Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lord Azlan is angry about Alpha Protocol

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
This being the Codex, I had a hunch somebody was going to say that.
Well duh. Some of us care more about playability than Bloom.

You do get bonus points for bringing up "nostalgia", totally never seen this argument before (didn't Sawyer himself use it with respect to Wiz 1?)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
(didn't Sawyer himself use it with respect to Wiz 1?)

He said that he'd consider it a role playing game given the time it was made, but not today. Nothing about nostalgia. Whether something has role playing or not has nothing to do with its quality.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Alpha Protocol is a 5/10
It's an EXCELLENT RPG
But a SHITTY action game
It's bearable if you don't pick Assault Rifles and try to play it stealthy (by abusing the shit out of the cloak skill), or being a kung fu badass
I replayed it 4 times just to be full Aggressive, Professional, Suave, and mixed in each seperate walkthrough. To me the characterization and writing was good enough to replay this crap 4 times, but I can't say the same for anyone else.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I always find it amusing when people bring up Wizardry 1 as "that unplayable old game," when in fact it's actually one of the most playable 80s games, gameplay-, balance- and interface-wise (unless you mind wireframe dungeons that much, in which case you can play the SNES version). Hence also the proliferation of Wizardry clones in Japan, which have pretty much exactly the same gameplay as Wizardry 1, tho' sometimes with a few additional bells and whistles..
Any idea of this is legit? http://www.oldgames.sk/en/game/wizardry-i-ii-iii-story-of-llylgamyn/download/5708/

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I always find it amusing when people bring up Wizardry 1 as "that unplayable old game," when in fact it's actually one of the most playable 80s games, gameplay-, balance- and interface-wise (unless you mind wireframe dungeons that much, in which case you can play the SNES version). Hence also the proliferation of Wizardry clones in Japan, which have pretty much exactly the same gameplay as Wizardry 1, tho' sometimes with a few additional bells and whistles..
Any idea of this is legit? http://www.oldgames.sk/en/game/wizardry-i-ii-iii-story-of-llylgamyn/download/5708/

Dunno, sorry. That does look like the SNES version though.

Gozma

Arcane
Why does alpha protocol feel so wretched? No matter how much I mess with mouse sensitivity and so on it feels like shit

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why does alpha protocol feel so wretched? No matter how much I mess with mouse sensitivity and so on it feels like shit
Thanks to SA I know you should make the following ini changes:
Backup your APEngine.ini (Documents\Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config), try changing the following settings

code:
MinSmoothedFrameRate=20
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=30
OneFrameThreadLag=false
UseBackgroundLevelStreaming=false
OnlyStreamInTextures=true

Fixing walking/crouching animations
In APGame.ini (Documents\Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config), try changing the following settings

code:
InteractDistance=250
CoverWalkSpeed=75.f
CoverRunSpeed=125.f
PlayerRotationSpeed=800000.0f
MoveSpeedNormal=240
MoveSpeedScoped=80
SprintSpeed=320

And after you do that you should probably make it read only (of course this means you can't make any other changes in the option menu).

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
If you loved Risen, there are only 2 games you should be playing right now, Gothic and Gothic 2 (with expansion). They are like better versions of Risen, although with older graphics, but basically best open world games ever made in many people's opinion*.
*Citation required.

Gothic 2 was okay, but the crap combat, tedious plot and various extra-curricular wastes of time meant that I never finished it or got anywhere close. Better than Risen? Maybe, but I can think of better ways of spending my rapidly diminishing days. Is it shaming to say I even enjoyed Oblivion better than the Gothics? Jesus, that makes me really want to reevaluate the decisions I've made in my life. :(

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Gothic 2 was great and I say that as someone who played it for the first time ever just 2 years ago, after I'd already played Risen. It's basically everything Risen was, only better. Not sure why anyone would hate it if they liked Risen.

As to Alpha Protocol, I think it's slightly overrated by some contingents only because it was so unfairly shit on by pretty much everyone on release. Had it been given 10/10 reviews and been heralded as an instant classic, I suspect Codex's opinion of it would be somewhat lower. Personally, despite it's many flaws, I like to evangelize about it because it had such great C&C and because I think its dialogue system was revolutionary (had never been done before, and still hasn't been done since). Apart from that, though, yeah it does have shit combat that becomes worse depending on which skills you choose. Although, I honestly don't think its combat was any better or worse than most action console games of its time.

All that said, I have no problem with it being rated that highly on Codex's best RPGs of all time list, mainly because I think Codex is much more willing to love flawed gems provided they do one thing that Codex values really well (in this instance, C&C). Which I agree with, as I've always hated the tendency in games journalism to assign games one over all rating. I think it overlooks the stuff that individual games might do well and tends to reward polished mediocrity over innovation.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Some of us care more about playability than Bloom.

Not according to the Witcher 3 thread. Last 219494 pages were essentially just whinging about the graphics which may or may not be downgraded on PC because of consoles hue hue hue.
Developer: Here, have some juicy fruit.
Customer: Great!
Developer: Sorry, fuck you, some other customer with more money can't use a peeler and we don't want to have to give separate fruit to people with differing abilities, so you get to eat shit and accept the same as them despite the fact that your ability to eat fruit is far beyond theirs.
Customer: Oh, well, it's still some kind of fruit - it doesn't matter that it's not the ambrosia flavour I was expecting.

Hey, at least it's coming out on the PC, right?:bounce:
Qualifier - I didn't exactly think this though before I started typing.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Alpha Protocol is a 5/10
It's an EXCELLENT RPG
But a SHITTY action game
It's bearable if you don't pick Assault Rifles and try to play it stealthy (by abusing the shit out of the cloak skill), or being a kung fu badass
I replayed it 4 times just to be full Aggressive, Professional, Suave, and mixed in each seperate walkthrough. To me the characterization and writing was good enough to replay this crap 4 times, but I can't say the same for anyone else.
This is a fair assessment. The combat/action part is truly dire most of the time.

Gothic 2 was okay, but the crap combat, tedious plot and various extra-curricular wastes of time meant that I never finished it or got anywhere close. Better than Risen? Maybe, but I can think of better ways of spending my rapidly diminishing days. Is it shaming to say I even enjoyed Oblivion better than the Gothics? Jesus, that makes me really want to reevaluate the decisions I've made in my life. :(

A little too edgy for my tastes, my man. If you enjoy playing Oblivion more than the first two Gothics, I cannot help you.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Should probably just diminish yourself now if you think Gothic 2 was only 'okay' and had crap combat.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Some of us care more about playability than Bloom.

Not according to the Witcher 3 thread. Last 219494 pages were essentially just whinging about the graphics which may or may not be downgraded on PC because of consoles hue hue hue.
Developer: Here, have some juicy fruit.
Customer: Great!
Developer: Sorry, fuck you, some other customer with more money can't use a peeler and we don't want to have to give separate fruit to people with differing abilities, so you get to eat shit and accept the same as them despite the fact that your ability to eat fruit is far beyond theirs.
Customer: Oh, well, it's still some kind of fruit - it doesn't matter that it's not the ambrosia flavour I was expecting.

Hey, at least it's coming out on the PC, right?:bounce:
Qualifier - I didn't exactly think this though before I started typing.

Well, dear "customers", it's either "play it the way it is" or "don't play it". No amount of whinging will change shit, ever.

And anybody deciding whether to or not to buy a game on the basis of how the graphics look in a compressed youtube video of unknown origin and based of an unverified version is just being a gullible moron.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is it shaming to say I even enjoyed Oblivion better than the Gothics?
It is not shaming, my friend. Not at all.

IT IS ABSOLUTE FUCKING HERESY YA GODDAMN TWIT BURN YOUR PC RIGHT NOW. AND YOURSELF WITH IT FOR GOOD MEASURE. :x :flamesaw:

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
It is not shaming, my friend. Not at all.

That's such a relief, I could cry tears of joy if I weren't so manly...

IT IS ABSOLUTE FUCKING HERESY YA GODDAMN TWIT BURN YOUR PC RIGHT NOW. AND YOURSELF WITH IT FOR GOOD MEASURE.

I was thinking earlier about why I disagree with konventional kodex kollective wisdom about the Gothics but I'm no wiser. I just found it a bit tedious and the combat was more or less stun-block or die. Risen was pretty much the same other than slightly different graphics but I quite liked that for some reason. Maybe it was just that it had a more novel setting. BTW, I'm not saying Oblivion is good by any means - it just kept me occupied for a long (long) time, most of which was spent picking flowers as far as I can remember. :oops:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was thinking earlier about why I disagree with konventional kodex kollective wisdom about the Gothics but I'm no wiser. I just found it a bit tedious and the combat was more or less stun-block or die. Risen was pretty much the same other than slightly different graphics but I quite liked that for some reason. Maybe it was just that it had a more novel setting. BTW, I'm not saying Oblivion is good by any means - it just kept me occupied for a long (long) time, most of which was spent picking flowers as far as I can remember. :oops:
How far did you get with Gothic?

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck

It's a long time ago now but I don't think I got very far. I remember playing Gothic 2 for longer but eventually got bored and couldn't work out what I should be doing so stopped playing. Oh horrors, don't tell me that I stopped for want of a quest compass??
:popamole:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron

It's a long time ago now but I don't think I got very far. I remember playing Gothic 2 for longer but eventually got bored and couldn't work out what I should be doing so stopped playing. Oh horrors, don't tell me that I stopped for want of a quest compass??
:popamole:
That, and Gothic is one of those few true zeroes-to-bad ass motherfuckers games. As in, the combat being clunky is largely a result of your character being a loser. It gets better once your character gets proficient at his weapon of choice.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
That, and Gothic is one of those few true zeroes-to-bad ass motherfuckers games. As in, the combat being clunky is largely a result of your character being a loser. It gets better once your character gets proficient at his weapon of choice.
I might give it another go, then, and learn to accept I can be sliced in two by a blind chicken early in the game.

Cadmus

Arcane
Alpha Protocol is basically unplayable. It's a horrible, broken piece of shit. What's not broken about its mechanics is just retarded. The story (which sucks cocks) and the great voice acting and CnC kept me playing I think till about 3/4 of the game but it was a chore. Fuck this game, seriously.
It's not the same as PS:T having a bad combat. In PlanetScape Tournament the combat is far less frequent, sucks far less, looks better, has more fun options etc. This game comprises of an unplayable gameplay and good cut-scenes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom