Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lies of P - a Pinocchio-Inspired Souls-Like Game

abija

Prophet
So basically they changed few character models from Dark Souls, and added Denuvo.

And they even have Denuvo on MS pass. Like they are crazy.
A true codex shittake.

Jinn

Arcane
Pineapple man and I share many of the same thoughts on this. Chiefly, that it's absolutely much better than decent, that it's probably the best non-Fromsoft souls-like made to date, and that it actually manages to do a lot to establish its own identity despite its obvious influences.

The game is great, and just keeps getting better the longer I play it. Sitting at about 10 hours and organic monsters are starting to show up now.

DemonKing

Arcane
Really enjoying this - got up to Factory last night after I managed to beat the third boss after only a few tries. Game has just the right amount of challenge/frustration for me at the moment as a not very skilled player who loves FS games.

I must admit though I find that some of the ways the game tries to bait you are probably a bit too obvious (at least so far).

Unfortunately I'm heading overseas for a few weeks so will have to try and pick this back up then - hope I can remember how to play when I get back!

Jinn

Arcane
What the "not for everyone" part about? TLDR?
The game can be very challenging, and if you go into it just trying to play it like it's a soulsbourne game, or a sekiro, you're probably going to end up frustrated. You have to play it like Lies of P first and foremost, which means there's going to be a fair amount of learning that you'll need to do.

I think the game could benefit from having a slightly more forgiving perfect-guard window, which would even out the difficulty a bit. Not that using perfect-guard is absolutely mandatory, but it goes a long ways towards taking control of a battle. Some of these mid game boss fights have been pretty brutal, not gonna lie.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
My only "issue" with the game is that the "walkable" areas seem too clear. Could be a limitation from using UE though.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I think the game could benefit from have a slightly more forgiving perfect-guard window, which would even out the difficulty a bit.
IIRC both the first Nioh and Wo Long had the same problem. Team Ninja released a demo, players collectively complained about ridiculous parry windows and they adjusted it for the regular release and everybody was happy. (Altho I still think parry windows are too tight in Nioh, rendering parrying a tactic that people rarely use; which is a shame).

Seems to be a common theme with these AZN devs, expecting teenage-Korean reflexes of regular players.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I think the game could benefit from have a slightly more forgiving perfect-guard window, which would even out the difficulty a bit.
IIRC both the first Nioh

He specifically mentions Nioh as similar in the way he means "not for everyone". What he actually seems to mean is that people compared it too much to another game instead of understanding its particularities, and thus got frustrated with it, instead of learning how it functioned.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You know i'm kind of sick of retards bitching those games are hard.

Can they just fuck off? When did normies ever get the impression this niche was for them?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You know i'm kind of sick of retards bitching those games are hard.

Can they just fuck off? When did normies ever get the impression this niche was for them?
I think it was Dark Souls 3.
It was long before then that this shit started. More like Dark Souls 1, only because Demon's Souls (original) was pretty niche and unknown, even after becoming a cult classic in the West.

Modron

Arcane
Probably when they played Dark Souls and found out it wasn't actually hard despite game journalists and normies telling them it had been hard for years.

cruel

Cipher
The game is kicking my ass. Died more times in 4h than first 50h of Elden Ring, and I'm not exaggerating here. Not saying it's a bad thing, but definitely takes some time to get used to - and, as Jinn said, if you try to play it using only your Souls muscle memory, the suffering will be severe. The only problem is that I suck at parrying so much. Considering ditching the rapier and switching to this electric mace.

This is one of the things that makes this game stand apart from all those budget Souls-likes - very early you need to make some meaningful decisions regarding your character growth. 5 weapons accessible in <4h, each is completely different, with pros and cons and set of stats that influence them. And here I am, with 16 Technique (~ Dexterity), only to find out that rapier may not be a good choice after all.

abija

Prophet
By parry you mean well timed guard? There are also some parry skills and I might be wrong but it feels they have different timing.

Jinn

Arcane
And here I am, with 16 Technique (~ Dexterity), only to find out that rapier may not be a good choice after all.
Yeah, I've come to understand that if you're going to run a technique build in this, you're going to have to become a master of the perfect-guard. I'm running a heavy build and I still need to utilize it efficiently. Technique build will have to wait for NG+ for me. There are some really cool weapons for it.

abija

Prophet
Maybe I'm doing something wrong but on the hard fights as heavy can't really keep up with guard and regain life hitting after. So I end up having to perfect guard anyway. Tehnique build at least has an easier time landing some dmg between consecutive guards.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Sounds like it's a good game, but I despise the player character and it seems like you're pretty much forced into a certain combat style.
I don't know, maybe in a 50% sale down the road.

Jinn

Arcane
There's plenty of variation in combat styles. It's just that perfect-guarding is a key mechanic that has to be utilized to some degree if you want to avoid a fair amount of frustration. Otherwise, throwable consumables are hugely affective in this, legion arms offer a great deal of variety and are also incredibly useful, and the weapon variety is off the charts due to the amazing "blade" and hilt customization system once you get a little ways in and start collecting more weapons.

While its overall structure is linear, exploration in individual areas is pretty excellent too, with lots of little hidden areas off the beaten path, useful loot to be found, and shortcuts scattered throughout. It's one aspect that could certainly be improved upon, but it's better than I expected.

Neowiz is now pretty much the sole contender with Fromsoft (we'll see if the developers of the new Lords of the Fallen enter the ring too). This game is a massive achievement and absolutely deserves support if you're a fan of the genre. It shits all over every past attempt to come close.

For anyone trying it out for the first time, give it a few hours and some patience. You'll be rewarded in the end.

Last edited:

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Tell me more about this reward. It better be a *really* good reward if I'm required to play game from one of Asia's ghettos based on an ancient children's cartoon where you control a little girl dressed up like a male performer at the world's gayest theater. This reward better be a hell of a lot better than a Hyundai, I'll tell you that much.

Jinn

Arcane
Tell me more about this reward. It better be a *really* good reward if I'm required to play game from one of Asia's ghettos based on an ancient children's cartoon where you control a little girl dressed up like a male performer at the world's gayest theater. This reward better be a hell of a lot better than a Hyundai, I'll tell you that much.
The reward is fun gameplay. Clearly something you're not interested in. So, I don't know, just don't play it?

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Of course I'm not playing it. But fun gameplay not a reward if you payed for a game. That's the bottom of the barrel bare minimum of what you should get for $80. Lies of Jinn.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Well, you don't control a little girl either, which might convince me to give this at least a try, you control a faggot.
No thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom