Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Live action RPGs

Wyrmlord

Arcane
NOT the same as Live Action Role Playing.

I am talking about this stuff:

wahooka.jpg

stonekeep2.jpg

betrayal_at_krondor_screen1.jpg

betrayal_at_krondor_screen2.jpg

1149497-65_image69.jpg

1149499-59_image63.jpg

More from where that came? Anyone know some interesting, obscure examples?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I remember there's Lands of Lore III being panned like hell. Watching some youtube playthrough, and I was glad I never bought it when I was younger. Shit, shit shit.

FMV had its place in presentation and cinematics, but gameplay? Ridiculous.

mondblut

Arcane
RK47 said:

Well, BAK pulled it out fairly tolerably. And even Stonekeep, too. Wahooka (the great) was pretty classic.

2OP Ishar 3 had some digitized photos for character portraits and ingame sprites. And lest we forget Unreal World :smug:

Oh, and while cinematics alone is stretching it too far, we can't go without mentioning "Rest well this night, for tomorrow you sail to the kingdom of Daggerfall".

Excidium said:
Leaving the RPG genre there's a whole fucking bunch of games using FMV.
Quite. If you don't mind adventures, The Black Dahlia (a game where you start of hunting supposed Fascist elements in 1930's America as a detective then get latched onto the Torso Killer case), Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo, Harvester (a great mindfuck and gory game), 7th Guest, Ripper, and Black Mirror 3.

Wyrmlord said:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSs1UGSomOI

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Phantasmagoria is possibly the Quintessential FMV game.

It was a massive game / production at the time, I was really frightened playing it, but now I think its even MORE scary.

I mean, just look at those pre-rendered backgrounds! Teh horror.....teh horror...

Phantasmagoria-5.png
phantasmagoria-yard.jpg

And that's why we don't FMV anymore kids. ;)

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
felipepepe said:

It was a massive game / production at the time, I was really frightened playing it, but now I think its even MORE scary.

I mean, just look at those pre-rendered backgrounds! Teh horror.....teh horror...

Phantasmagoria-5.png
phantasmagoria-yard.jpg

Best game over sequences in a game ever.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
for an example of how actor digitisation improves all games also see Street Fighter - The Movie : The Game

actually now that I think about it only Mortal Kombat got the whole live action sprite thing right and even so it wasn't in a way that you could take seriously

Menckenstein

sgc_meltdown said:
for an example of how actor digitisation improves all games also see Street Fighter - The Movie : The Game

actually now that I think about it only Mortal Kombat got the whole live action sprite thing right and even so it wasn't in a way that you could take seriously

Lethal Enforcers, bro

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
bro I never played arcade gun games IRL and there's so much other shit on mame

(search)

FCS6s.jpg

is this black ops gentleman rolling like geralt

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
sgc_meltdown said:
mortal_kombat1fatality.jpg

I took it very seriously at the time. :D

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
mondblut said:
RK47 said:

Well, BAK pulled it out fairly tolerably. And even Stonekeep, too. Wahooka (the great) was pretty classic.

2OP Ishar 3 had some digitized photos for character portraits and ingame sprites. And lest we forget Unreal World :smug:

Oh, and while cinematics alone is stretching it too far, we can't go without mentioning "Rest well this night, for tomorrow you sail to the kingdom of Daggerfall".

He did mention RPG, and yes, BAK pulled it off well, why? Because they didn't attempt real time combat with it. It's just a bunch of looping animation as the characters wait their turn, and combat is mostly a simple swing...some spherical and pixellated spell effects. It wasn't over the top and functional.

Once 3D graphic works got smoother, there's really no tolerating stiff FMV sequences ...that Phantasmagoria screenshot gave me nightmares. My longest tolerance with FMV sequence is prolly Sherlock Holmes cases whereby I had to pay attention to what they say to gather clues and solve cases. It was neat. Compared to the retarded Dracula game they released earlier.

But then again ,I'm stupid because I still love Westwood for bringing FMV sequence cinematics to bear in a strange genre. Or should I blame Joe Kucan? Lovely touch with C&C and without those live actors, that game would've been different.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
RK47 said:
I'm stupid because I still love Westwood for bringing FMV sequence cinematics to bear in a strange genre.

Bullshit son, fmv briefing is best pump up for mission and mission success fmv is best reward! Period!

4QK4D.gif

up to C&C3 at least

Menckenstein

sgc_meltdown said:
bro I never played arcade gun games IRL and there's so much other shit on mame

(search)

FCS6s.jpg

is this black ops gentleman rolling like geralt

lol I like Andy Dick in the purple sweater in the background.

Phelot

Arcane
2us8sio.jpg
"Did somebody say..."

2dbt8qg.jpg
"FMV?!"

I really need to finish that LP. I actually have most of the screens done.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
felipepepe said:

Phantasmagoria-5.png
phantasmagoria-yard.jpg

Because it scares people?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Come to think of it, I think I started watching Battlestar Galactica only because of one C&C game.

Phelot

Arcane
I have to admit I always cringed when seeing FMV. Even if the game itself was good. I always dreaded seeing the cutscenes in C&C, for example. It was just so embarrassing to see.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom