Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lords of the Fallen - action-RPG reboot from Hexworks

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It seems like no one actually knows why they like From titles, or even if they actually like them as opposed to blindly following the herd
We're herd animals, most people don't have strong opinions - or any, really - they just follow the leaders or join majorities to fit in. Perfectly natural, evolutionary pressures and such.

And yes, a lot of criticisms amount to "Didn't hit the mark", "Is below par", "Something is missing compared to FromSoft games".

From the first hour of play I can confidently say this - if Lords was marketed as Dark Souls 4 from the acclaimed developers From Software MOST people wouldn't notice anything (not from the first hour at any rate), they'd slurp it up and it'd be 10/10s wall to wall.

I guess it also shows how much of a Dark Souls ripoff this game is lel but I for one never gave a fuck. Every single game in this genre is a ripoff, more or less, with the potential sole exception of Nioh.

Ravielsk

Magister
FSR - Quality. Getting stable 70-90.

But only in the tutorial underground area so far. Apparently FPS slows down outside.
So assuming you are upscaling to 1080p that means the game is actually rendered at 720p, 960p if you have it set to 1440p. Either way for a 5700 XT that is fair level of performance considering the visual fidelity. A newer RTX card then should have no issues with 60fps native at 1080p/1440p if the performance scaled appropriately.

Based however on the steam reviews and the benchmarks available it looks like there is some serious bug in the rendering pipeline because those GPUs are clearly not hitting those framerates.

The Decline

Arcane
Seems interesting enough. I'll likely pick it up at some point. Currently still playing AC6 and just started NG++.

What a fascinating release. The hype was strong so I expected it to be a modest hit, but with the reports of performance issues on both PC and console I'm not so sure.

Jinn

Arcane
How's the performance for you ? I am reading very bad things on steam, but you cant trust people there.
Performance has been decent on High settings across the board for me with my aging Ryzen 7 2700X and GTX 1080. The game is gorgeous. I have no doubt they could go further with their optimization, but when you're dealing with a game that looks this nice, I'm not sure what people expect from their aging systems. As for those with higher end systems not performing up to their pay-grade, that does suck.

Anyway, I'm hovering right around 60fps with a few drops here and there. If you're working with a system that is comparable in age with mine, and want pristine performance, you'd probably want to wait. Otherwise, if you're chomping at the bit and still want to test it out, just make sure you have a refund option available wherever you buy it from. I'm hoping for further optimization patches in the coming days, but am overall satisfied and my gameplay is unaffected.

Jinn

Arcane
Oh yeah, I'm also curious how many people are trying to playing in Windowed Fullscreen mode, because that has been reported to have significant negative effects on performance too.

Ravielsk

Magister
What a fascinating release. The hype was strong so I expected it to be a modest hit, but with the reports of performance issues on both PC and console I'm not so sure.

The main takeaway from both videos is that this is obviously a UE5 issue. The engine was obviously not ready when a 3 year old console cannot handle it while outputting visuals that quite frankly do not look any better than what UE4 can do. In comparison with Lies of P the game does present a step up but its not a step up worth 1000€(current cost of rtx 4080/3090). Which is a very consistent trend since UE3, to sacrifice performance for technically impressive but visually flat renders.

The game very clearly lists 16gb of RAM and I quote "8GBs VRAM | NVIDIA RTX-2080 | AMD Radeon RX 6700" as recommended. Based on these videos that is bold faced fucking lie. Sixteen gigs of RAM is obviously not enough, a 8gb VRAM GPU is more like at the very edge of what can run the game and the supposed 1080p goal this is supposed to get you is apparently only with FSR(so its actually 720p).
These specs are more like what the devs wanted to target but obviously overshot by a mile. The fact they posted a "troubleshooting guide" that starts with "Use the “AUTO-SET” option" is just further proof of that. Mein negro you have everyone from 2080 to 4090 owners having issues with your game this is clearly not a settings issue.

Realistically games these days should all launch at 20€ at most at increase in price as they patch them to a playable state because at this point the launch version is more like a late alpha version of the game.

The game looks fun but I’m still on the fence. I’m less worried about the performance issues since those will get patched over time (minus the frame pacing). I just can’t get over how derivative it looks. Down to the fucking inventory UI. Shameless.

Jinn

Arcane
I'm just going to quote myself from the Lies of P thread.
Welcome to videogames. Successful games get replicated and their foundations get built upon. There has never been a time this hasn't been true in the history of videogames.
Yes it's shameless, because that's exactly what they set out to do and haven't hidden that fact for a second. They're trying to replicate a feeling that is (done well) in short supply, while expanding it and putting their own spin on it. If it's too much for you, then you probably wouldn't still be looking at the game with interest.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Game seems good but the world swapping mechanic isn't setting my world on fire.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Finally got around to playing some more, put about 2 hours in, whacked the first boss which proved quite difficult, needed about 12 runs at her. But it's late, it's been a long fucking day and playing as a Dark Crusader without shield it took a good few tried to time the parries right. I guess I could've go the good ol' dodging route but I really wanted to test the parry system.

I basically confirmed my first impressions - game is gorgeous, moves great, plays great, haven't had a single stutter or a bug. Lamp is fun, if only we could jog with it out so exploring is faster. I scoured the tutorial area and sometimes it was a slog shuffling around with the lamp. Otherwise sweet idea and execution.

Btw, talking about derivative - even I, by now a fanboy, grinned now and then how utterly unabashed the game is in copying Souls. But Jinn is right, ultimately it feels like a proud, loving homage than a malicious IP theft. It's really fucking well put together and I'm having a blast.

Elttharion

Learned
Xbox performance is horrendous.

Game looks pretty good, I will probably try a pirated copy to check how it runs on my PC since I am below the recommended req. Shame it doesnt have a demo.

FWIW they patched the Xbox version this afternoon. PC and PS5 launched with this patch.

The comments are nothing but people crying about PC performance :lol:

I'm just going to quote myself from the Lies of P thread.
Welcome to videogames. Successful games get replicated and their foundations get built upon. There has never been a time this hasn't been true in the history of videogames.
Yes it's shameless, because that's exactly what they set out to do and haven't hidden that fact for a second. They're trying to replicate a feeling that is (done well) in short supply, while expanding it and putting their own spin on it. If it's too much for you, then you probably wouldn't still be looking at the game with interest.
Alright man. Your Jedi mind trick worked. About to jump in. If I hate it I will never forgive you.

Jinn

Arcane
Alright man. Your Jedi mind trick worked. About to jump in. If I hate it I will never forgive you.
Hey man, I don't want to try to talk anyone into buying it full-price (I certainly didn't), especially not in its dubious technical state. I'm just saying, being put off by it simply because the game is derivative in parts to the series it's clearly trying to replicate is a bit silly, especially when the gameplay looks appealing to you. Anyway, from what I've seen so far, despite a lot of the aesthetic taking a cue from Fromsoft's, the setting really is doing a lot of its own things.

Anyway, hope it runs alright for you! Get that refund if it's not manageable.

abija

Prophet
From eurogamer review:
You choose a starting class from a typical selection and then there's an insubstantial character creator that leaves everyone ugly as sin.

The preset it started with was better than most games...

Hey man, I don't want to try to talk anyone into buying it full-price (I certainly didn't), especially not in its dubious technical state. I'm just saying, being put off by it simply because the game is derivative in parts to the series it's clearly trying to replicate is a bit silly, especially when the gameplay looks appealing to you. Anyway, from what I've seen so far, despite a lot of the aesthetic taking a cue from Fromsoft's, the setting really is doing a lot of its own things.

Anyway, hope it runs alright for you! Get that refund if it's not manageable.
I’m just joking around. I spent the day reading impressions and decided to give it a chance. Hope I enjoy it as much as the rest of you.

I have a 4070ti and 12th gen Intel processor. I should be fine on the performance side of things.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That Xbox video game me Dark Souls, Blighttown, Ps3 vibes, and not in a good way.

Jinn

Arcane
but the world swapping mechanic isn't setting my world on fire.
I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly. There are some incredibly good moments of exploration to be had with it. Like, really damn good.

The exploration in general has be amazing so far, and it's only getting better with each passing hour. I think I'm falling in love with this game.

AlwaysBrotoMen

Educated
As usual the most reused setting of all games - European fantasy bullshit and the most overrated games subgenre of recent times - Dark Souls. Hope the gameplay holds up well and looking forward to playing it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom