Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Lord British Kickstarter coming up - "Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:lol:

Saduj

Arcane
So, I've received word from certain sources (more than one) that this Kickstarter may end up being surprising...but probably not surprising enough.
Wild mass guessing time?

EA has licensed the rights to make a game with the Ultima name to him to try to reap some PR.

I'm pretty sure it's nothing like that. It's something to do with what type of game this is going to be.

"Old school" tile based graphics?

Good for shitty iPhone games......

Studio Fawn

Studio Fawn
Developer
And, I bet he easily goes over a million (even though he is crazy rich ~_~).

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, I've received word from certain sources (more than one) that this Kickstarter may end up being surprising...but probably not surprising enough.
Don't believe it. It will just surprise us with how utterly this project will be full of "fail"... F2P, MMO, social, gotta collect them all, etc.....

:keepmymoney:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't believe it. It will just surprise us with how utterly this project will be full of "fail"... F2P, MMO, social, gotta collect them all, etc.....

Well, let's just say that I know for sure that Kenneth's description in OP is partly wrong.

Which parts are wrong, I don't know.

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Well, let's just say that I know for sure that Kenneth's description in OP is partly wrong.

Which parts are wrong, I don't know.
The part where it's called an RPG game? :D

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All of those possibilities are full of decline and fail though. "I have been cured of cancer, now only ebola remains!" is not really happy news.

Stabwound

Arcane
Some interesting things on LB's twitter: https://twitter.com/RichardGarriott

I hacked this image together to remove some of the BS:

eu0EUC7.png

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
what are you ultima fans expecting anyway? it's not like he's gonna make a tile-based game with low-res pixelgraphics.

mindx2

Patron
what are you ultima fans expecting anyway? it's not like he's gonna make a tile-based game with low-res pixelgraphics.
Never asked for that or would expect it. So not sure where you get that. :roll:
I didn't think W2 would be a copy of the 80s graphics either but I am expecting similar gameplay.

What I see and hear about what LB thinks an "Ultimate" game would be includes crap I want no part of: social, multi-player, mobile, etc.

Studio Fawn

Studio Fawn
Developer
it's not like he's gonna make a tile-based game with low-res pixelgraphics.

Judging by some of the other big "old-school" kickstarters.....are you sure? :P

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I love how all these cash whores who utterly abandoned PC gaming are now hoping back to the trough since it's profitable again. Molyneaux, Schafer, Gilbert, and now Garriot. Who wants to bet we see a Warren Spector KS project within a year?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Never asked for that or would expect it. So not sure where you get that. :roll:
I didn't think W2 would be a copy of the 80s graphics either but I am expecting similar gameplay.

What I see and hear about what LB thinks an "Ultimate" game would be includes crap I want no part of: social, multi-player, mobile, etc.
I wasn't directing the question at anyone particular but people who considers themselves big fans.
The reason why I ask is because I don't know what people would expect to be transferred from the old Ultimas into a modern version. Not just graphics and presentation, but content-wise. The game was very driven by technological limitations, including its 'gameplay'.
Kind of feels like many people are building up hopes for a guaranteed let-down, because no-one seems to be able to pinpoint a complete set of features or give any sort of concrete description of the game they want (considering it can't be like the old Ultimas).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Still my best guess is he will steal borrow Chris Roberts idea of Star Citizen for this game. Of which I still don't understand how the fuck all that works in that game.

I'm beginning to think this is the most likely case.

I wasn't directing the question at anyone particular but people who considers themselves big fans.
The reason why I ask is because I don't know what people would expect to be transferred from the old Ultimas into a modern version. Not just graphics and presentation, but content-wise. The game was very driven by technological limitations, including its 'gameplay'.
Kind of feels like many people are building up hopes for a guaranteed let-down, because no-one seems to be able to pinpoint a complete set of features or give any sort of concrete description of the game they want (considering it can'tbe like the old Ultimas).
Zed, :itsnotrocketscience:
Check out Ultima V: Lazarus. People basically want something like that, just with a less shitty engine and better mechanics.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

I'd like for him to redo Ultima 9 so the gameplay is solid, the story isn't at the intellectual level of an adolescent hack, and we would get a true conclusion to the series that would tie up all the loose storylines and treat the lore with respect.

But we'll probably just get crap.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Thanks for the replies.
Check out Ultima V: Lazarus. People basically want something like that, just with a less shitty engine and better mechanics.
DA:O with Olde Englysh, keyword-based dialogue and expanded party size? ;)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Thanks for the replies.
DA:O with Olde Englysh, keyword-based dialogue and expanded party size? ;)

And an open world.

And a highly interactive "living world" with NPC schedules.

The Bishop

Cipher
$30m stretch goal: Richard Garriott will design the game for you while in space!

That would be surprising, but not surprising enough.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I'm a big Ultima fanboy, but judging from everything Garriot has said over the last couple years I don't expect much here. I'd be out of mind if we actually get pitched a spiritual sequel to Ultima 1-7 or UU 1-2 though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom