Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect 1/2: Under-rated or shit?

lexical

Educated
From browsing these forums, I understand Mass Effect is generally regarded as a hilariously bad series and not real RPGs.

But unlike for Skyrim, I wasn't able to find people seriously discussing what they thought was wrong with the games. I'm just sorta puzzled, as it reminds me a lot of BG2, KotOR 1 and 2, and even of VtMB. Which are generally regarded as good games here. So I kinda feel like I'm missing something.

Questions: Am I missing something? Is there some flaw I've yet to discover/criticize? And if I'm wrong: If ME doesn't remind you of those games, are there any modern games that seem closer to BG/KotOR/VtMB than ME?

My opinions on ME1/2, and similarities I see:

Graphics: To me, it looks like KotOR + VtMB. The graphics/animations aren't amazing, but they're less blocky and craptacular than the Bioware graphics of KotOR and NWN 2 days.

Quests/Story: Sure, the plot is classic Bioware "save the world," not anything as interesting as PS:T or VtMB, but I wouldn't say it's any worse than the plots of KotOR or either BG game. Obviously one shouldn't turn to any Bioware game for deep philosophical thoughts or a mind-blowing story. But at least they seem to have given up on the pathetic, half-assed plot twist attempts of BG and KotOR and JE and NWN that anyone with half a brain saw coming. (You know, how any character upheld as a pure paragon of virtue or wisdom in the beginning of the game would inevitably be evil?) The quests, as well, seem to be on par with the quests of BG and KotOR, though not as exciting as some VtMB quests.

Choices/Roleplaying: Again, these seem on par with BG and KotOR. People talk about ME having been dumbed down, but I'm really not seeing a big difference. ME is just using a different dialogue format. But the majority of dialogue options in BG or KotOR for example, would essentially be barter/ask question/express one of maybe 3 opinions. Which are all accounted for in ME 1/2. Alignment system is basically identical to KotOR's system. A decent number of player choices seem to be imported from each game to the next. (At least as many as were imported from BG1 to BG2 or from KotOR1 to KotOR2.)

Squad Members: Similar to your squad from BG or KotOR. Personally, I found the characters far less annoying than the ones from BG and from KotOR 1, about equal to the characters from KotOR 2.

Optional Romance: Still there. Still hilarious. Still optional, thank god. Nothing different from BG2/KotOR. Except I think there was actually less total romance dialogue in ME than BG2 or KotOR. Seemed more like the casual hookups in VtMB, less of Anomen/Carth/Sky practically humping my PC every time I let the dude open his mouth.

Fighting: Personally, it felt a lot like VtMB to me, except with better guns. Felt a lot like that game when using cover, stealth, or invisibility. I liked it better than combat of KotOR. Turn-based works for many things but not guns (IMO.)

Inventory: Sure, it's been streamlined compared to BG or KotOR. But it's a lot less streamlined than VtMB.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
We already had these discussions when the games came out. I don't think opinions have changed that much.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Welcome to the Codex. I hope you will enjo....
:mob:

FUCK YOU for saying that ME1/2 is on the same level as BG2.

Graphics: To me, it looks like KotOR + VtMB. The graphics/animations aren't amazing, but they're less blocky and craptacular than the Bioware graphics of KotOR and NWN 2 days.
Yeah, so. A new game looks better than an old game? Oh the horror...

Quests/Story: Sure, the plot is classic Bioware "save the world," not anything as interesting as PS:T or VtMB, but I wouldn't say it's any worse than the plots of KotOR or either BG game. Obviously one shouldn't turn to any Bioware game for deep philosophical thoughts or a mind-blowing story. But at least they seem to have given up on the pathetic, half-assed plot twist attempts of BG and KotOR and JE and NWN that anyone with half a brain saw coming. (You know, how any character upheld as a pure paragon of virtue or wisdom in the beginning of the game would inevitably be evil?) The quests, as well, seem to be on par with the quests of BG and KotOR, though not as exciting as some VtMB quests.
The main story is similar, but BG2 (even BG) had more interesting quests. ME is pure grindfest. Where are the clever places like Durlag's tower?
Choices/Roleplaying: Again, these seem on par with BG and KotOR. People talk about ME having been dumbed down, but I'm really not seeing a big difference. ME is just using a different dialogue format. But the majority of dialogue options in BG or KotOR for example, would essentially be barter/ask question/express one of maybe 3 opinions. Which are all accounted for in ME 1/2. Alignment system is basically identical to KotOR's system. A decent number of player choices seem to be imported from each game to the next. (At least as many as were imported from BG1 to BG2 or from KotOR1 to KotOR2.)
This is why we can't have nice things. Even though the dialogue options in BG1-2 were somewhat similar, they added flavour to the story, to the characters. In ME, you only have a Yes-No-Fuck you option. And at least in BG I knew what my character was saying. In ME, sometimes they said a completely different thing, when I chose an option.

Optional Romance: Still there. Still hilarious. Still optional, thank god. Nothing different from BG2/KotOR. Except I think there was actually less total romance dialogue in ME than BG2 or KotOR. Seemed more like the casual hookups in VtMB, less of Anomen/Carth/Sky practically humping my PC every time I let the dude open his mouth.
NO. I haven't even noticed the romance in BG2 for my first two playthroughs. In Mass Effec 1-2 it was pushed into your face.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
OP needs to have a better look at all the Mass Effect threads we had; a lot of people voiced their criticisms.

Mass Effect 1/2: Under-rated or shit?

Neither, they're overrated. Ok games that were elevated to godhood for one reason or another. Good points are overblown, flaws are ignored.

By the way, romances aren't exactly pushed in your face. Yes, characters will make obvious passes on Shepard as long as you are mildly friendly (or pick up on Sheps' intentionally ambiguous flirtations), but if you say you're not interested they'll cut it out. The people saying OMIGAH LIARA WONT LEAVE ME ALONE are in denial.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mass Effect is one of the most bafflingly overrated series of all time. If it actually sold as much as people talked about it, Bioware wouldn't be in so much trouble.

TNO

Augur
I'd guess they're over-rated and mediocre. Cf. my signature.

Black

Arcane
Some Codexers lied to me about me2 being good or at the very least becoming good later in game.
They will pay.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Some Codexers lied to me about me2 being good or at the very least becoming good later in game.
They will pay.
it's rather enjoyable as long as you view it as a somewhat more interactive action movie rather than an alleged crpg.

Black

Arcane
No, you can't just "pick" what you're viewing the game as, it's either good and you enjoy it or not.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
bullshit.
enjoyment depends to a great degree on your own personal expectations, which in turn are tied to what you view the game as and can be adjusted with a bit of effort, especially before you actually start playing.

At least Mass Effect 2 is somewhat playable - unbearable combat mechanics with homogenous overheating weapons that do not differ in absolutely any way are in some degree gone, and companions like Mordin Solus are slight improvement over asinine characters like Liara.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
Looking for superlatives of ME2 is like trying to find something nice in a pile of steaming turd. The same applies for entire ME serie, but ME2 is the worst, it doesn't have any redeeming values.

This thread belongs to retardo.

racofer

Thread Incliner
2gw6zig.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom