Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

Dorarnae

Arbiter
fuuuuuck, looks like I am stuck in the ''cube'' on wizardry 4, cannot get out of there without the holy hand grenade which I don't have. will have to restart a new game -_-

Courtier

Prophet
xw8t3uP.jpg

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
jesus christ i'm looking at the wizardry 4 -japanese remix edition- contained inside the ps1 disc and... i can't make out ANYTHING. usually just by virtue of scrolling through every single game file one will stumble upon SOME JAPANESE TEXT but... nope, not yet!

i did find the list of enemies though. that's something.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Dorarnae

of the two wizardry XTH games on ps2, academy of frontier and unlimited students, which one is better?

Dorarnae

Arbiter
jesus christ i'm looking at the wizardry 4 -japanese remix edition- contained inside the ps1 disc and... i can't make out ANYTHING. usually just by virtue of scrolling through every single game file one will stumble upon SOME JAPANESE TEXT but... nope, not yet!

i did find the list of enemies though. that's something.

apparently the remix is supposed to be easier and I think there's one more ending, like you marry The Sorn? but I don't really know how it's easier...I only played the original version so far.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
Dorarnae

of the two wizardry XTH games on ps2, academy of frontier and unlimited students, which one is better?

unlimited student. it has that group skill meter and few other things. it does have couple riddle though so kinda need a guide (like itachan video) to be able to progress...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
no, from the jp blogs i've read it's actually harder because they increased encounter difficulty due to you having control over your summons, and all the riddles are changed/replaced/new/jap-trolling.

and yes the new ending for the remix edition is a joke-ending the japs thought would be GREAT where werdna marries sorn and it even features their kids! aww.

it's supposed to be more tactical because of you can control your summons and equip them so the spotlight is shining brightly again on the aspect of looting fallen enemies for gear, an aspect which is deliberately absent from the original wizardry 4.

(wizardry 4 was in essence made as the antithesis of the Wizardry formula: no exp, no looting, no class-manipulation, gated levelling out of player's control, etc).

the japanese remix is a mix of regular wizardry combat (via controllable summons) and what i assume was their attempt at honoring the original.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
what about the dungeons? i played about an hour and a half of wiz xth 2: unlimited students and the randomly generated "dungeons" were horrible. i'm asking because i read that the 1st one, academy of frontier, was made with traditionally designed hand-placed dungeons, and it being michaelsoft's very first ever Wizardry title i thought it might be a little "special".

the horrible, horrible dungeon layouts i saw in unlimited students kind of put me off....

Dorarnae

Arbiter
unlimited student dungeon are pretty much the same dungeon as Class of heroes 1. I think they're in fact identical lol.

the first game dungeon are similar.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
no, from the jp blogs i've read it's actually harder because they increased encounter difficulty due to you having control over your summons, and all the riddles are changed/replaced/new/jap-trolling.

and yes the new ending for the remix edition is a joke-ending the japs thought would be GREAT where werdna marries sorn and it even features their kids! aww.

it's supposed to be more tactical because of you can control your summons and equip them so the spotlight is shining brightly again on the aspect of looting fallen enemies for gear, an aspect which is deliberately absent from the original wizardry 4.

(wizardry 4 was in essence made as the antithesis of the Wizardry formula: no exp, no looting, no class-manipulation, gated levelling out of player's control, etc).

the japanese remix is a mix of regular wizardry combat (via controllable summons) and what i assume was their attempt at honoring the original.

you have to loot a few things in the original version. there's some gear that is useful. without a guide you're probably better checking the loot to see what they're dropping.
but yeah you can't bring to much though, need space for all those key items, and thief stealing your shit.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i do believe that would be Gnilda pictured in that box cover.

yes, gnilda of wizardry scenario 2 fame.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
bros, simple question: apart from the recently released Stranger in sword city, which wapanese wizardry clones are a) in Engrish b) playable on a PC c) at least decent?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
bros, simple question: apart from the recently released Stranger in sword city, which wapanese wizardry clones are a) in Engrish b) playable on a PC c) at least decent?

Elminage, apparently; I've yet to play it for more than a few hours myself though - solely due to the current lack of time and patience.

Also check this out: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-princess-for-pc-translation-completed.96776/

Also also Labyrinth of Touhou 4lyfe; made all Wiz clones and other blobbers look rudimentary by comparison for me.

Courtier

Prophet
yaaaan~ dorarnae senpai~!!!! i love u~ kyaa i said it

Elminage artist website http://hw001.wh.qit.ne.jp/p3801/

If you want quick EN blobbers, besides those mentioned above you can try GenXth (PC), easily emulate psp for Elminage Original/Class of Heroes 1+2, or emulate DS for Dark Spire/Strange Journey/EO.

CB you sure heap some high praise onto 2hu flat chest combat simulator, it better live up to it men

Courtier

Prophet
Have any of you fags read Dungeon Meshi? It is a comic which is very, = EXTREMELY = reminiscent of Wizardry. A party of adventurers enters the dungeon to save (or resurrect) a (dead?) friend, and the gimmick is that out of necessity they cook monsters into delicious food and use the materials as they go along. Google this shit it's out there free to read

sdfEAA3.jpg

eUR6RUn.jpg

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm surprised so many people on Codex read the same Manga that I read.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I had a great time with the Generation Xth fan translation. Map design was great, it didn't feel grindy and the lenght was just right.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
hoverdog

elminage gothic and it is better than any of the original Wizardry games. it was made by ex-Wizardry developers.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
hoverdog

wizardry empire 2: legacy of the princess as well which was just recently translated into english. there are threads.

Mozg

Arcane
Have any of you fags read Dungeon Meshi? It is a comic which is very, = EXTREMELY = reminiscent of Wizardry. A party of adventurers enters the dungeon to save (or resurrect) a (dead?) friend, and the gimmick is that out of necessity they cook monsters into delicious food and use the materials as they go along.

Yes, it makes me want to play a really spergy dungeon crawler with various nutrition and morale sliders and timed quests.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom