Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lies of P - a Pinocchio-Inspired Souls-Like Game

cruel

Cipher
I have mixed feelings after playing the demo for 1h+. Nice atmosphere, combat seems solid, game is nicely optimized, but something is lacking, not sure if I can put my finger on it. Definitely better than shit tier games like first Lords of the Fallen, seems also better than Ashen or first Surge, but nowhere near close Bloodborne, Dark Souls or Nioh (but no surprise here).

What bugs me a little bit is dodging, it doesn't feel right. Way too frequently I get hit when I shouldn't, it seems to only work if you dodge directly into the enemy attack, not left / right / back. It looks like they may want to force the player to parry instead of rely on dodging, and I hate when the game does that (unless it's Sekiro, when everything is tightly designed around this feature).

The good thing - it doesn't seem like they dropped the ball completely, lied to people and promised something that they can't deliver, there is some potential here and there. Will keep watching this, probably will try on Game Pass when it's released - just hoping whey will improve dodging somewhat.

Suicidal

Arcane
I have mixed feelings after playing the demo for 1h+. Nice atmosphere, combat seems solid, game is nicely optimized, but something is lacking, not sure if I can put my finger on it. Definitely better than shit tier games like first Lords of the Fallen, seems also better than Ashen or first Surge, but nowhere near close Bloodborne, Dark Souls or Nioh (but no surprise here).

What bugs me a little bit is dodging, it doesn't feel right. Way too frequently I get hit when I shouldn't, it seems to only work if you dodge directly into the enemy attack, not left / right / back. It looks like they may want to force the player to parry instead of rely on dodging, and I hate when the game does that (unless it's Sekiro, when everything is tightly designed around this feature).

The good thing - it doesn't seem like they dropped the ball completely, lied to people and promised something that they can't deliver, there is some potential here and there. Will keep watching this, probably will try on Game Pass when it's released - just hoping whey will improve dodging somewhat.
The game has an upgrade tree that gets unlocked after you kill the final demo boss, which lets you spend boss cores to buy upgrades like dodge distance and the ability to double dodge and stuff like that.

fpPy15r.png

TwoEdge

Scholar
I was interested in this up until I tried the demo. Unfortunately, dodging is too limited and stiff, and enemies' attacks have too much tracking, both sins in the genre, I find. Here's hoping they tweak these details until launch, but my expectations have waned considerably after that.

911 Jumper

Educated
The main character looks like that French girly boy who played Paul in the 2021 Dune film.

Awful name for a game, too. It sounds like “lines of pee”.

Suicidal

Arcane
I hope people won't bitch about the final demo boss being too hard. I actually quite liked that one and it took me some time to defeat, but I've already seen people call it a bunch of names.

cruel

Cipher
No other game I played had so many Bloodborne references as this. The overall aesthetic, voices behind closed houses, and they even give you Tonitrus after 2h or so.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Ryzer

Arcane
No other game I played had so many Bloodborne references as this. The overall aesthetic, voices behind closed houses, and they even give you Tonitrus after 2h or so.

Is it a bad thing?
Answer: not at all. It's incline.

cruel

Cipher
Of course it is. Probably the closest thing to 'Bloodborne experience' PC players will get. I just hope they will fix some of the annoying things before the release (dodging, proper feedback in combat, less gank squads etc.).

Ivan

Arcane
Very generous demo, clocked in at 3 hours. It's a very competent Bloodborne clone with engaging level design, strong audio, and a very familiar combat loop. It certainly doesn't have the same polish nor does it have an element of mystique like the FromSoftware titles do. Every enemy and boss encounter was a pretty standard mech.

Still, this is the best Souls knockoff I've played, beating out the likes of The Surge, and Mortal Shell

-read the above posts: I had no issue with the standard dodge, I did suck at the parrying though and quit it once I saw this has a the Bloodborne dash-dodge vs the roll.

Zeriel

Arcane
It also doesn't look like a doll either. I don't think your main toon is Pinocchio. Judging by those videos my assumption is that Pinocchio is the main villian (even so, what kind of Souls-like game is this where you cannot customize your character?). Unless the main boss is Gepetto? God i feel so fucking retarded for even writing this shit lmao how about making a Red Riding Hood Souls-like where you fight the Three Little Piggies at the end next? Fuck's sake.

I'm still convinced the devs came up with this setting as a joke to troll their producers but the latter actually thought they was being serious and now they are stuck with this shit lmao.

For foreigners it's more exotic. Like how westerners will think some random kanji for "butt-scratching" is super sexy and awesome. So they probably just think its cooler than you do, while for us its children stories.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Tried it out and uninstalled within minutes. I'd rather just replay Bloodborne than a poor imitation.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Looks like a discount Bloodborne that is made considerably LESS interesting by being ostensibly based on Pinocchio... Could have just made a retro-futuristic 19th century soulslike. Also, no customizable protagonist? Give me a break.

Vyadhis

Learned
I have this fear the game will feature a theme park level with enemies like FNAF. If they don't do this and reach for the lowest hanging fruit I will have some respect for the devs.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I thought this game was developed by some French studio.

Edit: That was Steelrising from Spiders.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm not quite sure what this game has going for it. I hope there's more to it than just killing machine enemies from corridor to corridor in a cool environment.
It actually looks a lot like Steelrising, which was not a good game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom