Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Loking for old adventure games...

Schattenjäger

Scholar
...that I must have missed. After following the Clock Tower LP I'm convinced I must have missed a few hidden gems, even though that game is for the SNES and I've never owned one.

I've played and really enjoyed:

- All the Lucas Arts games
- The Gabriel Knight Series
- The Broken Sword Series
- Beneath a Steel Sky
- All of the Legend games
- Blade Runner

And now I want MOAR of that classic adventure goodness. I tried playing a lot of the new shit in the last couple of years, but it all failed to deliver. I'm looking for old gems from obscure developers I might have missed. And maybe new games that are worth playing. I'm sure you will help me.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Try out all the Quest games by Sierra.

King's Quest, Space Quest etc.

I mostly enjoyed the KQ and SQ games. Also Leisure Suit Larry. The older games of those series have either official or fan remakes so be sure to grab those. Also Quest for Glory.

And what do you mean by "all" Lucas Arts classics? Does that include Full Throttle and Loom?

Schattenjäger

Scholar
Yeah, I mentioned in the Gabriel Knight LP thread that I haven't played the other sierra games, but what I got back is that they were really not that good. I will check them out though.

I want the REALLY good stuff though. I'm aware there are a lot of old and obscure adventure games, and it's hard finding what's really good and bad yourself without playing because of the mixed and untrustworthy reviews one can find. I played a lot of new adventure games after reading swooning reviews... and was very disappointed. Judging by the LP's the locals here have a similar taste in adventures to my own( maybe because of the fact I also like rpg's).

And yes, I've played all the Lucar Arts games, even Monkey island 4.

DriacKin

Arbiter
The Longest Journey
The Last Express

Among the new shit, I thought 'So Blonde' had some pretty good humor and dialogue.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Judging by the LP's the locals here have a similar taste in adventures to my own( maybe because of the fact I also like rpg's).

It's mostly due to the fact that Codex primarily caters to PC RPGs; and since most of the old adventure games were on the PC, many of us grew up with these games.

Schattenjäger

Scholar
DriacKin said:
The Longest Journey
The Last Express

Among the new shit, I thought 'So Blonde' had some pretty good humor and dialogue.

Ah played them both and loved them, but forgot to add them to the list. Played the sequel to the Longest Journey too... quite the disappointment.

I will check out So Blonde, but isn't it kind of childish? Like Vampyre Story?

Schattenjäger

Scholar
Thanks, just what I was looking for.

Dark Seed

Is this good? I like Moebius, but I remember reading mixed reviews that put me off playing it.

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

:shock:

How come I never heard of this one? Tell me quick, does it RAEP Ellison's work or is it good?

Post Mortem

Played it. Fail. Played Still Life too. Fail.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Good suggestions so far, but let me add those:
Tex Murphy adventures, especially Pandora Directive, are awesome.
Beneath a steel sky, free and playable with ScummVM.
Discworld Noir is a must-play too.
Veil of Darkness is more of an adventure than a RPG and I love this game.
The Neverhood is a great experience.
Conquest of Longbow is probably my favourite Sierra game.
KGB is really hardcore but good.
You can try Dynamix games too, they have something special.

Pretty much all Legend Entertainment games, from what I remember. Companions of Xanth, Death Gate and the Superhero League of Hoboken were my favourites back in the day.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Let me combine cumulative codex knowledge for you :

JarlFrank said:
Quest for Glory 1. and Police Quest IV [added by ghostdog]

Kz3r0 said:
Sanitarium
I have no mouth and I must scream

Satori said:
The Dark Eye
Snatcher

Tramboi said:
Tex Murphy adventures, especially Pandora Directive, are awesome.
Beneath a steel sky, free and playable with ScummVM.
Discworld Noir is a must-play too.
Veil of Darkness is more of an adventure than a RPG and I love this game.
KGB is really hardcore but good.

Let me just add :

Broken Sword : Shadow Of The Templars
Blade Runner
The Lost Files Of Sherlock Holmes 1&2
Dreamweb

And action adventures :

Bioforge
Realms of the haunting
Silent Hill 1&2

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I was gonna mention the Sherlock Holmes games, but then phantomhound beat me to it.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Marquess Cornwallis said:
Pretty much all Legend Entertainment games, from what I remember. Companions of Xanth, Death Gate and the Superhero League of Hoboken were my favourites back in the day.

This. And Woodruff & The Schnibble from Coktel, as well as the Goblins games if you feel like it.

Gonchi

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014
In addition to the Quest games, Sierra had a lot of goodies in their early years like Conquest of Camelot: The Search for the Grail, Gold Rush! and The Colonel's Bequest. Not sure just how far back you want to go though.

I second virtually all the games mentioned so far. Here's a few more, though I would say to consider the following after you're done with those already named.

Bureau 13
Cruise for a Corpse
Dragonsphere
Future Wars: Adventures in Time
Guilty (Innocent Until Caught 2)
In Cold Blood
Innocent Until Caught
Mission Critical
Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy
Noctropolis
Operation Stealth (aka. James Bond: The Stealth Affair)
Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender
Rise of the Dragon
Salammbo: Battle for Carthage
Shadow of Destiny
The Gene Machine
The Feeble Files
The Fifth Disciple
Titanic: Adventure Out of Time
Tony Tough and the Night of Roasted Moths

Quality ranges from "Great!" to "Decent" to "It's good for what it is". I've been tempted to LP some of these for the Codex numerous times, but I know I lack the humor to pull it off.

There are also a few freeware games worth checking out (The White Chamber for example), not sure if you'd be interested in those.

Longshanks

Augur
The Dig (a Lucas Arts game, but often overlooked - sci fi, point and click. Much more serious than their other games)
Dark Earth (post-apoc)
Gateway 1+2 (sci fi)
Sam & Max
The Dark Eye (if you like Poe. Not much of a game, but a good retelling of his stories, with excellent art and atmosphere)

So good, they bear repeating:
Realms of the Haunting (excellent FPS/Adventure)
Sanitarium
Discworld Noir

Also, http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=21441

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also some good new shit that I really enjoyed:
A Tale of Two Kingdoms: It's free and done in the style of Sierra's old King's Quest games. It's also non-linear. It also has multiple endings and multiple solutions for different quests. It also has really beautiful early 90's style art. And since it's free you have no excuse to not try it.

Book of Unwritten Tales: Rather new (released last year) German adventure game. Great humour, beautiful graphics, most puzzles are logical. I enjoyed it quite a lot. I have no idea if there's an English version yet, though.

Inherit the Earth: good old 90's adventure game. I didn't play it since a long time but enjoyed it a lot when I was a kid. You can probably find it at some abandonware site.

Hory

Erudite
Star Control 2. Not 100% adventure, but that's a good thing. It's been also ported to modern systems and released as free.

Imbecile

Arbiter
If its not already been recommended:

Time Gentlemen Please or its slightly less polished predecessor Ben There, Dan That.

They are recent, indie - and fairly amusing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom