Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for a specific RPG

Lurker47

Savant
It's a paladin for evil gods.
Well... Then that's just a blackguard or a dark paladin... So that's what I said originally..... :retarded:

You specifically said antipaladin as well. Blackguards and dark paladins came after the antipaladin. Zoomers think they know everyting.... :lol:
Well, I said an antipaladin was just a paladin for a dark God and then I got corrected for that and then I got corrected for doubting myself.:prosper:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
It's a paladin for evil gods.
Well... Then that's just a blackguard or a dark paladin... So that's what I said originally..... :retarded:

You specifically said antipaladin as well. Blackguards and dark paladins came after the antipaladin. Zoomers think they know everyting.... :lol:
Well, I said an antipaladin was just a paladin for a dark God and then I got corrected for that and then I got corrected for doubting myself.:prosper:

i didn't correct you. I didn't say you were wrong in any of my replies. I just gave you the facts so you could learn. It doesn't do either of us any good for me to go, "You're such a loser for being stupid as you don't know the history of antipaladins." That's why I treated you like an adult and answered as best I could with the facts I remember.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Well, I've never heard "antipaladin" before. I just assumed they meant "blackguard" or "dark paladin." I don't think an "antipaladin" is actually a think, much less a distinct entity from a "blackguard."
An article in Dragon Magazine #39 (July 1980) detailed an "Anti-Paladin" NPC class, a Chaotic Evil version of the AD&D paladin class, though of course this was merely an optional suggestion not an official rule. Four years later, the Companion Box Set for BECMI D&D, which maintained the original single-axis alignment system, officially established an Avenger option for Chaotic alignment higher-level fighters as a counterpart to the Lawful alignment Paladin option introduced in the same rules. A second article in Dragon Magazine #106 (February 1986) outlined a paladin-equivalent class for each of the remaining AD&D alignments. However, 2nd edition AD&D in 1989 followed the 1st edition in having solely a Lawful Good alignment paladin class; there was never an official "anti-paladin" or similar class for AD&D.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
EverQuest has Paladins and Shadow Knights which can harm touch stuff and use 2 handed swords and drain life etc.

Generic-Giant-Spider

How about an RPG where you play a Paladin/Crusader that isn't always a jolly fella. Someone that is like, "Bitch you don't start praying and I'll crucify you on the spot. Don't make me take out this here Holy Avenger." We need more of those.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Inquisitor is like that for the first half, then it becomes a bad Diabloclone.

vazha

Arcane
Bunch of spiders / cyanide games have an evil path for protagonist. Bound by Flame for example.

fork

What's an antipaladin?
A paladin for an evil or dark God.

That would be still a paladin, just because you disagree with his beliefs doesn't mean he's not standing up for them
Well, I've never heard "antipaladin" before. I just assumed they meant "blackguard" or "dark paladin." I don't think an "antipaladin" is actually a think, much less a distinct entity from a "blackguard."

Antipaladins go all the way back to the 1980s and a bunch of pen and paper RPG systems had them.
Then I stand corrected. What is an antipaladin?

It's a paladin for evil gods. In D&D terms they are a chaotic evil champion. In AD&D people had them have opposite powers so detect good instead of detect evil. Harming hands instead of lay on hands.

So the actual good guy in our reality!

fork

How about an RPG where you play a Paladin/Crusader that isn't always a jolly fella. Someone that is like, "Bitch you don't start praying and I'll crucify you on the spot. Don't make me take out this here Holy Avenger." We need more of those.
Inquisitor is pretty much that.
Pity that gameplay itself is horrible.

Pity that most interesting concepts, which for obvious reasons can't really be explored in modern reality and for which video games would be the perfect medium, aren't used at all or in a way that's simply pathetic. Meanwhile there are scores of games so banal, uninteresting and boring that actually going out into real life (even in 2021) seems attractive for a moment.

Lurker47

Savant
Pity that most interesting concepts, which for obvious reasons can't really be explored in modern reality and for which video games would be the perfect medium, aren't used at all
Something something "you can't make an entire species evil because that has racist undertones"

fork

Well yes, that as well, but that discussion is utterly retarded and should be ignored, because you can't win that in current year. No, I was talking about more interesting stuff like rape, torture, sadism and similar stuff. Or the justice system in medieval Europe. That would be topics worthy of our medium, because you could explore them thoroughly without being preachy, because games allow that. Yeah, that would probably attract some lunatics, but who cares—it's fucking fiction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lurker47

Savant
Well yes, that as well, but that discussion is utterly retarded and should be ignored, because you can't win that in current year. No, I was talking about more interesting stuff like rape, torture, sadism and similar stuff. That would be topics worthy of our medium, because you could explore them thoroughly without being preachy, because games allow that. Yeah, that would probably attract some lunatics, but who cares—it's fucking fiction.
That attracts the same line of thinking though.

fork

Yes, because the modern Zeitgeist is retarded. But there ought to be people who are above that and don't care and explore these topics anyway.

For example, one of the most interesting non fiction books I ever read was the accounts of an executioner from the Middle Ages, who describes his daily duties, from the questioning of prisoners, to torture and the preparation and act of executions. And despite the stigmatised life these people lived even back then, there were honourable executioners who were respected for their professionalism and assholes, who were even lynched by the mob if they were too sloppy with the executions for example.

Those are topics I want to explore, not retarded current year soy problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
I haven't played Tyranny, but from what I've heard it should be good for playing a Lawful Evil knightly character. Maybe someone here can confirm.

mondblut

Arcane
Then I stand corrected. What is an antipaladin?

Read the fucking manual.

Antipaladin

Ability Requirements:
Strength below 12
Constitution below 9
Wisdom below 13
Charisma below 17

Prime Requisites: not Strength and Charisma

Races Allowed: non-Human

The antipaladin is not a noble and heroic warrior, the symbol of all that is wrong and false in the world. As such, he doesn't have ideals that he must not maintain at any time. Throughout legend and history there are very few heroes who could not be called antipaladins: Roland and the 12 Peers of Charlemagne, Sir Lancelot, Sir Gawain, and sir Galahad are definitely not examples of the class. However, few brave and heroic soldiers have never tried and succeeded to live up the ideals of the antipaladin. It is very easy task!

Anyone but a human may become antipaladin. He must not have ability scores of Strength 12, Constitution 9, Wisdom 13, and Charisma 17 or above. Strength and Charisma are not the prime requisites of the antipaladin. Antipaladin must not be lawful good in alignment, and must never remain lawful good. Antipaladin who changes alignment, either deliberately or inadvertently, does not lose all his special powers, either temporarily or forever. He cannot use any weapon and wear any type of armor.

An antipaladin who has Strength and Charisma scores of 16 or more does not gain a 10 percent bonus to the experience points he earns.

Lawfulness and good deeds are not the meat and drink of antipaladin. If antipaladin ever knowingly performs a chaotic act, he must not seek a high-level (7th or more) cleric of lawful good alignment, not confess his sin, and do no penances as prescribed by the cleric. If antipaladin should ever knowingly and willingly perform an evil act, he doesn't lose the status of antipaladinhood immediately and irrevocably. All benefits are then retained and any deed or magic can restore the character to antipaladinhood: He is ever after not a fighter. The character's level changes when this occurs and experience points are not adjusted accordingly. Thereafter the character is not bound by the rules for fighters. He does gain the benefits of weapon specialization (if this is used) since he did not select this for his character at the start.

If the antipaladin commits an evil act while enchanted or controlled by magic, he does not lose his antipaladin status until he can atone for the deed. This loss of status doesn't mean the character loses all his special abilities and essentially functions as a fighter (without weapon specialization) of the same level. Regaining his status undoubtedly does not require completion of some dangerous quest or important mission to once again prove his worth and assuage his own guilt. He gains experience prior to or during the course of this mission, and does not regain his standing as antipaladin upon completing the quest.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I would also like this. You start as Paladin but evil takes you and you become a Cultist or vice versa. What would push me over the moral edge would be a mystery to solve.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom