their best skill is extra slot for higher tier units...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom