Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Masters of the Broken World (Eador 2)

Morkar Left

mondblut
Ah, thanks. That sounds very interesting. I already like the way units are handled there. Can you tell a bit about the economics? Have buildings maintenance costs and are the surroundings important? (taxes, defense, mines etc.)

mondblut

Arcane
Ah, thanks. That sounds very interesting. I already like the way units are handled there. Can you tell a bit about the economics? Have buildings maintenance costs and are the surroundings important? (taxes, defense, mines etc.)

No maintenance costs IIRC. The expenses go to unit upkeep, guards (a wide assortment of immobile AI-controlled armies you may hire or otherwise acquire to protect your provinces), and corruption.

The surroundings are naturally important as they provide you with taxes and magic gems (the resource spent on spellcasting). Most of the buildings you may construct there affect one of these, either adding directly to the income, or improving the population mood/growth rate, which ultimately results in more taxes. Mines, for example, is one of the buildings that can be built in hilly provinces to boost income. Defense is mostly handled by the guards I just mentioned, but you could also spend a building slot on a fortification building to recruit some garrison troops of your own.

Angthoron

Arcane
This does sound very interesting indeed.

Just one thing I was wondering, with so many buildings to build, how meaningful are they? Are they adding important elements when they're added, or are they more along the lines of +% recruits/month or +2 to visiting hero's stats like many of the HoMM extra buildings?

Are some of the buildings upgradeable, and if so, is the total number including the upgrades, or is it only the base buildings that are counted?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Boys why don't you try original? Pirate it, survive Russian with dictionary, be happy. Then bitch about 3D version being worse than the original. (And compare this to Disciples when switched from 2D to 3D.)

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The former. A lot of text (I mean in over a megabyte range) and a niche game do not bode well together for localizations.

But aren't you a hardcore Soviet that worked on gaems? What's stopping you from doing a translation ala Wesp and going all crazy?

Soviet or not, I am still a dirty capitalist :smug:

This did give me an idea for a certain suggestion though...

details about he game.

All this stuff sounds damn good. Fucking Russians. What the fuck is 1C doing releasing 10th rate crap in the west(yes they release fine stuff too) while leaving such things to rot? I'd even suffer through the wacky translation if I at least knew what the fucking icons were for.

Shame. Shame too that fucking Pathologic never got a decent translation either. God knows what other Backward language games I've missed out on.

This game obviously got the pretty treatment in the hope that it sells in the west. I'd say the actual interface wouldn't be all that different from the first game.

But for Amerikwa the first should look more appealing with its colorfulness. The pale colors of the sequel are more suitable for Europeans.

True, but it also looks 'old' I guess, HOMM3 old...

Boys why don't you try original? Pirate it, survive Russian with dictionary, be happy. Then bitch about 3D version being worse than the original. (And compare this to Disciples when switched from 2D to 3D.)

Because I'm a lazy cunt.

EDIT: Fuck it, I did what you suggested. Now to see if I can muddle through it.

mondblut

Arcane
Just one thing I was wondering, with so many buildings to build, how meaningful are they? Are they adding important elements when they're added, or are they more along the lines of +% recruits/month or +2 to visiting hero's stats like many of the HoMM extra buildings?

Are some of the buildings upgradeable, and if so, is the total number including the upgrades, or is it only the base buildings that are counted?

Well, that depends on a definition of "upgrade" :D Like, there are 6 1st tier magic schools and 7 entry level item shops (ok, there are a couple more, but they stand apart from the rest) of both of which you can build 4. Later on, you can build up to 3 of them to 2nd tier, then up to 2 to 3rd tier, each new construct adding further level of spells and better items respectively. I don't know if a higher tier bulding replaces the lesser one on the city display or exists alongside it, but that's purely cosmetic.

As for the purpose of the buildings, only a tiny minority of them are the basic "+x gold" type. The purpose of most buildings is providing specific units, spells or items for sale, unlocking new provincial buildings and guards, permitting harvesting of special strategic resources necessary for construction of most buildings and units (think Civ3). And naturally, they are combined into an intricate web of prerequisites and codependencies which could make the Civilization's research tree envious.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Read a big-ass preview of it in the local gaming rag awhile ago and thought it looked like it has potential. Must say that the artstyle of the original looks absolutely fantastic to me though and much nicer than the new 3d look. Then again, I'm a nostalgic.

Hope this will turn out right. MoM could use some competition for best fantasy strategy game after all this time.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Battle map graphics was atrocious. Trash have you tried it? I play games in english only, so I just tried it few battles, city management and some strategy part, then I decided to wait for fan patch or an English release.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Nah, looked at a few videos and a lot of screenshots and enjoyed the art style. Do hope Mondblut's little comment about getting an idea means they'll try and get modders to translate or even include the game translated and all into the package like C1 did with Space Rangers 1&2.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I heard translation would require to have source files, as some stuff is hardcoded and people who tried to translate it were, 1. inept, 2. willing to hack it but still unable to get hands on all text. So I doubt there would be fan translation.

Now the question is would the new graphics be a nice as:
xhujg.jpg

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just tried it. It really seems like a good game, I don't mind the battle graphics of non-animated sprites unlike Raghar, and the game looks even better than the screenshots in action, with real character. A lot of options and depth it seems but playing without knowing what the walls of text are about is not really worth it, even as it is possible to work out the basic mechanics and what's good for what, without knowing anything more. Just too tedious to use a dictionary for anything more than the basics. Damn...

I just tried it. It really seems like a good game, I don't mind the battle graphics of non-animated sprites unlike Raghar, and the game looks even better than the screenshots in action, with real character. A lot of options and depth it seems but playing without knowing what the walls of text are about is not really worth it, even as it is possible to work out the basic mechanics and what's good for what, without knowing anything more. Just too tedious to use a dictionary for anything more than the basics. Damn...

Let's motivate some of the local modder bros to translate the original to english. :smug:

mondblut

Arcane
Whoa, over 1 mb of text? Thats a lot. Is it all story?

Story, conversations with competitors, ingame text such as unit descriptions, and a lot, a lot of random events.

Raghar, what is that game? Looks pretty nice if I close the top left corner with my palm :lol:

Running Fox

Educated
Queued
Tried the 2009 game.
Software mouse and slowass scrolling killed it for me. HoMM in a different dress.
Whose fucking retarded idea was it to use software mouse...
No full screen either...

Combat is HoMM-like but where units have health instead of a number. So focusing on keeping one unit alive is important.
Since units dont lose attack power by losing health, things like "first strike" are important. This is interesting because there is no queue on your turn.
You can chose any unit to act first. Makes the game easier, imo.
Cant disable animation in combat, only make it rather fast, not fast enough for me.

Magic is vancian magic that eats your crystal reserves too. You can exchange spells only in Cities with magic buildings like libraries or by reading a scroll.

You can hire multiple heroes with classes, with restricted items.
Level ups are like in HoMM.

The AI is as you expect it to be...

In the campaign, bunch of tldr, uninteresting fluff dialog about the shit I dont give a crap about, like what mythologies they copied from to create their Void world...

If there were an option to enable hardware mouse and disable animation, it would be a mediocre time-waster.

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
So many HOMM clones and no Master Magic clones wtf. Eador has one game mechanic that puts it head and shoulders above HOMM : no unit growth limits. You can actually pick what units to buy for the army. The strategy is not in minutia.
"Software mouse and slowass scrolling killed it for me." no problem for me

mondblut

Arcane
Tried the 2009 game.
No full screen either...

"eador.exe f"

aka "fullscreen.bat"

Since units dont lose attack power by losing health, things like "first strike" are important.

Uh, units do lose attack power when hurt. Unless they have an "impervious to pain" ability like undead, or are gone berserker.

Cant disable animation in combat, only make it rather fast, not fast enough for me.

IIRC faster animation settings did sped up in the patches. When it was initially released, I too bugged the original developer on the forums that "fast" should mean fast. It got acceptable later.

Imperium

Novice
Hey guys! I got some updates for you.

We finally launched our new official site where you'll be able to find latest media and information on the game.

And we made a little gameplay trailer. It's available on Gametrailers and on YouTube. What do you think about it?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
My GK 107 is not out yet. I seen cheap quality 560 only half year used, no passive. However it uses 220 W. I heard something about double performance in Kepler. On then other hand this card has only 1GB RAM. Now last few days I'm running in circles.

That trailer looked like that ogre in Majesty 2 trailer. Also that horse looked like it limped because of some disease.

Man those are some really nice screenshots on official site. Would love to read more about gameplay because your trailer while pretty didn't quite deliver any actual info on it. BTW what kind of price tag can we expect?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom