Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect 1/2: Under-rated or shit?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
The kicker about ME3 is that it was supposed to have been released months earlier(that would have been glorious).
It's a glorious kicker. I can't even begin to imagine what the state of the game would've been if they hadn't delayed it.

It probably would've been a lot less worse.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It probably would've been a lot less worse.
what3d.gif

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I dunno, one of the biggest problems I have with ME3 was that the entire thing just felt...tired. Like Bioware themselves stopped caring about maintaining quality. Not even going into the endings, huge bits of the story just felt sloppy and lazy, character introductions in particular. In ME1 and 2, we're given plenty of buildup to the introduction of Garrus. In the first game, we're shown his investigation into Saren and watch his marksmanship when we help him in a firefight. In ME2, there's an entire mission dedicated to showing how he's kicking the shit out of organized crime so badly that all the crime syndicates of a space station have to band together just to kill him. In ME3, he just kinda enters the scene stage right and goes "Hi Shepard".

But of course they're more than happy to put more effort into sculpting Jessica Chobot's polygonal ass and inflated cheeks than designing Tali's face.

Ah Chobot, I completely removed her from the game by just saying , no. No thanks.
I'm glad they gave me that option at the very least.

But yes, I do agree some of the characters were considered as 'already established' and needed no introduction in ME3. But what makes me slightly glad for Garrus is that he remains untouched by the Derp Paint of some characters. Case in point, Ashley/Kaidan. Good god. What happened to these two? They're forced into a mandatory coma after gunfight scene - and then only to return as a retard working for an obviously stupid mastermind. That was right after Tuchanka, the best moment of the game. And there was no recovering the story right after that. Freefalling all the way culminating into a ending that tries to be too smart when all Shepard got to do , is press a red button to blow up the reapers.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Kaidan/Ashley's "coup" role was even dumber in the leaked script, in that they were convinced by Kai Leng to be against Shepard(LOL).
:retarded:indeed.
If they wanted to make the game more interesting, they could've made BETRAYAL mode interesting.
We barely seen any plausible usage of the Reaper indoctrination. Udina was utter garbage.
Aside from side quest where Shepard simply blasted the indoctrinated retards, there was barely a touch of corruption with the people he knew and worked with.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Kaidan/Ashley's "coup" role was even dumber in the leaked script, in that they were convinced by Kai Leng to be against Shepard(LOL).
Oh god, I don't even want to think about Kai Leng. It's like one of the bosses from DXHR got drunk and wandered into the wrong game.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I'm more annoyed with the fact that the game expects me to believe that the man who had trouble beating a terminally ill lung cancer patient is somehow better than Shepard at fighting.

Deleted member 7219

Ah Chobot, I completely removed her from the game by just saying , no. No thanks.
I'm glad they gave me that option at the very least.

I kept her because I thought War Assets was going to matter.:M

Same. I actually thought having a pro-Alliance/anti-Cerberus propagandist along would be decisive in drumming up support and morale. Hahaha. Just reminds me yet again about how unreactive and shit the ending is.

Ovg

Cipher
Ass Effects 3 is a fuckfest, but ME1 and 2 were good for what they were (ie. non-rpg scifi drama). But they made me realize that we need a separate genre for games and interactive movies. That would be for the best.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Ass Effects 3 is a fuckfest, but ME1 and 2 were good for what they were
First there was "ME1 is good for what it is", now "ME2 is good for what it is" is slipping into the codex.

When ME4 will be out, people will be like "ME3 is good for what it is".

It's a fucking decline inside everyone.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
First there was "ME1 is good for what it is", now "ME2 is good for what it is" is slipping into the codex.

This has been happening since this forum unanimously despised Fallout 2.

Turjan

Arcane

You could equally make the opposite case. There have been enough Codexers that liked the games when they came out. You tend to forget that after the 50th "It is shit"post, even if those were made by only 5 people.

Xor

Arcane

This entire attitude about decline and flip-flopping is stupid, and I think most people know it. And yet I keep seeing it get brought up again and again, mostly by new posters and Skyway.

There is no decline of the Codex, even if opinions do change over time. Just look at Mass Effect 2, for example. My memory isn't perfect, but I remember people generally being much nicer to ME2 when it came out. There were exceptions, of course, but then there's always naysayers here when a popular new game comes out. In that case, I remember most of the debate centering around the more "rpg-like" approach of ME1 and the more action-oriented approach of ME2. Not much of the initial discussion was about the retarded plot, the lack of meaningful conversations, or any of the other deeper problems with the game. As we sit here now, years later, we've had more time to analyze and discuss the game. Any strong feelings of fun or anger have probably faded, and anyone whose opinions have changed since ME2 was released is probably more influenced by critical analysis than bias from emotion. And yet, I don't see much difference between opinions now and when the game was released.

We'll probably have the same lengthy critical discussions about ME3 (I mean, more than we already have), but that doesn't mean everyone will suddenly like it. I doubt you could find more than a handful of Codexers who think unmodded Oblivion was anything but shit. I haven't seen anyone around here suddenly talking about how great Fallout 3 was. Few people will come out and defend Jade Empire, and nobody is defending FOBOS or Arcania. I think ME3 will find itself in that same position. Time will show it for what it was - shit followed by 20 hours of mediocrity overshadowed by a giant mountain of shit.

Baldur's Gate? Icewind Dale?
While I don't know because I wasn't around, I'd bet early Codexers discussed more or less the same merits and flaws with those games that we discuss today. And I seriously doubt the Codex has ever had a unanimous opinion on anything, much less the quality of a game like Fallout 2.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Baldur's Gate? Icewind Dale?
While I don't know because I wasn't around, I'd bet early Codexers discussed more or less the same merits and flaws with those games that we discuss today. And I seriously doubt the Codex has ever had a unanimous opinion on anything, much less the quality of a game like Fallout 2.
Well, I assure you, Mr. Literal, that the predominant opinion was that: 1) Fallout 2 was a rushed cashcow ripoff filled with nonsensical junk that was OMG SO COOL like New Reno, gangsters, magic, aliens, pop culture references, and mutants created by radiation rather than FEV. Among other things. It was hated. 2) Baldur's Gate was a mindless dungeon crawler with bad combat and nothing to do but combat. And 3) ditto for Icewind Dale, but even worse.

Meanwhile, on the modern Codex (full of short-tempered, irrational poser noobs), these games are considered the best games ever made.

So Now You Know.

Xor

Arcane
I should have probably mentioned that I have no respect for your opinion at all based off the few of your posts that I've read, so your stating that something is true won't do anything to convince me. In fact, from what little I have read of the early Codex, I'm convinced that you're either making shit up or have a very bad memory.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Well, that's up to you. Plugging your ears and telling me you don't care sure the fuck doesn't matter to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom