Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Esquilax

Arcane
Okay, now that the butthurt has abated, let's get down to business. Chang'an or Yuhua Hall: Which is Better and Why? DISCUSS!!!

Okay, according to the phrasing of the choice, it seems to me that we'll have enough money to buy Song Lingshu medicine regardless of whether we pick up our cash at Yuhua Hall or not. So that's not a big deal.

A benefit of Chang'an is that it's the home of the Beggars, the one major sect that we've managed to avoid pissing off too much after this debacle. We only took a -5 rep hit with them, so we have at least a little bit of room to work with them with our +15 rep. The other major benefit is that Chang'an is an Imperial Capital, so it's possible that we can ask Gao Ying or Shun for more details about the situation. Now, they might not be particularly thrilled given the Zhang Manxing situation, but they would probably have an idea of who in the Court would be privy to the knowledge that the constables were carrying it and who would have the clout and connections to intercept and kill them as it was being delivered. So Shun is our way in here. And possibly the Beggars if we work for it (and with our current rep, things are still salvageable with them).

Now, Yuhua Hall. That's an interesting scenario that is probably going to lead us into more unorthodox sources here. Whether Song Lingshu and Yifang are going to be able to hack it is a bit more questionable and we'd need to work with a far more ruthless type of people. Bai Jiutian has already managed to convince the orthodox world that Lingshu has fallen in with a bad crowd, and this would just worsen things. Lingshu and Yifang are the only respectable, upright pugilists that are with us, and digging for info among the shadier parts of the jianghu would really be playing into Bai Jiutian's hands. Going to Chang'an will be a slog and an uphill battle, but I think it's doable. Otherwise they'll just spin the situation as our continued corruption of upright orthodox maidens.

That being said, we would probably have sources here that are connected to the mysterious men-in-black that took the Nine Yang Divine Manual to begin with. It's probably a quicker route to our goal, but I'm not sure if it's worth the risk of burning up Lingshu and Yifang's rep further, when that's their best asset in helping us. Chang'an would make a search a bit harder too - we'd probably be able to piece together who actually stole the manual from Yuhua Hall, but I'm not quite sure if I'm prepared to do a bunch of shady favours for it and potentially drag our friends' rep in the mud for it.

Flopping to CB

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
treave, how efficiently can Cao'er stabilize Lingshu until we search for the antidote? There must be ways to ease the strain on her body, besides the obvious one.

Is this a choice between "to bed or not to bed", or is there some sidequest on a timer involved?

I assume Cao'er is going to Chengdu to buy the ingredients?
I think all of us will. She won't carry Lingshu on her back. And I don't think you can afford anyone walking alone now with the knowledge of the mirroring tech in BJ's hands. Hostages are suddenly a very real possibility.

We must relocate Yao and Miecao ASAP.

Esquilax

Arcane
I want to point out that Yuhua Hall is a month of travel time away, and the cure needs to be administered in days.

Their money will not help us here. Not that there are no other reasons to go there.

Hold on Nevill, where are you getting this from? I don't know where it was said that Yuhua Hall is a month away from our current position. As for the medicine:

“I can make an antidote…” Cao’er nods. “…but the ingredients need to be bought… need to go to Chengdu.”
“Nothing to apologize for.” You pat her head. It’s a nostalgic feeling, and this time around her hair isn’t nearly anywhere as greasy as it was before.

There are things for you to do – Master Yao had said that he would be fine, but you are not so sure. He had said that the Emei nuns would come for him. You are not certain about leaving Cao’er alone, but she tells you that if you have things to do, she can take care of herself. You head down to Chengdu.

There, you find that Yifang is no longer around; she may have returned to Emei.
You do not fancy walking up to them by yourself; if you get captured for any reason they can think of, that would be bad.

We're already very close to Chengdu anyways. The real trouble will be getting caught by pugilists while buying it and potentially attracting more attention and further rep hits. But time and distance is not really a factor.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
B
B>C

Revenge is a fool's game. Next time we go murderous lunatic it should be for more power, not settling a grudge. That's what a sane man does. Anyone else up for giving someone's arm away when we meet Yang Xue again?

As for Songfeng, C sounds like it carries an element of risk “Well, it isn’t too expensive,” Qilin says, “but it takes some time to prepare. Miss Song will just have to hold out for a few days.”. Just get everyone out of the room and get the "cure" over with.

Nevill

Arcane
Esquilax said:
Hold on Nevill, where are you getting this from? I don't know where it was said that Yuhua Hall is a month away from our current position.
Hmmm... You are right. We never traveled there or from there directly from the Emei. Still, there are 2000 km between Emei and Yanzhou, so a few days travel is out.

Smashing Axe said:
As for Songfeng, C sounds like it carries an element of risk “Well, it isn’t too expensive,” Qilin says, “but it takes some time to prepare. Miss Song will just have to hold out for a few days.”
It does.

It is a choice between the awesome button (again) and actually working for a reward. Or as it turns out, making up for the fuck up that happened because of you and not turning it into an even greater fuck up.

Baltika9

Arcane
Why do we need manxing's drugs to win her over? Jing is an awesome enough dude to do without the aphrodisiacs.
Also, I'd much rather we not alienate Lingshu and Yifang, and actually work on developing good relations with them. Which means 1C.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Yeah so we kill four men in her face, creep the fuck out of her AND rape her? No way it will go wrong!
Youd rather die or get 'cured'. Also its a aphrodisiac if she could talk she would beg Jing for it. Im not saying its right. But can you decline a lady? :doublestandards:

Baltika9

Arcane
Youd rather die or get 'cured'. Also its a aphrodisiac if she could talk she would beg Jing for it. Im not saying its right. But can you decline a lady? :doublestandards:
+M
Still taking advantage of her when we have a perfectly reasonable cure available to us.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
The only reason I prioritised B is that I don't really want to place the girl's life at risk unnecessarily. Do what is the most practical. B is slightly more palatable than the alternative A, and the risk of C. That said I don't like any of the first options. None of them are the "awesome" button as Nevil says with the possible exception of A, they're rather terrible in their own way.

Baltika9

Arcane
Dude. With a master physician and mistress of poison at her side, we can make it in time with the antidote. I'm not down with forcing ourselves on her.

Tribute

Arbiter
Is she at risk of death if we don't find the cure in time? I just don't want to take advantage of her, especially after why we attacked Zhang. Hell, exploiting his drug to do it? That's really gross.

Nevill

Arcane
The only reason I prioritised B is that I don't really want to place the girl's life at risk unnecessarily. Do what is the most practical. B is slightly more palatable than the alternative A, and the risk of C. That said I don't like any of the first options. None of them are the "awesome" button as Nevil says, with the possible exception of A.
Two of them solve the problem on the spot while people get giggles out of it.
The third one has you working for it. If you get caught, Yifang can do it, Qilin can do it, anyone can do it at any given time. There is no risk to her life. You are the one who has to risk it, but you are unwilling to.

That's why the first two options are 'awesome buttons'. No personal risks involved! Healthy sex for everyone!

Jester

Arbiter
BC
We must prepare her to shock of Bai being woman.

I am disappointed that we didnt kill him. One thing, ONE THING i wanted from this pick, used heavy artillery, op techs and power of blood-lust and dint get it. I even didnt care if we would get rep hit etc if he would end up in coffin, for awesome characterisation moment. Witchcraft i say.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Dude. With a master physician and mistress of poison at her side, we can make it in time with the antidote. I'm not down with forcing ourselves on her.
It was a HUGE fucking dose way more someone would ever use probably. It might exert her body to point of death. And antidote takes a few days to prepare...

Esquilax

Arcane
The only reason I prioritised B is that I don't really want to place the girl's life at risk unnecessarily. Do what is the most practical. B is slightly more palatable than the alternative A, and the risk of C. That said I don't like any of the first options. None of them are the "awesome" button as Nevil says, with the possible exception of A.

I don't find C to be all that risky, given that the antidote is nearby at Chengdu. I mean, yes, there is the risk of getting spotted by Qingcheng sectarians in the area - there are a million of the fuckers around nowadays - but I'd rather suffer a little bit now than create friction between ourselves and either Song Lingshu or Yifang. This isn't some touchy feelings bullshit on my part, these two are the only people in the orthodox world who actually believe in us. 1A is bad because, as The Brazilian Slaughter said, it's pretty much tantamount to forcing ourselves on her from her perspective, which coupled with our brutal takedown of Zhang's bodyguards, will cause her to see us much differently. 1B is bad because she's a sexually repressed nun and coaxing her into doing this will make her very resentful down the road. I am willing to take the risk if it means not alienating the only two people we have left on our side in the Eight Sects. This is really important.

It was a HUGE fucking dose way more someone would ever use probably. It might exert her body to point of death. And antidote takes a few days to prepare...

Yeah, it'll take a few days, but with Cao'er and Qilin looking after Lingshu, it should buy her enough time.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Two of them solve the problem on the spot while people get giggles out of it.
The third one has you working for it. If you get caught, Yiling can do it, Qilin can do it, anyone can do it. There is no risk to her involved. You are the one who has to risk it, but you are unwilling to.

That's why the first two options are 'awesome buttons'. No personal risks involved! Healthy sex for everyone!
It's foolish to risk someone's life because of matters of proprietary. It's not about working for it or not, it's about results, pure and simple. Which option is more likely to succeed.

Yes, there may be some unfortunate social consequences (Oh wait, that's personal risk), but considering the scope of what has already happened, this really isn't equitable. If my concerns about the risk to Songfeng's life are mitigated I will flop, but otherwise, most definitely not.

Nevill

Arcane
Smashing Axe said:
It's foolish to risk someone's life because of matters of proprietary. It's not about working for it or not, it's about results, pure and simple. Which option is more likely to succeed.
If you want to succeed in destroying our potential friendships as we have just destroyed our potential alliances, both A and B are very likely to achieve desireable results.

Heh, the very fact I have to argue that makes me feel weird.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Yiling needs to get that stick out of her ass tough. Her character is way hardass sometimes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom