Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Esquilax

Arcane
If we do the latter we might not have enough months before the ten swords summit. Risk of failure is high either way, and we still don't know if they even have the entire manual to begin with.

Why would the risk of failure be any higher in searching for Xuxian than it would be in finding the Xiaoming Jiuyang manual from the thieves? And I am not convinced that it would take longer either. It's hard to tell how long the search would take either way. However, since we met up with Qi Liuwu, he gave us an interesting bit of information regarding the Shaolin, and I think it's a great way to mend things with them.

I'd rather go for the constabulary now and see if we can get that entire manual. We'd get +rep for helping constables and whoever we take out is probably okay to take out.

+rep with who? I don't see how finding the manual for the constables would translate into better rep with the Eight Sects. Two different things.

Flopping to BA

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
For Shaolin, the "good graces" route requires some amazing efforts to make them like us and trust us that much.

As for the constable manual, it is most likely property of the emperor to the constables, which means we should have some quick access upon retrieval courtesy of Shun.

If we wind up acting as a constable, then people would have to treat us with more respect.

Baltika9

Arcane
If we wind up acting as a constable, then people would have to treat us with more respect.
I don't know if we can afford to register as a full-time constable, we have our own agenda going here. I'm down with helping them out here, sure, but in order for us to truly enjoy the perks of being a constable, I think we'll have to sign on full-time with them. Not to mention we have no idea how well respected they are in the jianghu.

Absinthe

Arcane
Even having been "Acting Constable Pro Tempore" would improve our respectability. I'm not planning on full-time constable either.

Esquilax

Arcane
For Shaolin, the "good graces" route requires some amazing efforts to make them like us and trust us that much.

I think it's worth it. But then, my goal would be to bring Xuxian to justice, not to get access to the manual from the Shaolin Temple. If that happens great, but that's not why I would go there. We'll have to just agree to disagree on the goal there, but it's a moot point, as the constabulary visit is a lock to win. I just think that capturing Xuxian would allow us to really restore our rep in the eyes of the Eight Sects, and that's important to me.

As for the constable manual, it is most likely property of the emperor to the constables, which means we should have some quick access upon retrieval courtesy of Shun.

Ah yes, this is certainly a possibility.

I don't think we will be. We didn't join Shun "from the ground up" when he first formed the constables, so it seems to me that we'll be a freelancer with some classified info thanks to the password Shun gave us.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Well, my goal is to get the manual. I like our odds in 2A better for that. Also, playing Good/Bad Cop Jing seems like a cool narrative.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

AA

edit: loving the stat boosts from the last update. Finally, we are at 8 sneak.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baltika9

Arcane
treave, I was thinking about our chances if it came down to all-out war with the sects. If all eight of them come together and call in the minor schools, we'll be pretty much fucked before the war even starts I figure. Would i tbe possible to get on good enough terms with a sect so that when the call to arms comes from Wuxing, they would stay out of it and not attack us?
Or is our and the Cult's rep so far down the shitter that it's impossible?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Imperial Constabulary

When the Emperor Xuande decreed the establishment of the Eminently Judicious Imperial Tang Constabulary, he also had them set up quarters in Fuyuan Ward, located in the northeastern sector of Chang’an and separate from the main administrative offices in the north central sector where the capital’s own judiciary and constables were to be found. It was a demonstration of their independence from the royalty and bureaucracy. The offices of the Imperial Constables were not large; they occupied no more than a single building, and from what you have heard the staff do not number more than a hundred, administrative workers included.

That was sufficient: the Imperial Constables did not need heavy manpower – instead of being a police force concerned with keeping public order, they acted more as detectives and wandering agents of the law, given power to travel the land and investigate serious crimes regardless of rank or status. They were also tasked with special missions for the Emperor whenever men and women of their skills were required.

They were known as masters of inquiry, experts of the natural sciences, and consummate investigators that would bring justice to every case.

That did not stop you from sneaking in from the third floor window after it had turned out that the password Shun gave you was out of use since a few days ago, arousing the suspicion of the guards.

“Really,” you mutter to yourself, “He could have told me the expiry date.” Since they would have recorded their investigations, it would be simpler for you to obtain those records rather than attempt to talk your way past some stubborn helmet-heads. Having climbed in easily – evidently the constables need to improve their security – you find yourself in an unlit large room, an ornate, round stone table placed in the center. You touch the table; the stone is highly polished and comfortably smooth to rub against. You are almost tempted to lie down on it and take a nap.

The door to the room opens.

“Intruder! State your name and purpose!” shouts out a figure, dashing into the dark room.

There is the glint of metal reflecting off the faint light coming in through the windows; as you focus your senses in response you can pick up the presence of not one, but at least six more people in the vicinity. The weapon flashes towards you threateningly. You retaliate in self-defense, striking at it with your scabbard, pinning it down on the table as your assailant gasps. With your other hand you lash out, grabbing the throat of one that had been planning to flank you, while you kick out towards your back almost simultaneously, pressing one more opponent against the wall. He lets out a muffled groan. “Is this how the Imperial Constabulary greets a guest?” you call out.

“You seem more like an intruder than a guest,” replies a deep voice, calm despite the noisy struggles made in vain by the constables that you have subdued. “Could someone please light up the room?”

It takes a while for the lamps to be lit. When they are, you see that the man addressing you is a grizzled-looking middle-aged man who seems more at home in the battlefield than as a constable. “Could you please let my men go now?” You release the pressure on the three constables and they dart away from you, two of them coughing and choking. Then, you say, sincerely, “I’m sorry for the intrusion.”

This earns you some glares, but their leader waves them down. “I recognize those features from His Majesty's description. You must be Xu Jing. My name is Jiang Zheng, the chief of this constabulary. I heard from His Majesty that you might be dropping by sometime, but I did not expect such an entrance.” His visage remains impassive as he stares at you; he is no lightweight in martial arts, it seems.

“It seems that His Majesty’s password was out of date,” you say, shrugging.

“Yes, we had just changed it. I suppose a bit of miscommunication is unavoidable,” he sighs. “Come, sit. We were about to have a meeting on the progress of the investigation. I suppose your timing is strangely perfect.”

“Which investigation would that be?”

He raises an eyebrow. “Would you be here for any other investigation, Xu Jing?”

“I guess not,” you admit.

You stand to the side as the Imperial Constables file in, each of them throwing suspicious glances at you bar one; Xiaofang, the cute servant girl who was with Zhang Manxing in Tufan. She averts her eyes, trying very hard not to look at you in whatever way possible. With a grin, you step around her as you try to succeed in getting her to meet your gaze, resulting in a strange dance that only ends when Jiang Zheng makes a loud, disapproving cough.

You raise your hands and step back. That’s right – you’d forgotten that Shun had told you not to anger them.

“Now, can we begin?” grumbles Jiang. You look at each of the constables as their reports begin. The three you had subdued early on are talking animatedly – two men, one woman, all three of them young, fair of face, and seemingly inexperienced, though to be selected to this position they must possess good investigative abilities despite their looks. There is Xiaofang, listening intently. Then there is a man older than Jiang Zheng, his hair white and his beard long who appears to be almost nodding off, and a very pretty woman in her late twenties who has a disinterested look on her face, focusing more on the papers in front of her than the words of her colleagues. The woman seems familiar to you somehow, but you cannot recall her face at the moment.

“To recapitulate,” says one of the young men, “Our colleagues were killed by a combination of the Qishang Fist (七傷拳, Seven Wounds Fist) and Wuqing Sword (無情劍, Merciless Sword), techniques used by the Jinkong Sect.”

“They are a small sect considered to be unorthodox, located in the mountains south of here,” adds his friend. “The Jinkong Sect are led by Master Li Yixian, but have never shown any tendency to get involved in pugilistic affairs prior to this event.”

“However, they do have close relations with Du Yao of the nearby Youxia City, who was once the shidi of Li Yixian before he entered service with the court. They maintained that relationship even after he left the sect,” says the girl. “Still, I think it is strange that they would leave such an obvious trail leading back to them.”

“They might not care if they get the manual, thinking that it would make their sect invincible,” comments Jiang Zheng. “Regardless, speaking with Du Yao would be our best bet. I will handle this meeting personally... we have crossed paths a few times before.” Looking at one of the young men and the girl, he says, “Mi Shang, Zhu Xiaoling, you will look after the headquarters while I am not here.” They nod and salute. Then, Jiang turns to the old man, “Master Shang, please investigate Du Yao’s contacts in the capital.” The sleepy old man lets out a grunt of affirmation. “Xiaofang, you will be coming with me, but I will need you to undertake a female disguise again.”

Xiaofang is clearly unhappy, but gives a nod anyway. “Yes, Chief Jiang.”

Ah, so Xiaofang is an eunuch, you think to yourself. A dangerously cute one.

“Fu Xia, Lady Suien, you will also travel with me to Youxia City. I will need your expertise there,” continues Jiang. The other young man gives an enthusiastic response, while the woman just frowns and inclines her head. Her identity strikes you suddenly – despite her age, she is one of Shun’s nieces, a daughter of his eldest brother. A princess by birth, she had renounced her royalty from an early age, opting to spend her life in scholarly studies rather than being a pawn for marriage.

Finally, Jiang Zheng turns to you. “Well now, Xu Jing. What do you think? I know His Majesty was keen to get you involved in the early days of this case, when we still had the manual in our possession. Unfortunately he could not find you in time, but I think his judgment is still sound even at this stage of the investigation – we… well, I would be at more ease knowing that a fighter of your caliber will be assisting us.”

“What about your subordinates? I fear we got off on the wrong note,” you say, attempting to put an apologetic tone in your voice.

“Do not worry,” he scowls, seemingly offended by your statement. “We are professionals, Xu Jing.”

“And I will be taking orders from you while on this mission?”

“Huh, a free-spirited stallion, like the Emperor said,” he mutters, before giving you his answer. “Think of it as advice. You are free to ignore my words… I do not think I would be able to stop you by force. But I hope you consider this matter serious enough to heed my counsel and perform your duties where necessary. This is not a military operation, but a civil investigation. I will not demand complete obedience.”

You consider his words. “Well…”

A. You will go to Youxia City with Jiang Zheng, along with your companions. It is a few days south of here, in the mountains, and also a short distance away from Wudang to the east. The lead that the constables have seem to be solid: if they come across any hostiles in their search, you would like to be there to help them out.

B. You will not go to Youxia City. You will head east to Luoyang and Shaolin, pursuing the lead that you have obtained from Qi Liuwu. Let the constables search for it by themselves; if they fail or die, perhaps you can backtrack later to see what they have managed to find, and pick up the investigation yourself from there.

Final tally:

Nevill - A
Azira - A
ERYFKRAD - A
Akkudakku - A
Kz3r0 - A
Kipeci - A
Smashing Axe - A
Baltika9 - A
Elfberserker - A
The Brazilian Slaughter - A
Esquilax - A
Jester - A
Kashmir Slippers - A
Fangshi - A
Rex Feral - A
Absinthe - A
Grimgravy - A
TOME - A
XenomorphII - A
Tigranes - A
asxetos - A
Lambchop19 - A

profreshinal - B

A - 22
B - 1

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
That was a really stupid idea, yeah. Let's see if we can be less stupid this time around. At least, we have our girls to think of, so maybe we'll be more responsible? :roll:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This time we have nine people instead of six. Du Yao does not stand a chance!

Also, I kind of wonder what would Lingshu think about us entering the imperial service. Their "For Great Justice!" shtick is right up her alley.

I assume that among our friends only Yunzi, Qilin (and her family), Cao'er, Yu and Chanfeng know about our connection to the prince?

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
A - Sounds fun. Maybe we'll get back in touch with the remnants of Luoying Manor through Yao.

I also get the feeling that without our support the constables will end up dead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom