Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's talk about Lacrymas' homebrew fantasy setting where paladins are eunuchs

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So yes, druids are not overpowered in general

Cael

Arcane
I guess it depends whether we’re talking the overall class or most powerful in the sense of having one build that is among the top top builds in the game. Druid is certainly op in the latter case (specifically due to moon). But as I mentioned, he’s not playing a moon Druid, and Cael responded to my comment made in that context
This is like saying Kobolds are OP because of Pun-Pun...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Cael You’re the one who responded with “Druids are not overpowered?” Like I said, I think they’re mediocre at best. then Lacry asked about Moon Druid specifically

Cael

Arcane
Only if Pun-Pun was in the PHB and you have a 1/3 chance to pick it when playing kobolds.
So, in 5th Ed, you don't get to pick your class? Typical woketard of the cunts nonsense: Everyone's equal and has equal chance of sucking. Let your race and class be random!!!!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Only if Pun-Pun was in the PHB and you have a 1/3 chance to pick it when playing kobolds.
So, in 5th Ed, you don't get to pick your class? Typical woketard of the cunts nonsense: Everyone's equal and has equal chance of sucking. Let your race and class be random!!!!
Are you an alien from outer space who tries to mimic human interaction?

Cael

Arcane
Are you an alien from outer space who tries to mimic human interaction?
You are the one who said I had a 1/3 chance to pick it. That explicitly means randomness.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You are the one who said I had a 1/3 chance to pick it. That explicitly means randomness.
chance
/tʃɑːns/

noun
noun: chance; plural noun: chances
a possibility of something happening.
"there is a chance of winning the raffle"

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Make them actually worshipping evil gods
Btw, I realized that Lacrymas haven't said out loud why (with all his love to the clerics) he/she decided to go with "there no God, lol" solution, instead of making a decent pantheon or oat least one god. Probably laziness. Or I miss something?
and you've basically got some weird setting where Chaos won.
Tbh Chaos winning would be improvement for inhabitants of Lacrymas's setting, but, unfortunately, forces of Chaos decided that it would be more fun to invade Ultramar. Sure, Ultramar chant is too catchy and marines wear toilet seat as insignia, BUT anything is better than....
Wait, what's setting name again?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Because I don't like having actual, real gods in a setting. It dooms the setting to play by the gods' rules and they become waaaay too important. Look at basically any setting with gods in it, including our own history with the Greek/Norse/Egyptian mythology.

Robert Erick

Educated
Because I don't like having actual, real gods in a setting. It dooms the setting to play by the gods' rules and they become waaaay too important. Look at basically any setting with gods in it, including our own history with the Greek/Norse/Egyptian mythology.
The gods of our own universe were all important because they were the center of the universe. For greeks specifically, gods were existence, and they were as fickle as the sea and dangerous as war because they were the physical embodiment of these concepts, and the greeks traversed their world and served the gods, not the other way around. But that's neither here nor there. What's important is how is there divine magic without the divine? Can't you just rename it to something else?

Lacrymas

Arcane
The people think what they worship is divine. Who are you/we to tell them they are not? And the priests do get their powers from somewhere, at least that's what they think and they are not wrong.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Thank you for reply, now can you grace us with actual name for your setting? Because setting should have a name and refer to it as "Lacrymas's setting" quite inconvenience.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Thank you for reply, now can you grace us with actual name for your setting? Because setting should have a name and refer to it as "Lacrymas's setting" quite inconvenience.
It's called Demes with an accent on the second e.
I don't see how my setting doesn't make sense.

The most mind boggling thing is that you think wizards would create a society dominate by magic, and this is bad, but then create setting that is dominated by divine magic. Which is fine since any level of high magic in a society would become dominated by that magic. But you are acting like it isn't the exact same problem.

Not that I have a problem with a setting having only divine magic or low magic in general, but IIRC you said that it isn't even really divine magic in your setting anyway as it comes from a different source than the gods. So it is really just magic, the same as arcane magic.

Your main sticking point seems to be that magic can't be hereditary, as then it becomes *"fascism". Even though you could just create some reason why magical ability is not hereditary and still allow the arcane spell casting classes. And it still doesn't explain why a society dominated by magic, as long as it isn't hereditary, is fine. If it is the hereditary thing, I am 100% certain that a powerful church controlling society the way they do in your setting would pretty immediately become hereditary with the leaders making sure their children also became leaders in the church. Especially since the Church leaders don't have to actually worry about receiving the favor or actual divine entities or anything.

*You have a retarded definition for fascism, too.
I have explained this many times. The empire is not dominated by magic, it's dominated by religion. The church doesn't legitimise its rule through magical power, but through cultural and ideological dominance. In theory, they can be toppled and the power usurped, I have specifically made it so that this is possible, with the hope the setting can be more dynamic and changing, as opposed to static like Forgotten Realms. Yes, toppling them comes with a great price (the druids keep the land maximally fertile), but that's good.

Magic being biologically hereditary is not "fascism", it's a fascy concept. Yes, the church leaders can appoint their children and so make power hereditary again. However, there are other factors to consider. The church is not a single entity, it's a trinity of institutions that are not 100% politically aligned and so do not wish the others to consolidate power. There are also other influential institutions, like the merchant guilds and the military. They might not be the de facto rulers but they still have power.

I have also explained why arcane magic even without heredity is bad - it's still raw power which can alter reality and it's blindingly obvious the setting will turn into a magocracy. If it somehow doesn't, it will still have plot-insulation potential which I hate or it will still somehow pull all stories around it. Dragon Age managed a single game which didn't revolve around mages in some way and everything is about mages after that. It's a parasite and a creative black hole which has dominated fantasy writing for too long and I aim to change that.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Divine magic is by definition limited and that ensures it's not going to fall into the same narrative trap as arcane magic.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's limited because the source of power is at least external and that external source dictates what is possible and what isn't. You can't create your own spells, unlike with arcane magic. It also implies some kind of ideological filter, it's magic which is always used for specific purposes and within specific parameters or a specific context. If nothing else, it is at least categorically different which forces people to intuitively think of it differently. If it was the same thing, I wouldn't receive the backlash I do.

Cael

Arcane
chance
/tʃɑːns/

noun
Right. If I truly get to pick, then there is no chance involved. There is CHOICE. Now, if I have to roll a dice to see which class I get and therefore have a CHANCE to get the one I want, then randomness is involved.

Trithne

Erudite
chance
/tʃɑːns/

noun
Right. If I truly get to pick, then there is no chance involved. There is CHOICE. Now, if I have to roll a dice to see which class I get and therefore have a CHANCE to get the one I want, then randomness is involved.

This is a level of pedantry not even you will typically go to. No, your subclass is not random. But a player choosing their subclass, assuming they are not picking it because they studied the meta and chose accordingly, but instead just grabs whichever one appeals to them, has a 1 in 3 chance of picking the good one anyway.

Cael

Arcane
chance
/tʃɑːns/

noun

This is a level of pedantry not even you will typically go to. No, your subclass is not random. But a player choosing their subclass, assuming they are not picking it because they studied the meta and chose accordingly, but instead just grabs whichever one appeals to them, has a 1 in 3 chance of picking the good one anyway.
Ah. You go around picking subclasses at RANDOM, then? You are definitely not a roleplayer, then. Just a MMO-whore.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
But if there are no gods... then "divine" magic is not actually divine. It's just magic.
And thus we can conclude that "clerics" of Demes is basically a different flavor of wizard. So much work from Lacrymas to remove wizards from D&D, yet they still reign supreme over mankind in his own setting. In fact they somehow got more social power than in some "high magic settings" and got much less competition from other spellcasters. Gentleman and ladies, we come to full circle. Not first time in this thread though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom