Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looks like Blizzard is announcing a new game....

Pegultagol

Erudite
Kortalh said:
I hate to be a skeptic, but do you have a link to that confirmation?

The official website still has a "?" in place of the newest game.

I am sorry for being ambivalent about the source. I got the information from a Korean gaming website that covers WWI. They got an access to the final rehearsal for the event and inferred the claim from what the script for the host of the event read. I can translate the article for you if you'd like but it will be revealed soon...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
critters.jpg

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I'm reading these summaries, it seems like every single unit is going to have special abilities like in Warcraft 3. This seems more like C&C3: In Space than Starcraft. And fuck rolling Zergling bombs, wtf. I hope this all isn't as stupid as it sounds. It's Fallout 3 all over again :x

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Guys make a stand with me
[01] <Sovy_Kurosei> I think the morph-into-bomb ability will be a high level researchable ability for the Zerg.
[01] <kingcomrade> I will refuse to use it

And you know I will follow through. I didn't use dryads in Warcraft 3 because they pissed me off. I'm going to make a pledge site and you all can join me in opposing the rolling zergling bomb thing.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
kingcomrade said:
They sticking with the same three races or are they adding in Space Elfs?

The Protoss are space elves. It's Space Orks that are going to be the 4th surprise faction in Starcraft 2.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
The zerglings look so cool. However, the Protoss units all look stupid. The marines have shields? why is the moon?

edit- and bayonets on their guns lol

edit2-
The Protoss are space elves.
No, Toss are Grays.

I don't actually mind the shields on the marines (it's an interesting idea, obviously with power armor you can shoot one handed), it's just that they, the marines, overall, don't look all that cool.

Kortalh

Liturgist
If anything, the Protoss are Tau. Which leaves plenty of room for an Eldar/Elf-based race.

Edit: Is anyone else disappointed that they went with the War3-like cartoony look?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
No, Protoss aren't based on Tau at all. I don't get anything near similar vibes and they don't "play" at all similarly (I'm not referring to Dawn of War, on tabletop Tau are all about shooting and are fairly vulnerable). As for cartoony, just look at the screenshots kreide posted.

Fez

Erudite
Similar art/visual direction to Warcraft 3, I'd say.

Kortalh

Liturgist
kingcomrade said:
No, Protoss aren't based on Tau at all. I don't get anything near similar vibes and they don't "play" at all similarly (I'm not referring to Dawn of War, on tabletop Tau are all about shooting and are fairly vulnerable). As for cartoony, just look at the screenshots kreide posted.

True, but they have the whole drones and hightech teleporty thing going on. Plus they've got the backwards legs and a similar yellow color. I don't really know a whole lot about the Tau, DoW or Tabletop. They just seem to have a strong resemblence stylistically.

The screenshots look fairly cartoony to me. Maybe it'll be different in motion. I suppose they're not really all that far off from the original SC's style, though. It seems like the in-game graphics and the CGI videos are almost set in different worlds -- in-game is a shiny, clean environment, while the videos are grimy and reminiscant of the Alien movies. Though, on the other hand, I'm glad it doesn't just look like DoW.

I've always been mildly annoyed by the akward scaling of the unit sizes, though. And this time around there's no technological limitations keeping them that way.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
True, but they have the whole drones and hightech teleporty thing going on.
High tech teleporty thing going on? I don't remember Tau being able to teleport or anything.

Anyways, like I said, Protoss are the Grays. They're the superior, super-advanced, intelligent race. Tau don't really have that whole "honor" thing going on, either, just a weird communistic greater good philosophy, and a Tau in close combat is a dead Tau.

KreideBein

Scholar
I must say, the siege tanks look utterly ridiculous. Also, I would have preferred a more gritty and dark look to the game; things just don't quite look "right" at the moment.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Yeah the intro cinematic looked great, it was all bulky-techy instead of sleek-techy which I thought was cool, but the game itself looks all shiny, bright, and clean, with lots of neon lights.

Kortalh

Liturgist
I guess I don't know enough about the Tau to make a very convincing case. :wink: Going from what little I know of them in DoW, the Tau have the invisible transport, which is somewhat similar to the Arbiter. And the drone carrier ship. And they have the end-game spellcaster guy, who seems awfully similar to the Templars -- even down to the hallucination ability.

Gameplay-wise, they're likely quite a bit different, but stylistically they're quite similar. As opposed to the classical Gray alien, which tends to be short and wirey with a huge head, that flies around in a saucer. Plus they always seem to be naked for some reason.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
You're thinking of Little Green Men, which isn't the same thing as a Gray. Anyways, Tau have little in common with Toss, I don't even think visually. I would say the Tau in DoW were, rather, probably influenced by Protoss. On tabletop, Tau look like robot toys from the '70s.

To tell you the truth, if Protoss were based on a 40k race, I would say they have the most in common with the Space Marines rather than Tau. Honor, psionics, close combat, high technology, superiority. Maybe if you mashed the concepts of the Gray together with the Space Marines Toss is what you would get.

Anyways. Fuck rolling zergling bombs

Kortalh

Liturgist
kingcomrade said:
Anyways. Fuck rolling zergling bombs

Hah, yeah. The Infested Humans bombs were enough, why give it to the Zerglings? Zerglings were useful even in the late game, if I recall, so it's not like they needed something to keep them handy.

They do look pretty awesome in that huge swarm like that, though.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Infested Humans were fine. But Zerglings are Zerglings, man! What they doing going all Muslim on us?

Zerglings were useful even in the late game, if I recal
Zerglings are even more useful late in the game than they are early game. Once you upgrad Adrenal Glands those little motherfuckers tear shit up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom