Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Lord British Kickstarter coming up - "Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues"

Alex

Arcane
I dunno, I could see myself backing this if they show they are making the single player aspect of the game very Ultima like. I will at least wait for an update or two before discarding it outright.
He actually puts a lot of emphasize on this in the Rooster Teeth stream.

Oh, I haven't had time to watch that yet. Is there a transcript?

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space

SophosTheWise

Cipher
I dunno, I could see myself backing this if they show they are making the single player aspect of the game very Ultima like. I will at least wait for an update or two before discarding it outright.

That should be in the pitch video.
Yes it really should. The pitch is very unclear - if you haven't watched the stream the whole MMO/SP thing is quite confusing. Not the best pitch video I've seen, by far.

Oh, I haven't had time to watch that yet. Is there a transcript?

I have no idea, but it's basically a lot of "I'm Lord British! TADA" and very little information. But the actual information is, at least, useful.

Koschey

Arcane
Was saving a little money this week in case Garriott surprised. Might be upping my Torment pledge instead now.

Wish I could up my Shadowrun pledge.
If you pledged using PayPal, you can upgrade to other tiers in the Shadowrun Returns web page.

By now, you can only upgrade pre-orders anymore, not pledges.
Well in the new update they said that you can upgrade Kickstarter pledges, so...

Yes, that was really bad (or really good?) timing on the update.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, the video was pretty vague - like I said in the other thread, I don't really understand what this game is trying to be. Is it a single-player game with a limited multiplayer component (like some of the IE games)? Is it an MMO that can be played offline and how will that work exactly? Is it just shit? I hope the updates will clear some of this up.

I did find it hilarious, though, how LB was talking about how awesome the Ultima series was while showing clips of Ultima IX. :lol:

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
It's a single player game with the ability to play online in a persistent world with close friends. Sounds fine to me, as a concept, though I'm sceptic of how good the execution will be. The Kickstarter page was pretty unclear. They are driving away a lot of potential backers.

jaybirdy

Educated
I'm not even going to play this, much less back it

My problem isn't this game, but whether I could ever stomach replaying an old Ultima game again. Those games were special, and it just doesn't make sense that they are a product of this soulless husk of a snake oil salesman. It just doesn't compute

What can change the nature of a Garriott?
Cold hard cash

AC Sleighter

Novice
It's a single player game with the ability to play online in a persistent world with close friends. Sounds fine to me, as a concept, though I'm sceptic of how good the execution will be. The Kickstarter page was pretty unclear. They are driving away a lot of potential backers.

It's going to be utter shit. Single player gets the shaft when multiplayer is added, and this isn't just some tiny little multiplayer to add. Multiplayer is a focus of the game, if not the focus. You aren't going to get a deep single player experience. It may not be an full MMO ( I also wouldn't rule out the bait 'n switch), but it's at the least some MMO/Single player hybrid. It's going to be a dead world, with uncompelling stories, with dress up houses and professions for the MMO crowd. "You make your own stories" is another way to say that they won't be building stories.

This has "shit" stamped all over it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well he's already over a third of the way there in only a few hours.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Multiplayer Online Game - which can also be played solo player / offline

Reads to me like single player is secondary.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I'm not saying it won't be shit, I just think the core idea could result in a decent game in the hands of the right team. I'm not backing this but I wouldn't be averse to trying it when it's released.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Yeah, I'm in the confused camp on what the game is focused on becoming. Half the shit I see/read makes it sounds like Ultima Online 2 and the other half make it seem like Baldur's Gate multiplayer option with some larping thrown in if it's your thing. I didn't pledge, but as more info comes out I'm either jumping on board or going to nerdrage hard.

Alex

Arcane
Well, I am pretty disappointed again. I finally got around watching some of the videos, and the combat looks awful. They can't well argue that the game is first single player when combat seems taken straight out of an MMO. I mean, even Ultima 8's button mashy combat would be preferable to this standing around and throwing abilities at each other. Also, are the conversations we have seen supposed to be representative of the finished game? Because that is awful little. At least give us the option to ask about people's names and jobs! Also, the overland exploration seems a bit mindless. I guess it is kind reminiscing of the older Ultima's, but the newer ones did that so much better...

But well, I was kinda surrised to see what looked like a mushroom straight out of Ultima 8 in the cemetery, so it isn't like my impression is entirely negative. Still, while not an MMO, I think they are doing this more for the Ultima Online crowd than the single player Ultima crowd.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Keep in mind this is just a Prototype Alex.

I still stand on that wasting developer time on these MMO mechanics (PvP, Housing, Crafting etc...) instead of a great single player game is a huge mistake.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
but the newer ones did that so much better...

Which newer ones?

0.jpg

:troll:

Capitalism

Educated
After all, the Human Decline Machine Richie Garry will probably collect all the jewgold he asked for. What a shame.

Meanwhile in Australia: Cleve promises to release extended demo of GRIMOIRE.

Alex

Arcane
Keep in mind this is just a Prototype Alex.

I still stand on that wasting developer time on these MMO mechanics (PvP, Housing, Crafting etc...) instead of a great single player game is a huge mistake.

Yeah, the prototype thing can explain the limited dialog. But not the combat or the exploration. Sill, you would think they would at least focus on it a bit, given how important it was for the later Ultimas.

Dhralei

Learned
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Meh pass. I'm past my MMO phase :rpgcodex:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom