Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of WASD-like control 3D RPG games (single player)

Mattresses

Scholar
I have so much trouble trying to find good proper WASD-style first person rpgs nowadays, all those boring point-and-click's saturating the market.

cesm23

Novice
OK sry then, I just wanted to be helpful. There's really no need for such a harsh answer! Just so you know, I will report you to admins next time if you wont change your behaviour.

lol please... forgive me if i made you think that i was harsh it was not my intention sorry it's just my way of talking don't take it personally of course i appreciate you trying to help, remember english isn't my native language and some expressions i use in english i still don't know exactly how normal english persons will take it, i just wrote that because if someone would tell that to me i wouldn't take it as harsh answer, sorry for the bad choice of words then :)

Wulfstand

Prophet
On a more serious note, try Gothic 2: Night of the Raven. In my opinion, it's better than Gothic 3 by far (what the fuck did they do with Gomez, Lee , Gorn and Milten's faces?) and as good as/if not even better than Gothic 1.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Don't forget Dungeon Lords. It has a deep, branching plot, a rich world and, last but not least, is probably the most bug-free game ever made.

Krokar

Scholar
Have you tryed new Wolfenstein? All my friends say that it's not RPG but FPS. But that is realy not true because you upgrade your weapons just like in Diablo. Same goes for STALKER and Bioshock. IMO those are best RPGs from last few years.

Double Ogre

Scholar
Well, what do you know? This thread is already full of top-notch RPGs. Thanks for compiling the list, cesm23.

I'm going to bookmark this thread and come later for some more RPG goodness.

cesm23

Novice
I have so much trouble trying to find good proper WASD-style first person rpgs nowadays, all those boring point-and-click's saturating the market.

Yeah that's exactly how i felt too, that's why i made the topic :)

On a more serious note, try Gothic 2: Night of the Raven. In my opinion, it's better than Gothic 3 by far (what the fuck did they do with Gomez, Lee , Gorn and Milten's faces?) and as good as/if not even better than Gothic 1.

indeed i already have it too and i am still to play it, i really liked gothic 1 so 2 should be even better.

Don't forget Dungeon Lords. It has a deep, branching plot, a rich world and, last but not least, is probably the most bug-free game ever made.

Have you tryed new Wolfenstein? All my friends say that it's not RPG but FPS. But that is realy not true because you upgrade your weapons just like in Diablo. Same goes for STALKER and Bioshock. IMO those are best RPGs from last few years.

Cool another game to me check out thanks for the tips!

Well, what do you know? This thread is already full of top-notch RPGs. Thanks for compiling the list, cesm23.

I'm going to bookmark this thread and come later for some more RPG goodness.

Yes and count on me to keep it updated for a long time since i have strong personal interest on this. Altough i would like you guys to give me more suggestions in how to improve the list, putting more info in each game line besides the name, such as the year it was released, or company that made it, or sub-type of rpg that it is, etc i would like suggestions.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Malachi said:
cesm23 said:
About deus ex i already got that game in the past, but i don't think i liked it much...

I totally see your point -- who would like something with a name like "Deus Ex" anyway? Definitely *not* a game for someone of your high standards.

Plus, no farts in that one, either!

Malachi , farting was merely an example. It's not like a game must have farting - otherwise it sucks. It's just that Fable just managed to tremendously enhance the roleplaying experience by giving you the capability to express yourself and to roleplay your character properly. Posing, fishing, cheering etc - and farting. Some might not like farting per se and prefer other methods of selfexpression like pissing or even shitting.

Another very good - although oldschool - RPG : Neverwinter Nights had no farting for instance and it was a terrific experience despite of it. Although NWNs merit was the fact that it could easily be modded. I'm sure a talented modder (OgreOgre?) could implement farting into NWN, that would make the game even better. Or maybe shitting if you're so inclined.

Krokar

Scholar
@VentilatorOfDoom

NWN is point and click, not WASD so it SUCKS!

cesm23

Novice
Yeah indeed point and click sucks to me too BUT i think it's possible to have WASD movement in neverwinter nghts that's why i have put it on the list in the first place, can you confirm this VentilatorOfDoom ? I think i have once read on google that in neverwinternights there is a way to have wasd movement.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Of course it has WASD movement, why would I play a game where I have to click around like an idiot all the time. Makes no sense.

Krokar

Scholar
I tryed NWN ages ago and it does indeed have WASD controls, but you still have to click for attack and other action LOOOOOL!! Whats the point of WASD then if you stil have to click LOL.

cesm23

Novice
Hum... wait isn't that like FPS are played ? If yes then at least to me it's ok, if we can play the game with wasd to move the character and using the mouse to move the camera and clicking to attack, then it's like a fps so it's good to me and i will keep it on the list.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I can't believe no one mentioned Daikatana. It has the most innovative blend of RPG and FPS. But I think it doesn't have WASD by default :( ... You can probably add them from the control setting though :D

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I can't believe no one mentioned Daikatana. It has the most innovative blend of RPG and FPS. But I think it doesn't have WASD by default ... You can probably add them from the control setting though

That's a big minus, but if you can switch itz on the the settings it's still acceptable in my book. Thx for the recommendation.

Probably I derailed the thred too much with my farting waffle, but really come to think of it how much such a simple thing can enhance your gaming experience. Like in NWN for example: there are a lot of spells like Stinking cloud for instance. Wouldn't it be way more fun roleplayingwise if this spell was named let's say Isaacs Lesser Fart of Doom? Of course there would also be a spell Isaacs Greater Fart of Doom and it would be stronger, duration- and magnitudewise.

Krokar

Scholar
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Krokar, siriously even in Fable you have to click for attack, r u trolling? rofl.

What I mean is that you still have mouse pointer.

And Summer would already ban me if I was trolling.

Divinity: Original Sin
well, those dungeon master clones... like eye of the beholder, Lands of lore.

There's the Might and magic games, Ishar, Realms of Arkania.

Of Course they all suck, because you control them with the arrow keys, and there's no way to map the keyboard to control them with WASD.

The solution, of couse, is glue the letters W, A, S, D on the arrow keys on the keyboard.

I'd say Deus Ex 2. It has WASD.

Why not Deus Ex 3 already... count mass effect 2 as well. After all, they will all be great when released, since they will of couse suport WASD.

cesm23

Novice
I can't believe no one mentioned Daikatana. It has the most innovative blend of RPG and FPS. But I think it doesn't have WASD by default ... You can probably add them from the control setting though

Indeed it doesn't matter much if it uses the wasd specific keys or not, i just wrote WASD in the title because i think it's the main designation that i see on the internet for games in which we directly control a character. That's why i wrote "wasd-like" on the title in the first place :) Altough Daikatana is still a FPS i am not sure if i should put it on the list, it seems more like a fps with characteristics of rpg rather than a RPG with fps characteristics. By the way i didn't liked the game much, but of course i respect who likes it :)

By the way i also added Age of pirates to the list this one seems to be good too.

well, those dungeon master clones... like eye of the beholder, Lands of lore.
There's the Might and magic games, Ishar, Realms of Arkania.
Of Course they all suck, because you control them with the arrow keys, and there's no way to map the keyboard to control them with WASD.

Hum... i see i will check them out anyway.

The solution, of couse, is glue the letters W, A, S, D on the arrow keys on the keyboard.

loool

I'd say Deus Ex 2. It has WASD.

Why not Deus Ex 3 already... count mass effect 2 as well. After all, they will all be great when released, since they will of couse suport WASD.

I think i will change the game titles in the list as "Deus ex series" or "Gothic series" i think it's better like this to avoid getting the list too big later.

Alpha protocol ? Never seen this before let me check it out too.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I can't believe I've missed the party. Sticky this.

Also you forgot about Alpha Protocol - pure RPG awesomeness, show me other RPG that lets you do this - a goodness more extreme than that of Mass Effect

302bfuo.jpg

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I can't remember, can you use WASD to move in Dungeon Siege? Brilliant, brilliant game that one, even if you need to click to attack.

Krokar

Scholar
Skyway, did they confirm that it's not point and click?

Oh, what about Borderlands? It's not out yet but I heard that its going to be amazing and its going to have a lot of weapons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom