Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lies of P - a Pinocchio-Inspired Souls-Like Game

deama

Prophet
denuvo = no buy

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, I rarely make exceptions for Denuvo (Yakuza, Judgment, Persona etc.), but we'll see. Maybe it'll turn out to be really good.
The more recent showcases look pretty cool, I just don't know if it's gonna worth it at full price.

Jinn

Arcane
Videogame streaming services are even more cancerous than steam or denuvo. Say no to gamepass, boys.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Videogame streaming services are even more cancerous than steam or denuvo. Say no to gamepass, boys.
Got it for free for a few months with my last hardware refresh. You think I'm not checking crap out on there instead of buying it on Steam, in case it sucks? Man, you are mistaken. I already buy too much stuff. Probably won't continue a sub after it expires, but 3 months starting in September is gold for gaming. :smug:

Jinn

Arcane
Oh, I understand the appeal well enough. I just won't have any part of it, whether for free or for a dollar. They are actively attempting to strip any sense of ownership of games from the consumer, which is just absolutely disgusting, dystopian ass shit.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Lobosjr is shilling it.
I liked that guy tbh, but since he lasik'ed his eyes, I can't stand him anymore.

Edit: It's probably nothing to do with lasik, but with success. He's been getting worse ever since he went full-time content cretor/streamer/influencer. And the yearly "help muh children" and "cuck fancer" crap.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Another concerning criticism I've heard is that most normal encounters while exploring offer little in the way of challenge. Hope this is something they'll tune up a bit with patches.

Jinn

Arcane
I've skimmed various reviews in search of thoughts on exploration and level design and have found much more positives than negative. Could be the few instances I ran into negative impressions on this front indicate the reviewer just sucks at exploring. Either way, just wanted to share that it's not necessarily a cut and dry criticism across the board.

Same goes for non-boss encounters and their general difficulty.

cruel

Cipher
I'm buying this today. Too many good things in one package to skip, and - looking at the game already being #4 at the global best sellers list - I don't expect it to go on sale anytime soon.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Jinn

Arcane
lol this guy's problem with the game is that there is RPG-style progression in an Action-RPG.

Sweet jesus, man. Yeah, it feels clunky in the first half of the game before you gain access to some of these movement skills for a reason. It's called a sense of progression. Stuff like this makes me want to get the game even more. I love when there is a direct correlation between the RPG systems and the way your character moves in an Action RPG. Really hope the developers do not listen to feedback like this.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Not sure, I think someone made the point before, but I find the player character revolting.
No buy. Maybe at 75% discount.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS REALLY WANTED TO LIKE IT BUT FIRST IMPRESSIONSMM ARE MEDIEOCRE

COMBAT FEEL IS WORSE THAN MOST SOULS LIKES

AND WHOLY FUCK EVERYTHING IS SO FUCKING SHINY AND LOOKS PLASTIC EVEN THE DEAD HORSES

ANYWAYS I PLAY IT ON FAGPASS GLAD I DIDT BUY IT

IM STILL IN THE BEGINNING THOUGH SO ILL RESERVE FINAL JUDGEMENTAL

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Official Trailer Release Announcement
Prepare to Lie or Die… The Pinocchio-Inspired Souls-like “Lies of P” is Available Now.

Take on the Role of Geppetto’s Prized Puppet to Uncover the Mysteries of Krat and Save the City in this New Take on the Fairy-Tale Classic!

Whether it is brimming with lies or purely the truth, once a tale has been told, it can never be silenced.

What will be within the pages of your story?

The gates have opened. Lies of P is available now.

Ivan

Arcane
Sharing some rapid fire impressions after a long session (8 hours or so with breaks):
-for a debut title, this feels incredibly polished, and runs fantastically on my 1080
-combat feels great, backed up by a varied roster of enemies (organic and mechanical)
-defense and parrying feels great as you can not only stagger enemies but you can also cause their weapons to break. That specific moment is always super satisfying. Kinda reminds me of the high I got from parrying in Revengeance
-bosses have felt tough but fair
-level design is above average and enemy placement has been fun and never trollish
-ambient audio is lacking, but combat sound design is well done
-I think there are too many consumable/usable items, such that resetting your equipment belt can become tiresome
-the arm mechanic is a neat addition and is conducive to player expression. I often find myself switching between them. For point of reference, they feel/function like the Devil Breaker in Devil May Cry 5

In sum, I'm left very satisfied with this and impressed by how polished it feels and looks.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah, I went for it too and have not been disappointed as of yet at about 3 hours in. Really enjoying how the heavy weapon combat is feeling, now that I've gotten used to its reach. Combat has felt much more methodical and less twitchy than you might expect from something inspired by Bloodborne, but that could change as I get further. Exploration has been fun and I've definitely run into some deadly normal encounters here and there. Atmosphere has been top notch so far, and I enjoy the overall aesthetic. It's fun seeing the Pinocchio story being adapted into so a gruesome setting.

Sadly have to stop for the night, but I'm very excited to continue playing tomorrow evening. I'm also impressed.

cruel

Cipher
Same here, very good initial impressions. They didn't break anything compared to the demo, and I feel they fixed my biggest problem - dodging seems more consistent and better now, not sure if they added i-frames or extended dodge distance, but it's not annoying as it was. Great atmosphere, satisfying combat and this feeling of overall polish and tons of attention put into making the game. Also, optimization is fantastic - 100fps+ on a RTX 3080 in 4K. I feel this could run on a toaster and still perform well. Amazing how a random Korean studio could teach AAA publishers how to optimize their games for a day 1 PC release.

DemonKing

Arcane
Played a bit last night - fairly decent soulslike with a nice atmosphere. Managed to beat the first boss after only a few tries which is pretty good for me.

Graphics are pretty good. I liked the way weather changes your outfit (like your shirt gets sodden when in the rain, or muddy if you're knocked down to the street).

So far seems very linear to me with boss bottlenecks gating progress, which feels a bit weird coming off Elden Ring now.

Will be interesting to see if this and/or the new Lords of the Fallen resonate much.

Jinn

Arcane
After bit more time with it, hands down the best non-Fromsoft souls-like I've ever played. Much better than fairly decent, in my opinion.

Lords of the Fallen still looks like it'll top this for me, but I'm very glad I bought Lies of P.

EDIT: I see you're you can't believe what the fuck you're reading, mediocrepoet. But really, there isn't that much solid competition when you really think about it. As far as the genre goes, this is in good to very-good territory.

Last edited:
Lords of the Fallen still looks like it'll top this for me, but I'm very glad I bought it.

EDIT: I see you're you can't believe what the fuck you're reading, @mediocrepoet. But really, there isn't that much solid competition when you really think about it. As far as the genre goes, this is in good to very-good territory.
Maybe he's confused and thinks you mean the original Lords of the Fallen and not the nulords coming out next month?

This genre is a mess though in terms of quality. Here's to hoping the up coming Lords of the Fallen is decent.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Lords of the Fallen still looks like it'll top this for me, but I'm very glad I bought it.

EDIT: I see you're you can't believe what the fuck you're reading, @mediocrepoet. But really, there isn't that much solid competition when you really think about it. As far as the genre goes, this is in good to very-good territory.
Maybe he's confused and thinks you mean the original Lords of the Fallen and not the nulords coming out next month?

This genre is a mess though in terms of quality. Here's to hoping the up coming Lords of the Fallen is decent.

No I don't think he had the LotF thing in there before. Though it's true, the original was garbage. I'll wait and see about this reboot.

I'm just floored that this game is actually good apparently, nevermind allegedly quite good.

Jinn

Arcane
Yes, I'm very much so referring to the new Lords of the Fallen. The old one is mediocre at best. The new one looks fantastic.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
ALRIGHT BROS

IM A SUCKER FOR SOULS LIKE SIHT

A FEW MORE HOURS IN AND IT FEELS A LITTLE BETTER

A PLUS FOR STEAM PUNK GOTHIC SETTING IT WORKS

YES PRODUCTION VALUES ARE GOOD AND GRAPHICS ARE NICE EXCEPT FOR EVERTHIGB SO SHINY

BROS SORRY BUT SURGE 2 BEATS THIS BY A MILE AND I LIKE NIOH AND WU LONG AND EVEN MORTAL SHELL EVEN BESTESER

WHAT HOLDS IT BACK ARE THE COMPLETELY LINEAR LEVELS EXPLORATION SOLVES SIDE QUESTS AND GETS ITEMS AND UNLOCKS SHORTCUTS THERE IS NO OPEN WORLD

I GET THAT NIOH AND WO LONG DONT HAVE EXPLORATION BUT THEIR COMBAT IS MUCH BETTER

ALSO THE COMBAT DOESNT HAVE MUCH WEIGHT IT SEEMS LIKE I POKE AND BLOCK OR POKE AND RUN

BUT LOLLLOLLOL BROS THE SETTING AND PROGRESSION MECHANICS HAVE ME SOLD ILL PLAY THIS ONE THROUGH ITS MAYBE A LITTLE BETTER THAN LORDS OF FALLEN CAUSE THE UNIQUE SETTING AND BETTER ITEMIZATION AND CUSTOMIZATION OF PROGRESS

ILL TAKE NIOH AND MORTAL SHELL AS TOP TEIR SOULS LIKE WITH SURGE 2 A LITTLE BEHINDS

ITEMIZATION IS ALSO WORSE SO FAR NOT MANY GOOD EQUIPMENT CHOICES JUST TAKE THE BESTEST WAEPON

Jinn

Arcane
ILL TAKE NIOH AND MORTAL SHELL AS TOP TEIR SOULS LIKE WITH SURGE 2 A LITTLE BEHINDS
I hardly consider Nioh a soulslike, so yeah, it doesn't go in the list for me. Mortal Shell is alright, but there's more going on in Lies of P in terms of progression and character development which edges it out in that regard. Surge 2 is better about the branching paths and pure combat mechanics, but damn, pretty much everything else is worse.

ITEMIZATION IS ALSO WORSE SO FAR NOT MANY GOOD EQUIPMENT CHOICES JUST TAKE THE BESTEST WAEPON
More options later on in the game, both in terms of weapons and "defense gear." Weapon customization mechanic also adds another layer on top of it all. Only wish that there were physically represented actual armor sets instead of the outfits.

My guess is in a few more hours, you'll like it even more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom