Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mask of the Betrayer, let's play it!

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Erebus said:
I'd be curious to know the consequences of being a worshipper or a priest of Kelemvor in MotB (especially during the discussions with Kaelyn, Myrkul and Kelemvor himself).

I once played the game with a priestess of Ilmater and Kaelyn had a couple of comments about how glad she was to have a colleague with her. (As opposed to the time I played with a spirit shaman and Gann didn't seem to care one bit.)

Yes, good question.

I had started myself with an Assassin that followed Kelemvor, but I found no special dialogs (at least, not until mid-game, when I abandoned the walkthrough).

Would be quite interested if there are any special lines if you pick Kelemvor as deity.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Damn sweet thread man! I reinstalled MotB yesterday after glancing through it. Anyway, Reject_666_6, what PC are you running the game on? Full shadows, full hd resolution, normal mapped terrain... hard to believe there are PCs that can max out NWN2. :D

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Fuck yeah, it lives!

As we left off, our army of epic-level travellers had just defeated Okku's dreaded army of spirits. The protagonist also used his new-found spirit eating ability to devour Okku's soul and render him as nothing more than an empty husk. For the first time, we are able to witness the true power of the spirit eater in action. Now that's all fine and dandy, but the big revelation here, gameplay-wise, is the introduction of the Spirit Metre. As the curse manifests itself as an unstoppable hunger that must be fed, the Spirit Metre translated this into gameplay terms as a time limit that you can increase by devouring more and more spirits or by suppressing the hunger for a short time. There's also a meter underneath that represents craving: the more you devour, the more you need to devour to maintain your energy. The more you suppress, the less you need to devour.

Your spirit energy drops at a very slow rate, getting faster or slower depending on your craving level. When it drops below certain thresholds, you get stat penalties that can't be cured by normal means. Below even lower thresholds, you get constant damage. Close to the bottom, the damage is so large that you'll be dead in less than a minute. If it reaches 0, you die.

From this point on we have a couple of new feats that relate to this mechanic. The most basic is Devour Spirit, which you can use on spirits (basically any ethereal entity in the game, including telthors, elementals and ghosts) to regain some spirit energy. If the target spirit is at 25% health or under, you get a bonus amount of spirit energy equal to the spirit's remaining hit points and also kill the spirit. If you devour more than one spirit per day (in game terms, more than once in between resting) it raises your craving, and you can't use this ability more than ten times per day.

Suppress does just that, suppresses your hunger and restores a small amount of spirit energy wherever you are. If you have spirits around you that could potentially be devoured, but you suppress instead, you get small bonuses to spirit energy. Suppressing reduces craving by a bit. You can't use Suppress on the same day as Devour, and vice versa.

Satiate is a last-ditch ability to use if your spirit energy is very low. It drains a chunk of your experience, potentially lowering your level, in exchange for filling up your metre. You can only use it when you're below a certain threshold.

Outside the usual gameplay, the curse can work in different ways. There are more abilities to unlock through different quests and plot events, and the abilities you have can appear as conversation options in certain situations with interesting results. Our future encounter with the god of the dead can end very differently if I have Eternal Rest or not.
--------------------
Now let's continue with our story. The town population is scared shitless of your curse and this merchant here has a line acknowledging it.
650.jpg

Now, if you might remember, we had a deal with the witches and their side of the bargain was to release Magda after the spirit army was dealt with.
651.jpg

I hate Kazimika. Vadoi is another slavic name, and as someone suggested earlier, this might be because Rashemen is the Eastern Europe of Forgotten Realms - the lesser-developed equivalent of the West.
652.jpg

653.jpg
654.jpg
655.jpg

656.jpg
657.jpg
658.jpg

659.jpg
660.jpg
661.jpg

Looks like the PC has some wit about her.

662.jpg
663.jpg
664.jpg

Brutishness also counts as wit.

665.jpg
666.jpg
667.jpg

668.jpg
669.jpg
670.jpg

Mow Shadow Plane exposition. You already know what's being said here, so yeah...

671.jpg
672.jpg
673.jpg

674.jpg

I won the 64$ question!
675.jpg

676.jpg
677.jpg

678.jpg
679.jpg

The reason Lienna was never seen in Mulsantir is that, you guessed it, she frequented the Shadow Realm all day. If she needed to travel, she could use the portals in the Shadow Veil that we'll come across soon.

Back to the Veil.
680.jpg

681.jpg

682.jpg
683.jpg
684.jpg

685.jpg
686.jpg
687.jpg

That was my blood!
688.jpg
689.jpg

Told ya.
690.jpg
691.jpg

692.jpg

693.jpg

Looks like there's some unresolved sexual tension between these two.

694.jpg

695.jpg

Now we can unlock that door that we couldn't open before.
696.jpg

This room contains 4 portals, Incoming, Outgoing, Storage and Disposal. The first two are for quick-travel because with your curse, every second wasted is a bit of spirit energy lost. You can revisit most locations with the portal.

697.jpg
698.jpg
699.jpg

The Golem here is the operator, but he's not functioning.
700.jpg
701.jpg
702.jpg

703.jpg
704.jpg

By interacting with the Golem, you get a new spirit ability: Mold Spirit. IIRC, this only has two uses in any quests, but its main use is enchanting items with spirit essences.

Now here's how it's done:
705.jpg

706.jpg

707.jpg
708.jpg
709.jpg

---Accessing primary IDE drive--- Welcome to Golem OS!
710.jpg
711.jpg
712.jpg

713.jpg
714.jpg
715.jpg

Three gargoyles appear from the portal behind us. Obviously, they can shed some light as to my predicament here.
716.jpg

717.jpg

This line sets the tone for this whole conversation. Igor's got nothing on this guy.

719.jpg
720.jpg

Then I'd have gutted you like Mike Tyson.
721.jpg
722.jpg
723.jpg

Those guys from NWN2 are dead? This game just keeps getting better and better.
724.jpg
725.jpg
726.jpg

Until the sozzy sequel, of course.
727.jpg
728.jpg
729.jpg

The fearsome one? Could it be...?
730.jpg
731.jpg
732.jpg

The second line here is golden.
733.jpg
734.jpg
735.jpg

After they became gargoyles, they had extensive accent induction classes to sound the part.
736.jpg
737.jpg
738.jpg

More hags? I thought Gann was enough hag for one game...
739.jpg

740.jpg
741.jpg

No comment...
742.jpg
743.jpg

[Perception] Why is the numbering all fucked up in this box?
[Charisma] I chose a wrong line earlier and I realised it only now, because it eliminates this outcome:

744.jpg

Seems they'll give XP to anybody these days...

TO BE CONTINUED!

Reject_666_6

Arcane
fastpunk said:
Damn sweet thread man! I reinstalled MotB yesterday after glancing through it. Anyway, Reject_666_6, what PC are you running the game on? Full shadows, full hd resolution, normal mapped terrain... hard to believe there are PCs that can max out NWN2. :D

It's nothing special, just an 8800 GTS with slightly higher clock speeds, a low-end AMD dual-core and 4 Gb of RAM. It's weak by current standards, but with only console ports coming out these days it runs everything perfectly. Dragon Age actually runs more smoothly than NWN2 on my comp.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I hate Kazimika. Vadoi is another slavic name, and as someone suggested earlier, this might be because Rashemen is the Eastern Europe of Forgotten Realms - the lesser-developed equivalent of the West
Oh, that's quite subtle there. :o Really didn't notice it.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Well, today we have ourselves a short update that precedes an epic one. I decided to finish up with the Shadow Veil Theatre in this bite-sized chunk so I can stuff more important plot points into the next update. But enough of that bullshit, let's continue from where we left off. Music, please! Due to the shortness of this update, you should leave the music playlist there to continue normally, because the next song is combat music and the second half of this is combat.

745.jpg

First things first, in all my playthroughs I've never noticed these chests and scrolls behind the golem. Kaji's skill proves to be enough to disarm and unlock them.

There's also a book here, so let's see if it holds up to Elder Scrolls lore.
746.jpg
747.jpg

Well, it doesn't, but you can't have your cake and eat it.

Safiya also gained a better staff from those chests, so here's a picture of the cast.
748.jpg

749.jpg

750.jpg
751.jpg
752.jpg

753.jpg
754.jpg
755.jpg

756.jpg
757.jpg
758.jpg

I've already explained the doors' functions, so let's cut to the chase and open the second door.

We get assaulted by this golemised form of Usain Bolt.
759.jpg

Combat ensues.
760.jpg

761.jpg

As a reward, we get these golem arms. They may seem useless now, and you may find them useless later too, but they have a use... later. We're going to build the best golem EVAR with them. Believe it!
762.jpg

Now let's open the door leading to the Fire plane.
763.jpg

764.jpg

765.jpg

766.jpg

Man, I love these ridiculously flashy spells. You can tell this is an epic-level game.

767.jpg

Unfortunately, the reward for extinguishing this elemental sucks.
768.jpg

Next update coming ALSO THIS WEEK! FULL SIZE! DAYUMMMM!

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Now let's actually do something with a bit of story significance, the acquisition of One of Many. It's been a while since you've seen cinematic screenshots in this LP, so you probably can't wait. The update itself isn't as long as I imagined it when I wrote the other one, because I've added some more screens and split it up a bit more. You'll probably appreciate this because it means I'll update much more often from now on.

On our way out from the Shadow Veil, Gann decided to talk up Magda with some "play" ideas. Since you're probably sick of the game's music, here's some shit stolen from Satori.

769.jpg

770.jpg
771.jpg
772.jpg

773.jpg
774.jpg
775.jpg

776.jpg
777.jpg
778.jpg

As you've probably guessed, Gann wants to inspire a play based on his ego, but it backfires when even Magda can tell that his persona is just a façade for a scared little smurf.

779.jpg

Gann has layers, just like Photoshop.

Now, as you run through the town you'll run across this little non-homosapien in disguise who offers you a proposition you can't refuse.
780.jpg

781.jpg
782.jpg
783.jpg

This is in no way a trap, no sir. It's also actually not a trap if you've devoured Okku, which we did, but yeah...
784.jpg

Ok, now let's go back to the Shadow Realm and find that Furnace we had to finish with.
785.jpg

The Crematorium is where we must go.
786.jpg

I will devour.
787.jpg

788.jpg
789.jpg
790.jpg

791.jpg
792.jpg

793.jpg
794.jpg

795.jpg

797.jpg
798.jpg
799.jpg

You sassin' up a lady?
800.jpg
801.jpg

I think that if you're a good/neutral character and you have Eternal Rest in this situation, you can use it on the Priest instead. Not sure about the results, but it does allow you to get rid of ALL the spirits if you so choose (if you just devour them, all you end up eliminating are the weaker ones, and you still have to fight).

802.jpg

This cannot be! I am invincibl------

In reaction to what you've done to the priest spirit, several ghosts materialise all around you.

803.jpg

Yeesss my brothers, *snarl*, slaaayyy!
804.jpg
805.jpg
806.jpg

807.jpg
808.jpg
809.jpg

810.jpg
811.jpg
812.jpg

Yes, the reason we're even tackling this furnace is to get the key to that big black door that's been keeping Kaelyn out all this time.

Concentrating on the spirit husk of the dead bear god, you will the spirits surrounding you to fill it.
813.jpg

The husk expands and warps, taking on a different, more terrifying shape.
814.jpg

815.jpg

And so, our newest party member is born, the chaotic evil One of Many. For some reason, in my first playthrough I remember Safiya showing up as neutral evil, but now she's always true neutral.

816.jpg

817.jpg

818.jpg

819.jpg

FFS, take off that tin foil clothing!

820.jpg

Just like the Dark Templars after they come out of the Gateway.

th_kaelyn02.jpg
The fiend has vanished!
It's right here. It hasn't moved.
821.jpg

822.jpg

823.jpg

One of Many? What does that mean?
::A thousand tortured souls are bound up in this shell. I am their voice. I am One of Many, Master::
Very well.
::Your clumsy spoken words assault my keen senses. You do not need to speak, Master. As you can hear my thoughts in your mind, so too can I hear yours.::
::How is it that you can understand my language?::

824.jpg

::Join me then.::

825.jpg

826.jpg

I bet she's wondering why, but she's too puzzled to ask.
827.jpg

828.jpg

Just in case you don't know how to use One of Many.
829.jpg

830.jpg

Here's lookin' at you, One.

Now, as a final section of this update, I'll talk to him and see what he has to say. He doesn't have much to say because most of his influence gains and losses take place in conversation with the other characters. He's like a bad conscience, getting happier and happier the more you lie, cheat, etc.
::I have no pretty words to share - if I do, I shall voice them, but only when the time is right, Master.::
::I have questions about you.::

831.jpg

The first option here is a trap, by the way. It leads to an influence check which you can't pass ATM, and if you choose to ask him that, you'll never be able to again, unlike all the other companions here. Choices and Consequences™, bitch!
832.jpg

Because he likes Fallout, duh!

::It is the title I have chosen for my creator and the one who commands me and the Many. Do you prefer to be called by another title?::
::I want you to call me something different.::
::Very well, Master. What shall I call you?::

833.jpg

This is a very interesting implementation of an influence gain/loss. Dark One, Master/Mistress of Evil and another one, I think, grant one-time gains. The goody-goody names grant losses. You can change your name indefinitely with him, but you only get one influence gain and one loss. If you choose all the options, you end up with the same influence.

Obv, I'm a Mistress, and I'm Evil, so...

834.jpg

For the next update, which is scheduled on Wednesday, I'll provide a detailed analysis on One of Many since then he'll actually be interacting with some stuff.

Erebus

Arcane
One of Many is rather useless in combat until you can turn it into a warlock. Of course, combat isn't that challenging in MotB.

Good luck for the rest of the LP !

Silellak

Cipher
Nice stuff. Look forward to seeing more about One of Many, since I was a faggy goody-two-shoes and got Okku instead of him.

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Erebus said:
Of course, combat isn't that challenging in MotB.

This isn't exactly a fair statement.
Combat in MotB can be very challenging IMO, depending on the party configuration and especially depending on your character. But true, it can be very easy as well, for the same reason.

Also, excellent work on the LP, do go on, please.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom