Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
TOME said:
I don't like D2A because we would ask the sword saint to help the cult, not stop the fight.
He'll be doing so to allow them to escape. They are not winning this engagement. And the Sword Saint does not kill.

Why are you against his help? 3 serves the same purpose, doesn't it?

I am fine with either.

The problem with D3 is that in their panicked state the cultists will lash out both at you and at their assailants, and as you'll be striking back at them, they will become even more confused and panicked. It is not going to end well for them.

Last edited:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I'm a little worried about the race traitor tag we get if we go with X2 now that the frathouse may be gone. But yeah, I'll edit my original vote to D3A>D2A, if I find it.

Nevill

Arcane
I think after the haze of bloodlust fades they would not be too proud of what they did. D case is really easy to sway in our favor.

ScubaV

Prophet
Well if Vahista bails on our three way as seems likely, then I guess I'll go for protector Jing. Flop to D2A.

Baltika9

Arcane
If we go with D2 why not do it D2B. I mean what help could the sword saint offer us in this choice? He's a wild card and he could do more harm than good.

Remind me what do we need him for?
Shagguan would be an awesome bonus in any operation, but he is unreliable because he can do whatever the fuck he wants to, as said by treave. He can abstain, or fight for us, or fight against us, or just leave because he's bored. Or have Yandi amuse him by fighting.

Thing is, D2 stands well enough on it's own legs, so his involvement is not essential to it's success, but would be a nice bonus if he does decide to help.

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, uh, that certainly isn't what Jing is going to tell them to do if he's going to the trouble of bailing them out. They won't magically become more competent on the spot just because he saves them once. How do you expect them to get to Yunzi without falling prey to the other orthodox fighters on the way?
I see, that's a little disappointing but it's not the only path we can take from D2. The good thing about it is that it will, guaranteed, do two things:
Take out Taishan and Kunlun from the fight. They are good enough at group fights to make the difference between success and failure, I remember the Taishan having good group formations among their students.
And it can succeed without Shagguan's assistance and only be strengthened by it.

RealDDc

Learned
This time I have to give my vote without browsing through the hundrets of comments, usually there are only a few worth the time anyways.
I expect the battle to be chaotic and a true test of our martial prowess, while still mitigating the risk of a full on fight against either BJ or Vashista because they will have and will continue to expend their energy on each other. Meanwhile as we delay/survive the battle we become stronger than them thanks to our qi draining, and finally truimph.
Hes got some good points and I can only agree to. Also from this three way battle Jing will most likely increase in skills.
I can expect B3 to turn into a 4 way brawl if Zhang gets here in time. Zhang vs Vahista and Jing vs Bai Jiutan.
That is also likely, we can't count on good luck, but we can't either count on bad luck. Zhang is pure wrath, hard to tell if it is good or bad luck if he appears, probably just a matter of perspective. Bad luck for the people that happen to stand in his path, good luck for those who don't.

B, 3, A

Rex Feral

Prophet
If we take the sword saint best thing that could happen is that we crush the taishan and kunlun immediately. We should have no problem doing that on our own, though it will take more time.

The worst thing that could happen however is that he either attacks us or Yunzi and Vahista, which would fuck things up pretty badly.

I say the risks outweigh the rewards and hope you guys decide to flop to second choice B, since with D2 he isn't vital to our plan.

Also about B3A, treave already stated it won't go into a 3-way brawl

Nevill

Arcane
Hes got some good points and I can only agree to. Also from this three way battle Jing will most likely increase in skills.
You mean, if Vahista does not bail on us and leaves us tête-à-tête with BJ?
It is also a possibility that should you enter the fight between Vahista and Bai Jiutian, Vahista will take the chance to make a break for it as per what you think his objectives are, attempting to join up with Yunzi and then charge past Guo Fu.

That is also likely, we can't count on good luck, but we can't either count on bad luck. Zhang is pure wrath, hard to tell if it is good or bad luck if he appears, probably just a matter of perspective. Bad luck for the people that happen to stand in his path, good luck for those who don't.
Except that Vahista is not worth Zhang's attention.

Rex Feral said:
The worst thing that could happen however is that he either attacks us or Yunzi and Vahista, which would fuck things up pretty badly.
Given his sentiments, I see zero reason for it. Well, at least for attacking them without attacking their opponents, too.

RealDDc

Learned
RealDDc, can you be swayed to D2A?
That is way to heroic for my taste.
Also even if not siding with the orthodox, the fire cult is an enemy to me. They stole Yunzi.
Isn't that a good thing? I think it is.

Rex Feral

Prophet
RealDDc, can you be swayed to D2A?
That is way to heroic for my taste.
Also even if not siding with the orthodox, the fire cult is an enemy to me. They stole Yunzi.

They saved Yunzi, or did you prefer she was dead?

RealDDc

Learned
Why? We can't take him on 1-on-1 yet, and there are 150 hostile pugilists around.
Why is it a good thing?
We can't take him one on one in a clean duel, and maybe never will be. He should be somewhat exhausted from fighting Vahista, we aren't bound to any duel rules and we don't need to hold back. I even see it as a chance.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Yeah, come on, you can't go wrong with saving kids. Only root would punish us for that choice.

Absinthe

Arcane
I don't remember any such comment, but I do remember Jing landing claw attacks on Guo Fu that did absolutely nothing, the very same claw attacks that he later used to scale rocky cliffs. Jing was going after Guo Fu pretty hard (nothing held back, remember?) and only managed to bust a few ribs or so. Jing is stronger since then and has nifty neigong tricks, sure, but that's irrelevant to my original point that still stands-- Guo Fu is way, way more powerful defensively than Xu Jing, yes? If Vahista doesn't care and can off him before we can bring up any objection to it, he has the same ability to do that to us if we annoy him by challenging him. In which case, if this is a valid objection against teaming up with the Fire Cult, then it's an absolutely awful one to face Vahista. So what is it?
Well, on the point of whether Jing could have killed Guo Fu:
Not holding back against Guo Fu just meant using all your strength, which would easily kill any normal fighter, but it doesn't mean you were striking with the intent to kill. It is precisely because you know that he (probably) wouldn't die that you could use all your strength. I'd say there is a bit of a difference here; in an actual deathmatch, assuming you really wanted to kill him, you might actually succeed at it.

On the point of being more powerful defensively than Jing against Vahista: I don't think that's true. Guo Fu's primary defense is using his neigong to endure blows. Here's another quote from treave:
edit: One last thing about Guo Fu and his neigong. As some of you may have noticed, his breathing and focus is essential to executing the skill properly. It is a very qi-dependent technique. What happened here is that you took the hard way and basically smashed yourself against him until it gave out. No one sane would actually take on a master of Jinzhongzhao that way, only a maniac would even try it. Most people attempt to overcome it via softer, more refined methods. Yuhe Finger, for example, would have allowed you to win more safely by disrupting his qi.
That means Guo Fu's powerful neigong-dependent defense would get disrupted by Vahista's fire temple qi, at which point he's done for. Xu Jing, on the other hand, favors evasion, and his qi is extraordinarily resilient against these attacks. Not to mention, Jing just learned how to use his neigong for qi absorption, so qi attacks are going to be even less effective now.

------------------------------------------------

Well if Vahista bails on our three way as seems likely, then I guess I'll go for protector Jing. Flop to D2A.
If we let him, he would probably get out, yes, but if we actually try to stop him, no:
Oh, right, it's not impossible to stop Vahista from running (if he does try it) if you join in B, even if it is B3.
And as treave points out, this is all assuming Vahista would try to escape in the first place. We don't know for certain if he would do that.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Yeah, and if we get between him and the Holy Maiden, he can steamroll us. Bad idea.

Absinthe

Arcane
I doubt that. From what we've heard from the beggars, they have been fighting since at least yesterday. If Jing jumps in with his top condition and attacks these fighters who have been getting injured, fatigued, etc. from all the fighting so far, then I think we stand a very good chance of winning this.

Zero Cred, are you sure you don't want to switch to B3 and just beat the shit out of both of them?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom