Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looks like Blizzard is announcing a new game....

I hate Blizzard and I love them in a way. I hate how they have been more detrimental to the RPG genre (although inadvertantly) than pretty much any company with Diablo and World of Warcraft and I really have a thing for Starcraft.

My hopes are for Starcraft 2....and I hope they don't do the fucking cliffhanger ending bullshit they did with the first. Maybe if cliffhanger endings were rare in games I wouldn't mind them, but they are fucking everywhere nowadays.

golgotha

Liturgist
D2 was a decent enough time sink, for what it was. Diablo was far superior in a lot of aspects, most certainly in atmosphere. I'd have to agree with KC in that D2 would punish the hell out of a player if they weren't aware of the need to follow a specific build style. I remember playing a Barbarian in SP and being completely fucked by the time I reached Act V simply because I wasn't aware that the game was so strict. I really hated that, especially given that it meant any class would only have two or three suitable builds, even less as they were limited by your item stash.

Atrokkus

Erudite
I really hated that, especially given that it meant any class would only have two or three suitable builds, even less as they were limited by your item stash.
Err who told you that? There are many viable builds for each class, *depending on your objective* -- whether you want to duel someone, or fight monsters, do item runs, do PKing, etc.
Why don't you like the restrictive gameplay in this sense? It's not a real RPG for exploration and story, it's an actionrpg with great character planning elements. that's the whole idea -- to make an effective killing machine. Making it less "restrictive" equals to dumbing it down, just like real RPG franchises are dumbed down to the level of simple fragfests.

D2 is just too easy
Haha, try playing it on Hell difficulty, patch 1.10 and beyond. Even "safe" builds like necro summoner are not completely carefree in such harsh environment -- lose your guard for just a second and you get whacked.. or become obsolete if you make a mistake in your skill/stat distribution.
Sure if you expect normal difficulty to be "challenging" then... well... i don''t know, you dont dig this game at all then. The difficulty modes are not optional modes for the hardcore bunch like in other (esp., singleplayer) games; they are like the extention of the game, the arena for your character to grow up. You cant reach high levels in normal difficulty, you know.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Playing on Hell difficulty is just an artificial inflation of a game that's too easy. Taking an easy game and tripling everything's damage doesn't make the game challenging.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Playing on Hell difficulty is just an artificial inflation of a game that's too easy. Taking an easy game and tripling everything's damage doesn't make the game challenging.
Oh yes it does. It's not just damage/hp increment, it's also new abilities like monters have random element immunities, which is a very important aspect to deal with when playing a sorceress or some other elemental class.
Or maybe you have some otehr definition of challenge? Maybe you need puzzles?

golgotha

Liturgist
Atrokkus said:
I really hated that, especially given that it meant any class would only have two or three suitable builds, even less as they were limited by your item stash.
Err who told you that? There are many viable builds for each class, *depending on your objective* -- whether you want to duel someone, or fight monsters, do item runs, do PKing, etc.
Let's look at a Paladin, for example.

PvP - Smiter, FoH, Zealot or Hammerdin.
PvM - Hammerdin and Zealot.
MFing - Hammerdin. Smiter for Torches.

The only other build would be a Auradin, but thats for people who would rather not actually play the damn game. The sad part is, this is the second most diverse class aside from the obvious Sorceress. When you get to Assassins and Druids theres really only two builds worth a damn in each class.
Why don't you like the restrictive gameplay in this sense? It's not a real RPG for exploration and story, it's an actionrpg with great character planning elements. that's the whole idea -- to make an effective killing machine. Making it less "restrictive" equals to dumbing it down, just like real RPG franchises are dumbed down to the level of simple fragfests.
Restrictive in a sense that only those builds will be viable in game, especially when soloing. More varied loot would give you a better opportunity to try different builds. Due to the generic unique systems -- +1 All skills on almost all but class based items -- you don't see specialized builds based on uniques, aside from maybe certain Druid builds.

D2 is just too easy
Haha, try playing it on Hell difficulty, patch 1.10 and beyond. Even "safe" builds like necro summoner are not completely carefree in such harsh environment -- lose your guard for just a second and you get whacked.. or become obsolete if you make a mistake in your skill/stat distribution.
Sure if you expect normal difficulty to be "challenging" then... well... i don''t know, you dont dig this game at all then. The difficulty modes are not optional modes for the hardcore bunch like in other (esp., singleplayer) games; they are like the extention of the game, the arena for your character to grow up. You cant reach high levels in normal difficulty, you know.
1.10 was easier than shit with a decent Lagomancer. I used to be able to solo Hell in full games. Just don't pick shitty skills like Skelemages or any golems besides clay. Hammerdin can be even easier with a loaded merc.

almantas

Novice

Atrokkus

Erudite
golgotha, what about Avenger? he might be a bit underpowered but is still a viable build capable of taking on ANY monster in hell, and having some very serious tri-ele damage. Plus, he's perfect in parties with sorcs (conviction)

Restrictive in a sense that only those builds will be viable in game, especially when soloing. More varied loot would give you a better opportunity to try different builds. Due to the generic unique systems -- +1 All skills on almost all but class based items -- you don't see specialized builds based on uniques, aside from maybe certain Druid builds.
You kidding? What about bearbarbs and whirlwind assassins? There are lots of item-dependent builds out there
Besides, is there a game where there are LOTS of viable builds? That's impossible man, there will always be overpowered ones and those less capable ones.

1.10 was easier than shit with a decent Lagomancer. I used to be able to solo Hell in full games. Just don't pick shitty skills like Skelemages or any golems besides clay.
Sure it's one of the safest builds, no arguing that. One of the most fun to play, though -- very fun using crowd-control curses and shit.

Pegultagol

Erudite
It's been confirmed that the next Blizzard games will be an RTS based on Starcraft universe.

Dustin Browder is heading the project. He has previously worked as a lead developer on C&C: Generals franchise.

Kortalh

Liturgist
I hate to be a skeptic, but do you have a link to that confirmation?

The official website still has a "?" in place of the newest game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Jesus christ, there's one day left before they reveal the game, enough with the pointless speculations.

Pegultagol said:
Dustin Browder is heading the project. He has previously worked as a lead developer on C&C: Generals franchise.

If that's true then bonkers. WTF happen to the original team?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BigWeather said:
Most of pre-WoW Blizzard is gone. =(

I know that most of Blizzard North is gone (if Guild Wars and Hell Gate London is an indication of the kind of talent they lost, i'd say good riddance too), but what happened to Blizzard proper?

Ho, and people begun to leave the company after WoW was already well into development, so careful with the 'pre-WoW' shit...

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
normal_IMG_2525.jpg

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Kingston said:
I know its just me hoping, but notice how the dates on the site correspond to the year they were released. Since the unknown one has 2007 on it, perhaps it'll be released then and has been in development for quite some time.

Extremely unlikely. Blizzard is known for their massive beta testing before releasing a game, which means the game is at least one year away, assuming they are going to give away betas right after announcing it, which is also not likely to happen.

Except a 2009 release, and that's being optimist.

golgotha

Liturgist
Atrokkus said:
golgotha, what about Avenger? he might be a bit underpowered but is still a viable build capable of taking on ANY monster in hell, and having some very serious tri-ele damage. Plus, he's perfect in parties with sorcs (conviction)

You kidding? What about bearbarbs and whirlwind assassins? There are lots of item-dependent builds out there
Besides, is there a game where there are LOTS of viable builds? That's impossible man, there will always be overpowered ones and those less capable ones.

1.10 was easier than shit with a decent Lagomancer. I used to be able to solo Hell in full games. Just don't pick shitty skills like Skelemages or any golems besides clay.
Sure it's one of the safest builds, no arguing that. One of the most fun to play, though -- very fun using crowd-control curses and shit.
We're going to have to agree to disagree, I guess. I feel it was much too constricting on custom, experimental builds especially due to items. I guess thats where Guild Wars spoiled me. You could try countless different builds and if you figured them out enough, you could get almost everyone to be productive. This being because there aren't any godly items, items of a quality that once you obtain them its almost like you're ten levels higher. All the items were very down to earth, forcing you to lean on your ability to build a efficient character. I've never seen a game where you could do something as simple as changing your secondary profession could drastically alter your play style and experience such as it could in GW. Then again, thats much more team based than D2 is, so its tough to compare the two.

Lyric Suite said:
enough with the pointless speculations.
I bet it's a holocaust simulator, but with stock fantasy creatures. The Nazis are Orcs, Jews are rats, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom