Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lilura's Blog: An Ongoing Codexian Obsession

How do you rate lilura1.blogspot.com's commentary?

• Total voters

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Seems to have been written during Early Access. We need to lure Lilura back to the Codex, to give us the authoritative review of both Baldur's Gate 3 and Jagged Alliance 3.

bTuVPQ4.jpg
I'm surprised no one here has changed that "l" on "Whole" yet.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Old school graphics are meant to let your imagination fill in the blanks. I once said that the entire graphics fidelity that we have now has rotted our ability to imagine things.
I subscribe to both statements, and I've often thought how today's production values actually limit roleplaying, because the player expects everything to be "visually spelled out" for him, which is so expensive that only RDR2 can realize with no compromises made.

But for the effect of "your imagination fills in the blanks" you first need to have done some reading and to have seen those monsters enough times in the respective books. So there is a non-disclosed requirement to enjoying old school graphics. That's good to point out beforehand.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Old school graphics are meant to let your imagination fill in the blanks. I once said that the entire graphics fidelity that we have now has rotted our ability to imagine things.
I subscribe to both statements, and I've often thought how today's production values actually limit roleplaying, because the player expects everything to be "visually spelled out" for him, which is so expensive that only RDR2 can realize with no compromises made.

But for the effect of "your imagination fills in the blanks" you first need to have done some reading and to have seen those monsters enough times in the respective books. So there is a non-disclosed requirement to enjoying old school graphics. That's good to point out beforehand.

Yeah it does take someone the ability to actually read to utilize the theater of the mind. That's something sorely lacking in today's world.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Lilura lives and wrote a long piece griping about the state of cRPG commentary https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2022/03/cRPG-Commentary.html

Shots fired at MrEdders123:

Indeed, commentator literacy levels are laughably low. Thus the tendency of these twaddlers to take refuge in the more forgiving and informal video format in which marathon-length blabberings are not only par for the course, but celebrated by viewers with room-temperature IQs and free time in alarming abundance.

But if one were to skim over transcripts of such videos they would discover that, more often than not, almost nothing of value was said over the course of three hours. And what was said could be put into a bullet-list and skimmed over in a few seconds flat.

Mainstream RPG Game video-viewers are more impressed by rambling multi-hour videos than they are by concise writings that give them more information instantly. Possible illiteracy aside, that is because video-viewers are more interested in killing time than they are about being efficiently informed. Imagine having three hours of your life to waste on listening to what often amounts to naught but dribble.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Lilura lives and wrote a long piece griping about the state of cRPG commentary https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2022/03/cRPG-Commentary.html

Indeed, commentator literacy levels are laughably low. Thus the tendency of these twaddlers to take refuge in the more forgiving and informal video format in which marathon-length blabberings are not only par for the course, but celebrated by viewers with room-temperature IQs and free time in alarming abundance.

But if one were to skim over transcripts of such videos they would discover that, more often than not, almost nothing of value was said over the course of three hours. And what was said could be put into a bullet-list and skimmed over in a few seconds flat.

Mainstream RPG Game video-viewers are more impressed by rambling multi-hour videos than they are by concise writings that give them more information instantly. Possible illiteracy aside, that is because video-viewers are more interested in killing time than they are about being efficiently informed. Imagine having three hours of your life to waste on listening to what often amounts to naught but dribble.
On the one hand, (s)he isn't wrong. On the other, if the piece is much longer than what you posted here, Lilura once again lacks a sense of irony.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

On the one hand, (s)he isn't wrong. On the other, if the piece is much longer than what you posted here, Lilura once again lacks a sense of irony.

It's actually becoming a trend for all digestible content.

When I dip my toe into a new tech stack or want to read how certain things work in code or I'm looking for information. The first 5 pages of search results are almost always youtube videos, littered with bloated introductions, meandering, ad plugs and whatever inane garbage.

Even if the video is concise and to the point I'm watching it at 2x speed.. and frankly I just wanted to read about the topic instead. The internet as a whole is shifting towards appealing to mouth droolers.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

When I dip my toe into a new tech stack or want to read how certain things work in code or I'm looking for information. The first 5 pages of search results are almost always youtube videos, littered with bloated introductions, meandering, ad plugs and whatever inane garbage.

Even if the video is concise and to the point I'm watching it at 2x speed.. and frankly I just wanted to read about the topic instead. The internet as a whole is shifting towards appealing to mouth droolers.
If I open it up at all (and it's not just minimized/second screen content for background noise), I'm basically checking out the index and skipping around.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I agree with you both 95%, and that's why ASCII is one of my, if not the favorite graphics style in games.

However, I am not entirely sure you need to have seen all of the monsters in books etc. Some for sure, but for instance I think had never seen a pic of umber hulk before playing nethack. I remember just picturing an amber colored Hulk in my mind and off we went. :)
Was actually a bit disappointed it's some kind of insectoid creature.

Leaves even more room for your imagination.

They paid to appear first, paid and made some code shit to be pushed to the first results. If you hate this, you hate the free markets.

zapotec

Liturgist
The fact he can't grasp Morrowind "unintuitive" levelling system says a lot about the person.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom