Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's talk about Lacrymas' homebrew fantasy setting where paladins are eunuchs

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That is very weird, please clarify your reasons behind that.
There is only one other source of magical healing in my setting (and there are no "true" resurrections). Paladins are essentially eunuchs, sworn to one of the churches with a strict vow of chastity. If they break that vow and someone finds out, they get castrated. I figured they should get something special, i.e. Lay on Hands is the only character-based healing, in order to "justify" the immense requirements.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
The more I learn about Lacrymas's setting, the more I wonder what kind of monster would agree to play this on regular basis. And no, I knew several people with rather borderline liberal/left leaning/etc mindset (at least by codex measurement, I think) who would say "fuck off" to Lacrymas if he offered them to play his shitty setting, so answer "woke people" does not count. Probably masochistic fetishists, but something tells me that even CBT connoisseurs would consider his setting as '"a bit too much".

Let's follow Lacrymas's logic a bit:
Lacrymas: "My D&D setting does not have wizards."
Sane people: "Ok, why?" ( probably expecting something cool like Sci-fi or something like Darklands)
Lacrymas: "cuz they are fascist!1!1"
Sane people: "wtf, how? Why?"
Lacrymas: "cuz they have talent which not availabe to other people"
Sane people: "But...But it's in D&D rules, that anybody who ready to dedicate their live to magical studies could become a wizard, similar to how people become engineer or scientists IRL. Power of wizards would be different ofc, just as qualification of scientists IRL"
Lacrymas: "Reee why then not everybody wizard reee"
Sane people : "Because not everybody attracted to this career, just like not all people would like to spend their life on science IRL! Also why churches with their abusive and omnipotent gods not fascistic then? *background noises of approval from barbarian players with comments about wizards being too nerdy to play *"
Lacrymas: "reee, reee *denial noises* ree"
All people in genreral: *giving up to address Lacrymas's sanity and trolling begins*
Barbarian players: *freinzied rage against Lacrymas for indirectly insulting their class begins, players of other martial classes trying to multiclass into barbarian and join the fray*

Several threads of Lacrymas dying on "the hill"(tm) for corporations and their lazy products (Diablo Resurrected thread) and acting as parody and satirical example of left leaning liberal passes...

Lacrymas: "Guys did ya know I have my own homebrew D&D setting? And only Paladins can heal people here."

Larianshill (aka "the only guy who not know how shitty Lacrymas's setting is"): "Hmm, can you clarify?"

Lacrymas: " Well it's because "totallynotfascistic(tm)" church castrate paladins, if their Orwellian spy network learns that paladin dared to be human and get laid, so I had to give them healing for compensation to pretend that I care. Even though in my setting potions are enough and paladins as healers are useless."

Larianshill: *slowly backs off*

Nerdy individuals, who quietly studies magic in their towers and in general let other people live as they please - reee "fascists" (c) Lacrymas

Organization of militant control freaks, who hold monopoly on magic in the name of powerful (and apparently vengeful) "divine" patron and employ army of castrated slaves (because being eunuchs kinda implies being a slave) + housing spy network, prying into people's lives + mug everyone on additional taxes for very vague services or "just cuz" (clerics can't even heal in his setting for fuck sake) + burn or demonize anyone who disagree with their dogma - Totally liberal, progressive and not fascist (c) Lacrymas

10/10 logic, just 10/10

I probably should leave Lacrymas with his BDSM setting alone, but it's just jarring to see person who brags about his broad and tolerant views and then create D&D setting so boring and restrictive, yet act proudy about it everywhere.

Note for people who not that familiar with situation - I usually don't hate cleric players nor consider myself a militant atheist, but I find Lacrymas behavior sometimes just bizarre.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Let's follow Lacrymas's logic a bit:
Lacrymas: "My D&D setting does not have wizards."
Sane people: "Ok, why?" ( probably expecting something cool like Sci-fi or something like Darklands)
Lacrymas: "cuz they are fascist!1!1"
Sane people: "wtf, how? Why?"
Lacrymas: "cuz they have talent which not availabe to other people"

I had forgotten about that one. All those damned fascist black sprinters :argh:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Rinslin Merwind, here's the thing - maybe my persona and setting seem nonsensical to you ...because you present them nonsensically and it's not at all what I actually espouse? Just a thought.

Perhaps... you are the one who presents them nonsensically Lacrymas? It is odd that so many of us consider your creations and views nonsensical - either they are that, or you are incapable of presenting them in a coherent manner.

Bara

Arcane
I regret asking.

You have called forth maddess upon this thread.

Welcome to the club! Last time I did thay by asking why Lacry was not a fan of the mage in NJClaw's solasta party being named after them.

It's always the most innocent questions.

Vatnik Wumao
Welcome to the club! Last time I did thay by asking why Lacry was not a fan of the mage in NJClaw's solasta party being named after them.
Link?

You sure?
Yeah, but I've found the thread. I recall reading parts of the discussion back when they occurred, but meh. It's just your average Lacrymas.

Was expecting it to be about how the appropriation of his persona by NJClaw was problematic or some other nonsense like that. :M

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Lacrymas is truly the only person capable of uniting the codex... Sadly only against his nonsensical shenanigans it seems though...

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Link?

You sure?
Yeah, but I've found the thread. I recall reading parts of the discussion back when they occurred, but meh. It's just your average Lacrymas.

Come to think of it, I will have to name my next RaHoWa character after xir. Xir would like it, Lacrymas?

Cael

Arcane
Rinslin Merwind, here's the thing - maybe my persona and setting seem nonsensical to you ...because you present them nonsensically and it's not at all what I actually espouse? Just a thought.

You were being metaphorical regarding the stuff about the paladins being castrated, right?
giphy.gif

Larianshill

Arbiter
I am going to keep an open mind. So, what is your setting about? What are the central conflicts, who are the big villains? You mentioned paladins of one church - so it's monotheistic? Are there any clerics? Are there any wizards? Sorcerers?

Lacrymas

Arcane
The nonsensical parts are about how I think "wizards are fascists" yet I create "fascist" churches which castrate their Paladins.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That answered none of the questions burning in my mind.
That wasn't aimed at you. At for my setting, my main premise was the removal of all traces of the arcane. So no wizards, sorcerers, warlocks, arcane tricksters, etc. I just don't think a setting in which arcane magic exists and isn't heavily regulated won't turn into a mageocracy at the first opportunity. Therefore, I decided to remove the cause instead of fighting the symptom. There are clerics and druids. How can there be a "central conflict" of an entire setting? There are central conflicts in individual stories. Ditto for big villains. As for the religion, there are multiple aspects of the same umbrella concept and you can worship one or more of these aspects.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom