Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect 1/2: Under-rated or shit?

Grimlorn

Arcane
You do? But it's so cliche, in a way. Praise a shit game and/or developer to high heaven and sit back and watch the shit storm. It seems so yesterday, you know? No imagination, no effort. Sad, really.
Nothing is ever good enough for a woman.

Sabriana

Learned
That's not quite true, Grimlorn. There are some prime troll-threads stickied in Retardoland.The 'You can't get through FO1 without combat' thread for example is making me laugh even thinking about it.

Many, many women have to accept the 'meh, good for what it is, and I guess it won't get any better'. That's been going on for centuries.So I guess we're looking for a little bit of class, intuition, and imagination in trolls and RPGs. :lol:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The sad part is ME was very very easy to finish without pissing off a lot of people. I'm not saying it would elevate it to a realm of Codex Classics, but it had its B-Movie charms.
All this higher level of philosophical shit don't fly when you spent most of the game laughing to inserted memes and blowing alien heads with a shotgun.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
In ME3 citadel is a reaper god, isn't it?

It houses their control AI I guess, from the third game. In ME1 it was a portal to bring them in from outside the galaxy, which Shepard prevented. Then they come in on their own petrol which takes however many years between ME1 and ME3 I guess. Why they're smaller and easier to kill in ME3 is anyone's guess, I suppose the one in ME1 was a daddy reaper or some stupid shit.

ME1 is the only one with a good story, ME2 and ME3 failed to capitalize either because Bioware are shit at stories or because EA rushed the sequels, your choice.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You do? But it's so cliche, in a way. Praise a shit game and/or developer to high heaven and sit back and watch the shit storm. It seems so yesterday, you know? No imagination, no effort. Sad, really.
Nothing is ever good enough for a Codexer.

Fixed.
Because it's true. Things being good for what they are is not fucking good enough.

Papa Môlé

Arcane

I think it's not too bad precisely because it doesn't sound particularly inflammatory or outrageous. It sounds quite sincere and almost exactly what you would hear, word for word, on an average video game forum or youtube comment. The only thing that it makes it suspect is context, that is, being posted here on RPGCodex. The troll wants us to believe that it simply stumbled on this site and made that post without happening to notice any of the content here. That's more of a meta-textual error though I think. There isn't anything in the text itself that strikes me as suspicious. If the troll managed to make a Codexer view it indirectly, by say somehow redirecting us somewhere else under some sort of pretense, it would have succeeded as the Codexer no doubt would have in that instance believed it to be real and either become further enraged or depressed at the state of modern video gaming, even if but for a moment.

LizardKing

Scholar
I would say anything by Bioware is over-rated and shit.
Awesome buttons, lame romances.. *sigh*
When a game is supposed to be story-driven, the developers should at least put some thought in writing.
Sailing is not like sex.

pistletoe

Educated
I like both ME1 and ME2. Played the hell out of them. ME1 was very special for the time - a space opera RPG. But tastes change, and now it's easy for me to see the cracks, the lazy attempts at C&C in Bioware's games. The cliche writing and blatant borrowing. In the end ME1 is still a classic in my view, but a flawed one.

Derpy

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Contrary to most, I found the setup in the original Mass Effect to be decent, allowing for the possibility of some really interesting developments later on in the series. I found Sovereign's dialogue enigmatic and his motives inscrutable in a way that created tension and provoked questions -- an excellent opening to what could have been a really interesting three-part tale. Under that lens, ME1 was great and opened up the possibility of future greatness for the series. Then ME2 happened...

Anyone with a discerning eye for narrative, story and lore can easily see how ME2 introduces a myriad of retcons and inconsistencies throughout not just the story, but even the game mechanics themselves (reloading weapons?). And while any sci-fi or fantasy storyline requires you to suspend your disbelief and let a few inexplicable things and plotholes slip by, ME2 was riddled with so many that it simply became impossible to ignore. While the first game felt like the story writers painstakenly took their time so their lore made sense, ME2 felt like a different set of writers got their hands on the lore and lazily created or outright changed things along the way. Overall ME2 felt like a holding pattern until ME3 could start, or just an excuse to introduce new people to the story without any regard whatsoever for the overall story arc.

pistletoe

Educated
There was a different lead writer for ME2, and it showed. Lore and consistency was no longer a priority. Bioware has no reverence for being consistent. Anymore it's just dating sim crap anyway.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The 'dating' and 'romance' part of BIo games is less than 1% of everything. LMFAO

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Contrary to most, I found the setup in the original Mass Effect to be decent, allowing for the possibility of some really interesting developments later on in the series. I found Sovereign's dialogue enigmatic and his motives inscrutable in a way that created tension and provoked questions -- an excellent opening to what could have been a really interesting three-part tale. Under that lens, ME1 was great and opened up the possibility of future greatness for the series. Then ME2 happened...

I don't think that's "contrary to most" dude. Pretty much everyone says that.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Contrary to most, I found the setup in the original Mass Effect to be decent, allowing for the possibility of some really interesting developments later on in the series. I found Sovereign's dialogue enigmatic and his motives inscrutable in a way that created tension and provoked questions -- an excellent opening to what could have been a really interesting three-part tale. Under that lens, ME1 was great and opened up the possibility of future greatness for the series.
I agree.
I really enjoyed ME1 because of that, shitty gameplay aside.

Then ME2 happened...
I just don't know what went wrong

the first ass effect was crap, drowned in even more filler than dragon age and with the worst inventory interface ever. yet it was a very interesting beginning, a platform on which a decent game could be built.
of course bioware never cared to build a decent game, instead we got even more popamole.
a shame, a real shame.
well, at least we got wrex, mordin and GARRUS.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Man, shit, fuck, oh man.

I didn't know female sheperd's lines were so fucking retarded (male's were too, but come fucking on with her). Not to mention her voice actress.

Riel

Arcane
Imo they are neither, they are just decent shooters to sink iddle time. Actually ME3 is the same, problem comes when you expect the series to actually be more than another vanal entertainment, and you actually expect something worth remembering, then it's a total failure.

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist
It's a brilliant trilogy.

It's coming out in trilogy form in the next couple weeks.

It's really easy to purchase, as it's all in one case.

1+1+1 = 3

And 3 = go play it, and make up your own mind.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Man, shit, fuck, oh man.

I didn't know female sheperd's lines were so fucking retarded (male's were too, but come fucking on with her). Not to mention her voice actress.
Most of their lines are identical, i.e. shit. Jennifer Hale is a good actress though, in the sense that at least she can put some hints of character into Shepard, even though it's probably not in the voice directions at all. Mark Meer just speaks in a cold, emotionless monotone the entire game.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
To be fair, Hale is an industry vet with something like 250 voice roles under her belt, while Meer had pretty much no work before ME1.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Meer did VO on Baldur's Gate (and II) IIRC
According to IMDB, he voiced Cyric. Cryic who had, what, 2 lines of spoken dialog? All his other roles before ME1 are of that caliber. Actually, seeing him show up over and over in Bioware titles tells me he's probably friends with someone higher up in the company.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah, he had not done anything as substantial as Hale before ME1 but just pointing out he did do some stuff however small.

And yeah, I think he might be friends with some at Bio.... at the time. Plus he is hotter than hell. <3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom