Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mask of the Betrayer, let's play it!

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Reject_666_6 said:
Sorry about the lack of updates, but this week is full of midterms so I don't have time to edit all the screenshots. There should be an update on Saturday.
Don't worry. LPs can take upto three months or more to finish, but by the end of them, you'll be surprised by how you at all managed to finish so much in so little time.

If a massive game like BaK can be covered in 4 months, MotB shouldn't be even nearly as long.

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well, hats off to this LP, would really like to see it through to the end.

Since I'm doing an LP on practically the same game, I know exactly how much time it takes to edit those pictures, and you even take the time to align those dialog boxes to the pixel. :)
Keep up the great work!

About this:
This battle is probably the hardest in the game so far. The second-hardest is the one we fought in the witches' circle in the shadow realm, and the third is against those two Greater Shadows outside the Death God's vault. These three fights are actually harder than the fight with Okku we'll have soon. Moral: the best encounters in this game are optional. Now, I'll leave you with various spell effects.

This really depends on the type of character you play with. If you pick a spellcasting class (I played plain wizard in my first playthrough) the challenge is somewhat different.
For instance, I found the fight with the 3 death knights in the temple much more challenging, not to mention the badger from the lodge.

About the lore/barbarian comment with the witches, it's a nice touch indeed from the devs, but let's keep in mind that given the min-maxing potential of MotB, multiclassed Barbarians are actually rather common, I think.

Balor

Arcane
How could I have missed this LP?
Great stuff, please keep going.

It does seem to keep to the VERY demanding standards set by Scorchy's LP so far.

Coyote

Arcane
I'm fairly certain that that witch calls you a barbarian regardless of your class selection. I recently played through with a fighter/thief and I think I got the same line from her. She's referring to your position in the hierarchy of her homeland, not your character's class.

Anyway, great LP. Moar!

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Coyote said:
I'm fairly certain that that witch calls you a barbarian regardless of your class selection. I recently played through with a fighter/thief and I think I got the same line from her. She's referring to your position in the hierarchy of her homeland, not your character's class.

Anyway, great LP. Moar!

It's the first time I decided to rat Shelvadar out, so I didn't know that. I just saw barbarian and jumped to the obvious conclusion.

deuxhero

Arcane
So, are you going to devour Okku or not? Both One of Many and Okku are good companions, but you aren't a rogue and Kaji sucks for rogue duty.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Devour Okku. He is the worst character of the game.
Absolutely.

Dies quickly in combat.

Opens up only boring and uninteresting quests.

deuxhero

Arcane
I vote to devour, you're evil, and lack a rogue.

Don't devour everything though. Get hunger to minimum ASAP, then use your 1 free devour a day, only going for more when special stuff (like the coven) are to be obtained.

Also, when you reach the hag dungeon, there are 3 options for One of Many to gain the warlock form. Gann's mom, the sleeper and the half-drow in town (only acessable if you save the sleeper). Devour the half-drow after she gives you extra shit for saving the slseper (think the sleeper was her mom). Gann's mom is also an option if a.don't bring Gann (this prevents him from completing his story) b.how low infulance with him.

Also, see if you can devour the shape of cold (or whatever) guys in the furnace/lower levels that give armor the ability to null cold damage at the cost of +50% fire damage, then bind Shape of Fire to the same armor for some 1337 gear.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Deuxhero, the half-drow would have been my target for devouring too. She doesn't have any relevance after she rewards you, so it's all good. I'll keep on the lookout for shapes of cold in the furnace next time I go there. For now, though, all I have is to offer you is this update:

Reject_666_6

Arcane
The FINAL update of Act I. Gather round as we plunge head-first into this dramatically gripping ending to the first chapter of this phantasmagoric magnum opus of Obsidian Entertainment. Seeing as I cut off last time in the middle of some conversations, we'll continue from right there.

We had Kaelyn left over, so let's interrogate her. Seeing as this conversation is very long and there isn't any soundtrack music from this area that's long or appropriate enough, I will have to provide long, atmospheric songs from the real world. Try this.
541.jpg

542.jpg

543.jpg

th_kaelyn02.jpg
My powers are well-served in dealing with the aftermath of a battle, but it would not be wise to seek the counsel of one of the shamans of Rashemen in dealing with this army. They know the spirits, the beast gods of this land, far better than I. If this conflict can be settled without violence, they would know.
So you are from the upper planes?
th_kaelyn02.jpg
I come from the slopes of Celestia. My heritage is evidenced in ym wings - and my eyes.
Your eyes are unusual.
I noticed that... your eyes are like mirrors, which makes them doubly pleasing to me. It allows me to admire my reflection without need for a looking glass.
th_kaelyn02.jpg
I see.
I hope you can, with eyes like that. I'm a lot to take in at once, so feel free to study me at length if you must, I am used to such attention.
You might need to step back to look at Gann - his ego alone can fill a castle.
[Influence Gain: Gann] Such fire in your words, they burn me! Quick, get the priestess to fan me with her wings.
th_kaelyn02.jpg
Are you making light of me?
I would 'never' do such a thing. Although with eyes like yours, do you know what light is?
th_kaelyn02.jpg
You are strange. There is much about your heritage that evidences in your behaviour.
About Gann?
I am curious what this ebony-eyed creature of the slopes of Celestia sees in a humble hagspawn such as I. Pray, priestess, continue.
544.jpg

Very well. I see that your feet find the patterns of dirt and sand beneath them unconfortable, as if you are used to stepping in dreams, not earth. You toss about words like a wind around you, in the hopes that their speed and flurry wil deflect questions and prevent you from being seen for what you are. You are hurt, Gannayev-of-Dreams. And that pain drives you to hurt others, for you have been taught that that is the wheel that turns the world.
You saw that for looking at him?
545.jpg

546.jpg

[Intelligence] So you are blind to colours?
th_kaelyn02.jpg
My grandfather once said it was something my belief had chosen, not my blood. I would not call it blindness, but I see the world differently, yes. My eyes can perceive the spectrum of planes at times, even if the array of colors is lost on them.
I have... walked in the Shadow Plane before, yes.
th_kaelyn02.jpg
Your journey marked you, and I sense an absence within you, as if your heart was removed. Its painhas faded, to be replaced with something new, an affliction... seeping into the open wound. Whatever affliction I sense within you that has filled the wound - it feels larger than the wound itself, as if the wound is merely a door. [Influence Gain: Kaelyn] I do not know if Ilmater's blessings will aid you, but the fact you bear such pain is a testament to your strength of will.
[Perception] I noticed your wings. [Intelligence] Are you able to fly?
th_kaelyn02.jpg
No, I cannot. The wings simply serve as a cloak, and at times a shield from the sun or elements. They are another mark of Celestia, one that I welcome.
So, you are a follower of the god Ilmater, correct?
th_kaelyn02.jpg
That is correct. I am a sister of the Ilmatari, follower if Ilmater, the Suffering God. We bring confort to those in pain, and take the painful burdens of others onto ourselves.
What brought you to the faith?
th_kaelyn02.jpg
Many faiths seek to help those who suffer, but it is my feeling that only Ilmater approaches it... justly. In Ilmater's teachings, I find there is truth. Through his priests and his blessings, we seek to help all who hurt. There is a freedom in such all-encompassing sacrifice, I find.
You speak as one who has been treated unjustly - and without freedom as well.
th_kaelyn02.jpg
[Influence: Failure] It is difficult to express, and I am not certain I have the words. Suffice to say that I found the call of Ilmater's teachings stronger.
When we met, you mentioned the "House of the Triad". What is that?
th_kaelyn02.jpg
The House of the Triad is not a temple, nor is it a place upon the Prime Material Plane. It is the name bestowed to the three great mountains circling Mount Celestia on the outer planes. The realms of Torm, Tyr and Ilmater lie upon the crest of each mountain, and the triumvirate forms the House of teh Triad. It is a place of great beauty, where the orchestrations of devas are carried on the wind and sun. But it is sealed to me, and never again shall I know its confort.
But as a priest of Ilmater, can't you go to his realm?
547.jpg

th_kaelyn02.jpg
No creature there can feel pain, fatigue or even exhaustion. One is renewed within its walls. There are times I miss it, I must confess.
That must be suffering in itself.
548.jpg

So, tell me a little about yourself.
th_kaelyn02.jpg
[Influence: Failure] MY history is in the past, where it belongs. Let us look to the future, and what we may accomplish. I am sorry, but my past efforts have shamed me, and they are difficult to speak of.
Forgive me, I meant no disrespect to your privacy.
th_kaelyn02.jpg
[Influence Gain: Kaelyn] No, it is I who must ask your forgiveness. Perhaps as we travel more together, I shall find the words and the will to speak them.
[Lore]When we met Davorik, you mentioned you were once a doomguide, which means you once followed Kelemvor.
th_kaelyn02.jpg
Yes. Part of the tenets of Kelemvor is to comfort the dying, for them to make peace with death. It was once a task taht conforted me as well.
What happened?
549.jpg

What do you mean?
th_kaelyn02.jpg
In Kelemvor's faith, they teach that death is not something to be feared, that it is part of the natural cycle. But that is not true. If one does not worship the gods, then there is much to fear - and no prospects of peace in the afterlife.
No prospects of peace? I don't understand.
th_kaelyn02.jpg
To comfort a dying child... knowing it is destined to scream eternally in an ever-living wall... A midwife of the Planes who has never heard of such a thing as gods, and entire plane of seawives who farm the sea and seed the oceans to bring about life... to know that they are bound to become stones in the wall of a faithless citadel, crushed together by dogma and ritual that has never once been reflected upon. That never once has been examined for what it is.
You're speaking of the Wall of the Faithless.
th_kaelyn02.jpg
Yes, the great wall that encircles the City of Judgement. Its bricks are sould that never pledged fealty to any god - now knew that they had to to achieve paradise in the afterlife. They are mortared there, crushed together to suffer by archaic law. No matter how good, or pure, or unselfish they were - it matters only if they followed the proper rituals to a deity, any deity.
That does seem unjust.
th_kaelyn02.jpg
[Influence Gain: Kaelyn] You goddamn right it's unjust, nigga... I mean, that is my sentiment as well. Religion is not ritual. It is intended to comfort, to strengthen, not to punish. Is lip service to a god... is that what is important? Or is it the acts and belief that matter?
What do you beleive should be done?
th_kaelyn02.jpg
My conscience cannot be silenced on this. I hear justice. I hear the last words of those who suffer and need comfort. All of these things I hear always. But beyond them, in the Fugue Plane, I hear the cries of those dead who lie within the wall. And I cannot forsake them.
If you go, I will go with you and help you if I can.
th_kaelyn02.jpg
[Influence Gain: Kaelyn] I would welcome your help, and it lends me strength to know that you are my ally in this. I will fly to them, and I will grant them wings as I have. I shall release them from the curse that their death has become. Because it is the right thing to do for one's spirit to be at peace.
550.jpg

th_kaelyn02.jpg
I led the socond crusade to tear down this wall. Like the first, it failed, but I still live. It will continue.
Second Crusade?
551.jpg

What happened during the First Crusade?
th_kaelyn02.jpg
My grandfather sought to dissuade me from my efforts with the tale of the first crusade. I do not think he understood the tale he was telling. Before then, I did not even know that there had been previous attempts to bring down the Wall. To realise that others had felt as I did gave me a new strength - new conviction.
Who led the Crusade?
th_kaelyn02.jpg
One mortal sought to cast down the wall and failed, even with an army at his back. His name was Akachi, sometimes known as the Betrayer.
Why did your grandfather tell you such a tale?
552.jpg

553.jpg

554.jpg

Tell me more about your grandfather.
th_kaelyn02.jpg
He is a solar, and I one of his descendents. His blood runs through my veins, but my perspective and my spirit are my own, not tied to the higher planes.
555.jpg

GODDAMN!! That's one long conversation. It's also pretty self-explanatory, so there's not much commentary on hidden meanings and stuff to give. We learn some background info on Gann. He hides from his own past and from his own life by living mostly in the dreams of others. He invades people's dreams as a means of escape from all the questions that he should be seeking answers for, instead. I've seen a post on this forum, a long time ago, that made the point of likening Gann to a simple-minded religious fundamentalist. The reasoning was that he seems to see everything through the perspective of dreams, like others would with God. Every opinion, personality and phenomenon that he comes across must have some kind of explanation stemming from the person's dreams. It's kind of like Freud, in that (IIRC) he believed that every psychological disorder was caused by a mix of repressed trauma and sexual attraction to one's relatives.

Kaelyn's personality is also further explored. She's more of a zealot than anything else. Most people would agree with her cause, though, so it's no big issue sympathising with her. I suggest, though, that you hold your judgement about the Wall for now until you've heard the gods' side of the story near the end of the game.

Now, let's do something more light-hearted. Kaji time! I only discovered that you could speak to him this way just now.
556.jpg

557.jpg

558.jpg

559.jpg

560.jpg

561.jpg

This word game no longer impresses me. I forfeit.

562.jpg

563.jpg

I'd like to ask Kaji a few questions.
564.jpg

Where were you on the night of the 16th?

565.jpg

Was it murder?

566.jpg

Aha! Now we have you on six counts of breaking and entering!

That could be useful. (Tell us what we want to know about Safiya and we'll talk to the DA about extenuating circumstances.)
th_safiya.jpg
[Influence Gain: Safiya] He's certainly... rough around the edges - but I think he's rather useful to have around.
(*turns on wire* Useful for what, exactly?.)
567.jpg

Can you say something for me?
568.jpg

Can you say, "I'm going down the river to Sing-Sing"?

569.jpg

570.jpg

571.jpg

Guilty!

Next case: All rise and be seated for the judge of case number 422A: The State of Rashemen v. The Ice Troll Lodge.
572.jpg

573.jpg

574.jpg
575.jpg

576.jpg
577.jpg

Here's the feat you get by successfully becoming a member of the lodge.
607.jpg

Well then, Edurance Test again.
578.jpg

This should be easy, I don't believe in the supernatural!
579.jpg

This time, Yulia sprinkles some sparkling powder into the water, which immediately crystalises it. Smiling in satisfaction, her hand weaves a strange pattern in the air before beckoning you to enter. You find yourself completely unprepared for how much colder the water is thatn before. Your body immediately goes numb and you wonder if this was such a good idea. The chill of the water permeates your being, and you suddenly feel a strong empathy for those adventurers unfortunate enough to meet their fate at the wrong end of a white dragon. The top of the water has frozen over again, encasing you, and your sluggish mind recalls tales of the Hells, relating how some of its levels are composed of unending ice. As your breathing becomes ever more ragged, your body screams for release from the unrelenting cold. Just as your grasp of consciousness begins to slip, you are gentl lifted from the pool and placed on the floor.
581.jpg

Jinny Guinea Pig?
582.jpg

The reward for completing a test that proves you can survive extreme cold without problems: a cold-resistance ring. How ironic. Equipping all my shit again takes time. While in the inventory, I came across this item description for another ring I got from somewhere. The devs probably got a kick from getting this into the finished product.
583.jpg

Arena time again:
584.jpg

585.jpg
586.jpg

587.jpg

588.jpg
589.jpg

Yeees... Test the... newcomer... Bestiality.
590.jpg

591.jpg

592.jpg

They all went down easily so far.

593.jpg
594.jpg

Again, she goes down after barely the first round is over.

595.jpg
596.jpg

You know, I'm a member of this lodge. How is it tarnished if your own member happens to win?

597.jpg
598.jpg

599.jpg
600.jpg

Now this is funny.

601.jpg
602.jpg

Poor dope, his pathetic sword in now mine. It's only useful if you're a rogue who hasn't got the feat that lets to sneak-attack un-sneak-attackable foes yet.

Now the STR test. This one was actually hard to beat.
603.jpg

604.jpg
605.jpg
606.jpg

My strength as is was 27. Base 23 + 4 from Belt of some kind of Giant Strength. I tries various spells and item combinations but they didn't even stack with the belt. Then I tried Greater Rage, which raised my STR to 33. Did not work. Then I tried Frenzy, which also for some reason didn't stack with my belt, but gave me a +6 bonus so that was 29.
608.jpg

Then I hit the obvious jackpot: Greater Rage AND Frenzy. That gave me the 35 I needed to bead the fucker. Here are the results:
609.jpg
610.jpg

As a reward, you get a belt of Storm-Giant-Super-Ăśbermensch Strength, with +10. Again, it's a very inappropriate reward to get, seeing as I just proved that my strength can reach gratuitous levels on its own.

Anyway, now's the moment I've been waiting to get over with for a long time: the battle.
611.jpg

612.jpg

Here's a buffing montage, complete with crudely brushed codex-integration effects.
613.jpg

Now for the Okku battle we finally have some of the game's soundtrack here.
614.jpg

615.jpg

He must be dreaming if he thinks I'll do that.

616.jpg

617.jpg

You can't win the Diplomacy and Intimidate checks, once again. However, the Taunt one you can win. Here are the results:
625.jpg

618.jpg

Now, it's time for more of those wacky AoE spell effects:
619.jpg

This one is Earthquake plus Sunburst.

620.jpg

This one seems to be just Storm of Vengeance.

621.jpg

Meteor Storm and a Heal going off on Butch.

622.jpg

Same.

623.jpg

624.jpg

And the epilogue of this fight.

626.jpg

627.jpg

628.jpg

629.jpg

630.jpg

631.jpg

632.jpg

633.jpg

That shield is so ugly.

634.jpg

635.jpg

636.jpg

637.jpg

638.jpg

639.jpg

640.jpg

641.jpg

And that was the confrontation with Okku. Popular opinion, as well as my own, says that Okku is a far less interesting companion in the game than One of Many. Now for some comments form the cast:
642.jpg

643.jpg

And here's the first glimpse of the dreaded-by-retards Spirit Metre. For some reason, all my buffs get removed after the fight is over. I'll present how the SM works in more detail in the next update.
644.jpg

645.jpg

646.jpg

647.jpg

648.jpg

Yeah, you better run!

Anyway, that's all for this chapter. I'll put up a contents thing in the OP tomorrow to facilitate navigation and shit. See you next time.

Silellak

Cipher
Yay! Glad to see this is still going.

I was retarded and got Okku when I played, so I'm really curious to see the One-of-Many stuff.

deuxhero

Arcane
Ok, go suppress near spiriits (have Gann summon them if you can't find any) rest and repeat untill craving is minimum then get your hunger to max (100) with your craving free 1/day use of devour.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
There are always two or three spirits outside the gates that you can provoke, then summon the Orglash as well if you want. That's 3-4 spirits right there to suppress if needed.

Anyway, there's no need to waste time on grinding the spirit metre. Even without minimum craving there are enough special bosses out there that refill your spirit level after you devour/suppress them.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Thought you got rid of me, didn't you angry cunts? After a 4 week hiatus, it's time to continue this epic saga. A real update will follow tomorrow, on the 4 week anniversary.

649---Chapter-II.jpg

Wulfstand

Prophet
Reject_666_6 said:
Thought you got rid of me, didn't you angry cunts? After a 4 week hiatus, it's time to continue this epic saga. A real update will follow tomorrow, on the 4 week anniversary.

649---Chapter-II.jpg

Where is it, ya git?

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Thanks for this, it's really great to see how much I missed in my typically rushed play though. This has definitely inspired me to re-install.

I forget just how amazing the writing is. It's easy, when you get used to playing regular games again, to forget just how good it is.

Cassidy

Arcane
This thread made me certain I need to check One of Many before reading it once it gets there. I also wonder whether having the PC as a favoured soul of Kelemvor would bring some changes in dialogue.

And I have a minor curiousity on why there is a significant amount of NPCs with Slavic-ish names in MOTB. Is Rashemen supposed to be the Forgotten Realms equivalent of what I'm thinking it is or just coincidence?

deuxhero

Arcane
Cassidy said:
This thread made me certain I need to check One of Many before reading it once it gets there. I also wonder whether having the PC as a favoured soul of Kelemvor would bring some changes in dialogue.

Doubt it. They said they weren't going to change older campaigns priror to the rerelease of SoZ (in response to a question about if the Swashbuckler would get a proper sword of gith in the OC, unlike the barbarian/default for the Favored Soul/spirit shaman. )

Now, having Kelemvor as your PC's deity...

Erebus

Arcane
I'd be curious to know the consequences of being a worshipper or a priest of Kelemvor in MotB (especially during the discussions with Kaelyn, Myrkul and Kelemvor himself).

I once played the game with a priestess of Ilmater and Kaelyn had a couple of comments about how glad she was to have a colleague with her. (As opposed to the time I played with a spirit shaman and Gann didn't seem to care one bit.)

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Erebus said:
I'd be curious to know the consequences of being a worshipper or a priest of Kelemvor in MotB (especially during the discussions with Kaelyn, Myrkul and Kelemvor himself).

I once played the game with a priestess of Ilmater and Kaelyn had a couple of comments about how glad she was to have a colleague with her. (As opposed to the time I played with a spirit shaman and Gann didn't seem to care one bit.)

That seems kind of fitting though. I can imagine Kaelyn being impressed by a fellow follower, but the whole spirit shaman thing seems a little more personal; not so much a faith as just a way of going about your business (indeed Gann classes himself as one of the faithless). In that respect I can see why Gann wouldn't give a fuck, one way or the other, if the player also talks to spirits. At most I could see a comparing of notes, but that's it.

It would have been nice though if, after finding out the player's alignment to Ilmater, Kaelyn's influence gains and losses were more pronounced.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom