Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Master of Orion Remake ? :O

Anyone play Starbase: Orion on iOs? GREAT Moo ripoff, does get a little boring in single player once you figure it all out, but multiplayer is great. Highly worth the purchase if you're looking for something to do on the toilet.

ED-209

Educated
22nF5d3lIuM.jpg

Buff Argonians from Space Forced Me Gay

Currently ranked #1 on Amazon and Skyrim Nexus.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Humanoid aliens were useful in sci-fi shows because they had to be played by actors before CGI. Why does every alien has 2 arms and 2 legs now?
775725_161392494010025_1331630327_o.jpg

because they want to be different from M.O.R.E. (god I hate this name) :)

Last edited:

Inspectah

Savant
Humanoid aliens were useful in sci-fi shows because they had to be played by actors before CGI. Why does every alien has 2 arms and 2 legs now?
I remember reading somewhere an interview with Arthur C. Clarke where he said that he and Kubrick went around asking scientists about that when writing 2001, and that the scientists ended up separated in two groups, those that figured most advanced aliens would look humanoid since there is no better anatomy, and those that found that idea stupid

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
The shape of an organism is dictated primarily by the intensity of gravity of the planet and it's atmospherical conditions.
I would say still some general rules may apply like not having your anus above your head or not having limbs unable to efficiently manipulate the environment.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sakkra look ok, Alkari not so much, where da latexed alium babes at tho???

And seriously, MoO aliens were never alien or even imaginative. Rock people, rat people, brainiacs, space babes, space birds, space lizards, space fish. Doesn't matter if the game is solid.

...most advanced aliens would look humanoid since there is no better anatomy...

Not doubting you, but really? Our body design kind of sucks. Yea, we've got opposable thumbs, but our spines are pretty shitty, we aren't very flexible, and we're pretty fragile. This is probably because we're only a few million years old, advanced aliens could have been where we are now, evolutionarily speaking, millions of years ago.

Inspectah

Savant
...most advanced aliens would look humanoid since there is no better anatomy...

Not doubting you, but really? Our body design kind of sucks. Yea, we've got opposable thumbs, but our spines are pretty shitty, we aren't very flexible, and we're pretty fragile. This is probably because we're only a few million years old, advanced aliens could have been where we are now, evolutionarily speaking, millions of years ago.

Yeah, I myself agree with the Carl Sagan idea that it's impossible to even imagine what real aliens look like, since they evolved with different limitations than we did. So their bodies could just be incomprehensible to us humans

Jackalope

Arcane
What's the point of this? We all know aliens probably don't look like cat people or giant lizards... In fact most aliens probably look like tiny organisms that live somewhere on an icy moon in the middle of nowhere.

But what about the aliens in Star Wars, Wing Commander, Star Trek or anything like that? I have no problem with the races in those, probably won't have a problem with the ones in this game.

As for the design on the aliens... I think it's ok. That birdman is a kinda fugly, but I do love the cats and the bears.

Now, I dunno how this game is going to end up. Gameplay may be complete crap. But it might end up being a nice little game. We'd see...

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Did someone already link to coverage of the recent Cambridge paleontologist's book Runes of Evolution,* which posits that aliens would look like humans? Here's are a couple articles: [1] [2]

(* What a self-discrediting tile, unless it's deliberately New Age mumbojumbo.)

Inspectah

Savant
Did someone already link to coverage of the recent Cambridge paleontologist's book Runes of Evolution,* which posits that aliens would look like humans? Here's are a couple articles: [1] [2]

(* What a self-discrediting tile, unless it's deliberately New Age mumbojumbo.)

That's really interesting, even if I don't really like that whole "limited evolution" thing.
I've actually been trying to track that book down, but so far haven't found it in my usual bookstores
And the title just sounds kinda pretentious

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
from that last screenshot I can see from a mile that this game has no soul. :)

Master of Orion II had a beautiful city buildings screen, animated land invasions, short cutscenes when colonizing planets, beautiful 2D portraits of colony/ship leaders and planet backgrounds etc.
This is some generic shit

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Why we won't see another Master of Orion:
http://www.garath.net/Sullla/MOO/mooeditorial.html
Felt this was relevant.

That's a very common lament.

He says:
After all, just having the Master of Orion name on the cover doesn't make this a true Master of Orion game. A real sequel would need to have the simple planetary slider controls, the variable tech tree, the brilliant racial traits design, the diplomatic system with "enemy of my enemy" gameplay and limited trading opportunities, the defensive-based combat system with those upgradable missile bases... Look, it's not happening. Not in this reboot, and probably not ever again.

I feel the same way, so: http://explorminate4x.com/2015/07/28/java-moo-master-of-orion-qa/

Inf0mercial

Augur
Huh it looks like they took some inspiration from endless space, unsure how to feel about that sure some of the design and HUD was decent but the combat was so soulless that it actively drains me every time i try to go back and play it again.

For reference

iBk1HEvweEmhX.jpg

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Waiting for the announcement of pay2win research or something similar. This is wg.net after all.

Game looks bland and soulless. And it's being made by a studio that has no strategy games under their belt. To say my expactations are low is an understatement. A god damn shame too. There hasn't been any good space 4X'es* since Ascendancy with the AI patch. :(

*Unless you count SMAC. But that all happens planetside, not in spaaaaaace.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom