Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mask of the Betrayer, let's play it!

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Success!

Yeah, so 6-7 hours.

Fuck, I'm really too tired to paste all these images here and write stuff right now. Gonna have to postpone this one until tomorrow, same time.

Teaser: I've got the whole Wells of Lurue area done (except for the quest that you can't finish properly until after the Skein).

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Previously, on Let's play MotB:
-We were infected with a terrible curse (or great gift, depending on your view) that causes us to have to feed on spirits, or else.
-Our brave party managed to defeat this colourful spirit bear, which we previously annoyed by waking him from his dreams of being in the Rashemen gay pride parade.
-A little girl promised to make me feel so good if I meet with some guy in the Wells of Lurue.

But before we venture forth, we must pick up something I forgot to: the key/sword that was the official reason we messed with the furnace in the first place.
835.jpg

836.jpg
837.jpg

Now that we have the key, might as well use it to open the big black door.
838.jpg

839.jpg

Very atmospheric hints from the devs. Since NWN doesn't show descriptions of things the same way Fallout does, for example, these loading screens have to take on that role.
840.jpg

By the way, you might have noticed last time that I had 100 spirit energy after absorbing the Priest. In any story-related devouring, you get 100 spirit energy no matter what level you were at before. There are also a couple of story-related suppressions that do the same.

841.jpg

842.jpg

That's nice, OOM, but we aren't staying. That loading screen description is dead serious. Opening any door here triggers a large mob of Ancient Vampires to appear, a.k.a. undead monks from hell. Out of curiosity, I has my ass kicked a bit to remember how tough they were: I only managed to get one of them down to Injured before they annihilated me. Ideally, Butch (with an anti-knockdown buff), Okku and high-level Kaelyn are necessary to win here. Right now Turn Undead does nothing and she's bad at fighting without all her buffs.

Anyway, let's check the map.
843.jpg
844.jpg

It's cool that the game plans for your spirit energy level when travelling.
845.jpg

The Wells of Lurue. There is a farmer up ahead, so let's interact.
846.jpg

847.jpg

848.jpg
849.jpg
850.jpg

Even Gann has standards.
851.jpg
852.jpg
853.jpg

Let's do just that.
854.jpg

855.jpg

856.jpg
857.jpg
858.jpg

Are you invincible?
859.jpg
860.jpg
861.jpg

862.jpg
863.jpg

A lie cast by truth? wat
864.jpg

865.jpg
866.jpg
867.jpg

Like Gann says, we'll need to revisit this place once we get a new ability in the Skein.
868.jpg

869.jpg

870.jpg

871.jpg
872.jpg
873.jpg

You'll notice how verbose this one introduction to a quest was. Alas, not every game can be as streamlined and polished as Mass Effect or Alpha Protocol...

Now then, we came here for a reason.
874.jpg

875.jpg

876.jpg

877.jpg

878.jpg

OOM is actually a Ch1ef alt. It's obvious that he's actually not posting from a Rashemi IP, and that proxy he uses to hide his true form is as transparent as he is.

879.jpg

*dramatic chipmunk*

880.jpg

881.jpg
882.jpg

It means that U'juk is compatible with the Many. We haven't any clue about how the Many is related to the spirit eater curse yet, but we're getting there.
883.jpg
884.jpg

If he ate spirit-eaters in the past and never got the curse himself, he must be über-jealous right now.

885.jpg

*gasp*
886.jpg

Who's frightened, I'm not frightened.
mystary.jpg

ONLY SIX?!?!?

887.jpg
888.jpg
889.jpg

890.jpg
891.jpg
892.jpg

This proves that animals are not sentient, even though Rangers/Druids can communicate with no problems and have entire conversations with animals.

893.jpg

This quest actually has two possible solutions. The more rewarding one (also the one we can't use) is to trick Shelvedar (the travelling merchant/spy) and his buddies to stop by here, ultimately getting eaten. If you know they're spies, it would make it a sort of good option because they're getting what they deserve. However, if you do that you don't get to kill them yourself and report them to the witches. Sending them here lets you raid their wagon for some loot, but I don't remember if it was fantastic loot or throwaway.

The second option is to trick Radu and Vyk from the lodge to PROVE THEIR METTLE up here. This is sort of evil because those two morons are innocent. Perfect for us! There's no extra items for using them, though.

894.jpg

Brings a tear to your eye...

While exploring, we get attacked by some porcelain elementals.
895.jpg

Seriously, they crumble like talc.
896.jpg

If you're wondering why a party member is missing, it's because there's a glitch in the game that causes the party member who initiates conversation with U'juk to get stuck to him.
897.jpg

898.jpg

Now we reach an unholy ritual. Safiya might have had something to add here, but we'll have to make due.
899.jpg

900.jpg

901.jpg
902.jpg
903.jpg

Well, well, well. I've always wanted to say that in a game.

Now let the special effects begin.
904.jpg

905.jpg

906.jpg

Unfortunately, Butch got infected by the nigger curse as well for some reason. Killing those amateur magicians nets you some magical items and some scrolls.
907.jpg

I used Suppress here, because I was surrounded by 4 spirit bears and you get a bonus for using it here. Wish I had Spirit Gorge, though, so it might actually be more useful in combat.
908.jpg

909.jpg

I didn't know this until now, but if you have Gann in your party and you've devoured Okku, these bears never attack you. It seems like it's some kind of bug because Gann gets cut off for no reason, but everybody else gets this so it must be WAD.

Since they won't attack, we'll have to force their hand a little.
910.jpg

911.jpg

You get a nice conversation with these bears if you have Okku with you, plus a small XP bonus. They're his relatives but they still get very mad when they find out that Okku's helping me and defying his purpose of killing spirit-eaters. Having high diplomacy can let you avoid combat with them and you get a LOT of XP, but no items since you don't fight.

If you visit them without Okku (even though you spared him) they just tell you to bring him to them. I'm not sure about visiting them with Okku devoured but without OOM. However, I'm 100% sure that if you have OOM and not Gann in your party, there's no way of avoiding combat with them.

Now enough about this, let's visit the Wells of Lurue.
912.jpg

913.jpg
914.jpg
915.jpg

916.jpg
917.jpg

Gann is useful in these dream sequences and adds to the conversations usually. That's why it's a good idea to get friendly with him as soon as you can.

Hmm, familiar...
918.jpg

919.jpg

920.jpg
921.jpg

[Intelligence] I think so too.

922.jpg

923.jpg

924.jpg
925.jpg

926.jpg
927.jpg

Oh boy, I can't wait to see what foul abominations from the depths of my nightmares, what terrors from my memories await me here!

928.jpg

IT'S JUST SOME FUCKING SHADOWS! I am disappoint...
929.jpg

930.jpg

931.jpg
932.jpg

Araman's an important character, but I'll save that for when we meet him. Not as important as Akachi, but still.
933.jpg
934.jpg

Oh, man, it was just getting interesting...
935.jpg

Well, that analysis of OOM I promised isn't here because he's had virtually no interaction in Lurue at all. At least Safiya would have something to say about the wizards and maybe the bears and would be useful in combat to nuke things. OOM is literally about as useful as Kaji while he's in this Rogue form.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
You can also send a bunch of cartless merchants to the Uthraki (standing just outside Mulsantir's gates), you just need to buy them a wagon from one of the traders in Mulsantir. Then, just give them the directions ("Oh, yah, there's a shortcut... :cool: ")

lightbane

Arcane
You could, you know, "cheat" a bit and summon Safiya to accompany you, because the game focus more on story (as it should be) it will not matter much if you force things a bit...

PS: Also, you're apparently going for the alll-devouring path, I'm right?

Reject_666_6

Arcane
lightbane said:
You could, you know, "cheat" a bit and summon Safiya to accompany you, because the game focus more on story (as it should be) it will not matter much if you force things a bit...

PS: Also, you're apparently going for the alll-devouring path, I'm right?
I'll consider it, but I sort of know which parts are best with each character, so I'll adjust accordingly. And yeah, I'll be going for every story-devour in the game, but I'll be using suppress or spirit gorge non-exclusively during fights, depending on which is better at the time.

Update coming tomorrow.

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I had forgotten how great the writing in this game is, and how many details you get in conversations, and how it all ties up when you reach the end.

Please do continue. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom