Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I found it interesting that in both cases, Ahura's qi was described as being "oppressive". I'm definitely reaching here, but when Big Wang defeated Ahura he didn't combat Ahura's oppressive, dominating nature with direct aggression of his own. Perhaps something to think about? As for the Eternal Flame, it seems to be a conduit of some sort. I'm having trouble sorting through some of the DISCUSS!!!, treave, what is the Eternal Flame and what is it's function here, exactly? I understand if this is SPOILERS territory, though, just curious if Jing would know at the moment.

To them it is a blessing of God, steeped in religious significance and brought here from Persia. It purifies evil and wickedness, blesses the devout with power, etc. From their perspective at least.

Pure in what sense, treave? "Pure" as in a balance between yin and yang? I'm not sure what exactly is meant here.

No need for it to be a balance, but keeping the yin and yang in your body separate. Everyone has a bit of mixed qi, but yours is fully mixed.

I'm not sure; why would this pain be similar to the one we felt when Master Zhang destroyed our meridians? treave, would Jing know why this is the case?

Even though the meridians are no longer there, the Flame travels through their paths all the same.

Is this where our neigong cap was worn down, treave? What specific event ended up affecting our toad demon essence?

Your initial entry into the flames, yes. It's continuing, but since the Flame is also attacking the rest of your qi, the erosion may slow down.

Okay, so he's still got a ton of "impurities" within him. Ahura was comprised of order, Big Wang's deadly qi technique turned that order into chaos, and now the Amesha Spenta have kept Ahura in this chamber to return him into a state of order. I think that's the right of it.

Purity and Lord of the Light and all that. But the Fire was initially meant to heal him since they thought it was merely his meridians that was destroyed. They're not too sure about the chaotic qi, but once they figured out a bit, they slowly controlled the Fire to deal with it while at the same time Ahura used it to increase his own energy so that he could survive the process. If they had messed up at any time, the conflicting energies would drive him mad.

Baltika9

Arcane
Why weren't the scrolls burned? What do you think the connection is between the scrolls being unmarked and the phrase written on them? I think this could be crucial.

My impression here is that the Eternal Flame burns impurities, while the scroll represents purity. By purifying our own qi and turning the Flame against Ahura, we become safe from the fire. Then again, it could be that I'm already biased because I'm voting A.
Fire-retardant paper?

Tribute

Arbiter
No need for it to be a balance, but keeping the yin and yang in your body separate. Everyone has a bit of mixed qi, but yours is fully mixed.
So it's trying to give us Yin and Yang chi again, by forcibly separating it? No need to fight the river, best to swim along with its current.

I'm not sure; why would this pain be similar to the one we felt when Master Zhang destroyed our meridians? treave, would Jing know why this is the case?

Even though the meridians are no longer there, the Flame travels through their paths all the same.
And the river's trying to carve out its path again. Nothing much the rock can do to fight that.

Baltika9

Arcane
That...kinda makes sense, actually. If the Fire is trying to purify us be separating our qi, then if we help it along instead of fighting it, things will get much easier. The Flame doesn't want to kill us, just purify us.*

Ahura, on the other hand...

*Too bad we're such a hopeless slut.

Tribute

Arbiter
Yeah, I'm beginning to think more and more that A actually legitimately is the safer option, and not just the one that'll result in the coolest "purified and reborn through fire with enlightenment attained" stuff.

Tribute

Arbiter
I'm hoping our enlightenment is a little more Taoist coolness and unlocked potential and a little less Persian fire kung fu and a position at the head of the Fire Cult, but I suppose that's a way it could go. I'd rather give Yunzi the rulership of the cult and leave the fireballs as her schtick rather than stepping on her niche as far as signature neigong goes.

We'll see how it goes once we make it through this, though. If we make it through this.

Baltika9

Arcane
Meh, I'm not down with monastic life for Jing even on Wudang.
Jing is a Serb, his place is in out there removing Worst Kebab.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I really hope this works. Yunzi's reaction to our being the new leader of her cult would be priceless.

Tribute

Arbiter
Oh, no, I didn't say anything about becoming a monk. More a wandering embodiment of the philosophy and Chinese enlightenment, going out in the world righting wrongs and guiding the world into balance (and still chasing skirts, knowing Jing. Gotta spread that Yang chi around...)

Rather than being some sort of unstoppable Persian fire-beast. We're still of the jianghu, we're just a wandering master travelling the warrior's way (not unlike the Sword Saint, actually).

I wonder if we still would have encountered this whole scenario if we had waited for Yunzi instead of going to Turfan...?

Tribute

Arbiter
Aren't we doing that already, though?
Yes, but now we're a figure of enlightenment, much as the Sword Saint is a figure of enlightenment through the way of the sword.

Again, if this is going where I think it's going.

Yeah, we could just end up picking the "right" option, but still barely surviving and being a bald cripple for the rest of our lives...

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So it's trying to give us Yin and Yang chi again, by forcibly separating it? No need to fight the river, best to swim along with its current.

No, it's destroying what you have and also beginning to burn your body externally.

RealDDc

Learned
If we prevail, Jing should not forgett to pocket those scrolls. If we ever end up in such a situation again, a fireproof blanket would be of good use.

At least using it that way would serve us better than the writings on it does.

Baltika9

Arcane
Yeah, we could just end up picking the "right" option, but still barely surviving and being a bald cripple for the rest of our lives...
Uncle Tulu will appreciate the compliment, clearly we are trying to be as cool as him.
Yes, but now we're a figure of enlightenment, much as the Sword Saint is a figure of enlightenment through the way of the sword.

Again, if this is going where I think it's going.
From a functional standpoint, A gives us more mastery over our qi and the ability to use it like regular neiggong and as our Yuanshi Hundun. But we'll see.

As for becoming snother Sword Saint... nah, I want a greater destiny for Jing.

Tribute

Arbiter
The Sword Saint is an enigmatic mysterious figure of enlightenment because he doesn't do much with it.

We're gonna go show those stodgy Orthodox types what for.

ScubaV

Prophet
Anyone else getting nervous?

Also, treave, please don't get hit by a bus or something.

Baltika9

Arcane

No, it's destroying what you have and also beginning to burn your body externally.
Ahahaha, yeah, beat that fucker before he beats us, I say. Ah well, I don't think B will win this vote. Does the "get to twenty votes and I close it down" thing still apply?

Last edited:

Tribute

Arbiter
I'm pretty sure everyone's nervous. That's why everyone's talking about how cool it's going to be once we get past this instead of about how we're probably going to die.

If we're dead, the LP is over and there's nothing left to talk about, so better to act like that's not going to happen, at least assuming we've stopped trying to convince each other to flop.

Jester

Arbiter

Beginnig to burn? Its because we lost part of qi and arent strong enough to resist it any more? Why process was delayed, is the important question.

Dmn i see connections for both options to be correct.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom