Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Master of Orion Remake ? :O

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
New article on Politically Correct Gamer:
https://archive.is/dE74m
No tactical combat.
xiJk0LH.gif

ArchAngel

Arcane
WTF? Another idiots making a space 4x game and thinking people don't really play those for tactical battles. Only reason many might not have played them in MoO2 was because it was both broken and too slow there.

Games like Birth of the Federation or Sword of the Stars showed you can have good and fun tactical battles.... AAAAA!

I would even take Endless Space battles over no battles.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
No tactical combat.

He didn't actually say that, only that he saw it wasteful to "deep dive" into tactical combat given what their market research says. I would be very surprised if the MoO reboot came out without any kind of tactical combat, and to be honest the strategic layer is more important.

Absalom

P sure whatevername and Malakal should settle their differences in a MP game of MoO2; to be posted on the playground of course.

Game looks better than expected except for the :balance: bullshit. Game devs should wait until a game actually has a MP scene before devoting effort to it.

:rpgcodex:

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
No tactical combat.

While in the end, that may be true, that's not actually what he said.

He said that "deep diving" and focusing on tactical combat and ship customization is not an efficient use of resources because only 10% of the people used those features.

Still might be the case though.

If they ditch those two features, I'm not buying it.

10%? Where the hell did he pull that number from? I mean, I'm sure there are people that didn't play MoO2 with the tactical combat and ship customisation on, but I'm also pretty sure they are a minority considering how much this added to the game.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
10%? Where the hell did he pull that number from? I mean, I'm sure there are people that didn't play MoO2 with the tactical combat and ship customisation on, but I'm also pretty sure they are a minority considering how much this added to the game.

The more I reread it, the more angry I get.

He probably made it up - like most statistics.

Destroid

Arcane
I'm sure most people turned it on, but isn't tactical combat turned off by default in MoO2?

Also, also this MoO2 talk made me go play it again and I didn't have much fun, definitely have a strong preference for MoO1 at this stage.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I didn't really enjoy the ship building in both games as much as I think I should, but that seems to me that I might be bad at it - it's a bit too freeform but with no assistance whatsoever in-game on what the optimal builds are, so you gotta go online to fan forums and scavenge all their ship plans and basic concepts like e.g tiny Laser ships, medium Missile boats, Large lasers etc.

Same with its combat.

That being said, having tactical combat + ship-building feels somewhat tied in the series identity so the better option would be to make it better rather than removing them, but I don't have any idea how to achieve that.

Destroid

Arcane
Some games have used more restricted 'slotting' systems (sword of the stars) or hard counters (galciv2). I'm not a fan of either, although I agree that the freeform soft counter system in MoO does leave you reaching for a spreadsheet if you want to actually optimise.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have more faith in M.O.R.E. even if now looks cheap as hell than this remake

ArchAngel

Arcane
I have more faith in M.O.R.E. even if now looks cheap as hell than this remake
Well MORE seems to be in endless development hell and it is progressing super slowly. The new MoO will probably be released before.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Even in multiplayer, most people do play the tactical battles. The thing is MOO was designed/balanced with the tactical battles in mind, otherwise, many research options make little sense.
Creative is a waste of 8 racial points. I didn't play multiplayer much, but if I remember, the consensus was not to take it (while unification + tolerant was considered broken).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom