Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lords of the Fallen - action-RPG reboot from Hexworks

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I remember one comment somewhere: "Whenever I play these Souls copies I wanna reinstall the real thing again."

I mean...there's only so many times you can replay Dark Souls or Bloodborne. Maybe there are people out there who can replay them 20, 50, 100 times. But not me.

For me exploration is a big deal in these games and it's the primary reason I love playing new ones. And maybe most of them aren't 10/10 but I'm plenty fine with 9 o 8. Or even 7 (still well above average).

And if someone would rather replay DS1 for the 34th time, more power to him. I'll go for Surge or Mortal Shell or Nioh or LoP or Lords or any other new experience with a fresh world to explore.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Fair enough, but world design/layout is the one thing (atmosphere as well, but those are interconnected) which Dark Souls really is unsurpassed in to this day.

Last edited:

jaekl

Educated
Patron
I might play this after I beat redaxium 2. Hopefully it's less disappointing than armored core 6.

Harthwain

Magister
I'll go for Surge or Mortal Shell or Nioh or LoP or Lords or any other new experience with a fresh world to explore.
Indeed. I really enjoyed Surge for its sci-fi universe, which felt like a breath of fresh air in a genre dominated by fantasy. I mean, fantasy is not bad per se, but Surge was a welcome change and it was very well executed (at least for my taste).

Herumor

Scholar
So is there any environment variety to this game? From all the footage I've seen so far, everything looks grimy, rotten, swamp-like and just generally colored in various shades of brown, grey and red.

Jinn

Arcane
Only about an hour to go! I'll be playing this for the majority of the day today, so if anyone has any pressing questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise I'll probably leave some initial impressions once I get enough hours into it, on the PC version of course.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Seems it's on, unpacking rn.

Not gonna be able to play until late evening tho. Keep the impressions coming bros, but no spoilers plez.

Turn_BASED

Educated
Performance on PC is absolutely terrible for me. I’m getting hung up on loading screens, too. Also your fps gets locked to 30 in multiplayer. I’d say stay away until they fix these issues.

Mortmal

Arcane
Only about an hour to go! I'll be playing this for the majority of the day today, so if anyone has any pressing questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise I'll probably leave some initial impressions once I get enough hours into it, on the PC version of course.
How's the performance for you ? I am reading very bad things on steam, but you cant trust people there.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Booted it up just to try out the performance and stuff.

Starting cinematic is p. good, no problems.

After pressing New Game there's another one, this time it's terribly choppy for some reason. Really bad.
Then it's the customization screen which is also choppy and laggy. Shit, so it's true?

Game starts and it's smooth as butter. On my 4 years old Radeon 5700 XT I'm clocking a stable 70-80 FPS on Ultra. But I only played with it for 20 minutes or so, still in the underground starting area, might get worse outside, might not.

Game looks fucking gorgeous tho on Ultra, hoooly shit. Combat, animations, everything smooth and feels nice. Gotta wait for a few more hours to really test it out tho, too busy rn.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
I need to know if the shields are good, not like dark souls 3, and if there is poise and good heavy armor,, not like dark souls 3. Thank you for your time.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I need to know if the shields are good, not like dark souls 3, and if there is poise and good heavy armor,, not like dark souls 3. Thank you for your time.
As for shields, they work very differently from Souls. If you block, you mitigate only like half the damage. But you can recover the lost health by hitting the mob.
The way it works - say you continuously block, you get hit like 5 times and your temporary HP goes down to 1. But if you hit the mob blam, you instantly get all of it back. If YOU get hit however you die.
I really like the mechanics, it pushes you to be more aggressive and discourages turtling.

As for poise, not sure yet, didn't have time to try out different classes of armor. But mobs do have their poise meter, you can see it and if you deplete it you'll get a chance for a riposte.

Dropped to mostly negative with the latest batch of reviews. Not a great start for HEXWORKS.

YBk6oVk.jpg

jaekl

Educated
Patron
As for shields, they work very differently from Souls. If you block, you mitigate only like half the damage. But you can recover the lost health by hitting the mob.
The way it works - say you continuously block, you get hit like 5 times and your temporary HP goes down to 1. But if you hit the mob blam, you instantly get all of it back. If YOU get hit however you die.
I really like the mechanics, it pushes you to be more aggressive and discourages turtling.

As for poise, not sure yet, didn't have time to try out different classes of armor. But mobs do have their poise meter, you can see it and if you deplete it you'll get a chance for a riposte.
Mannnnn I am so sick of these anti-turtling haters messing with my fighting style. This game is gonna piss me off. Hopefully heavy armor is good at least. Or else I'm gonna be FURIOUS

Ravielsk

Magister
Booted it up just to try out the performance and stuff.

Starting cinematic is p. good, no problems.

After pressing New Game there's another one, this time it's terribly choppy for some reason. Really bad.
Then it's the customization screen which is also choppy and laggy. Shit, so it's true?

Game starts and it's smooth as butter. On my 4 years old Radeon 5700 XT I'm clocking a stable 70-80 FPS on Ultra. But I only played with it for 20 minutes or so, still in the underground starting area, might get worse outside, might not.

Game looks fucking gorgeous tho on Ultra, hoooly shit. Combat, animations, everything smooth and feels nice. Gotta wait for a few more hours to really test it out tho, too busy rn.
What DLSS/FSR setting are you using?

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Looking at the reviews of this game makes me think the From cult brain rot has reached Hollywood Scientology levels of penetration in the gaming sphere. It seems like no one actually knows why they like From titles, or even if they actually like them as opposed to blindly following the herd, so when they try to present some sort of intellectual deconstruction of the principles behind the genre, all that comes out of their mouths is some mild derivative of Newspeak.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
I like that they are video games rather than teen fiction dramas

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom