Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ah fuck, I actually meant the "Hardcore" difficulty.

I want to feel despair of running out of food, I want to feel the tension of being stuck in a wilderness, trying to find a town so you can heal up and save.
As long as I don't go full retard and make something like an all-bard party with speccing into INT, would you say the Hardcore difficulty is possible?

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ah fuck, I actually meant the "Hardcore" difficulty.

I want to feel despair of running out of food, I want to feel the tension of being stuck in a wilderness, trying to find a town so you can heal up and save.
As long as I don't go full retard and make something like an all-bard party with speccing into INT, would you say the Hardcore difficulty is possible?
Oh don't worry, I typed that previous post in a bit of a hurry and by the time I got everything straight, I forgot to finish answering the question :oops:

Yes, Hardcore in Lords of Xulima is possible with a minimum of willingness to learn and ability to roll with the punches. It will consistently throw a wrench in your plans; some players welcome this, as they prefer to be forced to adapt to new obstacles. Others prefer consistency and comfort; that is what regular difficulty settings as for.

This is a game made by devs who have been eating RPGs for breakfast since the early Wizardry/M&M days, so... the best way to enjoy it is to look forward to a challenge and play it like a survival game where resources are very precious (meaning; on higher difficulty settings).

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Fuck! That's it! That's what I wanted to hear!
You're a good salesman, you are. Man, fuck Grimrock 2. I can finish that some other day.

I'm going all over this one- the second I get stabilized, academics-wise. :oops:

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Applypoison
If I activate the Steam key you emailed me does that negate me getting a GOG code as well?
Not at all, mind. As a backer entitled to the DRM-Free version, it will all be yours in due time. We hope to have more to announce around the start of December, once the Linux version is ready.

(I heard you won something on the Codex raffle, by the way. Grats :P)

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Applypoison
If I activate the Steam key you emailed me does that negate me getting a GOG code as well?
Not at all, mind. As a backer entitled to the DRM-Free version, it will all be yours in due time. We hope to have more to announce around the start of December, once the Linux version is ready.

(I heard you won something on the Codex raffle, by the way. Grats :P)

Sent you a PM as I must have deleted the email with the Steam key :oops:. I still have the two with the DLC & Special Digital Rewards codes.

Renevent

Cipher
So about 12 hours in or so on normal mode...basic feelings:

-So far game is very fun. It kinda reminds me almost of playing the NES version of Final Fantasy (the first one) more than anything...albeit a much more difficult and deep version.

-Difficulty as mentioned above is up there. At least in the beggining. It's actually getting easier after you get the first temple. There was a point on the first map I almost rage quitted lol although not really because of combat but more couldn't really figure out where to go. At that point I was hitting a wall with multiple places where I couldn't progress, and trying to fight enemies I shouldn't have...made worse by the fact those enemies were insanely frustrating to fight (fucking mushrooms). Once I got past that part though, which was due to me missing a small path, I'm basically steam rolling along now though.

-Graphics are beautiful...love the art and stuff like the maps, enemies, etc.

-Sound is also great, and there's a lot of nice atmospheric sounds as you walk around and explore.

-Really enjoying leveling my characters and gearing them up. The loot is random but it appears it also get's generated once upon entering an area...so no save scumming which is good.

Anyways so far turning out to be a very fun game *thumbs up*

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
For the difficulty discussion: start on the middle setting ('Veteran'). It's what anyone familiar with RPGs should be playing at unless they want something that's pretty much a cakewalk. Harcore mode is probably more than doable if you've got the patience.

I got a question: I'm running Explorer, Barbarian, Paladin, Arcane Soldier, Divine Summoner, Thief. I'm having trouble getting at enemies in the backline and so am considering putting Gaulen in the backline with my summoner and my Thief, meaning I'll have Gaulen and the Thief maining ranged weapons (probably the Thief on Shurikens).

Is this a good idea? Are ranged weapons good enough that this will hold?

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
I got a question: I'm running Explorer, Barbarian, Paladin, Arcane Soldier, Divine Summoner, Thief. I'm having trouble getting at enemies in the backline and so am considering putting Gaulen in the backline with my summoner and my Thief, meaning I'll have Gaulen and the Thief maining ranged weapons (probably the Thief on Shurikens).

While you are really early in the game, I'd suggest you reroll - Arcane soldier is just putrid. He's worse than both soldier and a mage and can do nothing properly. Also, Thief is a so-so backline choice - it's a waste of his 3.5 hp per level, sorta, and shurikens outperform the bows so much that, in really tough combats, you never want to use bows (if you want to reach someone vital, that is). And, if you pump up shurikens consistently, you should have very few problems with reach damage. Not to mention that in a 4-2 formation you can easily have two highly-offensive heralds, Valvet & Taliet (if you're not greedy and don't go for the Golot one - going for that one is interesting, though). Finally, you don't have a cleric and a party without a cleric will just get fucked up over and over in the second half of the game. Apart from Gaulen, cleric is the only mandatory class, pretty much.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

While you are really early in the game, I'd suggest you reroll - Arcane soldier is just putrid. He's worse than both soldier and a mage and can do nothing properly. Also, Thief is a so-so backline choice - it's a waste of his 3.5 hp per level, sorta, and shurikens outperform the bows so much that, in really tough combats, you never want to use bows (if you want to reach someone vital, that is). And, if you pump up shurikens consistently, you should have very few problems with reach damage. Not to mention that in a 4-2 formation you can easily have two highly-offensive heralds, Valvet & Taliet (if you're not greedy and don't go for the Golot one - going for that one is interesting, though). Finally, you don't have a cleric and a party without a cleric will just get fucked up over and over in the second half of the game. Apart from Gaulen, cleric is the only mandatory class, pretty much.

I can still re-roll, but a few points:

1) Shurikens are ranged weapons, so don't they make sense from the backline? That was my plan with the Thief, at least.

2) Eh, it's OK that Arcane Soldier isn't optimal, it's not like the game is balls-to-the-walls hard anyway.

3) This is second time I hear that about the Cleric. Dammit, I better re-roll because of that.

4) With the summons, I'm thinking of a 3-3 line, using a backline summon and frontline summon. That's why I'm thinking of putting Gaulen on ranged duty.

Pope Amole II

Developer
1) Shurikens are ranged weapons, so don't they make sense from the backline? That was my plan with the Thief, at least.

2) Eh, it's OK that Arcane Soldier isn't optimal, it's not like the game is balls-to-the-walls hard anyway.

3) This is second time I hear that about the Cleric. Dammit, I better re-roll because of that.

4) With the summons, I'm thinking of a 3-3 line, using a backline summon and frontline summon. That's why I'm thinking of putting Gaulen on ranged duty.

1. They are, but the rogue is beefy enough so why not make him a frontliner? Besides, shurikens have much better synergy with swords than with ranged weapons. And ranged weapons are kinda horrible in damage dealing department. Shurikens, while plentiful, are not exactly infinite, so you'll have to use common attacks most of the time.

2. It's not that he isn't optimal - he's just a one-trick pony and his trick is trash. Believe me, you'll have more fun with either a simple soldier or something like a frontline bard (bards make excellent frontliners, btw).

3. Absolutely so.

4. In my opinion, 4-2 line works better with Summoners - frontline summons are just too mediocre whereas the backline ones are excellent. So I'd rather have two good ones, y'know.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Aight, I made a few changes, but the Arcane Soldier is here to stay. Gishes are my favourite thing in RPGs, it will literally cause me illness not to go with one. Can a Thief dual-wield daggers?

Pope Amole II

Developer
Aight, I made a few changes, but the Arcane Soldier is here to stay. Gishes are my favourite thing in RPGs, it will literally cause me illness not to go with one. Can a Thief dual-wield daggers?

Put him into the backrow with the bow, at least. Arcane archer is better than the arcane soldier - he's totally skill-starved as a class and archer, at least, doesn't need to spend on armor.

No dual-wielding daggers and thief should totally go for the swords - endgame daggers are pretty bad.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I have (left justified):

Paladin sword and Board, Adventurer Axes, Theif Sword and Board + Shruikens as a front line.
Mage, Bard Bows, Cleric Polearms as the rear line.

In this format, with the Bard at the rear center I can hit the whole party with buffs. The Cleric can hit all but all the way to the front right due to good reach with the polearms. Occasionally I switch my Paladin to the right side depending on enemy formations. Bard damage with the bow is not very good - he chips in but his buffs/debuffs are essential. He is also who I use to for scrolls, salve based heal-other, etc.

I may consider trying the bard on the front line and the Cleric in the rear center so her buffs can hit everyone.

Tolias

Educated
I must be blind, but I can't seem to find a way to view each party member's skills except during level up?

Also combat urgently needs more clarity, like getting detailed info about what each effect does/how much it lasts by hovering the cursor over it.

Apart from that, my first impression of the game is very positive.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I must be blind, but I can't seem to find a way to view each party member's skills except during level up?

If you talking about their current skills, hit up the inventory, and look to the right. There are some tabs there, some of them have your skills.

If you're talking about the future possible skills for each class, well... welcome to indie documentation. There is no way to see them :M

(to be fair, this game is documented far better than most indies)

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Okay, finally started legit playing it. Hardcore Ironman, no less.
Is "Explorer" the only class that can spec into roguey stuff like lockpicking and traps?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Okay, finally started legit playing it. Hardcore Ironman, no less.
Is "Explorer" the only class that can spec into roguey stuff like lockpicking and traps?

Thief can as well.

EDIT: Ironman? I can't find an Ironman setting? Otherwise I would have turned it on :negative:

Pope Amole II

Developer
EDIT: Ironman? I can't find an Ironman setting? Otherwise I would have turned it on :negative:

It's available only on the hardcore difficulty. And ironman in this game means saving only in towns. And it's pretty bullshit - the combat is too random for that. Through the majority of the game, the "to hit" chance of your fighters will be 60-70%, meaning you'll often fight like "ok, engaged into battle, first 8 or so attacks - all misses, kk, reload". Or, worse even, chains of 2-3 critical fails in a row. Or critical hits that never happen - I'm testing Golot summoner atm (it's awesome) and my barb with her 17% never crits. My soldier with her measly 6% crits more than barb does. Yeah, right.

I hate such random chance bullshit in a short distance sequences, tbh, as it adds nothing but extra reloads to the game.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
I've unlocked for my priest his first "prayer skill" (regen), but I can't see how to use that.
And for the "cure injuries" spell, it seems it doesn't work for bad injuries when a character is down during a fight.The spell description tells me it can't cure up to 20 injuries, but if a character has been down, we can't even know how many injuries he suffers when he rises again.Only a full day resting seems to be effective and heal all his injuries.Right? Can this upgraded spell fully restore from bad injuries?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hmm, does this game expect you to grind? I'm about done with all that steady encounters I can reasonably tackle in Velengard, and the encounters left are squarely out of my league (as in, my characters die before even getting their turn).

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Yep - graphics and music - I really liked that stuff in this game - the music specifically which I would turn up.

I don't want to sink another 40+ hours in this game but you guys get my juices flowing.

My memory is usually pretty bad -

Regen skill - I used in combat and would heal that char a few HP per round - was useful in some occasions.

Cure Injuries - was useful in combat as these can stack up against you real quick and left alone can decimate your front line.
If the char is down though - as in dead - it won't help.

I think there are a few items or spells that can "bring back to life" chars in middle of combat - not sure.

You are in for a great time - a game that surpassed my expectation - a smart professor fox of a game.

Pope Amole II

Developer
I've unlocked for my priest his first "prayer skill" (regen), but I can't see how to use that.
And for the "cure injuries" spell, it seems it doesn't work for bad injuries when a character is down during a fight.The spell description tells me it can't cure up to 20 injuries, but if a character has been down, we can't even know how many injuries he suffers when he rises again.Only a full day resting seems to be effective and heal all his injuries.Right? Can this upgraded spell fully restore from bad injuries?

You use it in combat, of course - you cast prayer as if it was a spell, you miss your turn, you gain hp & PP.
Cure injuries applies only to the simple wounds - some enemies will wound you, the icon looks like bones, iirc. Fatal wounds, gained from dying in combat, are something entirely else and only the final spell of the cleric (gained at lvl 50) will be able to fix them.

ED: oh, wait, you're talking about regeneration, not the divine prayer.

Hmm, does this game expect you to grind? I'm about done with all that steady encounters I can reasonably tackle in Velengard, and the encounters left are squarely out of my league (as in, my characters die before even getting their turn).

It pretty much does. Though in the starting area there's a rather narrow path to kill the first prince that you're supposed to undertake (I always said BS to that, broke through the Sorrentia's gate, ground up the valley of rocks & the green forest, then killed all those triple swodrmaster encounters, then got to the prince).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom